Salvaging Parts from Old PC

Is there anything worth salvaging from old PCs? I have a Dell Optiplex 745 that's like 12 years old. Another crappy eMachine from like 15 years ago too. Do you guys save anything or just trash them?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcworld.com/article/2243748/turn-old-pc-hardware-into-a-killer-home-server-with-freenas.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you can probably make some art out of the internal components but basically every single component is trash

the DVD drive is probably the best thing to keep

I actually use a optiplex 745 with a core2quad q6600 slacr and a hd3470 as my "on the tele" media streaming system.

The cpus can be worth a few quid (5 to 15 on ebay) the memory is rarely worth much but people will still buy it for cheap if you're willing to actually sell it for the slim profit, the hard drives are almost worthless imo.

The power supplies in any system that doesn't use a standard ATX form factor one can be worth salvaging and sellling separately as they tend to fetch a premium.

why not throw a large drive at it and make it a nas?

why are the drives worthless? couldn't you buy a case and make it a cheap external hard drive? or throw it into your new PC case as a backup drive?

scrap for gold,copper, its not much but its something.

get components from mainboard, cddrive, floppy drive.

and at least save the case, most new desktop cases are ugly as fuck.

you could do a NAS, home server, firewall,etc...

>the DVD drive is probably the best thing to keep
that and the HDD

there isn't much in those that would be all that useful for newer systems, better to just keep them whole and find a use for them as-is

there's no gold in electronics anymore, even with older equipment you needed pallets worth to make anything meaningful

it's all aluminum and other worthless metals

wouldn't it be a waste of power?

Keep the case a build a sleeper pc.

HDD,RAM,mobo,OD. The rest is oem crap.

If it still works and you don't give a shit about power consumption, turn it into a pfsense/OpenWRT router.

why would you use an 80gb 3.5 inch drive when there are thousands of 250 to 500gb laptop drives floating around that are just as low in value and wouldn't require a dedicated power cable?

the problem with prebuilts is that they always cheap out on the motherboard, PSU, and hard drives. if you're upgrading the motherboard isn't overly useful, but spare PSUs and hard drives would be nice. the cases also have shit flow, so that's out.

so in the end all you're really left with is the optical drives.

why would it be? unless you have no need for a nas/htpc

I got a Pentium D Optiplex 745 a week ago and stuck a Xeon x5450, 4GBs of Ram, a 120 gb SSD, and a single slot 750 Ti. They can be made useful again if you have a spare 100 bucks.

I salvage almost everything from my old computers, usually end up taking the HDDs, PSUs and optical drives and storing the rest for some other possible future use.

I'm still using a 500gb HDD from 3 computers ago, and my optical drive is god knows how old.

>build a sleeper PC

why?

Very little of value to salvage from shitboxes although I still can't help myself when I see one in a dumpster. I usually just break them down and recycle the cases since they take up so much space. I've also converted a few of them to open testing cases making them ideal for systems just to play around with stuff.

It's shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Techsheet wont show me the chipset, if its supports the core2quads, drop in one, 6-8gb of ram and a 750ti
bam, entry level gaming machine
sell it to some dumbass on craigslist for 300$
or keep it around for shitposting

i have an older core2duo machine i use for light gaming and video streaming

as far as salvageable parts go, next to none
maybe hard drives if you need the space but im 100% sure theyre going to be under 200gb and probably 5400rpm

core2duo's, pentium's go for fuck all on ebay, ddr2 isnt worth anything, the psu isnt worth anything, mobo isnt worth anything, nothing
if it has one of the old ati gpu's in it, that may be for 10-20$ to the right buyer

if the emachine is pre pentium 4 then it might be worth money, especially if it still works
hipsters love that windows 2k and earlier, brick processor kinda shit

win2k/98 shit is cheap and plentiful right now, it isn't worth that much unless it's something actually good
t. one of those hipsters

I guess, there's loads of "retro gaming" stuff out there like XP era hardware but with windows 98 installed.
But stuff from that era is definitely more desirable
Pic related

Power consumption I'd guess

I generally keep everything. When I start running out of room I gut machines, like you should do with the eMachine. Some, if not all, of those used non standard power supplies. You could try selling it on ebay, but its not like an Apple or even a Dell. Some sort of twisted fuck would have to buy it, because everyone else already sent theirs to the dump.

Because some people like how the case looks?

Usually everything except the casing and motherboard is useful after its EOL.

Mobo and casing is OEM's own specifications and fitting and custom fitting is a bitch unless you have lots of time hacking it up.

Newer or recent OEM no long does this.

I want one of these with modern hardware inside, you could probably fit a massive battery and like 4 hdds in it

>2017
>scrap for gold,copper
Might as well scrap the solder metal from every ic contacts while you're at it.

Floppy and IDE drives would require purchasing a PCIE controller card. The eMachine might be old enough that it used an AGP GPU too.

its not as big as you think
id like to try and modify one with dead internals or mainly missing parts to fit a raspberry pi and a decent battery
only problem would be the keyboard and screen

you could definitely shove a mini itx system inside if it was low power enough to where a small blower cooler could do the trick
then again comes the screen, where am i going to find a new 12.1" 4:3 tiny ass screen with a connector that will work with desktop components

Why not see if you can turn your old pc into your own personal cloud/NAS.

pcworld.com/article/2243748/turn-old-pc-hardware-into-a-killer-home-server-with-freenas.html