Dead programming languages

Which languages are dead in 2017?

PHP has gotta be one of them since employers don't ask for it anymore.

"if you ainn't growing, you're dying"

Which other ones are dead in your opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

w3techs.com/technologies/overview/programming_language/all
archive.fo/FWINP
tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

As long as Wordpress is still a thing, PHP will never die.

you dont need to know PHP to use WordPress. Plus most of the people who use WP don't even change any code.

w3techs.com/technologies/overview/programming_language/all

> 82% share of server side usage
> dying

Oh user...

archive.fo/FWINP

Enjoy using a dead language.

>PHP has gotta be one of them since employers don't ask for it anymore.

I want edgy contrarian unemployed uneducated sweaty anime watching neckbeards out of this thread right now.

>archive.fo/FWINP

That page is amazing and I agree 100%

C is dead. I havent heard of anyone using it in forever

I get paid 60k to write pho

Non WordPress

Stop shitposting

I feel sorry for you user

Basically everything except Java and JavaScript.

>be me in 2017
>got job fixing shitty software
>uses php4
>codebase has tens of thousands of lines of copy/pasted methods
>6k line long method
>variables named $xxx, $yyy, $zzz

send help

try harder, webdev
Almost everything requiring performance is in C Do you think you kernel is written is javascript?

k line long method
>>variables named $xxx, $yyy, $zzz
jesus... who the fuck was the original programmer of that shit???

my boss. he's nice about it, though.

this is the whole problem with PHP... fundamentally it's no shittier than any of the other crap scripting languages. just that it's been the preferred choice of people who simply do not know shit and cannot be fucked to learn.

i predict node.js will suffer the same fate.

>Literally just got hired as a PHP developer (do use other languages but backend is all PHP)
>Laravel also exists

Angular is going to take over everything because Google will build in search engine preference for it

Magento uses it and seems to be constantly growing and dominating in e-commerce.

Don't get me wrong, I hate php, but it isn't dying just yet.

see: php can keep """"dying"""" for the next 30 years and still be relevant

>symfony for the enterprise meme
>laravel for the artisan hobby meme
>composer for the centralized library meme

We have a great ecosystem now. PHP is not dying any time soon.

Don't really care whether PHP is overall dead or alive, since PHP is dead to me and I never want to write any line of it again. Hideous rotting dinosaur of a language

>been writing PHP since PHP4
>mfw I now want a python, node.js or java job but can only find PHP

>PHP is dead to me
Why? What happened?

it's a ghetto. kind of like Ruby has become... Python shops won't hire you because they've been trained to hate PHP

only real answer is getting good enough to contribute to OSS libs in the target language. but who has time for Github politics?

>Inexplicable nonsense

I started writing python and came to the conclusion that PHP is inferior. The syntax and way python works is so much easier and more enjoyable than PHP. Also if I do python backend work, I get a better salary.

node.js is just really fucking interesting.

As for Java, doing Java at work will help my java game side project, so that's a personal reason.

>java game side project

Why? Just why? Java isn't meant to program games.

B-but Minecraft?

I chose Java because progress is quicker than if I used C++, which would involve fucking about with pointers and other annoying stuff.

php has a future cause laravel
is erlang worth it tho?
I just want the functional nightmare to be over plz

You won't find tech companies hiring for php except for Facebook, but there are tons and tons of bugs g companies running php stuff. The ones with better devs are using laravel.

You'll also every web consulting firm out there still doing new php, not to mention all the legacy stuff.

php might not die for 30 years but the meme tier CS grads who clean up pajeet code wish they were dead

test post please ignore

This. Magento is throwing big money to spread itself.

PHP is like having sex with your dog. It feels so good while just being so god awfully bad and wrong.

>JavaScript
Cancer has never been this cool!

JS ate the world.

RUNESCAPE, faggot.

>tfw already getting on that angular 4 + typescript train

PHP is still the bulk of the backend of Facebook.

I just want to find what website they found that uses Haskell

We write all our embedded applications in C. Which is nice because it keeps the pajeets out.

I'm a PHP developer and spend like half my day learning angular

Facebook was written almost two decades ago

PHP has been in it's death throws for 20 years. This is it. Finally the year!

If the faggots that maintain it would write decent documentation for it less people would be copy pasting from stackoverflow etc

some normie looking "IT" guy I met at a bar said php and java were the best languages to learn.

Hope they just replace it with something else. PHP programmers are probably too stupid to learn any other language, though.

>If the faggots that maintain it would write decent documentation for it less people would be copy pasting from stackoverflow etc

How does stackoverflow help you understand code that isn't documented?

>English isn't his first language

Because if the documentation was decent, less people would need to go to stackoverflow to find help, you would think my post was self explanatory, evidently not.

I was talking about proprietary code, dumbass. No one else is going to know anything about the codebase besides the people at the company.

Only if you use Unity or Unreal

If I already know Java can I get a job with Javascript or C++?

C++ isn't too difficult to learn if you already know Java.

>Javascript has 150 jobs
>Cobol has 50 jobs
what did they mean by this?

Ancient Egyptian, Mayan language as well if I'm not mistaken, Latin is dead in practice

Perl, Cofeescript, Ada, C--, E, etc.

Can't wait for shitkell to die

Python
Javascript
Haskell
Rust
Lisp

They seem very similar.

I have learn Perl in school. Why?

Mysteriously not listed: what those jobs actually make. Wonder why this is.

>We noticed you haven't kept up on your payments. I thought you were a programmer?
>Yeah bro I left that job because it didn't have enough "Cool Factor"

fucking retarded hippies thankfully won't ever be a part of this sector. If you unironically use the words cool factor then you certainly have no idea what the word responsibility means

"being productive"

>not using symfony3

>PHP is like having sex with your dog. It feels so good while just being so god awfully bad and wrong.

Fucker, you're writing it on OS with kernel written in C, using keyboard drivers written in C and asm, to website running on server with kernel written in C, which uses PHP also written in C. It's like saying atoms are dead because you don't build anything by manipulating matter on such basic level. Sure, you ain't gonna write your website in C, but it will run thanks to layers upon layers of tools written in it.

What are the units for Cool Factor? Coolios? Rads? What?

gotta be something to do with hipsters

>php
>needs a web server to run
>relevant

PHP 7 work very well
what wrong with it?
how do you replace it ?

ADA

PHP-CLI is the God tier language. No GIL so you have full concurrent multi-threading and a fantastic syntax that's basically a mix of the good parts of Perl and Java.

Nah, it's all done in C++.

swift

>and a fantastic syntax
Remind me again why members are accessed with -> when there's no pointers?

C#

you're an idiot. it's always going up on TIOBE. not to mention it's one of the most lucrative ones for getting a high paying job

>php dead
KEK

tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

-T.cant into php

Some freak pulled up some ms-paint and made a big deal out of it.
Here take this: xD

Holy shit that page says that there are 75 million frameworks for javascript.

Ruby