What's more important

What's more important,
freedom or video games?

Video games.

Freedom.

A mix. Not all videos games are necessary, but I'd probably be upset to have none at all. The amount of games you can currently play on GNU is acceptable.

I keep Steam installed, which is non-free. Without it, I'd mostly just have Minecraft to play, which is also non-free. I enjoy freedom, and I enjoy games. I don't think I should be an extremist in either direction.

Well, I'd like to use all free software, I'm just not currently that strong.

It's really frustrating how video games can't grow on linux. I was legitimately hyped when Valve launched Steam OS and when some editors announced some of their games on GNU/linux.

Video drivers are a fucking pain in the ass on GNU/linux.

Video games in linux is a vicious circle : developers won't bother developing on linux because they isn't a lot of customers there; and customers won't try linux because the amount of games there is low and the software complexity can get too easily really heard.

Free as in freedom videogames

Vidya.

Feral and Aspire games work rather well

Both.
Consoles are for vidya and computers for Linux.

Anime, vidya or freedom?

Hello, I'm a developer.

Our company decided not to ever develop games for linux because linux geeks expect to get paid way more than windows geeks on payroll. We save a shitload of labor cost developing for windows.

Also linux is too diverse a platform to test for every major distribution, so we have an easier time meeting deadlines and less work to do, which saves our company a lot of money.

Also, developing for DirectX is easier because its been around for a long time and there's a lot of documentation for developers working with it.

Also, major GPU companies like AMD and Nvidia have first-party driver support for windows platforms, not linux, so even ignoring everything else I listed, they don't support linux, making it basically impossible for us to support it.

If you really want someone to blame, blame Nvidia and Microsoft, not us.

Freedom. You should've grown out of video games by the time you turned 18.

Anime

anime

You aren't a very good dev probably, or you aren't the one making the decisions. (Probably you are flat out lying)
DirectX isn't "easier", and it's flawed imo; You don't have to worry about drivers much at all, since the support is not really bad.
You don't need to test every major distribution if you use the right tools (If you would use them, actually you wouldn't have to worry too much about porting at all)

freedom is useless if having freedom takes away your ability to do the things you want

Why not just have an official/unofficial GNU plus Linux Distribution for video game developers to make it easier?

Because it doesn't matter.
Linux isn't as fractured as you think.
There are tons of tools that allow you to abstract away from the differences like sdl2 or such.

My main computer is running Linux, then I have a windows computer for gaming. It doesn't have to be difficult, you can have your cake and eat it too.

I get that you're an idealist, and that all makes sense in your imagination, but what you're asking for is completely unrealistic and impractical.

In fact I'll just come right out and say that no company, not ours, and not any that we've ever worked with, would ever consider developing games for linux in a million years, for all the same reasons I just listed. I'm sorry kid, but this is first and foremost a business and you have to accept it.

I'd rather not play vidiya anymore than be in jail. So I'd say freedom is more important.

>shitposts and lies
>dares calling others kids
remove yourself from the planet

You are wrong.
I am not an idealist as much as you like to believe.
I am just stating that you are spreading falsehoods and misrepresenting things.
Furthermore there are companies which produce games for linux and which wish to produce games on linux. Take valve as an example.

Neither, MacOS is better than both Windows and Linux

Cute girls doing cute things.

Anyone reading this thread who has worked in game development knows what I'm talking about, so no. I am not lying, but feel free to shitpost yourself and get mad about it all you want. It won't change how money works.

Being a special snowflake company doesn't make you right or justify your dumbass decisions to marketing or the financial department of other smaller companies that have to count every bean in their pocket. Valve can afford to throw money at things if they want, but that doesn't make it a rational decision.

>what is hitman
>what is civ6
>what is deus ex

>what are AAA companies

But indie companies have a big support for linux as well.
For example Amnesia or Starbound.
(Both of these run on sdl, which makes linux game dev pretty convenient and easy)

baneposting

videodom and free games

why not both baka

Unity has done more to help that than Valve has, with its accessibility and ease of Linux porting. That's why almost every Unity indie game has a Linux port. They're no AAA games, but they have vastly grown Steam's Linux library.

If open source software can't adapt to a business model to allow for the development and distribution of something hundreds of millions of people do, there is a problem with open source software.

Kill yourself pedo scum, you along with fags who also are pedophiles deserve eternal damnation.

You can have both with a r1700 and hardware pass through and split ccx and have a quad core Vidya machine an a quad core freedom machine.

It has already adapted though.
The only reason it isn't widespread are lies, misrepresentations, and unfair business practices by those who want their os to stay in power.
There is literally nothing stopping you from releasing a game on linux in 2017.

You know you could get a Linux port basically for free if you used a widely-used engine like Unity or Unreal, right?

Also, you don't need to worry about different distributions. Just ship a binary that works on Ubuntu and let everyone else figure out the dependencies themselves.

But the games being sold are not open source themselves.

Nvidia has first-party, first-class driver support for Linux and FreeBSD.