---------------------- ~ Sup ForumsOS ~ --------- FUCK LINUX FINAL SOLUTION EDITION ~~~~-----------------

Alright.

I'm sick of this shit.

I'm sure you're sick of this shit.

Linux breaking, kernel bullshit, video drivers, no mainstream software,shit crashing, unintuitive desktop environments, muh games, the list goes on.

IT'S FUCKING HORSESHIT AND NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO LIVE LIKE THIS.

>Apple
>expensive and closed source

>Windows
>LMFAO

Alright. So, what next? There's BSD which is basically ghetto linux.

HOWEVER. WE ALSO HAVE THE KERNEL THAT POWERS MAC OS. HOW FUCKING COOL IS THAT?

Did you guys know THAT APPLE HAS TO OPEN SOURCE THEIR SHIT?!?:

github.com/opensource-apple/xnu

THIS IS THE FUTURE.

Honestly if HALF the Linux devs dropped that bullshit I bet we would have a fucking sick OS in less than a year. Looks fucking sick.

The way I see it, we need to assemble a core team of developers to implement the following:

1) Write a script to cross compile majority of Linux libs/drivers to the new environment

2) Implement a display servre

3) Build a desktop environment that users actually want to use

LET'S FUCKING DO THIS Sup Forums. SOMEONE FORK THE KERNEL AND LET'S MAKE THE COMPUTER GREAT AGAIN.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OjxprL35cy0
github.com/anongnix/4Plan
github.com/froggey/Mezzano
9front.org/
templeos.org/
ponyos.org/
jnode.org/
wiki.osdev.org/Projects
github.com/install-logos/logos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i'll make the logo

this isn't a linux distro tho

we need a name first

youtube.com/watch?v=OjxprL35cy0

Sup ForumsarWIN

???

Sup ForumsaymenOS

but I thought the xnu kernel is actually garbage?

$60 / day
$300 / week
$1200 / month

yo honestly this guy doesn't have to pay rent and makes $1200/month

he's high as fuck all the time so homelessness doesn't bother him.

He'll probably OD one day and die an no one will give a fuck.

If I died one day no one would give a fuck.

I pay rent.

It doesn't fucking matter.

Good for this guy.

what?

The kernel isn't the best thing about OS X. Really, the kernel barely even matters.
> Write a script to cross compile majority of Linux libs/drivers to the new environment
Why not just use linux
>Implement a display servre
Quartz is perfectly good and made by professionals
>Build a desktop environment that users actually want to use
Why not just use Aqua

>men
triggered

fucking Sup Forums decides to basically make their own distro/os
hell yeah
let me in

Calm down.
Linux is for non ms developers, sys admins (servers), open source and free software users.
Don't use it if you're neither of them.

Who forced you to install it?
Your dad?
Does he beat you?
Have you tried calling in child care?

Sup ForumsosNL
stands for Sup Forumsos is Not Linux

? linux kernel is way better than xnu hybrid kernel

the issue is half the GNU shit is garbage

do you not understand the difference?

>the kernel barely even matters.
Look at all the problems linux having right now. Tell me with a straight face that we can't do better.

>Quartz is perfectly good and made by professionals
License Proprietary software under EULA

>Why not just use Aqua

Maybe we're sick of choking on apple's dick

What issues is LINUX having?

LINUX does not exist.

GNU is fucking bullshit and you know matter.

GNU provides the utilities which form the primary user interface to the Linux kernel.

>City display server
>City drivers
>city community
>City future

GNU/Linux's modularity through Unix philosophy is one of its biggest flaws (and strengths for those who care for that aspect). If you go through with this in the manner you propose you will have the exact same issues. Except you will know enough about your new OS to not be bothered.
>driver translation
It's not an easy task user. Really you're gonna have a way to replicate the api of Linux perfectly? Unlikely.

>It's not an easy task user. Really you're gonna have a way to replicate the api of Linux perfectly? Unlikely.
I'm hoping to find some help~

Just use Linux then.

GNU is not linux.

Why isn't there a Linux distro that has the look and feel of Windows right out of the box? I know it's possible, since I've seen custom Linux themes, and there shouldn't be any legal issues, since ReactOS can get away with copying not only the aesthetics but internal behavior of Windows.

Sorry user I have other things to do.
Do like a Linus and start building your OS when you were a kid.

Why would you want the look and feel of windows though? It's not particularly good. Mint is pretty close to my perception though.

But... what actually makes the kernel good compared to Linux... simply the fact Apple developed it?

For normies who don't want to be known as Linux users.

LISP all the way down to the board.

Do you believe that normies regularly ask eachother what operating system they're using?
Op doesn't realise that Apple is actively pursuing a simpler target than Linux. They have a limited set of hardware they support and they limit their users to their platform and needs. So he just perceives Macos as better.
>you can't replace the kernel
But why?

>Do you believe that normies regularly ask eachother what operating system they're using?
No, but if they see you running Linux they can tell it isn't Windows.

BTFO'D

XSO: the other side of OSX, from gayOS to machoOS

just write a kernel for emacs tbqhdesufampai

What happened to Lo/g/os or whatever it was called?

And you think normies are like 'ew, she's not using Microsoft software, clearly she's not a professional like me!'?
I don't think they care beyond what inconvenience they may have in using the computer. And you normally don't use others personal computers for security reasons (yes, normies are extremely security conscious. If they weren't we'd have widespread issues with hacking).

we literally have this thread like once a week/day

pls stop we all know we can never get past the logo stages we always want to build it off of bsd/plan9 but desu xnu is new lol

And both OSX and Win is shit, we need a real universal OS

github.com/anongnix/4Plan
literally this is as far as we ever get...

lo/g/os

1) It has Sup Forums in it
2) Name is reference to logos as in ethos, pathos and logos. Logos meaning logic.
3) It's gonna have a good logo

>less than 20 lines of code
>already depends on features not supported in ANSI C89
it's like you guys didn't even try at all

github.com/froggey/Mezzano
9front.org/
templeos.org/
ponyos.org/
jnode.org/
Hall of the dead: wiki.osdev.org/Projects

Notice anything, user? If you're smart, you probably picked up at least one of the following:

none are usable
maybe one will boot on your hardware
you wouldnt touch any of them unironically

WOW!!! it sure is easy!!

>Honestly if HALF the Linux devs dropped that bullshit I bet we would have a fucking sick OS in less than a year. Looks fucking sick.
>less than a year

just tie the rope already

Doesn't make it good

>lo/g/os
That's already a dead Sup Forums OS
github.com/install-logos/logos

>Look at all the problems linux is having right now
The kernel is fine. Stop confusing GNU with a kernel.

Also, stop making up problems that don't exist.
>Linux breaking
Explain this. "Breaking" is not an adequate description.
>Kernel bullshit
Like what?
>video drivers
sudo apt-get install video driver?
>No mainstream software
Adobe and MS Office??? boo fucking hoo you can manage with the alternatives you fucking consumer shill
>shit crashing
bullshit
>unintuitive desktops
objectively false
>muh gaymes
literally not an argument
>the list goes on
what list, your list of bullshit that you made up?

There are no problems other than your own mental retardation that prevents you from using operating systems that a lot of people use every single day with no problem.

have you tried NixOS? it is a modern and different approach to GNU/Linux

All the fags replying to you put Sup Forums in it, which no normie would get. I recommend "Cloverfield"

I'll make the logo brb
[logo intensifies]

The best thing about Linux is the kernel.

GTK, gnome, KDE, X windows, QT.. all of these are deeply flawed. You can't escape them by switching to BSD either

Switch to Plan 9 and see the final endgame of the unix philosophy

Ni/g/g/erOS

/thread

I'll make the logo

>Sup ForumsosNGNU/L
>stands for Sup Forumsos is Not GNU/Linux

Sup Forums os shall probably be GuixSD using Hurd
'cause everyone loves GNU

Zorin replicates Windows on aesthetics

>everyone loves GNU
Try again

everyone adores GNU?

>Build a desktop environment that users actually want to use
Start by that user, because it's the hardest part, and so far it always went wrong.

The point can be extended to any piece of software, whether open source or proprietary, from WMs to NNTP protocol implementations.

OP is baiting. This is a bait thread.
I don't think you can be so retarded as to suggest that Sup Forums of all places cooperate to develop a fucking operating system. Or believe that it's going to be great just because it won't use the Linux kernel, when in reality the majority of Linux problems comes either from the lack of support from 3rd parties or from the lack of user knowledge rather than the OS itself.
Only a retarded delusional little kid that has no knowledge of anything would really come up with a thread like this one, if it was serious. So I'd rather believe it's bait than believe that this is the new userbase of Sup Forums.

Why don't you begin by exemplifying the problems with the Linux kernel and then explaining why a new OS developed by a small, completely disorganized community of antisocial retards using a different kernel would have no such problems.

The main problem with that is that people don't want to use anything other than Windows. Unless we're talking about an Apple product that is going to make them look hip and cool.
That is the single reason why the Linux desktop is never surpassing that 2 or 3%, because the other 97% simply doesn't care.

This is sure to be a success, rather than fizzling out like all the other times Sup Forums has decided to build an OS!

get a trip.

Also, even when Microsoft give Windows a fucking terrible, unusable interface, people still don't even contemplate using something other than Windows. It literally doesn't matter how good an interface you give your brilliant new idea for an OS; if it doesn't come preinstalled on the average PC and run whatever Windows software people want to use, no-one wants to know about it.

My parents, for example. More tech savvy than most people their age, know why Windows is shit and about the existence of Linux and Mac. Every time they complain about Windows being shitty, I remind them that there are other things they can use, and even offer to install and maintain Linux for them, but they always refuse because "we live in a Windows world".

>Linux breaking
MacOS also breaks. Every OS breaks. Linux breaks less than the average.
>kernel bullshit
Explain.
>video drivers
Linux has better driver support than Darwin (by a big margin).
>no mainstream software
Neither does Darwin, or do you think you can run Photoshop on it?
>shit crashing
Everything crashes, Linux crashes less than average (highest uptimes in the world are in Linux).
>unintuitive desktop environments
Opinion, and not even a common one.
>muh games
What games run on Darwin?
>the list goes on.
Then go on.

You're a dumb fuck who thinks he's magically going to take the macOS kernel, which is a patchwork of 3 different kernels because God forbid Apple actually develop an OS, and somehow develop a free version of macOS. It's just slapping this and that on top, right?
Do me a favor OP, name a couple of critical systems (i.e. can't be down more than a few seconds per year) running Darwin.
Isn't it weird how Linux is sooo bad yet it runs the huge majority of critical systems, the entire Top 500, the world banking system, almost all embedded systems, the majority of smartphones, the majority of servers?

Idk if you just have poor reading comprehension, but op wants to use the Darwin kernel with gnu core utilities.

>The main problem with that is that people don't want to use anything other than Windows
And linuxfags don't want to admit Microsoft gets UI right quite often. Well, anything since Windows 8 has been a slow disaster, but that aside, they have dank aesthetics and their UIs always feel like they were designed by people that understand their purpose.

Most open sauce WMs and DEs are pretty much all about "not being Windows", and then they're too centered on a terminal and UNIX approach, and the combination of both is fucking retarded. I could write entire books about all the shitty choices made for the past 20 years in that field that completely misses the point of what a "computer" is.

And then at some point people will package it into a distro. That wasn't even my point though, my point is that the more choice there is, the more choice there is. I haven't used the words "quality" or "better" in the previous sentence, and that's the issue.

>Linux breaking
It doesn't brake if the one using it isn't a retard.
>kernel bullshit
What?
>video drivers
That was fault of the GPU manufacturers and it isn't even true anymore. Your new obscure OS would have zero support for anything, compared to Linux.
>no mainstream software
Same as above.
>shit crashing
It doesn't crash when the one using it is not a retard.
>unintuitive desktop environments
False, and in fact more intuitive than the new GUIs on W10.
>muh games
It's not the OS developers that choose to make it compatible with games, it's the game developers that choose not to make it compatible with Linux because they're too used to developing in windows and the small amount of gamers using Linux doesn't justify the investment in most cases.
Your obscure OS would be ever worse in this regard.
>the list goes on.
The list was exaggerated to begin with. None of the problems you mentioned or could possibly come up with would be solved by creating yet another OS to compete with Windows.
If you're so worried about muh GPU and gaymers performance, please go back to Sup Forums and stop shitting up this board with your uninformed retarded opinions.

>I'm tired of Linux breaking and not supporting all this shit
>lets make a new OS that will be broken and not support all this shit!

That's because they invest heavily in user feedback to their GUIs.
Yes, I'm talking about telemetry.
Telemetry helps Microsoft improve their GUI.
The Linux community would jump ship at the slightest mention of telemetry and that's why Linux will be forever stuck in a trial-and-error loop of GUI development.

>op wants to use the Darwin kernel with gnu core utilities.
That's not a bad idea, necessarily, it's just that there's fuck all hardware drivers for Darwin, so it'd take considerably more effort than using GNU core utilities with another kernel that has drivers for a more diverse set of hardware... there's one made by some bloke named Torvalds, for instance. OP's expectation that it'd be a simple matter to take Linux drivers and stick them in XNU is overly optimistic.

For all OP's bitching about Linux's shortcomings, building a new OS like he describes - some kind of GNU/Darwin hybrid with a custom display system - isn't the way to fix those shortcomings. It'd break worse, have worse kernel bullshit, be even more lacking in video drivers, support even less software, work with way fewer games, and frankly if the open source community as it stands now can't produce a satisfactory desktop environment, the denizens of Sup Forums sure as hell won't be able to.

THIS!!

I like that one

>I hate choice! There should only be one choice and if you don't like it, fuck you!

I want to use plan9, but having no browser kind of ruins it for me.

Well Windows 8 was 4 years ago or more. So if a company has only had disasters (your words) in UI for nearly half a decade, how is that "getting it right often"?

Also, I'd call it less "getting it right often" and more "getting it kind of right most of the time".

The apple kernel is horse shit though. We'd only want their desktop environment and compositor

If you are not a gaymer, this is the only choice.

>best oss security there is
>kiss system management
>NO CONFIGURATION REQUIRED. Just install your packages.

>bonus
Version 6.1 just came out.

>HOWEVER. WE ALSO HAVE THE KERNEL THAT POWERS MAC OS. HOW FUCKING COOL IS THAT?
Wow, something even shittier than Linux with less dev support!!!!!!!!!
Just go with fucking OpenBSD if you want a system that isn't dicks, or shut the fuck up and keep using Linux. You don't fucking do any kernel development anyways so fuck off and use what you get.

>Sup ForumsOYIM OS

Could not get localization to work. Haven't receive much help on the IRC either and google is a desolate land.

>85 posts and no logo yet
This project is doomed

logos

>4 years
>half a decade

Looks like you're exaggerating things a bit there user. You're also forgetting about Windows Phone, MS Office, Visual Studio, Xbox... Microsoft isn't Apple, they have more than two products.

couldn't get my german umlauts to work on any bsd. Didn't feel like dealing with something like that when there are operating systems where it just works.

>muh special snowflake kraut signs
Better go with something that supports Arabic now.

The post I'm replying to was the one saying that, since Windows 8, all their UI has gone down the drain. 8 was 4 years ago, so according to himself, Microsoft hasn't made a decent UI in that time.

And the comparison to Gnome was absurd. Here's an example: changing a partition.
Windows:
>Right-click the Start menu
>Control Panel
>Administrative Tools
>Computer Management (opens new window)
>Left side-bar, Storage, Disk Management
>Right-click partitions and edit

Fedora:
>Press meta key (win key)
>type "disk"
>open Disks app, edit whatever.

>implying changing a partition is something you do frequently

CirnOS 2

>this doesn't count!
UI design isn't just for every-day stuff. You want to prioritize that, obviously, but I don't see why things like this need to be hidden behind 3 layers of sub-menus.

>all this times
>Sup Forums did nothing together
>we will start now
ok

>(highest uptimes in the world are in Linux)
You sure that record doesn't go to something like OpenVMS?

See

4ChOS