/pcbg/: Kaby i5 Suicide Edition

/pcbg/: Kaby i5 Suicide Edition.
Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC, BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List which GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 aren't worthwhile, unless for highly single threaded tasks. e.g. dwarf fortress & emulators
>i5 aren't worthwhile. No exceptions. Drop down to G4560 or up to i7
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget, consider 6700k and/or a locked motherboard + cheaper cooler; not chasing 4.8Ghz capable when you weren't gonna overclock - or get Ryzen 7.
>R7 or Xeon for compute & multitask workstations

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>1060GB, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over any card weaker than an 1060 3GB, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help here
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity

>Ryzen 7 is the only good part of Ryzen. Anything is a horrible attempt to compete with Pentium/i3/i5.

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

topachat.com/pages/detail2_cat_est_micro_puis_rubrique_est_w_cm_1151_puis_ref_est_in10102805.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/4VYnFd
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zMNppb
pcpartpicker.com/list/63xgHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/sjdqgL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is using only a m.2 Samsung 960 evo for everything viable? Are hdd necessary if money is not a problem? Or is a 2.5 ssd more viable just for gayming?

Everything aside from heavy storage/backup unless you've got some ridiculous level of redundancy, assuming money is no object.

My PC died and I'm building a new one. However I've been out of sync with hardware developmets for 6+ years now, so I'm likely to purchase mismatched components or overspend on stupid shit.

Browsing logicalincrements I've put together that list:
>GPU
GTX1060-6GB - 275€
>CPU
i5 7600K - 270€
>Cooler
NH-U14S - 70€
>Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z270XP-SLI - 160€
>RAM
Crucial CT2K8G4DFD8213 16GB - 110€
>HDD
Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB, ST2000DM006 - 80€
>SSD
Crucial MX300 525GB - 145€
>Power Supply
EVGA 650W SuperNOVA 650 GS Modular - 110€

What I do plan playing on it:
Modded Crusader Kings 2 (modder went overboard with details, needs a good CPU and SSD to not run at a snails pace)
Witcher 3 (doesn't need to be on very high/ultra, although if it's possible to achieve that without too much extra cost, that would be nice)
Rainbow Six Siege
Total War: Warhammer
Various other games games that run on toasters.

I also need a bunch of other stuff (another monitor for dual screen and other peripherals), but those can come later.
Any help would be much appreciated.

(From the last thread)
So, i'm making an Upgrade to my pc. Here's what I'm thinking to buy:

Motherboard: GA-Z170M-D3H DDR4
Processor: Intel Core i5-7600k KabyLake
RAM: HyperX 8GB DDR4 (2400Mhz) // (or maybe 16GB)
GPU: EVGA GTX 970- 4GB RAM (this I already have, so deal with it.)

Mainly for Gaming.

I'm from Brazil, so the prices are something like:
MB: ~U$200,00
PC: ~U$300,00
RAM: 8/16GB ~ U$130/250

Budget: ~U$800

* "GET AN i7 !" *
Well, an i7 in Brazil are over U$450,00, maybe it's not worthwhile.

S-should I do it?

Shit motherboard, shit RAM, shit GPU and shit processor, but I have the feeling you're just going to say "DURR BRAZIL" to every suggested change so maybe explain specifically what you want advice on.

If it's daddy's money, why not.

Seriously though that's fine if you want to spend that much, but you could definitely save on the motherboard without losing anything. I personally wouldn't get an MSI video card either. Also aren't there better SSDs than the MX300 for that money?

Or maybe you could do a suggestion and we could start this discussion...
But ok, let me be more specific.

My last motherboard died, so anything would be an "upgrade". U$800 is my budget now, if I save a little bit more, I could get U$1000, but i'm spending no more than that...

As I said, I already have the GTX970 and I have no intention to change it for a while.
I pretend to stay in 1080p screen until I change my GPU. (and hope the prices of 4K screens get lower, because is over U$800 right now)

I wish it was.

There aren't that many good mATX desu.
I was thinking of getting this one: topachat.com/pages/detail2_cat_est_micro_puis_rubrique_est_w_cm_1151_puis_ref_est_in10102805.html
But I'm already spending 2k at this point and I want to be sure the mobo won't fry when I OC.
It's the cheapest 1TB SSD I could find.

that seems good. If you're in doubt just try logicalincrements.com

If anything, you could replace the i5 for a G4560 to save a lot of money, though it would be a bottleneck to the 1060

Ok I'm a poorfag so I can't really upgrade to a completely new pc, but I want to get a little more out of this $500 hp my dad got me 6 years ago

Sup Forums told me that since it's an apu upgrading the ram will do some good. On the hp website it says the motherboard supports:
PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
PC3-14400 (DDR3-1866)
What's the highest I should go? I don't want to spend $100 on the 1866 MHz, but I'll get it if necessary. I'm selling some of my stuff to afford this so I'm trying to be as frugal as possible. If you guys could give any recommendations it would be great. I mainly play csgo and my fps jumps from 50 to 120+ constantly and it would be great if I could make it a little higher and more stable.

Sorry if this post seems silly, but I just need some help.

Jesus christ did you even see the OP? Am I responding to bait?

I wouldn't go for the nhu9s if you value Temps, get a Scythe Fuma and delid my man. Lower costs, and the Fuma performs similarly to the nhd15. Also I've heard the handles on that bitfenix are a tad floppy. Arctic silver 5 is obsolete, since you are spending this much anyway might as well buck up for some thermal Grizzly kryonaut or some gelid extreme. You could get a mydigitalssd bpx nvme drive to shave a few shekels, and you won't notice the difference between a 1070 and a 1080 unless you are pushing 4k or extreme AA, or very high refresh rates, you could save like 140 eurobux there

Building my first PC soon. I have the parts list all figured out.
I plan to reuse the hdd from an HP I was given recently (less than a year old HDD, 1TB. The HP itself is about 2 to 2 and a half years old.) How would I go about wiping everything from the hdd so I can reuse it?

Does anyone here have familiarity with what makes a good video editing PC? I'm trying to budget one for $1,100 and this is what I came up with using my very limited knowledge:

pcpartpicker.com/list/4VYnFd

Is there anything that you could recommend I do differently or possibly consider an entire new build you could show me? Thank you in advance.

It's not worth spending money on. DDR3 memory will be worthless for gaymers soon. Buy a 480/1060 in the meantime and just put that in the system to play CS:GO, then save and use that in a new system. Of course it will be bottlenecked as fuck but it will still be a huge improvement in games.

Thinking of upgrading the RAM to 32gb as it gets eaten up while doing heavier editing. Except that I fucking goofed and got 4x4gb modules for this because it was cheaper. Lesson learned.

Just reformat it, without quick format.

get an 8gb rx480 u retard

I tried to buy a 750ti 2 years ago and my motherboard wouldn't support. Like something with the uefi compatibility.

Can I do this after it's installed in the new PC? I was under the impression it had to be done first.

Primarily for video editing? 1700 is a better and (slightly) cheaper choice if you use software that can properly utilize the extra cores (I know After Effects will).

so are any of the ryzen 5 chips worth getting if you are on a budget of $850?

Should i change my 6600k for a r7 1700?

My goal is BF1/CS:Go and video editing, i have a RX 480 4GB.

You can format it during Windows setup or download a bootable disk manager application or use a Linux live disk.

If you're on a budget then you'd have to be retarded not to go with an AMD processor and video card.

100% senpai.

Yes, go with a 1700. OP is an Intel shill trying to steer people towards Intel processors with no solid evidence for his convictions.

For general gaming at that price, yeah. For single core stuff just get a Pentium.

Seems to just have some bias against AMD, since they removed the Fury and 480 from the suggested graphics cards without even editing the note about the 1060 to make sense.

Alright, so I don't need to reformat it until it's in the new PC. Got it.
Now. I was contemplating installing ubuntu first just to get things rolling, and later on add windows. I could reformat it during the ubuntu installation, and it would work with windows later, right?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/4VYnFd
That's a gamer only machine. Ryzen is nearly 2x as good for video as what you just built for the same price.

alright thanks. i guess il wait for the benchmarks when they come out over the course of this month. though i get a feeling that the ryzen 5 will do fine

You're basically just fucked. Like the other guy said, it's not worth investing any more into that PC. There is no guarantee faster DDR3 will even help much. You are completely CPU and GPU bottlenecked (in different situations) even in a game like CS:GO. Time to move on.

It'll be an upgrade in anything highly threaded like BF1 multiplayer and video editing. Sucks that you fell for the i5 meme last year though.

well it's going to be a couple years before I can. Thanks for the insight though!

Don't listen to the retards here or in other forums.

Inform yourself, and then if you have an IQ over 100, you will choose to wait for Zen+ and don't jump on this early adopter shit.

>gpu
r9 290x

>motherboard
Msi z-87 gd65

>cpu
Dual core i5 4570t

>ram
16gb 2133 free

I'm pretty sure my CPU is what's bottlenecking me. My question is do I absolutely have to upgrade the motherboard and the ram just if I want a new CPU?

Reformatting will wipe everything. Install Ubuntu won't make any difference if you format it after, as long as you format it in NTFS for Windows which can be done in the Windows setup as I said. If you install Windows over the top of Ubuntu, it will probably kek the bootloader and you'll need to tinker to get back to your Ubuntu install.

So windows first, than ubuntu. alright. Thanks for the help.

>dual core i5 with hyperthreading
The fuck. I didn't even know that existed outside of something like a laptop. Anyway, yeah that's probably your bottleneck, but it's hard to say for certain without knowing what you're doing.

Get a job.

You are correct. You can use your existing parts if you buy a 1150 CPU from wherever you can find one.

I got my rebate card in the mail. Is getting a smaller SSD just for the OS advised? We're talking like 60GB

I live 80 miles from the closest town. The only thing I have is an internet connection

why not get ryzen? are you going to be using your pc mainly for gaming?

What I have:
GPU: GTX 970 4GB
PS : Corsair 600W
Screen : 1080p 144hz

What I want:
Motherboard: ???
Processor: ???
RAM: ???

I have U$800 Budget (1000 if I save few more months). MAINLY FOR GAMING.
What do you recommend for those 3 components?

Remember to “Install Ubuntu alongside Windows Boot Manager” during setup. You may have to change boot priority to avoid going straight to the Windows boot manager.

Only if you GOTTA BOOT FAST.>

>GTX 970 4GB
No you don't.

out of curiosity what are the chances that my graphics card is fucked

oooh I do =(

>GTX 970 3.5 GB
I know you're the BR from the last thread. Alright now that that's out of the way, is Ryzen an option in Brazil? If not, you might be looking at 7600k/z270 as your only option since I think you said you couldn't afford an i7. You will be able to hit 144 fps in basic games like cs:go with an i5 but not something like a AAA game or BF1. Not sure what's important to you.

That video card won't do much new stuff at close to 144 with high settings. You also have a decent budget to say you've already got a PSU. Personally i'd sell the 970, save more and get a 1070.

Pretty good.

Will it speed the system up any or is it just a meme?

I could save for a 250GB if it'll improve vidya performance

Yup, I actually can't afford an i7 right now. But maybe I could save and get one later... But as I said, an i7 its something like U$450++ ...
Do you think would worth it? Which i7 could be a good option?

An SSD won't give you moar frames ever. If you install Windows on it, you'll get much, much faster boot times and applications on it will load faster. Unless you're buying a new setup without a HDD or have a specific need for speed, it's not really worthwhile.

should i get that g.skill flarex 2400mhz or some other 3200mhz memory for b350 platfrom?

Trident Z RGB so you can show your pride

Hello Sup Forums,

how is this build looking for my own gaming station?

I am not so good with PCs but my friend said this will be a beast of gaming.

What do you think?

It would run open world games better since they are constantly loading and unloading assets.

No, well yes, kind of.
I wanted to go with Ryzen but the multithreaded performance isn't that good and I can't find x370 mATX mobos for it.

Yeah, I thought about that....but I think I`ll keep it for a while .... I`m just buying the another stuff because my last motherboard died.
So I pretend to make a "decent upgrade" on MB, RAM and Processor by now and maybe, in the future, a new GPU (and probably a 4k screen...)

1/10 for getting a (You).

Games are normally smart enough to prefetch enough so you won't get stutter until some assets are loaded.

question. What advantage does Ubuntu have over windows? I see the argument all the time. I know Ubunto has less support and less programs that will work

Not being a botnet, actually being usable, stability, performance.
If you don't need any Windows specific programs, it will be a much more pleasant experience once you get used to it.
This goes for any Linux distro, not just Ubuntu.

Much too complex a question. Pretty much any Linux based OS is superior to Windows for general usage in countless areas and you'd be better protected from CIA niggers.

If you're trying to upgrade for gayman then the biggest upgrade is going to be a better video card, but the CPU is also going to hold you back in many games and is going to be limiting in games like CSGO that love high performance single-dual core.

For games getting an actual video card will give you many times better performance than trying to stick with the APU and get faster ram. Since your PSU is invariably shit, you should look for something that doesn't require external power.

If you really want to upgrade, consider getting a RX460 2GB which can work just on PCI-E (which I am assuming your motherboard has), but depending on your outlook in the next year or so you might be better off just saving for a new system.

Get out of the thread, Terry.

Please don't buy a 460 if you have limited money. Pretty much worthless card price/performance wise and you will not be able to regain money reselling.

not a homo so no thanks

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zMNppb

Thoughts?

What does the nVidia GPU help with for neural networks?

>Unless you're buying a new setup without a HDD or have a specific need for speed, it's not really worthwhile.
Looking over my build. I already have a 1TB HDD and was going to use a 120GB SSD as the boot drive but this gave me pause

Is the SSD really worth it or should I just replace it with another 1TB drive for the same price? budget is important to me. It's one or the other.

Kinda goofy case in my personal opinion but other than that should be solid for 1080p gayming. Any reason you picked a blower style 1060, other than price? It'll work fine, just could be a touch louder than open fans, but the 1060 is a pretty cool card so it may never be an issue. The Corsair CX power supplies are "just alright" quality. 500W is plenty for that system but if you can upgrade in quality a bit, do it.

>co.cn
>cn

Don't skip on the SSD. It makes a huge difference in the overall user experience to have at least your OS running on an SSD even if it's a cheap, basic one.

would would be a better quality power supply then?

Hey guys, there has been a question that has been plaguing me since Ryzen 5 series has been announce and that is - why are people more excited about R5 1400 than R5 1500X ?
Help me understand cause it makes no sense to me, for 20 dollars you get DOUBLE the memory cache, a 300/300mhz boost out of the box, a better cooler - Wraith Spire (95W) as opposed to Wraith Stealth (65W) and the X factor (binning) which coupled with the better cooler should get you an easy 3.8ghz Overclock out of the box with safe temperatures even if you don't want to get into overclocking (4 cores = less heat).
The hole R5 series is a conundrum to me, given the pricing and the R5 1600, but really I can understand someone not being able to invest another 50 dollars in their system (given the whole RAM-Infinity Fabric business), but not spending an additional 20 bucks feels like a waste. 12% price increase for a lot of benefits. Waiting for R3 makes more sense if you want a budget build than a R5 1400.
Please tell me if I'm right or wrong, and if I'm wrong, why so ?

Is there any point picking 3000MHz DDR4 RAM on Kaby Lake?

alright. Thanks. I feel better about my build now.
Someone in the previous thread helped me select parts for my budget, mainly the motherboard, graphics card, and optical drive.
pcpartpicker.com/list/63xgHN
I know this fits my budget, but how would this be reliability-wise? I tried to pick parts with high ratings and reviews. And no, I'm not changing the case.

Seasonic M12II 520W

Yeah, faster is better, in general. It's not a world of difference but Kaby Lake does respond to RAM speed in some situations. Up to you to decide if it's worth the cost.

dont fall for 3000mhz meme.unless if you can afford it

Nah, just get 2133MHz stuff. Literally everybody knows that RAM speed doesn't affect gaming at all.

It appears that the ryzen isn't compatible with that build. You mind whipping something up for me?

Should I get 8gb 4000 Mhz or 16gb 3200 Mhz RAM? they're both the same price

Idk what Euro countries this is but in Germany if you look around a bit you can find 1080s for 500-550€ even non-shit brands like evga or gigabyte. 620 seems a bit over the top

That's like the most extreme example, but yeah, it should be a given to get the fastest you can reasonably afford if you're interested in gaming.

Actually here is what I made. Can anyone tell me if there is anything better I can do with any of the parts and keep it same price or cheaper? (Again this is for video editing)

pcpartpicker.com/list/sjdqgL

best b350 board?

>this scenario is an exaggeration as the GPU is a major limiting factor in performance and by using a Titan X at a low resolution, we have removed that bottleneck
hmm really makes you think

Pretty solid for a budget system for basic gayming. You sure you need the blu-ray though? The case is... well, it has nice reviews!

I need a back-up server after my last back-up solution failed (never trust WD Cloud/NAS shitboxes). I prefer to build my own, but I don't know which software to get. Any help?

honestly i would wait a month after ryzen releases

>heh just wait bro
NO

Yes I need the blu-ray. But thanks. I feel better about the build now.

I was thinking about getting the ryzen 5 when it comes out tomorrow, but will I really utilize everything it has to offer if I'm just gonna be gaymen?
should I just get some sort of i7 instead?

I'd swap out the 1700x for a 1700. The H7 is a nice cooler for the price but you could maybe get by with the stock cooler depending on how hard you want to overclock. They're actually not too bad it seems. Also, make sure that RAM jives well with Ryzen motherboards.