What is the best OS for my tech illiterate grandpa? Pic related. He has been using Windows 7 for years...

What is the best OS for my tech illiterate grandpa? Pic related. He has been using Windows 7 for years, and always manages to get his system infected with all kinds of malicious shit. I explained him that he will not need an antivirus and he is kind of excited but also a bit skeptical. Is Zorin the way to go? Never used it but heard it was stable and looks like a nearly perfect Win7 clone.

install macOS

an iPad

but if you really think grandpa wants a linux computer, put Linux Mint Cinnamon on it.

Gave that a thought, too but didn't Mint have some serious security issues? Also, Cinnamon is a buggy piece of shit. Is Mint Xfce any good?

Ubuntu.

>didn't Mint have some serious security issue
not really, their website and forums got hacked. it's fort knox compared to windows 7 in 2017 with an old guy piloting it

no issues with Cinnamon for me. i would recommend MATE before xfce, but if you don't want Cinnamon i would just put Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu on it. LTS obv for old guy

Mint also has a 'feature' (some think its bad) that will stop grandpa from fucking up his shit installing risky updates, like kernel and grub stuff

Mint Xfce works pretty well, MATE might be a good option too, especially with older hardware. Both can be easily configured to match windows look quite closely and that's enough.
Also the distro is stable and doesn't require much attention from your side.

Xubuntu

Windows 10.

Yes, ZorinOS will do fine but it's very heavy. I'd recommend waiting for ZorinOS Lite or installing LinuxLite.

Zorin should be fine. Cinnamon looks unusually "small" out of the box so Zorin is pretty old-friendly without much additional tweaking. I hope your grandpa likes GNU+Linux!

GNOME 3

no troll

yeah get an ipad if he just wants to check his emails and shit

>can't access file system
>can only access the apple store for apps
>big enough for his failing eyesight
>dont have to worry about shutting down properly

grandparents proof

Gentoo

Xubuntu + Wine 2.0 + Chicago 95 theme

This. All the limitations are pretty handy in that they can't actually fuck up the machine thoroughly.

Chromebook as a second option, but really ipads (get one of those keyboard covers if he really cares) are the best option for all old folks.

>Just read emails
Lets buy an overpriced device that will break on first drop

Chrome OS. You can actually install it on his laptop

What issues?
Are you still repeating the stale meme of the hijacked torrent that lasted for a few hours and only affected those who torrented and didn't check the file anyways?
Mint is basically Ubuntu made to be slightly more friendly for newbies coming from windows. The system underneath is exactly the same.

My grandma now uses Peppermint, and she is very happy. She only uses internet, so the only thing i teached her is how to open chromiun.

Her pc, now is faster and has no trouble with viruses.

iMac, iPad, or Chrome OS

Adblock the shit out of it

EVERYTIMKE I TRY TO HACKINTOSH IT IT FUCKING DOES NOT HAVE INTERNET EVEN AFTER INSTALLING THE PROPER KEXTS WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF

u obviously did it wrong, macOS just werks

My tech illiterate dad swears by Zorin. It just werks

at least you managed to install it
i swear i spent 24h to do it and it didn't work

Don't install obscure distros, stick to the major ones.

Just install Lubuntu or Xubuntu and be done with it.

If you want to stay on Win7, set him up in a user account devoid of admin rights. just that will help him immenselly. Even regular people should do it, it's been proven to be one of the most effective way of protecting windows users from malware.

There are Linux distributions for Windows dummies like ChaletOS or ZorinOS. Installing one of these is your best bet.

Hey, listen to that!
If you pay attention, you can almost hear Microsoft preparing lawsuits!
>yfw nobody remembers what happened to Lindows

no it's not

installing non-dominant distros (anything aside from debian, *buntu, fedora/rhel/centos, mint, arch, or suse) is just asking for trouble

no reason to turn to some shitty themed DE when xfce, mate, cinnamon or lxde will get you 98% of the way there and come preinstalled on the major distros

Chalet OS is Xubuntu with a Windows lookalike skin and some additional programs to make it easier to use the GUI fo dummies

Zorin is based on Ubuntu LTS as far I know

>xfce, mate, cinnamon or lxde will get you 98% of the way there

It will not for 79years old retard

Nope

>Chalet OS is Xubuntu with a Windows lookalike skin and some additional programs to make it easier to use the GUI fo dummies
>
>Zorin is based on Ubuntu LTS as far I know

>based on
>based on

who cares, they will have their own shitty special-snowflake bugs and will eventually die like every obscure distro eventually does

>I have no argumenzs but I know it all, install gendoo xDDDD

good luck then

distrowatch is littered with the remains of distros exactly like the ones you are peddling

BudgieWM distros or RemixOS/Cloudready

How not to be a cancer:
>create a new XFCE theme that looks like Windows
>release new theme

How to be a cancer:
>create a new XFCE theme that looks like Windows
>fork XFCE
>fork Xubuntu
>release your own distro

windows 7 or above

go read OP again, retards

Do this OP. I did it for my grandmother who completely destroyed windows 7 on a weekly basis. You can give them a similar experience to windows this way too. I would just remove everything is the start menu that could cause them to break the computer. I only have firefox, and a few card games in her favorites. I have only had issues with the updater popping up every 2 weeks. Other than that we have had zero issues.

Also regardless of what you pick. I would also highly recommend you install uBlock on their browser that way it keeps them from clicking on every damn thing and possibly getting a virus.

>tfw none of my grandparents use computers, they don't even use mobile phones

I can do better than that

>buy a cheap Dell laptop so my grandpa can skype me from his hospital bed while I'm away on work
>tfw he suddenly dies before Dell ships it
>tfw Dell doesn't let me cancel the order and requires me to refuse the package
>tfw the hospital accepts the package
>tfw still have no idea what happened to that laptop

Do your grandpa a favour and just let him keep windows, upgrade to windows 10, install some extensions: https everywhere, ublock, privacy badger, avast internet sec, enable windows defender and whatever and teach him not to click on links in his mailbox.

ChromeOS

and visit and maybe run malwarebytes once in a while

This

Fug