What does ibm do these days?

What does ibm do these days?

Other urls found in this thread:

chemistryworld.com/news/ibms-first-commercial-quantum-computer-could-shake-up-chemistry/2500518.article
reut.rs/2nwfIr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The BM part.

Mediocre consulting, and selling off business units, so they can pour money into watson, and let it bleed their company dry.

they are about the release the first commercial quantum computer:
chemistryworld.com/news/ibms-first-commercial-quantum-computer-could-shake-up-chemistry/2500518.article

>inb4 D-Wave

Bad consulting.

Overprices outsourcing.

Basically Accenture with a niche server division.

>Number of employees 380,300

what the FUCK

Doesn't count the billion pahjeet subcontractors.

Mostly make and distribute systems you'll never have anything to do with.

Cloud and Watson

Bump

They make mainframes, just like they have for the past 60 years.

THE

DANKESTEST

MEMES

why don't these faggots just move to x86-64 like everybody else

Because POWER still rocks.

Consulting, and they still have some enterprise software products like Bix Fix. Believe it or not people still use lotus too.

because POWER architecture is great for the parallel computing those machines do

IBM z doesn't use POWER.

It has its own crazy CISC processor that's backward compatible way back to the mainframes IBM sold in the 60s.

So banks are still running programs that were written by some nerd 40 years ago?

Yes

That's why they're buying IBM z, which costs like $2M minimum.

They don't want to pay someone to rewrite programs someone wrote first in punch cards 50 years ago.

i don't know but i told my boss she should call them to come fix our fuck up of a system and get us a new system working.

Tape libraries also.

>60s
>40 years ago
helo darknes my old friend

reut.rs/2nwfIr

MMmmmm IBM z

can run 40,000 VMs at once

yes please

They're getting into the medical industry, for one. Gonna use Watson for individualized treatment and to administer algorithmic treatment routines.

1960 was 57 years ago, not 40.

i know

R&D, POWER, mainframes, consulting

Because x86 isn't a good idea for their mainframes and POWER's better than it too. It'd be an all around downgrade.

AIX and TSM are still going strong.
Run both at my work.

use Macs

Noah when I was a kid the 60s were only 30 years ago and now I'm over 30 years old wtf hippies were within the range of my current lifetime back then shit

>They don't want to pay someone to rewrite programs someone wrote first in punch cards 50 years ago.

It's just that nobody made anything that can replace CISC + COBOL in terms of reliability and security yet.

oh god this is true. I feel like I'm the only thinkpad user there sometimes. makes me feel bad