How did you learn how to repair your PC?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=25p2uCu7p_A&t=8s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Troubleshooting and google.

1. dont be retarded
2. have access to google

Out of necessity to make DOS games work on my second hand 386. Read the readme.txt, edit autoexec.bat, have some DOS installation disks handy just in case and pray it works. Then it evolved into checking windows help files and went naturally from there.

fpbp
also the only answer

t. googlets

quit posting pics of that camwhore.

I watched Louis Rossmann videos.

i watched several building videos on youtube, if you're not as dumb as a potato you can understand how to repair your own PC or even mod it in 1 hour or so

How do you repair a motherboard if it doesn't turn on?

By replacing the faulty components.

How do you diagnose faulty components on a motherboard?

trial and error

By breaking it, and in a sweaty panic fixing it.

But really, experience is the key, go on craigslist and find old computer parts that are cheap and put it all together, if there's a problem, which there may be with electronics on CL, find, diagnose and fix the problems.

how old is this bitch?

youtube.com/watch?v=25p2uCu7p_A&t=8s

Fuck it up entirely, delete google and only use the man pages.

With electrical engineering knowledge and a multimeter.

common sense, trial and error, and asking persons that were ahead of me with their knowledge. how else

Legos. Taking things apart and putting them back together in specific steps. I did that with everything and eventually my first computer too.
So after looking up what each component was I learned what errors are caused by what hardware, and fixed those things as they broke.
I was around 12 when the HDD died on my Pentium 3 runescape machine
Saved up 70$ and bought a new one, burned a disk of Windows xp, installed it, learned what drivers were and the rest is history

Though I have to admit, it wasn't until a few years ago I learned about part compatibility with things like chipsets and ram formats.
My first "custom" pc was taking an old lga 775 Pentium 4 system, bought a 771 Xeon and ddr1 ram, a low profile pcix16 gpu for a system with no pcie slots
Kind of a fuck up but I was out maybe 10$
Now I'm much more proficient, making sure things are compatible

Broke shit

Fixed shit

Worked in super shitty local PC shop, building super shitty PCs for them.

Started fixing super shitty PCs for said shop.

Went to college, dumpster dived for parts. Built PCs with what I found, and fixed others with what I found.

Sold said machines to English majors. Used profits to buy cheap parts. Sold new, better than the dumpster dived, but still shitty machines to english majors at a small markup (made about $30 per machine).

Knowing let myself get used by pretty girls, who would flirt with me to fix their machine for free.

Note, that last step seems like it should be optional, but isn't. I don't know why, but it happens to almost everyone who fixes machines. Even if they're a girl.

I never did.

who is

>she

Absolutely destroyed my parents Windows 3.1 machine back in the day. Freaked tf out because I knew I was fucked. So from there I learned how to reinstall Windows and what a hard drive was. I knew from that fuck up on I needed one so I saved up and learned how to assemble my own.

Why would my PC ever need repairs?

Here he has a video of hers embedded. (Yes Unfortunately for you, it is a she)

when i was like 8 years old my parents would come to find me dismantling electronics. one day it would be the radio, the next the vcr. by the time i was 10 i was dismantling them, AND putting them back together. it was only natural they bought me a computer for my bar mitzvah at 13 years old. the rest is history and now i'm the most successful programmer on the planet.

my dad was an engineer who worked from home. In 1994, he had a beefy as fuck computer: 486dx2, 400mb HDD, 16MB RAM-- this was CRAZY fast.

Well I saw that as an oppurtunity to play any game I wanted. Well, one day I fucked up the autoexec and config.sys to fix the sound blaster.

With alot of work to do, he beat me silly, and told me i couldnt go anywhere until I fixed it.

And that's how i learned to fix computers.

>bar mitzvah
They didn't give you a computer for being a good boy, they gave you a computer to say sorry for having to bow to social pressure and have your dick cut by some old dude.

by rmaing it

it’s often due to the CMOS battery that died, try changing it before doing anything else.
Also, it’s often (not always) for that reason some computers are “broken”.

in judaism you get circumcised at 8 days old. it's islam where they often circumcise you at 13 years old.

Check the power supply first. If it doesn't come on, the board isn't going to get power. If that's all good, move on to the power cable. It connects to the motherboard, and completes a circuit to start up the board. You can manually jump the two pins needed to start it up. After that my guess would be that the board needs to be inspected. Also, ground yourself before you start working on your machine.

My motherboard owners manual.

Shut up

Step 1: break it
Step 2: learn to repair it

I read a book.
Expanded from there.

Built my first PC because I was a gaymer

Also learned a lot about Linux overtime by randomly installing a distro every couple of months when I got bored because I was some edgy faggot kid that thought they were a h4x0r 1337 person. After a month or two i'd want to gayme again and reinstall Windows.

Ended up working in a Datacenter through a family friend connection after I graduated High School. They knew I could assemble PC's. Started assembling servers for new orders in the datacenter, ended up learning a lot about networking and sysadmin tasks overtime.

Went to college for CS, dropped out after the 3rd semester and went back to the datacenter job. Got the standard run of the mill IT certifications over the next 5 years and then applied for a few jobs. Now I sysadmin at a Fortune 500 making 6 figures.

Am I the only one in the thread who had my dad teach me? He was building in the 286 era and prior, I came on board then when I was like 6-9
love my dad, thanks pop.