What kind of future does Python have? Will it be used for non-scientific programming 5 years from now?

What kind of future does Python have? Will it be used for non-scientific programming 5 years from now?

python fags get out REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I hope not. Shit language tbqh.

l337 hackers use python

Is it worth finally learning python 3.x?

CIA niggers are RAPING Windows users with Python.
'Grasshopper: Look Before you Leap'
>tfw you're a windows user.

The only thing I'm currently jealous of is python is good about messing with strings easy. Java not so much.

Why not learn the latest version of the language?

it's a popular scripting language with some good tools like numpy and a variety of other math based libraries. it makes it easy to automate things in a few lines of code and basically replaced perl. it's gonna be around for 10 years at least.

no.
i haven't bothered to learn 3.x since most of the shit i work with at work was written with 2.x

Python 2.7 and 3.x are very similiar, especially since a lot of the new syntax was backported. Learn one and you're learning 98% of the other.

If you're a hobbyist, there's no reason not to use 3.

the only difference is print..
print ('hi')
vs
print 'hi' in 2.x

that's almost the only thing you're going to be doing differently

> the only difference is print..

No it's not, python3 is a whole new language, you seem that you don't know what you are talking about.

yea sry only been using python 10 years

>python3 is a whole new language
No it's really not.
Obviously it's not just the print function (which is not even a big deal since you can use print() in 2.7) but it's very easy for someone to transition between the two.

Python 3 is better simply because division finally makes sense.

>5 years from now
>people arguing about wether python2, python3 or python4 is worth learning
>modern websites use elixir2 on quantum multicore processors, meanwhile python still has a GIL and can't into concurrency
>old professors at university still use python, students moan about that old school language with all it's limitations

sounds familiar

I'm learning python but it's really for practical programming. I don't think I'll ever do any cs related stuff, so that's why I won't learn a language that's more 'cs'

I think python will be used more in 5 years. It's a versatile language that's easy to pick up

Anyone who has learned any other programming language will tell you that it is shit. It grinds my gear so fucking much with the lack of static typing and the goddamn mess of being forced to use indentation for code blocks. For loops you say? also completely FUCKED UP the goddamn range function shit what is up with that shit?

Programming languages need rigor, which cannot be found in python.

it's almost like you've never used any scripting language ever
>being forced to use indentation for code blocks.
Also don't understand this meme

I agree it is good for a scripting language, but don't come calling it a versatile language.

Python is easy and popular, the two things Sup Forums hates most in software. And yes obviously it will still be used in 5 years, if Delphi and VB are still in the top 10 most used languages you can bet your ass Python is not going anywhere anytime soon.

The only more versatile scripting language I can think of is JS.

>implicit type conversion
>it makes sense

What specifically are you talking about?

How do I get a job with Python?

he's talking about python being a garbage language

/thread

in python 3 there is implicit type conversion with int/int giving a float if the division has a remainder

It will go the way of Perl and will be replaced with Node as the shit-tier scripting language.

Nothing implicit about it. The / operator always returns float and // always returns int.

pythons has always been a language for quick and dirty shit, nothing more, and will always be.
i don't get why all people here are so obsessed with python. even fucking java is better than python.

this

python is more maintainable than any other dynamically typed script bullshit

>getting mad at indentation

Python's indentation is the easiest part. Why would you be upset about it?

Easy? if we're talking about easy it is way easier to use curly braces to denote code blocks and let your editor do the indentation. Get out.

I genuinely think that most of the hate here comes from CS grads resentful that Python is so much less obnoxious than the Java/C++ that they were forced to learn.

In the industry, where people see languages are tools instead of lifestyle choices or badges of honour, Python is overwhelmingly loved.

Checked

python has no future, but it's good while it lasts

because 99% of shit being maintained is 2.
thus 99% of people learning it learn 2.
python devs are retarded

Most editors handle the majority of your Python indentation automatically.
Braces may be easier to write, but they're uglier to read.

mate do you even know the rules

if any other dynamically typed script bullshit = js, perl and R it's about right, otherwise not
Python isn't so much the pinnacle of readability and maintainability a lot of morons preach

python is the pinnacle of unreadability

You can only get "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces" so many times before you want to fucking kill yourself

finally someone else on this godforsaken board that agrees with me

that or so many goddamn retarded python memebois here play the biggest bait ever

Seriously? There are a fuckton of programs that will auto lint or whatever the fuck you call it for you.
and stop switching between tabs and spaces.

how does that help

what fucking text editor cannot convert tabs to spaces and back?
how the fuck do you even get tabs mixed up with spaces in the first place?
do you just randomly switch between the two?

anyone who uses tabs instead of spaces should stop coding right now.

but the the fucking lint garbage, how does that help with not messing up your code when you fuck up tabs?

"lint" may have been the wrong word, but it will check for shit like that. either way, there are plenty of text editors that can fix shit like that with a few hot keys

but that's beside the point
how do you even get that error without being completely fucking new to programming in general.
of all the errors i've seen while working with python, i have not gotten that error in years

If you repeatedly get inconsistent use of tabs and spaces then frankly you should kill yourself for being so retarded.

they already crippled themselves with the 2 vs 3 thing. Python is on borrowed time. JS will probably take its place in scientific computing