Is it possible to suspend a program to memory in linux...

is it possible to suspend a program to memory in linux, for example i dont want a videogame running in the background when im not playing it but also i dont want to go through the trouble of opening it and closing it

what do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice_(Unix)
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/2107/how-to-suspend-and-resume-processes
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sage and burn, kys faggot

I guess only java telephones have this kind of power then

>go through the trouble of opening and closing it
>Opening and closing it

First off how are you this fucking lazy and secodnly you do not "open" a game you "run" a game

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice_(Unix)

see also: renice

nice just changes the priority though
I want the program to be completely suspended

killall -SIGTSTP
killall -SIGCONT
seems like it would work, but maybe unreliable

i think that you're a cock hungry faggot

Doesn't changing the niceness to 19 basically halt the application when there's anything else running at the same time?

i dont want it running at all

If you play a game in a virtual machine, you can put it away and pick it up again later.

Try playing a PS Vita, it's a feature built in to the firmware

I don't want you breathing at all.

haha

this
Save the VM current state, close the virtualization program and open it later.

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/2107/how-to-suspend-and-resume-processes wasn't hard to google

>using search engines
wtf my dude

>suspend a program to memory
You don't suspend software to memory, memory is where you cache running software.
You load software from a hard drive to memory to execute it on the processor. What do you propose should happen when you suspend the software to where it's already running from? Do you only mean to freeze it's state temporarily?
For the record, all operating systems swap. Traditional desktops just don't have a need to swap things like games.

wrong retard

Close, but by default this will still require reading from disk while reloading the state of the VM, which isn't much different from loading the game normally.

You can get around this by creating a file system in RAM and making the VM save its state there. You can do this by adding a line to fstab like you would to maybe any fs, but instead of having type ext4 or ntfs or whatever, use tempfs.

is right, you might want to keep an eye on swapping. If you don't want it to happen, I'm sure there's a way to do it, because GNU/Linux is magic.

Also, OP is a flaming faggot.

you can SIGSTOP it, which will effectively "pause" the process, using no CPU (and by extension, the GPU)
it will stay in RAM, but will be swapped out if need be

as for completely saving the process, there is one project i'm aware of, CRIU. not sure if it can handle programs that use the GPU directly

>why shouldn't you use search engines?
Wtf my dud

>kys

Suicide is not something to joke about, user.

If there's no mechanism to simply suspend the process inherently, you could fuck with the niceness settings so it's barely getting CPU time

guhhh why is linux so lame