Raspberry Pi

What do you guys think about it? What have you accomplished with it? What's some interesting use you can think of for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

squid-cache.org/
jasperproject.github.io/documentation/hardware/
hifiberry.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have been looking at Squid.
squid-cache.org/
I think i might move to some stupid 4G plan for my home internet and use this to speed up surfing.

Alarm on the door: logging its openings and closings using three nails and gpio.
Spying on the opposite commieblock windows using camera and telescope taped to each other.
Http server.

Retropie
I'm thinking of setting one up headlessly running QLC+ with a USB->DMX dongle so I can control the lighting rig at a new club we opened
A production manager at a theater I work at has one set up to load promo images for shows on all the tvs at work, and he can update it remotely... might be the only pi I've seen out in the wild in my field (live audio/lighting/production)

Using mine as a thermometer, a LED clock and a USB1 adapter.

Turned out I didn't have anything with a real USB1 meaning my flatbed scanner refused to work.

Been thinking about purchasing one, where can I get it cheapest from central Europe?

Nobody actually uses it for anything appropriate, they just use it as an overpowered microcontroller or buy one and post threads on Sup Forums asking what to do with it

There's not such thing as "central" Europe, there's East and there's West.

I'm turning one into a small 80s-like luggable computer soon.

I'm thinking about getting one and setting up JASPER:
jasperproject.github.io/documentation/hardware/

Whereever you buy your computer parts from.

Pricing is pretty much the same everywhere.

How practical is it to turn a RaspPi 3 into a thin client? Will the 100Mbit connection fuck me over?

>overpowered microcontroller
isn't flexibility the selling point of RPi?
If you wanted streaming device, you could just buy one OR buy RPi, set it up so with the choice of making it into sth else. You can't make a retro game machine out of a microcontroller, that's the beauty of it.
Plus you learn along the way.

are you stupid?

I run a couple of early Pi1s (the 256MB ones) as VNC terminals.

What you want to install is directvnc.

order one on pihut. adequate prices and fast shipping (i live in austria and it took only a few days for my pi to arrive).

just get an arduino if you want to learn about lowerlevel shit

How is the performance? I'm thinking of scrapping my transition to Puma-SBCs in favor of a much cheaper solution. How is VNC performance while playing 1080p Youtube/movies on it?

Buy a longer HDMI cable instead.

What's the cheapest single board computer with 4GB of ram?

I got pi1, I noticed heavy usage when running server on it making it impractical have you also felt this ?

hifiberry.com/

Saved myself from having to lock myself into a proprietary home audio system.

Connect the Raspberry Pi to a PLC, and make a remotely controlled power switch. Useful to fuck with burglars when ure away from home, or to prank friendsq

I don't have a Raspberry Pi, but if I got one, I would probably use it as a universal message encryption device that encrypts anything you send over the internet. Is this possible? Is there anyone that has tried this? I have been considering getting one to try this myself.

How would anybody else know how to decrypt your messages?

>I would probably use it as a universal message encryption device that encrypts anything you send over the internet. Is this possible?
Sure, so long as everywhere you send those messages are able to decrypt them.

Anyone with >90days uptime on a rpi doing writes to the sdcard?

I use authentic sandisk cards, unmount/shutdown properly, etc and get the similar reliability to those that I just cut power.

If nothing else, having a rpi with a big button mapped to something is always entertaining.

wouldn't it chock on dicks? or is it just enough to run it if you are running more than 6 computers at the same time?
I'm using mine with pihole and looking for some extra project to add, since I think it's overkill to just use pihole on a pi.

Mine's been up since the 3 came out using a noir camera to spy on my baby over the home network. Not sure what distro you're using - I'm running Arch ARM. I would make sure you have force file system checking on boot.

What are the uses for this thing?

Is the pi a good Linux desktop device? What's the maximum voltage you ca use on it?