Is there any reason to upgrade your computer these days?

Is there any reason to upgrade your computer these days?
I'm using 2011 laptop and it still works fine. Anything computationally heavy can be offloaded to cloud or a workstation if need be.
Why do average people buy new laptops?

longer battery life, more power efficient, better display. can your 2011 laptop play 4k video without running the cpu at 100%?

I tend to have about a 5 year run with laptops, so thats why for me.

Laptop 1 = 2001 - 2006
Laptop 2 = 2006 - 2010
Laptop 3 = 2010 - 2015
Laptop 4 = 2015 - ??

Gaymes

Should it? It's a laptop, not a home theater system.

>longer battery life
Is this true in practice?
> can your 2011 laptop play 4k video without running the cpu at 100%?
It can play them but will use cpu heavily.
Is playing 4k while multitasking on a laptop that important?

that's up to you. i use my laptop for video playback.

>I tend to have about a 5 year run with laptops, so thats why for me.
No reason besides habit?

Why would you care whether something that's 15" at the most is playing 4K? Anything higher than 720 veers into diminishing returns.

The memes might be confusing if you are young. Before the 2000s, CPUs and systems in whole were becoming 2X faster within only 1-1.5years, e.g. my computer from 1995 was absolute trash compared to the one I got in 1998. Nowadays the transistor is extremely harder to shrink, therefore the advances are much slower, and they are mainly algorithmic advances.

For example, CPUs only advance max 5% every 1-2 years nowadays, so it's kinda mentally retarded to get a whole new system for the CPU if at least 4 to 5 years haven't passed.

GPUs give the delusion they advance more but it's because they are parallel machines so they can make oversized and overpriced chips, and AMD/NV are a patents cartel.

Yes, 4k is using like 30-60% cpu

t. screenlet

>Why do average people buy new laptops?

Because Microsoft purposely puts in bloat slowing it down or ends support for their OS. It makes me cross since people get milked for untold amounts of money to do the same thing that they have been doing since the mid-90s.

Outside of multi-media computing hasn't gotten anywhere near as advanced as the specs required wants you to think it has. I have a 10 year old laptop and it still works totally fine for actual work, with just the internet getting fat and heavy causing it to slow down a bit even when blocking scripts.

Really it's only the web that has caused old computers to become less useful than they actually are.

Meanwhile back in the PC master race:
Nah bro, you don't need 1440 till > 24"
And 4k is your choice, they're way overprices right now.

>Longer battery life, more power efficient
Install something that's not windows or atleast reinstall windows 7 once every 2 years. You wouldn't believe what that shit does to battery life. That OS just fucking sucks ass over time
Get a non- Acer, Asus, Mac or anything plastic-y and it'll last you for many years. I've had my thinkpad for 5 years now and it works just fine. Haven't even replaced the original SSD and it is just fine.

=>*

If you just look for a laptop with better battery life, you will absolutely be able to find one. I'm sure there are places on the internet where they do nothing but check battery life on various gadgets.

I just bought me an old 6c/12t xeon and it still (oc'ed) keeps up with the 'new" stuff.

I'm fucking baffled, because I remember the times when my 4 year old pentium 4 couldn't handle anything anymore.

You really don't need to overclock that.

average people treat their electronics like shit and have to buy a new one every few years because the old one stops working

>Acer, Asus, Mac
What's bad about these?

I'm using this with an optical bay drive caddy. ssd+hdd. 4GB RAM, intel core2. It cost me $110 CAD. Business refurb.
>autists will find a problem with this laptop

>longer battery life
Rather just buy a new battery.
>more power efficient
Delaying an upgrade is more environment friendly and will save you money.
>Better display
Better display to take away from the better battery life? I don't need more than 1200px on a laptop. If by better you mean something else than sharpness then I feel it's too minor to warrant an upgrade.
>4k video without 100%
I don't mind running cpu at 100% if I'm watching a 4k video, not like I need it for anything else while I'm watching it. If i need to multitask I will not be watching a 4k video.

You buy a new laptop once your old one actually breaks and is out of warranty.

I recently upgraded my laptop to one with an infinitely better GPU that weighs less than my memepad

DDR3 to suit your usage needs
Core 2 Duo processor or newer
SATA SSD with space to suit your needs

With that trifecta, you'll never be able to tell (much less care about) the age of a daily driver computer. We did it boys. We reached the zenith.

I'd even say that if you were to get only one of them, make it the SSD. I have a 10 year old laptop with 2GB of RAM and a 1.8GHz CD and putting an SSD in it made it fly like shit off a shovel.

Agreed, especially because as you go back in age you tend to find a lot of slow HDDs too. An SSD is basically two stages of upgrade for the price of one at that point.

What's amazing is that budget refurbished business desktops are now fully functional desktops rather than crappy shitboxes that aren't good for a thing.

Buy now before the market catches on!

So SSD is worth it? Looking at upgrading from HDD to Samsung 850 EVO 1TB.

>autists will find a problem with this laptop

It's not a thinkpad.