/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 aren't worthwhile, unless for single threaded. e.g. dwarf fortress & emulators
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless super cheap on sale
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget, consider 6700k and/or a locked motherboard + cheaper cooler; not chasing 4.8Ghz capable when you weren't gonna overclock - or get Ryzen 5/7
>R7 for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470, RX480 8GB, R9 Fury, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over any card weaker than an RX470, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)
>RX500 comes April 18th. Vega in May

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help here
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity
>Save money with mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/z4vvcc
youtube.com/watch?v=JypkqwpOtNI
event.asrock.com/usretailer/newegg-AM4-Apr/
pcpartpicker.com/list/H6kR6X
pcpartpicker.com/list/vjfR6X
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

should i buy an ultrawide 1080p 144hz monitor or 16:9 1440p 100hz monitor to use for my racing sim rig?

I need a new high end graphics card. My heart was set on a 1080 TI, but EVGA is next month I believe and Strix is just so fucking fat. I mean REALLY fat. Add the fact that they sell out in seconds and take weeks to restock. I'll wait if that is the best choice, but I am just seeing my options.

That said, I have been considering just going for a 1080 (maybe SLI down the line?) or a 980 TI SLI (heard great things). I want something that can max out most games at 1440p 60 FPS, and do great in 4K, which is why I was looking fot a TI. Also is SLI still a meme or is now a good place to start?

screen?

1. What do you mean EVGA is next month?
2. 1080 can run 1440p and 4k at 60fps
3. More and more games are starting to be optimized for SLI, look at Witcher 3 for instance, but it's expensive and a single awesome card can do better than two pretty good cards.

I've got a gtx1080 and it does very well.

pcpartpicker.com/list/z4vvcc

This is it, the home stretch.

Been researching peripherals now. Not sure what to do on the monitor and I want a good blu-ray drive.

Opinions on the Asus VG245H?

How is he playing without the cards plugged in?

How better is a 7200 rpm HHD as opposed to a 5400 rpm HHD

1440p.
Ultrawide sucks. Especially 1080p ones.

Wasn't the SLI microstutter problem never fixed?

I'd get a 1TB 850 EVO instead. It's not much more than the 500GB 960 and you won't see the difference in speed most of hte time.

The VG245H is just okay. It's only 1080p. It's TN. 75hz. You can get similar monitors for cheaper and much better ones for significantly more.

>How better is a 7200 rpm HHD as opposed to a 5400 rpm HHD
1800 better

>how is he playing minecraft without 1080ti's
idk no normal computer can run minecraft

Currently got a 1080p, but I am upgrading to one that can do 1440p soon, and eventually, I'll get a 4K one. Eventually. I just want the card to get it out of the way before upgrading the monitor. Annoys me how current gen vidya struggles to keep 30 FPS on medium settings.

EVGA FTW 1080 TI card. And what's your honest thoughts on the 1080? I really am considering going for it over TI. Any downsides, games you had troubles with, etc.

looks good.

What did he mean by this?

Issues with the 1080? None, it can run everything I throw at it. In Fallout 4 at ultra in 1080p, it still cranks out 150fps in the most stressful areas.

If I had money to upgrade to 4k, I'd go 1080 in SLI or Ti though, based on my current experience.

want to upgrade from 2600k

1. r5 1600 $219
2. gigabyte b350 gaming 3 $109
3. Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3200mhz $69

$397 upgrade

>TFW buying parts over time
>Bought I5 months ago
>Ryzen 5 comes out and I want that instead

Woe is me

I've never heard anyone say ultrawide sucks?

1080 TI for 1440p gaymen for 3~5 years yes or no?

buy midrange gpus, tech is too fast now

Those are fine, but you can already find 1600s on sale. Like from Jet.

>Bought I5 months ago
But why?
The writing was on the wall for years that games were starting to utilize hyperthreading well and that it was actually worth it.

So the 7600k gets higher max frames which pull up its average, but its minimum sucks? And good minimums are what you need at higher resolutions.
I'm sure this will shift more in Ryzen's favor without Nvidia drivers holding it back, too.

I don't see why it won't last longer desu

How does this look for a development PC? I have old GPU I can use

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($218.67 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($58.98 @ PCM)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($36.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $525.90

Seems like you an I have the same thinking user. I'm gonna go for it. Already researched hours into it, but iffy on the brand. Like the TI, I am thinking Asus Strix or EVGA FTW (thermal pads issue fixed? or was it a different model?). Thoughts on which?

Hey Sup Forums, I'll upgrade my pc pretty soon. I have currently:
>an old Phenom X4 955
>8gb DDR3
>Geforce GTX750TI, 2gb DDR5
>a couple of ssd's bought last year to boost a little my rig

I don't do much gaming (mainly RTS, retro games, some GTA online, far cry, etc). I do some photo editing and graphic design (Photoshop and Illustrator). I'd like to start learning AfterEffects, but that's the software that made my pc feel it's age. So, I'm looking at

>R7 1700
>X370 mobo

or

>R5 1600
>B350 mobo

I'll buy 16gb DDR4 RAM, and keep the GPU and SSD's for a while. What would Sup Forums do? Is AfterEffects threaded enough to make it worthwhile going for the R7? Or would I be fine getting the R5?

Ryzen 1400 can be gotten from Jet for $141 as well.
I'm not sure they're even worth it at that, but I mean if you have some ultra tight budget I guess it's the best way to go.
The 1500X and 1600 are significantly better.

>I don't see why it won't last longer desu
Because of more games going DX12 and Vulkan only.
Its 4K performance is already meh in some titles, dropping under 60fps. 1440p will be similar perf requirements in 3-5 years as 4K is today, probably.
But it'll almost certainly perform well over 30fps, if that's good enough.

Get dual channel. It makes a 5-25% difference. Looks fine otherwise. I guess you don't need faster RAM if it's just dev, but I'd still get dual channel.

>R7 1700
>X370 mobo
>R5 1600
>B350 mobo
How are these comparable? One is significantly more expensive than the other.

Daily reminder that thanks to Ryzen 5, Intel i3, i5, and Ryzen 7 have absolutely no reason for regular consumers to buy them.
>i7>= R5 > R3> Pentium

Let me rephrase that. It sounds confusing. Thanks to Ryzen 5, there is now no reason for regular gaymurs/consumers to buy an i3, i5, or R7.

> Get dual channel
Noted. I probably do need more memory. I can buy more when I feel that what I have doesn't meed day to day needs.

Isn't that a itx motherboard?
The fuck are those fans cooling?

At higher resolutions, the bottleneck is lifted from the CPU and onto the GPU. This is why you see a variance of 10.1% in 1080p, but only a variance of 3.9% at 1440p and 1.5% at 4k.
The 8.6% difference in variance should be an obvious flag. The CPU is not the bottleneck in 4k gaming tests and it's also why all of AMD's game presentations were in 4k.

btw i am not a shill, i have a PC with an FX series chip and another with an i5. On my main rig, I have an RX 480.

>At higher resolutions, the bottleneck is lifted from the CPU and onto the GPU.
Ok.
Explain this, and why the i5-7400 can't drive 50fps when the GPU is clearly capable of it.

I already know the answer, but go on.
Fact is that CPU still matters even when the GPU is working 99%+

>an old Phenom X4 955
>8gb DDR3
>Geforce GTX750TI, 2gb DDR5

Holy shit are you me? I'm going R5 1600/GTX 1070 next week. It's going to be dank as fuck.

>Thanks to Ryzen 5, there is now no reason for regular gaymurs/consumers to buy an i3, i5, or R7.

wait wut
The 7600k has more overclocking headroom than the1600x, better average performance, and is $10 cheaper.
Not to mention a wider selection of motherboards at cheaper prices.

Maybe you should keep your old GPU for now and wait and see if Nvidia gets their driver issues sorted.

So are the issues between GTX cards and the Ryzen going to be fixed any time soon? Or should I hold off on buying a ryzen because I have a GTX card?

>picks one game out of a litter of hundreds
this proves what?

>Fact is that CPU still matters even when the GPU is working 99%+
no shit?
The point is that obviously the CPU is not the bottleneck in these instances.

begone AMD shill

Bit confused. ASUS PRIME B350-A board says

> Integrated AMD Radeon™ R Series Graphics in the 7th Generation A-Series APU

Does this mean I don't need a gpu as the board itself contains an igpu?

>more overclocking headroom
Not trying to sound like a faggot corelet, but more cores makes a bit of a difference in performance. But you're right. Ryzen in general can even overclock past XFR.
>motherboards at cheaper prices
If youre looking at the X370 mobos, B350 mobos are much cheaper and can still overlock

>Does this mean I don't need a gpu as the board itself contains an igpu?
No. It's basically the same as with Intel, it says the mobo is prepared for a CPU with an integrated GPU, in this case AMD APU.
AMD APUs aka Raven Ridge will come later this year.

Maybe Ryzen+: Wait™ Edition will have an iGPU

>The 7600k has more overclocking headroom than the1600x, better average performance, and is $10 cheaper.
No, it's not cheaper when you spend $150 on a motherboard and $150 on a cooler.

And no matter how much you overclock it, it still only has 4 threads.

>The point is that obviously the CPU is not the bottleneck in these instances.
You just have no idea what you're saying, do you?
The CPU can drive 56fps fine. Hence it's driving that with an AMD GPU in an apparently GPU bottlenecked scenario.
Yet it only gets 44fps when the 1080 is GPU bottlenecking at 4k.

CPU clearly still matters when GPU bottlenecked. This has been proven time and time again. You're just a fool.

GeForce 1060 price dropping

Thanks
Buying at such a volatile time is really stressful

what are you going to use for development? you should try to squeeze a ssd in there too, it really helps if you use heavy IDEs

well, it's not like I have the money for any video card

might as well wait and see what the close future brings

I already promised my friend he could have my rig. I don't think i'll have a problem with 1600/1070 at 1440p.

>Z270 at $145
>B350 at $70

you fucked my m8

Eclipse for work stuff and Visual Studio (doing web stuff) for personal projects. Usually have a linux virtual machine running web server among other things (why I probably need more RAM).

I'll consider an SSD but kind of tight budget. Maybe as an upgrade in a few months.

I can do a cheaper upgrade to R5, or a more expensive, future-proof upgrade with R7 that would last me longer (mind you, I'm coming from a Phenom II X4 955). I was asking if I'd see more noticeable benefits on After Effects with a R7, maybe after effects is lightly threaded so I'd see no benefit and I'd be better served with a R5 cpu.

Lol, it's going to be great, bro. The Phenom has served well, tho.

>more cores makes a bit of a difference in performance.
in compiling and zipping files yes, but in games mostly no

>If youre looking at the X370 mobos, B350 mobos are much cheaper and can still overlock
there's an infinitely larger selection for LGA1151 right now because Ryzen 5 just launched
the B350 mobos that I see run between $70-$110, while the B150/B250 LGA1151 mobos run between about $50-$100

Right now, it is actually a bit cheaper to build a mid-range Intel build by about $40ish

For "future proofing" I think you're better off getting an R5 now, and another R5 or the R7 once 7nm and higher clocks come.

>After Effects with a R7
After Effects is threaded well, IIRC. It's pretty much just Lightroom and Photoshop that aren't.
But the 1600X multithreaded performance is like 90% that of the 1700 stock since it's clocked so much higher.

>7600k on a B150/B250

Isn't he the idiot who thinks ram speed doesn't matter?

>in compiling and zipping files yes, but in games mostly no
youtube.com/watch?v=JypkqwpOtNI

Sure, if you're one those people that turns on their computer, loads up a game, then turns it off when they're done playing.
If you do any sort of multitasking, have stuff running in the background, then no.

And this is the 3.2/3.45Ghz 1600 compared to the 6600k, not the 1600X. I think you simply have to be retarded to get an i5.

>isn't he the idiot
yes

What would be the best motherboard and ram combo to pair with an r1600?

We get it, you bought a Ryzen 5 processor and that's great. You convinced yourself it was a great decision, and honestly you can't go wrong with either Ryzen 5 or Intel i5 right now. Welcome to team Red. I got an FX processor when it came out. I still mostly buy AMD GPUs. It feels good that AMD is relevant again.

But stop cherry picking shit. Your arguments are amounting to nothing.
The facts are, and this is accepted by basically everyone but you, that on average at higher resolutions, the GPU is going to be a bottleneck before the CPU. This has always been true and will always be true.

>1600x on a B350

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/64zw20/am4_motherboards_list_041217/

leddit has a list of motherboards with VRMs that looks accurate.
But 4+2 VRMs aren't necessarily bad since the quality of them still matters. It doesn't list digital vs analog.

>The VG245H is just okay. It's only 1080p. It's TN. 75hz.

1080p is my goal. 75hz is still an upgrade from the previous 1080@hz but yeah I've been looking at IPS monitors and they look more and more appealing.

What's a good 24" IPS 1080p monitor that wont break the bank?

How is pointing out that one CPU maxes out 100% on all 4 threads and the other has room to spare "cherry picking"?

It's just a fact.

Even if games don't fully utilize 6 or 8 cores with SMT, it's still power to spare for other shit running on my PC.

>1080@hz
mean to say 1080p @ 60hz

Just get the VG248QE and be done with it.

Thanks bro!

Why do you want less vertical pixels?
Acer B246WL is $270 for 1920x1200. But it's 60hz.

ASRock Pro4 for $65 after MIR if you review it and screenshot your review to them!
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157762

Found from /r/buildapcsales

I don't "want less vertical pixels" I just haven't ever really considered 16:10 as an option.

I'll look into both your and suggestions so thank you.

That seems like a horrible value.

I suppose this is an interesting sales tactics but it looks like they're doing it on all the X370 and B350 boards if anyone has bought one recently.

event.asrock.com/usretailer/newegg-AM4-Apr/

pcpartpicker.com/list/H6kR6X

I'm going to be doing some streaming/video editing/ virtual machine usage.

This should be plenty, right? 1080p, otherwise I would get a 1070.

Isnt Minecraft run on Java? Java only really uses CPU. So the 1080s wouldnt even be touched. They're doing just as much good unplugged.

You could save almost $100 if you went with an RX480 4GB that you could find on sale and actually get better performance in some shit.

You could save a couple bucks with a 550w psu
Get a 470/480 instead of the 1060

So CPU+GPu combo is the 1K build gaymen PC build now?

What?

LWJGL and OpenGL, user.

1600X or locked 7700 + RX480
The RX480 will be the bottleneck, but you can put in a nice 500GB or 1TB SSD in that budget and upgrade the GPU later.

a 1k build cant fit a 1070 in?

I just bought a GTX 1080 FE from best buy. Anyone have any experience with upgrading with them? I want to return in for a TI once they are in stock.

JUST TELL ME WHAT FUCKING 1080 MODEL TO BUY

pcpartpicker.com/list/vjfR6X

Building a PC that I wont have to touch for 4+ years
1920x1080 resolution with 2x 144Hz monitors
All other peripherals are purchased

Looking to break 300+ fps stable in TF2

>That list
Were motherboard manufactures just completely unprepared for the R7 and R5 releases?

It'd be pretty lopsided toward the 1070 if you tried to fit it in and wanted to get quality secondary components and a good CPU.

That seems pretty retarded mate. I don't know how that would work.

Just avoid EVGA, holy shit, was that hard?

Founders looks the best.

Why such a high wattage on the PSU? Are you planning for SLI or something?

JUST TELL ME WHAT FUCKING RX 480 MODEL TO BUY

$720 PC's are the future thanks to AMD.

It could. Wouldn't bother when an RX480 plays everything at 60fps+. Worst case is you have to drop a setting or two down but it looks inperceptively the same.

Why do you need 300fps?
Wouldn't 240 minimum be the most you need?

>Were motherboard manufactures just completely unprepared for the R7 and R5 releases?
I think they were unprepared for it actually being good.

XFR GTR if money doesn't matter and you just want the best one.
The cheapest one otherwise unless there's another within 5% of the price that has a significantly higher boost clock.

I am not - I remember someone telling me to go over what you need for the psu...?

yea whats up with the 850w? Even if you are going to crossfire a 750w is fine.

>Just avoid EVGA
Except they do have the updated version, they're overpriced compared to others though.

>Founders looks the best.
Eh, I want something with better cooling and I'm not doing a mini case.

I have two 480's for sale online. Go buy one.

When you buy one of those cards that's marketed as "overclocked" do you have to manually crank it up to that speed yourself or has the manufacturer already set the clock that high and you just pay for the added performance?

And I'm assuming if the card is OC or not you can still manually overclock it yourself?

if you aren't doing a mini case what is the problem? Turn up the fan curve and it should stay around or under 70c.

They boost to those clocks simple to turbo on a CPU.

Yes, you can manually OC them still.

Why did board manufacturers move from green PCB?

I thought blower cards were more suited for smaller cases because of the way they pull and eject heat. I have a solid 5~ inches of space from my PCIE slot to the PSU shroud, which is why I prefer AIB cards.

You don't have to go 500W over. Just a certain percentage. A 550W or 650W should work fine for you. EVGA and SeaSonic are good brands.