Is this the most frustrating hack yet...

>Is this the most frustrating hack yet? Bizarre attack forces people to get a high score in an anime GAME to decrypt their files
>Rensenware is a new malicious programme that is infecting systems
>It encrypts documents, music and pictures, making them inaccessible
>To decrypt files, you must score 0.2 billion on a difficult anime shooter game
>The creator has since apologised for the 'joke' and released a code to remove the malware without having to play the game

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4397492/Attack-forces-people-high-score-anime-GAME.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w337ij3wtXA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I remember one from late 80s early 90s where you played a little game every time you booted up your computer.

Touhou master race.

>The creator has since apologised for the 'joke' and released a code to remove the malware without having to play the game
What a fucking faggot

This. This was an autistic as fuck thing in the first place, but somehow apologizing and fixing it makes him even more autistic.

that's pretty adorable, actually

He just made it as a proof of concept, never distributed a binary or infected anyone. So obviously people getting infected with it wasn't what he intended.

where can I get it?

So...how is he not arrested yet?

So Sup Forums, can we fix it so that one can't hack the game to remove the malware?

One way to do this would be to do the typical ransomware shindig, except instead of the user providing a payment they send a replay file of the game to a server which sends them a key to decrypt if the replay is valid. Touhou games allow you to save a replay of the game to show off.

What we do is keep a database of all replays submitted and see if any newly submitted replays are unique. This prevents one replay from being used to unlock all victim machines.

Because of things like RNG and noise introduced by the human, it is very unlikely that two real people playing the game would generate the same replay files. It is also unlikely that two people will play through the same level the same way. Thus any huge similarities at all pretty much give away that someone is trying to fake it.

So using touhou replays we have a decently strong way for proof of work

He didn't actually do shit. He just made some malware as a joke, or proof-of-concept. That's not illegal. All the infections were done by other who took his shit and ran with it.

Creating lockpicks is not illegal, using them on someone else's home is.

The original might not be on Github, but there's a declawed version of it up I think.

>anime game
>isn't an actual anime
quality journalism

>touhou
>not anime
youtube.com/watch?v=w337ij3wtXA
quality Sup Forums post

That isn't even official.
quality newfag post

I've been considering something like this instead of a password.
i.e. to decrypt my hard drive you need to reach 60 seconds in super hexagon hardestest.
>tfw the court tries to unlock my hard drive.

>YouCuck video as a proof
Wow
Quality argument

>super hexagon
>hard

pfffff

>tabloid can't spell the name of the malware, or even spell it consistently

He's korean.
If this was the US, he'd probably be guilty of 3+ laws and they'd throw the book at him for distributing malware, especially a cryptolocker.

He just uploaded the source to github. He didn't distribute the binary.

Quality samefag posts