Ubuntu Telemetry

Ubuntu Desktop sends telemetry by default and is opt-out.

What about Ubuntu Server? Is there telemetry in Ubuntu Server and is it enabled by default?

Just curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/50r80r/does_ubuntu_ever_send_user_information_to_its/
packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/whoopsie
wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport#Ubuntu_12.04_and_later
askubuntu.com/questions/93457/how-do-i-enable-or-disable-apport
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I thought that was just unity

I don't use unity.

fake news

Are you sure this is part of Unity and not Ubuntu itself though?

reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/50r80r/does_ubuntu_ever_send_user_information_to_its/

just uncheck them u belta

Yes, on Ubuntu Desktop you can do so.
However, what about Ubuntu Server on a VPS? There is no Unity or any graphical UI for that matter where you can untick those options.

The burden of proof is on you to prove that it exists in other versions of Ubuntu

What's up with these red hat shills, can't you understand that GNOME is unusable shit made by pedantic and incompetent devs?

>Telemetry is a feature of unity
>Ubuntu server has no DE
How do you disable telemetry on Ubuntu server?
kys shill

That's why I was asking for confirmation whether Telemetry is a part of Unity or of Ubuntu itself, you fucking ignorant moron.
Nobody in this thread has explicitly said "No, it is an Unity-exclusive thing".

Read before you type.

This should be self evident to even the lowest of IQ individuals. Google before you make shitty threads.

Well, it's clearly not self-evident since someone has yet to explicitly state "Oh that's just for Unity! So no need to worry about it!". And yes I used Google, however there are no websites I can find that talk about Ubuntu Telemetry (or Unity telemetry, for that matter) in detail and describe whether it's an Ubuntu thing or a Unity thing.

The so-called telemetry is a feature of Unity by which you can search places like Wikipedia, Amazon, Facebook, etc. when you make a search in the dash, it comes disabled by default.
I believe gnome shell has a similar feature, but god forbid Gnome devs get criticized.

I'm not talking about the Amazon search thing, I'm aware that this has been disabled by default in newer Ubuntu versions.
I'm talking about the "Send occasional system information to Canonical" and "Send error reports to Canonical" thing. I'm not sure if that's also a thing in Ubuntu Server and whether it's enabled by default or not.

However, judging from 's reply, it seems that this is indeed just a Unity feature, so this thread is pretty much done for I believe, since I'm not running Unity on my VPS. So uh, thanks anons I guess.

Pretty sure the error reports are managed by the apport and whoopsie packages but i don't know about the other checkbox.

If you're that concerned user why are you asking Sup Forums and not the Ubuntu forums?

>packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/whoopsie
Wow! how hard it is to
>apt remove whoopsie
And it's not a part of the unity.

Too lazy desu lol

That's just the error reporting portion. That doesn't cover the "Send occasional system info to Canonical" thing.

root@vps:~# apt remove whoopsie
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'whoopsie' is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 197 not upgraded.

Alright, I guess that means Ubuntu Server does not ship with the error reporting thing at least, so that's good.
Now the only thing I'm really wondering about is the "Send occasional error info to Canonical" thing. I guess I can ask the Ubuntu forums for that then. Thanks though user.

>Send occasional error info to Canonical
It is atually a gnome part, called zenity or zeitgeist or something like that, I am not sure.

do you know what packages are those? so i can remove it..

i use ubuntu mate and i have whoopsie installed.. but theres no privacy option in system settings so i have to remove them manually.

btw this is very disappointing.. i've been using ubuntu for years and had no idea these existed..

The package you're looking for is called apport

wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport#Ubuntu_12.04_and_later

askubuntu.com/questions/93457/how-do-i-enable-or-disable-apport