Tech stories

ITT Tech stories that made you rage.
Your life
People you know
Shit that makes you angry

I recently got updates for Windows 10 on my xps13 which caused my WiFi to fail. Microsoft support fuckers told me to connect the computer to the WiFi, and failed to understand that I could no longer connect to WiFi anyway

I fucking hate Microsoft and their windows 10 bullshit

This is not the first time I've heard of fuckery from W10. Specially stupid shit like that and I bet you talked to a stupid indian didn't you?

THAYNK YOO FAH CAHL'ING MIKE-ROW-SFT, MAI NAYM IZ JIM...HAHV YEW TRYEED TAHNING EAT OFFF AN AHN AHGIN?

brotip: to get a person who speaks understandable english, press the button for spanish on the automated menu. a spanish speaker is far more likely to clearly speak and understand english than pajeet

C++
I hate C++ very much.
I have to deal with some horrible code right now. I don't even want to talk about it. The more code I remove the better it works.

rage thread?
obligatory mention of a certain screenshotted story about a young man and his thinkpad

selfish bump

barney was a mistake

3 4

i believe it.

c'mon guise hit me with some delicious greentext

>have computer / electronics repair business as a side gig
>rates clearly listed on website and all ads, I confirm rates with people over the phone before I go out on a service call
>$75 service call fee which includes 1hr of labor, $30/hr for labor after that
>drive 15-20 minutes to someone's house, look at their shit, it's something simple, fix it in 10-15 minutes
>give them an invoice for $75
>they get angry, say that I've only been there for 5 minutes and that they're not paying $75 because it ended up being something simple
>they want to pay me $20 instead
>I leave the invoice with them, tell them that I do expect full payment for services rendered and to never call me again in the future

You reminded me of something user:
>Be me
>3 or 4 years back
>with dad on a service call to some random ladies house
>Dumb as a door step
>dad says to wait here
>Chill and play my 3DS (fuck you I'm an adult and I play my 3DS)
>goes in
>5 minutes later
>dad walks out to the truck
>"What was the issue"
>"It was unplugged... I charged her 50 but not because there was a problem but for her stupidity"

Father and I use to go out and do Home Entertainment and Dish Network all the time. Fun times with idiots. Specially iniians. They LOVE to watch EVERYTHING YOU DO! They want to learn too and their curiosity is like a dogs. They gotta know what you're up to. Why? Dude let us do our work.

My xps13 keeps crashing in sleep mode or even (like 2x today in the timeframe of 6min according to minidump) while the screen is locked. It saddens me, because otherwise I like it very much. Some BSoDs I actually caught complained about nwifi.sys. Driver verifier almost didn't even increase failure rate...

I like penis desu desu desu desu desu

>All I know how to do is shitpost and mock people instead of going on about my life
You must be pretty sad to post something like this. Who cares if I do or not like dick user?

Its something with windows 10 updates I fucking know it. Everytime windows 10 updates something fails whether its the fucking sleep mode (sometimes it refuses to go to sleep causing it to run and drain the battery) or the wifi or the fucking search bar doesn't wanna find any search results or anything

Why are you talking to yourself? That's just downright pathetic. Please leave my thread.

this is why i normally put on a trip but I was trying to avoid it.

Use a trip next time, have a good day.

The issue I described is occuring since late last year, and the only other issue I encountered is that the wifi won't ever autoconnect, only after I make the network popup menu appear once.

On the flipside the actual hardware seems pretty solid, the most stable I had in a laptop. Am I laffing when fags all around me complain about bad reception on their macbooks.

meme

Can I share a non-rage story?
>buy a used tablet
>it's wonky
>sometimes displays a red frame all around the screen despite the setting for it being disabled in options
>digitizer pen doesn't work
>debug log files turned on everywhere
>try rebooting it
>instead of HP logo I see a little Tux
>then HP logo and starts normally
>check if it boots into recovery
>it doesn't
>return it
So yeah, I think somebody tried to install Linux there

>the wifi won't ever autoconnect
I forgot to mention, only on select networks, and also this seems to be slowly going away for some reason...

*cuddles you*

>namefag causing shit because of attention seeking name

It's like poetry

im doing it to be ironic. The dude that stepped in and started being a dumbshit was doing it for attention and tryina make me look stupid. stupidity can't be helped user

>grandmother is talking with someone on the phone
>talking about some "protection plan for her computer"
>pajeet is teamviewered into her computer
>showing her "broken programs" (just things he turned off that show little red triangles)
>talking about plans ranging from 150-300$
>grab the phone, tell him to fuck himself, unplug the router
>chaos ensues
>show her the "your computer is locked" message and how its not from microsoft
>recently accessed files show her chase bank account information from internet history
>clean the fuck out of everything on the network, have her change all her info
>two weeks later, her bank account has been emptied
>she never changed her bank info like i told her
>somehow im the bad guy because "i aggravated him"
>lolbitchyourproblem

>month later
>she disabled ublock origin i installed to keep those popups from ever appearing again
>gets another one
>calls in
>pays the guy 600$
>gets her bank info stolen again
>bank wont back her up for it this time

motherfucker
i just stopped caring at that point, she's a massive cunt for other reasons so i already hate her guts, but i still fixed the problem once and i wasnt going to deal with that again

>My friend was complying about how he doesn’t have wifi.
>Me be a nice guy and all give him and hook up an old router I had for free
>Few weeks later his internet isn’t working at 2 in the fucking morning
>Automatically blames me and my router
>He’s all bent out of shape about how his dad has a skype interview in the morning and I have to fix it NOW
>Try to get him to reset his modem and router
>He doent know how.
>Facepalm.jpg
>Tell him to unplug them from the wall and plug them back in
>He does but it doesn’t fix the problem
>I get my ass out of bed and drive over
>First thing I do is unplug the modem but notice that the lights stayed on
>Wtf, it’s a miracle.
>Nope, battery backup
>Take battery out, put it back in, works fine
>Pic related my face

>have a little sister that lives with me because parents are passed
>she's 16 and I'm 25
>she has a 15 year old boyfriend that's a total Sup Forumstard
>work as software engineer
>teach my little sister about tech
>she uses Debian testing on her laptop
>retarded boyfriend can't open an exe on it
>decides to install winblows 10
>little sister is fucking pissed because she has to reinstall everything
>sit back and listen to them fighting in her room
>he leaves
>never see him again and don't question it
>deeply satisfied
Windows 10 ruined a relationship.

I had a similar issue where ANUS craptop BIOS got fucked and wouldn't boot to internal hard drives.
>call ANUS support
>guy with an accent thicker than 3 day old curry sauce answers
>basically tells me to call microshit
>tell him it's not a windows problem and that I'm looking for a BIOS update tool or BIOS images to flash to unbrick my fucking laptop
>he hangs up
>call Microsoft
>they tell me to call ANUS support
>one infinite loo(p)
I took all the parts I could out of the machine and tossed it in the trash. Fucking ASUS support, never again.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I used to work at a repair shop. People asked all the time to migrate their data to new hard drives or SSDs. We always warned them to backup all important photos and documents and be sure to write down accounts and passwords. One time a macfag refused to pay because we did the migration and she had to sign into icloud after. She didn't have her password. I fucking hate normans.

They are back at that age of "They don't know any better" and it's honestly sad cause they also have that and "It's MY computer! Not yours! He's older than you likely! so he knows what he's talking about!" bullshit

>windows 10 ruined a relationship
Fuck, that's funny.

>Call ANUS support
Oh yea that shit happened with Comcast and Netgear. I literally told both companies that neither of them take responsibility for their shit. Each time blaming the other company "are you connect to one of our routers?"
"No. I have a netgear router and it's working, I'm not connected to your internet server."
"That's not on us!"
"I'm LITERALLY looking on my phone and it says you're down in my area!"
"No we aren't!"
"I'd like to talk to your supervisor"
"L-let me see what I can do, did you power cycle it?"
"YES I turned it off and on again."
"Did you-"
"Unplug it and replug it in? Yes"
I hate customer support for almost everywhere I've called. The only places I like is Nintendo, Skullcandy and amazon so far. Most others are god awful 3rd party.

Also Apple doesn't suck.

Is this what the world has come to? wtf lel

>guy with an accent thicker than 3 day old curry sauce answers

>Also Apple doesn't suck.
Their computers aren't bad, just worth nowhere near the outrageous prices they charge. This is why I just bought the 2015 model about a month ago. It was $850 vs the $2400 that Apple is asking for the current 15 inch. Average Apple users are also the scum of the Earth. I fucking hate them. Here's a little story from back when I was still in school.
>sitting in back of lecture hall because I want as little human interaction as possible
>open seats everywhere
>greasy faggot with rainbow backpack sits next to me
>looks at my mac
>"is that a pro"
>"yeah, I can talk to you later, I'm busy taking notes"
>"that's a nice macbook"
>tell him to leave me alone
>he keeps blabbing
>I pack my shit up and move because he won't shut the fuck up about macs and Steve Jobs
It's a fruity cult where macfags see you with an Apple laptop and assume you're not just using it as a tool, but you're also a gay progressive faggot like them. I hate mac users.

>stupid enough to have to call Microsoft

>average mac user
I just got a mac this last week. I don't hate it but I'm not inlove with it either. It's not hard to really grasp it once you've been on linux enough. Friend got this one I'm using for coding. Then turned around to let me borrow it while I find a job and not go insane so I can play a few games like Pokemon TCGO and Hearthstone. A few others but whatever. The Mac Mini 2010 edition doesn't suck. It was pretty solid for it's time.

Yeah, I like apple for what it CAN do but Apple knows that their mainline customers are idiots and will pay anything for the BEST shit.

Friend of mine can tell you anything you need to know about Apple. If you had an issue, he is almost literal tech support. Terminal codes, cracks, installations, taking it apart, adding parts and so on. You name it, he likely knows how to fix it. He loves his mac.

As for the OS, I actually like Mac OS Sierra. For a small computer, I hate to say it, this computer is the best thing I've ever used. It's stable, doesn't crash and has had maybe a handful of issues, but that's cause it's older software/hardware trying to work with new software which is understandable.

The only thing I really hate is that I can't use my 4TB to store shit to BUT I CAN READ IT! ... It's FTFS and I found this out AFTER all this. This 4TB has been my life since last year. I guess I'll start formatting all my drives to Ext-FAT for now on.

I want my games... But 48/118, this REALLY sucks... At least I have the sims 3...

I refuse to reply to this thread with a story because you're a namefagging homosexual and this isn't Reddit.

had oem pc that would randomly boot up on it's own in the middle of the night. I thought it was haunted, since I even disabled wakeup on lan (also it was on wifi so that couldn't be it).
I think it eventually went away after a bios update, but it was seriously scary

I only keep a MacBook Pro around for a couple of CAD programs and for Photoshop for making rare Pepes. I prefer Debian but Mac OS Sierra works pretty well once you block it from connecting to Apple servers at all, enable root, and remove the bloatware apps like iTunes and the AppStore.

Also what is the drive formatted as? Mac OS can read/write FAT, NTFS, and Ex-FAT. If it's EXT3/4, you can get an application that will allow you to read/write it.

(you)

Also
>homesexual
UM IM A DRAGON BORNE ANTHRO FRAPPECINNO LATTE WITH A CHERRY AND WHIP CREAM DEMISEXUAL AND I'D APPRECIATE YOU RESPECTING MY PRONOUNS AND SEXUAL ORIENTATION!

if I had known that before, I'd have done it. I'll look into that. I don't get why this is a thing. That has got to be one of the lamest things Apple has done other than the no audio jack on the iPhone7

Fuck you

What FS is it using though?

it's mac? I honestly don't know. Sense it's my first mac, I don't know how to check that.

Plug it in and open disk utility. Click the drive and it'll tell you.

Do you. mean my 4TB? or the mac?

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Is that it?

The 4TB hard drive. Stop being retarded.

wasn't clarified, that I know is NTFS

>They gotta know what you're up to. Why? Dude let us do our work.
Probably because you are handling their machine, on their house.

You should be able to read and write it.

Normally it's a stereo system, a "theater in a box" and we use to set them up all the time. Normally getting a TV from like Best Buy or Microcenter. There's nothing honestly to watch. It's really boring from the customer's perspective

You'd think. But it has a lock on it, I tried to unlock it, I tried to make them readable to the mac but it won't. I dunno why. Everyone I've asked even on Sup Forumssqt have all said I have to format it. At least I have a shit windows 7 over here I can use for file transferring

>go into finder
>right click on hard drive
>get info
>click little lock icon
>enter administrative password
>sharing an permissions
>give your user read/write permissions

tried that, wont let me.

Yes it will, unless you don't have the password.

I right clicked on it and it literally isn't there. There is no lock.

user, this is what I get when I do it

I haven't read like half the related posts to this, and I've never used a mac, but have you tried manually unmounting it and remounting it through terminal?

All NTFS volumes are read-only on OSX.
You can get a 3rd party Pref Pane or Google for a patch.

I'll look into it

yeah, I've been looking into it.

that's what ypu get for being nice

I really want that opsolte shit language to die. Only reason it's still around is cause refactoring is time consuming.

> Senior developer refuses to write tests.
> He "doesn't believe in testing"
> It's the fourth time I file a ticket on his team, for fuckups in a ~100 LOC module
> This has been going on for months.

> Ticket instructs to set the file permissions, so only its owner can read the file.
> It's been 3 weeks, and the solution is not merged yet.

> Ticket instructs to make a different file world-readable (from 0640)
> Sets permission to 0777

Guess the country.

The worst thing is, that the management does not let us do the work, and thinks, that everything is alright.

working for a dismal startup back in the days of NT and XP. manager thinks he can install both on one machine and have it start up as either, won't accept any arguments as to why it won't work, gets angry when we can't do it.

later that week we found CP on his machine and he vanished shortly after.

Bad C++ is indeed awful, but not much more than bad Java or bad Perl.
Good C++ on the other hand is pretty nice, but it's sad how many people claim to know C++ when they only know "C with classes" and write shitty code

Trixie is worst pony
Eat shit and pick a good wifu like applejack

I love you user. I agree. I am doing it cause she's a shit pony. AJ for life my friend. I have an apple-tini sitting on my desk infront of me. (plushie)

One benefit of working in a small company is that you don't have to deal with stupid shit like this.