Getting back in to loonix after pretty much only using backtrack or whatever the fuck it is now as a recovery thing

>getting back in to loonix after pretty much only using backtrack or whatever the fuck it is now as a recovery thing
>look around, try to find a good debian based distro
>mint is king
>download, install
>it's Ubuntu with fucked up repos and a somehow worse window manager
Why is this shit popular? What do I do? Do I just download the XFCE or GNOME Ubuntu? Should I be moving away from Debian based? I hear good things about Arch and I know Gentoo is great but I'm not an incredible loonix user and I don't want to not have my computer for a few days while I wait for the install.

Other urls found in this thread:

dedoimedo.com/computers/maui-2-1-blue-tang.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

mint is a frankendebian and very insecure. you're better off just using actual debian or ubuntu, instead of something that tries to be both at once.

I'm no shit a minute and 30 seconds away from finishing the download and dding the Gnome ubuntu onto my flash drive

I've been using Manjaro for a while now and I'm really liking it, not trying to shill Arch to you, just saying that it's been great personally

Looks interesting. About to boot in to Ubuntu liveusb, but if I don't like Ubuntu I'll look in to it. I've never really used anything that wasn't debian based. Is the package management as good? That's what I always liked.

Yep, still pretty flawless
It's very smooth even with these specs.

>insecure
sauce?

Use a real distro like Debian or Fedora

>good debian based distro

Pacman > apt

are there any rpm distros that arent fedora but also arent ancient like rhel or centos?

Ubuntu GNOME is probably a good choice. Last week's shocking news was that Ubuntu is switching from Unity to GNOME as the default desktop, so in the next year Ubuntu GNOME will go from being a community-maintained flavour to being the officially supported one.

Yeah, distro versions with different DEs are called flavours. Cinnamon is the vanilla flavour of Mint.

SUSE and openSUSE. SUSE Linux Enterprise might be kind of ancient, but openSUSE Tumbleweed is rolling release.

I've been lurking forever, trying to figure out which linux distro to use as my first ever foray into linux. Longtime Windows user here. Seems like everyone has something bad to say about every distro. Curiously, everyone has something good to say about every distro. For the pure linux newbie like myself, the fact that seems to be no single distinct consensus "best" linux distro is a bit demoralizing of the desire to get started with linux.

However, I realized that I had no idea what I was doing with Windows when I began decades ago. I just jumped in. So, today I decided to jump in to linux. I decided to just start somewhere so that I can begin to form a personal, educated decision as to which is the best linux for me, and to know why it is the best. I installed VMware Workstation and installed Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon. So here I go. My first ever use of a linux terminal begins with a screenfetch. This is my hello world.

wew lad

Wasted a GET? I take my quints as confirmation that I made the right decision.

>Using a DE Showcase distro
Not even once

The secret to picking a distro is realizing that there isn't anything one distro can do that another can't. Just pick whatever and live with it.

The only difference being security updates and being told when you're allowed to upgrade.

The only real difference is rolling release(True freedom)

or standard release cycles aka being told how to apply updates to your computer.

>implying you can't upgrade any package on your system whenever you want
>implying slackware doesn't resolve dependencies

I know everyone is going to tell you "Don't use that fucking distro mine is better reeeeee!!!!!!", but I seriously recommend Manjaro (again), I went through Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint, Puppy Linux, even tried Kali out, but I feel really comfy at Manjaro, I even started learning Linux on this one

quints aren't a get newfag

#!++

Fuck off. Newfags don't even know the term. I never see quints anymore.

nice reddit spacing

looks comfy desu

Thank

You

Mate

who cares, you fucking autist

openSUSE, I have 2 years using it and is the best district I have ever tried

just use plain ol' ubuntu, or get on maui linux if you're cool with the new kde / plasma 5 (they do a really solid implementation of it, and they're basically kubuntu, with some debian backports and a TON of fixes to issues kubuntu for some reason never gets around to). read more about here: dedoimedo.com/computers/maui-2-1-blue-tang.html

has similarly laudatory reviews elsewhere. i'm likely moving to this from ubuntu when unity 7 completely kicks the bucket. tried it out and it's stellar. just don't have the time to migrate my mountains of data to a new distro yet. i used xfce for years before i switched to unity, and have dabbled with mate, gnome 3, pantheon, and cinnamon. nothing tops unity and the new kde plasma desktop in terms of stability and efficiency. minimal configuration necessary to get things streamlined, and then off to work.

his asshole.

Fantastic. Good luck user! Linux Mint are Cinnamon are by far the best DE out there.

Fedora works great.

I'm using Antergos which is Arch but easy to install. Cnchi (the installer) is garbage, but it does the job. Manjaro is decent too.

If you want to stick with more supported ones, Linux Lite (Ubuntu based), Korora (Red Hat based), or OpenSUSE might appeal to you. All three are great.

>Red Hat based
Fuck, I mean Fedora based. It's been a long day...

I kicked around with Linux Mint for about three hours today. Mint felt like I've used it before, coming from Windows. Mint seems fine but my opinion is only worth the total three hours I've used linux. I created another virtual machine with Manjaro KDE. Played around with that for an hour. Now I am trying out Manjaro XFCE. Arch feels like where I want to go with linux, that's why I tried Manjaro. After watching a couple of "getting started" vids, I started to think I would try Antergos next. Funny that you replied to me with your recommendation of Antergos. My goal is to eventually flip-flop my OS usage where my main is a linux distro and my virtual machine is Windows. I'll keep playing with linux in a virtual machine for a while, installing different linux distros. Once I find a comfortable linux distro with updated drivers that recognize all my new hardware, I'll make the swap for good. At this point already, I'm rooting for an Arch variety to win.

Yeah, Arch is going to be the easiest and simplest to do all of those tasks. Really the biggest differences are package managers and desktop environments. Cinnamon (the Mint DE) is super close to Windows, and if you know Windows hotkeys, you'll be right at home in Cinnamon, regardless of district you run.

But good luck, dude! The /flt/ should help if you get stuck, though lately it seems like they've gotten pretty cancerous...

Honestly the distro doesn't matter that much as long as it isn't something super obscure with some odditites. Debian/Ubuntu -based, Fedora-based and Arch-based should all be good, you'll have plenty of documentation and forum threads to find if you encounter problems or need a tutorial.

And frankly: if someone is going distro hopping, they're probably going to try out the major "branches" of distributions anyway and figure out which suits their use.

Try out Fedora, too. And keep in mind that DE:s can be switched, so if you like a package manager but would prefer something other than the default DE, that is usually trivial to switch in the major distributions (you just pick the DE to use in the log in screen, then).

So one good way to try different DE:s: install a major distro in your VM, install all the major DE:s and maybe even a wm, just dick around for a moment with them.

Stop implying that a distro is a DE
You can make any distro look any way you like. Just get Debian with KDE and be done with it. It will just werk and it doesn't matter if its bloat because its the current year

I second this. I used Arch for over 6 years and last year I decided to distro hop a little out of boredom. When I came to terms that most distros are shit one way or another I decided to install Manjaro because I was not in the mood of setting Arch again and I was pleasantly surprised. I've always thought that installing derivatives was gay as shit but it's actually what I was looking for: rolling-release, pacman based, not autistic, comfy

Bloat is bloat, no excuses

Try fedora, heard it's good

Install Debian, idiot.

just install arch and use what ever desktop you like

>Install Debian
Why install a bad OS like Debian when you have arch?

>implying debian itself isnt the best debian distro

Worst bait ever