Ubuntu 17.04 General

Why isn't there a thread for this? Ubuntu 17.04 releases tomorrow! Discuss anything Ubuntu

I for one will probably go with the Ubuntu GNOME release, however I'm worried that there will be a lot of breakages and incompatibilities with themes and extensions.

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/gnome-session
packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/gnome
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also I've read from some sources that Ubuntu GNOME will have GNOME 3.22 and others that it will have GNOME 3.24. Anyone know which it really is?

It's not an LTS

packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/gnome-session

3.24 seems to be the right answer

Is that a huge issue? I've had 16.10 installed for a while and it's never really not felt like an LTS besides GTK theme and Icon Support

Yes, for stability and I don't want to reinstall my system all the time.

Thanks, this is good and bad I guess
What do you run currently?

Upgrading between versions shouldn't be a problem.

Actually it seems to be 3.22.
packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/gnome

this, no non-LTS is going on my servers

not that guy but I hear that upgrades can cause breakages vs a fresh install
that's probably a bit better for support I guess
Well I would hope so

I've only updated once between releases and it worked flawlessly.
Exit the X session, log into a TTY, run the updater, reboot and everything should work.

>better for support I guess
Not necessarily. 3.24 is the latest version, it has the latest bugfixes and should have less newly introduced bugs.

well there is bug fixes and such, there's definitely more compatibility with 3.22 which is what most people want, especially for GNOME extensions

Of you mature an OS so simple a bigger cash user if only a bigger so offset it

am I having a stroke right now?

Isn't this the one they are dumping unity on?

What the fuck are you trying to say.

Ubuntu Gnome isn't as good a a gnome-focused OS like Fedora. The integration isn't there and the team maintaining it are pretty new.

I would stay on lts and enjoy Unity while I can

Huh? What did you just say? Jordan are you alright bro?

unity is getting dropped from the official release on 18.04, but I hear that Unity 7 will still be in the repositories or something, Unity 8 and Mir will no longer be developed to my knowledge but the community has forked it to Yunit or some shit and is continuing it

There are Ubuntu spinoffs that already support GNOME, so integration shouldn't be an issue.

I think Jordan has a stroke

I have MATE 17.04 beta 2

it jest werks

What's new really

I mean, I'm willing to bet no one talks about it because nothing's really motivating. 18.04 is what people talk about since they're going to drop Unity. In fact, since they are, more people will probably move away from Ubuntu and use flavors because Unity is going to die anyways.

What is the most stable Ubuntu flavor (or simply the most stable DE) when switching between iGPU and dGPU with nvidia-prime?
Tried GNOME, it wouldn't even let me login.
Tried Cinnamon, it would crash after login.
Tried Unity, all seems to work but it freezes everytime I unplug the external monitor from my laptop or even during shutdown.

Forget about nvidia-prime and optimus switching, its so shit it's basically non-functional in linux. Why are you even running linux on a gaming laptop?

>Why isn't there a thread for this?
Because as much as people like to diss it, ubuntu "just werks"

There's nothing to discuss. If you want to tinker, you chose anything but an ubuntu or RHEL derivative, or a BSD. If you just want to get work done and get on with your life, you chose ubuntu, RHEL or their derivations.

Anything notable changed since 16.10? I use mainline

It's an XPS 15 and I want to train muh neural networks

So WTF do I do?

Then install nvidia nad intel drivers, and use the bios to switch between intel and nvidia gpus.

zesty seems fairly quiet (I've been using dev builds). They started testing Unity 8 and Mir just in time to get ready to drop it in 17.10.

There's not a huge difference from yakkety, or even xenial, other than newer builds of stuff.

I just deleted from my machine and replaced it with Fedora.

Doesn't that mess up with Xorg? I might legit do it, as things are now I have to reboot anyway to turn the Nvidia GPU on.

Why the fuck can't shit jus werk in 2017?

i386 support dropped.

Canonical is forcing you to become a consumer whore.

Because nvidia never oepn sources anything, including the API for optimus GPU switching. This isn't a problem on AMD gpu equipped laptops.

Fuck it I'm biting the bullet, going to upgrade from 16.04

>Forcing you to buy hardware you already have
Are you seriously implying you're using regularly an x86 machine from pre amd64?

If so, use Gentoo or someshit, Canonical can't keep supporting your outdated ass forever.

>GNOME release, however I'm worried that there will be a lot of breakages and incompatibilities with themes and extensions.

>GNOME

>breakages and incompatibilities with themes and extensions.

Yes, of course. Gnome is a developer DE, not an user DE.

I have to, I sort of broke mesa a few weeks back.
>pic related
I've been waiting for this so I can reinstall, since reverting packages now would only break things further.

It's a flawed DE.

GNOME doesn't know what it is.

Feel you mate, that's why I dropped Ubuntu ultimately and went back to Debian Sid.
I work with my Intel GPU and start what I want with primusrun, much easier than having to log out every time.

Whatever it might be, it's shit for the user.

Oh look it's the same shit as last year.

Were you expecting something different user?

Something to justify an increment in version number, yes.

Windows user here. Does Linux use Wayland yet? How are the GTX 1000 series drivers?

There is, a new Kernel, massive amount of package changes, etc.

An OS shouldn't be developed with the facebook philosophy.

'Linux' is a kernel... It doesn't 'use' a usermode API, no.

Other distros are using Wayland now though, yes.
Ubuntu isn't because 'muh MIR' until 18.04 when mir and unity are dropped for wayland and GNOME3.

>How are the GTX 1000 series drivers?
>Linux
>nVidia
hee-haw.

The correct answer is both as good as Windows and just as shit as you remember them.

Why would you install ubuntu on a server anyway

Moved to Fedora, tired of canonical shit.

Yuck.
I'll never use another RPM based distro, shit it just too whacky.

I can understand the canonical distaste, but why not Debian?

Muh feels when I have to stay on 14.04 because my laptop amd gpu doesn't work without the catalyst driver

What GPU?
Have you reported the issue?

radeonsi team are pretty good with help.

I'm so glad they are killing Unity. Fuck that piece of SHIT.

I actually like Unity.

autistic tripfags should go

Why don't they make an LTS version of GNOME, like feature freeze at 3.20 and commit to bugfixes and optimizations for 3 years or so. Then the major distributions can focus on tight integration instead of having this moving target.

>shit it just too whacky
What do you mean?

>but why not Debian
Maybe you have a solution for that -
sometimes when I wanted to remove packages with apt, it wanted to remove some essential packages like X, GNOME packages, python packages. happened to me only on debian.

>ubanto
That's why there was no thread. No one cares beyond the four people posting in this thread and the handful of others here for trolling purposes.

>GNOME devs
>caring about compatibility and features
AHAHAHAHAH

FML

use aptitude.
I'm not sure why it isn't the default across all apt based distros.

As for RPM, database corruption is hell and the crazy depends on file system drove me nuts - no telling what package a dep is in, since it's depending on a file.

Upgrading between systems has failed or caused seriously buggy behavior 3 of the 3 times I tried it.

You don't need to fuck your life, just fuck nvidia, get an amd gpu on your desktop, and stick to intergrated on your laptop, that what I do.

Not a single ML framework supports AMD tho.
And I honestly don't like the brand, just a petty thing of mine

Because RHEL is the LTS version of GNOME

Why not? It's very stable and one of the most popular AMIs for EC2. People frequently run their business off Ubuntu.

does it play games yet?

depends what kind of games you are into I guess but the list here should keep me busy for a fair amount of time.

Overwatch is literally the only thing keeping me back on Windows right now

This.

I am still on 14.04.4 because newer versions use higher Xorg and amd will not update fglrx

It shouldn't.
But it was every single time I tried it, until I quit that shit and reinstalled one last time - Debian 6

AMD Radeon HD 6620G

same

You know they stopped it because its outdated as fuck and AMDGPU was worked on by AMD themselves.

see

16.04 unity here.

Not upgrading until 2021 depending on 18.04 being shit with Gnome or not.

Welp; I'll be damned. My bad.

Will ubuntu 17.10 ditch unity before LTS?

Just use the open source drivers. Do you really play games or use 3D intensive program on Linux? Specially with an AMD card with its godawful opengl performance

worst post on Sup Forums in months

Good point.

They're dropping PowerPC, not i686
They dropped i386 support in Ubuntu 12.04

Yes

Speaking of PowerPC, is there a single distro that works well (including gpu acceleration) with G4?

More specifically the more or less rare eMac

>when the autism turns into full blown schizophrenia

>1 AM UTC
>still no release announcement
what's going on?

Abandon Linux, use MorphOS and actually enjoy the machine.

Linux is a dog on old PowerPCs.

Jordan, call your medic

I can't wait for tomorrow

>there's definitely more compatibility with 3.22
Extension memes are backfiring now?

rip

>Why isn't there a thread for this?
People with true jobs in datacenters and IT networking dont use Ubuntu.

>Ubuntu 17.04 releases tomorrow! Discuss anything Ubuntu

Unity was terrible and show fragmentation is weakness of GNU/Linux ecosystem. But we dont use graphical interfaces in profesional IT-

There's not a single extension that works on 3.22 that doesn't also work on 3.24

MIR was terrible fragmentation

Who cares about desktop environments

do these short versions carry over to newer versions? seems like a waste of time to have to start fresh every 6-9 months. they must collect info from their users, somehow, or what's the point?