AMD ryzen

Some interesting Ryzen tests that haven't been mention yet here I think, you can get up to some 10% higher FPS in games and 12% in MT workloads by using dual rank memory compared to single rank memory of the same frequency, of course the optimal setup would be something like 3600MHz + dual rank.

pcgameshardware.de/Ryzen-5-1600X-CPU-265842/Tests/R5-1500X-Review-Mainstream-1225280/3/

It's not much, but something more ways of tweaking your performance is fine by me.

Other urls found in this thread:

guru3d.com/news-story/amd-offers-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen.html
i.4cdn.org/g/1491964334829.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also it seems to be net a bigger increase in games than productivity workloads, especially minimum FPS!

bump for interest

bump for interest

bump for interest

How much more expensive is that shit?

Test with quad rank now

no op, and I may be wrong, but I think dual rank is actually cheaper

It should be, from my foggy memory single rank should be FASTER than dual rank.

Guess zen works in reverse or has some memory controller trickery

Iirc

Dual - denser, cheaper, slower
Single - faster, pricier, smaller

what the fuck is dual rank ? another name for dual Channel ?

Problem is you can't get dual-rank rank sticks above 2667.

To get high clocks on the RAM it has to be Samsung B-die single rank.

These results are probably because of some bug, that gimps single rank...

No. It's talking about the arrays of chips on the RAM, single rank and dual rank.

DDR4-2667 Dual-Rank > DDR4-3200 Single-Rank > DDR4-2667 Single-Rank

Not to mention!
guru3d.com/news-story/amd-offers-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen.html

I think it's interesting based on the cost of throwing super fast single rank RAM on Ryzen, which is pricey.

Getting outperformed by dual ranked RAM which is usually cheaper.

According to the same article this is a bigger jump than moving to 3200mhz memory, so this is a cheap way to get more performance without also worrying about mobo compatibility

Guess this is my 4 DIMM setup.

hm, isn't it because servers use low clocked high density RAM? makes perfect sense why controller performs better with them

Yup, RDIMMs go up to quad ranked

>AMD gets more performance from physically denser and slower memory

What kind of wizardry is AMD up to?

I can't explain it other than memory controller tricks.
Which is kinda neat because all those naples servers will be running dual rank ECC

>1500X
Too bad, we can't know if the same is true for 1600/1600x

I have a r7 1700 with a gigabyte ax370 gaming 5 board and a 2x8gb kit of ripjaws 3200. I can't get it to boot past 2400, with voltage set properly, should I buy a new kit or wait for optimization?

Might wait for optimazation... But as you're a spender, not doing research, you might as well buy new ones.

Make sure they're 3200mhz cl 14, or 3600mhz+. Those should work, or are likely to work, or at least liklier.

If you're on dual rank you don't even need to bother with higher memory speeds.

i.4cdn.org/g/1491964334829.png

Not sure if it's dual rank or not. Specs don't say so anywhere.

Guess I'll wait then.

>Specs don't say so anywhere.
It's on the kits themselves, should say something like 1Rx or 2Rx followed by capacity or frequency

2R is dual rank

I'll check when I get home. Last night I got it to boot into Windows at 2400, but everything was super laggy, unusable. I'll have to play more with it tonight