/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jUibaPTXSHk
pement.org/awk/sed1line.txt
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration
0x0.st/wkm.py
servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600-linux-benchmarks-and-review-we-like-this-one/
gist.github.com/ahodesuka/01213036b58e510dc074
gist.github.com/ahodesuka/49c1d0eea4b64f24c4c7
emacs.sexy/#learn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for propane and propane accessories.

Any sed/grep/awk wizards here?
I need a way to get all the modules from a file and load them.
The file contains output of `lsmod`, it looks like this:
acpi_call 16384 0
ip_tables 24576 1 iptable_filter
x_tables 28672 14 xt_comment,xt_LOG,ipt_REJECT,ip_tables,iptable_filter,xt_tcpudp,xt_limit,ip6t_REJECT,ip6table_filter,xt_addrtype,ip6t_rt,xt_conntrack,ip6_tables,xt_hl
ext4 528384 2
crc16 16384 2 bluetooth,ext4
jbd2 90112 1 ext4
fscrypto 24576 1 ext4
mbcache 16384 1 ext4
sr_mod 24576 0
sd_mod 49152 3
cdrom 53248 1 sr_mod
serio_raw 16384 0
atkbd 24576 0
libps2 16384 2 atkbd,psmouse
ahci 36864 2
libahci 28672 1 ahci
libata 212992 2 ahci,libahci
xhci_pci 16384 0
sdhci_pci 28672 0
sdhci 40960 1 sdhci_pci
scsi_mod 159744 3 sd_mod,libata,sr_mod
ehci_pci 16384 0
firewire_ohci 40960 0
xhci_hcd 172032 1 xhci_pci
led_class 16384 4 sdhci,input_leds,thinkpad_acpi,iwldvm
ehci_hcd 73728 1 ehci_pci
firewire_core 57344 1 firewire_ohci
mmc_core 122880 2 sdhci,sdhci_pci
crc_itu_t 16384 1 firewire_core
usbcore 208896 6 uvcvideo,ehci_hcd,xhci_pci,btusb,xhci_hcd,ehci_pci
usb_common 16384 1 usbcore
i8042 24576 0
serio 20480 6 serio_raw,atkbd,psmouse,i8042

I just need the fisrst word in each line to pass to `modprobe`.

I've been using xfce on my laptop for awhile now, but the only applications I use are chromium and terminal applications inside tmux. Most of the stock xfce programs have been replaced with lighter alternatives (ranger, vim, sxiv, mpv, mupdf, etc.).
There's no point in running xfce anymore, what's a good replacement? I don't wanna go tiling cause I already use tmux, which I'm quite happy with.

Most people I know in the situation like you use Openbox.

Using a tiling wm doesn't automatically mean you need to use the tiling features. Most of them have floating modes.

cut -f 1 -d ' ' mymods.txt | tail -n +2

Installed elementary. Pretty comfy 2bh.

Richard Stallman Explains Everything
youtube.com/watch?v=jUibaPTXSHk

just keep xfce unless you really want maximum rice, but then your fonts fuck up and you have to fix them, your gtk themes fuck up and you have to fix them, your dpi fucks up and you have to fix it, you plug in another monitor and it fucks up, etc.

I asked a question in the last thread about KoToR 2 on Debian and Ubuntu. To answer my interlocutor, there was no WINE involved. A company named Aspyr took the game and added native iOS and Linux support; Steam now hosts this patched version of the game, so now everyone can enjoy KoToR, regardless of platform. Officially they only support Ubuntu 14.04 for any of their patched games. So, no WINE. Just Steam, and KoToR.
Obviously there are large differences between Ubuntu and Debian, but presumably both use libavcodec, which added Bink support many years ago.
So, where to start, user?

I know you got this already answered on the last thread, but just so you learn something:
awk:

# prints the 4th colum, delimited by space (default)
awk '{ print $4 }'

# prints the 4th colum, delimited by space, but only on lines that contain "something"
awk '/something/ { print $4 }'

# prints the last colum (NF), delimited by comma (-F = field separator)
awk -F, '{ print $NF }'

# hello world: awk works like this: awk 'BEGIN {initialize} condition1 {stmts} condition2 {stmts}... END {finish}'
awk 'BEGIN { print "Hello, world!"; }'

# play some random music
awk 'BEGIN {srand(); while(1) {wl=1000*(0.87055^(int(rand()*10)+1));d=(rand()*8000+80)/wl;for (i=0;i

Thanks, user.

>dem 8bit beeps
saved

What are some cool terminal commands?

You should also save this one. It will come handy some day: pement.org/awk/sed1line.txt

Been using Ubuntu Unity LTS 16.04 for a week now and decided to try out other distributions today.

Fedora looked amazing but felt weird and slow, Debian's repositories were too outdated for my needs and Kubuntu was bugging out with my display setup.

Ended up installing Mint xfce and hot damn it's fast, way faster than Unity. Sure it looks and feels like Windows XP, which I'm not very fond of, but it's so fast I don't care. I had tried Cinnamon before and did not like it so this really took me by a surprise.

I wish Linux worked on my laptop. I've tried everything but I don't think its wireless and audio hardware is supported.

alias ls='echo we all must suffer | cowsay -fsodomized | lolcat' is a pretty good one

Neat.

You can make XFCE look much different through things like the window manager settings, themes, icons, and standalone dock programs.

>wireless
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration

Let me guess, Broadcom wireless.

espeak "we, are, the ro,bots"

I've tried pretty much everything but Linux never finds any hardware.

I think so. It's a Lenovo Miix 2 "10, got it as a gift and it's awful.

Packages (14) libyaml-0.1.7-1 ruby-2.4.0-1 ruby-diff-lcs-1.3-1
ruby-paint-2.0.0-3 ruby-rainbow-2.2.1-2 ruby-rspec-3.5.0-2
ruby-rspec-core-3.5.4-2 ruby-rspec-expectations-3.5.0-2
ruby-rspec-mocks-3.5.0-2 ruby-rspec-support-3.5.0-2
ruby-term-ansicolor-1.4.0-2 ruby-tins-1.13.0-2
ruby-trollop-2.1.2-4 lolcat-42.24.0-2

is it worth it

Well, maybe try booting into a live Ubuntu image and click on the proprietary hardware and driver option in the installation menu (if my memory serves me correctly). If it detects it after that then there's hope. I managed to get a laptop with Broadcom WL working through that.

fc -l ---------list recent items in bash history.

fc -l 2 5 ------list history indexed 2 through 5.

fc ----------open last command in your default text editor.

fc -s ---------execute last command without editing it.
You can add a specific index number or string.

fc -e kate----open last command in specific text editor.

fc -e kate du---open last command beginning with du in kate. Index number works too.
When kate edit is saved and closed the command executes.

suckless lolcat, only dependency: python
0x0.st/wkm.py

Are these issues associated with openbox? Currently I'm considering that with tint2.

Already done that. Nada. The console commands find no wifi hardware whatsoever.

I'm actually using the alias as suggested in the help.
$ type r
r is aliased to `fc -s'
comfy

thank you based user of dependency-free performant software

Is there any review of ryzen 5 on linux ?
I just don't give a fuck about windows.

cowsay cowseption | cowsay -n | cowthink -n | cowthink -n | cowthink -n | cowthink -n | cowthink -n | cowthink -n

beautiful

why tf are you looking for ryzen 5 where there is ryzen 7 1700X that works fine in Linux

>Unity is kill by GNOME
>Wayland beginning to ship
>Vulkan also happening slowly

How much market share could GNU/Linux actually gain if the above makes it easier for normies and gaymers?

How can windows even compete

Old memes aside is there any way to flag Firefox/Chromium to just open Kdialog without installing the entire Plasma 5 desktop?

funny but did you check clicking Fn key plus what F key it is to enable/disable wireless? have been hit with that before.
also been hit by it being disabled in bios

lol that kdialog is not only better than gtkfilechooser, it's actually a more functional filemanager than nautilus

You don't need KDE, there's a patch for GTK2 that allows thumbnails in the file dialog (check if your distro has a package for it). For Firefox you'd need to compile it with the GTK2 flags, for Chromium I believe it already uses GTK2 by default.

But doing is better, it just takes a while to get used to.

We need to go deeper.

Chromium is moving to GTK3 (finally)

because there's 170€ difference between those two CPU. And R7 seems a bit too much for my needs

servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600-linux-benchmarks-and-review-we-like-this-one/

Stop thinking that market share is important.

Is there a way to configure the font in CDE? Using ubuntu here and the defaults has serif, which is not only ugly as fuck, it is also not the default.

Chromium is botnet.

RIP
I dont like the Gtk3 file dialog. It feels sluggish and does weird things like hiding folders while searching (what other gui toolkit does that? it's unintuitive).

So I installed Linux 16.04.2 LTS but some programs don't work like they should. I've downloaded speccy like usual but when I double-click on the .exe I just get an unkown file format error, wtf. I thought Linux is ready to use by now? Did I fall for a meme?!

Friends. Is there any way to get thubnails in the GTK filepicker? I would go compiling if there's a patch and some kind user would hold my hand, or, is the only solution KDE? I actually like GTK, at least as backend for my i3 config and I don't wanna switch just because of a filepicker problem. Also why is this still a thing? Years back when I was on Windows I already knew about the "filepicker meme", seems that this bug is now 14 years old and still no fix? What are they thinking? Why don't we go to the GNOME irc and tell them to do some work?
Thanks.

Don't go to the IRC, spam the shit out of the bugzilla thread

some user made a picker patch for gtk2 but everyone is using gtk3 now, so no patch, install kde

I actually can't blame you.
I mean, what are the chances that the answer is literally 10 posts above yours?

thats a cripple workaround and you know it

>I would go compiling if there's a patch
He doesn't seem to mind.

gist.github.com/ahodesuka/01213036b58e510dc074
gist.github.com/ahodesuka/49c1d0eea4b64f24c4c7

Although last time I tried it, it didn't work very well and crashed with webms.

>>>

How to apply this?

>kde

F for Hakon

does hakon know that he's an inofficial internet hall of famer?

Microsoft Windows does not have this problem.

How can I make "setxkbmap" persist through reboots?

When I released GNU Emacs and people started using it, they started sending me improvements in the mail. So I would get a message with a bug fix, and a message with a new feature, and another bug fix, and another new feature, and another... and another... until they were pouring in on me so fast that just taking advantage of all of the help people were giving me was a big job. Microsoft doesn't have this problem.

is there a way to run two desktop sessions and switch between them?
I'd like to run one with my usual gnome desktop and one with i3 for learning

xnest

Well, I'm having a bit of trouble trying to understand how can I play a facebook audio message in mpv.

stop being used by facebook

>hqdefault.jpg
pls go

switch to a tty and run
xinit i3 -- :1 vt8

then go to tty8

I need to talk to coworkers. Also I'm already having trouble because I refuse to use office instead of libreoffice and gnumeric.

dude, just use google docs, it's compatible with everything and easy to share/collaborate

This imageboard breaths high quality memes and posts. Why do you think that googling some youtube thumbnail in order to put some attention to your tech support question will lead to anything other than being called a faggot, faggot?

Yes, but you may have trouble with things like audio. See the other replies for starting X on other tty's

thanks honeys

is emacs any good? I heard many good things about "org mode", but I've never tried emacs myself
how to get started?

>rtorrent keeps crashing when left alone on my RPi
>years worth of abandoned networking projects on the thing
>rtorrent logging is shit
what do
I don't want to set up an internet ssh share again

emacs.sexy/#learn

This is the worst fucking general on here, every time I ask a question it's ignored! Well fuck you!

rtorrent crashed for me too (actually it simply froze) after some hours when there was lots of traffic
i switched to transmission, theres also cli stuff for it

I forgot to mention, I set up the systemd daemon that's supposed to restore it when it crashes

>first post in this thread
kys

Is the archlinux.org page down or something?

> Anonymous (23) 04/12/17(Wed)
>(23)
You didn't ask any question

So tomorrow my hdd should be arriving, and I'm going to be installing a distro onto it. Would mint or ubuntu be a better distro for a beginner? I think mint looks really slick on cinnamon, especially the newest version of it, but I read that mint was compromised not long ago and could still be breached. However, ubuntu has tons of support and help threads online, and that could be very useful to me if I mess something up. Again, would you recommend ubuntu or mint?

The fuck are you talking about?

yes

nope
try www.

your homosexuality

if it's just cinnamon you're after you can install it on ubuntu and I think there's even a cinnamon buntu flavor

I am talking about in previous threads. I have asked questions multiple times and no one has given a shit.
Friendly Linux General my fucking ass.
This is one of the reasons why people don't want to switch, autistic community.

Fuck off.

There is literally nothing wrong with liking dick. FRIENDLY thread.

Still not working. For some reason the wiki and AUR still work though

What question do you have? Let's see if I can help.

stop namefagging

I appreciate the offer but I have no questions at the moment.