/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is dedicated to horological engineering and appreciation.

/wt/ is a shitter free zone.

Required viewing:
ArchieLuxury on YouTube
Paul Pluta on YouTube

Other urls found in this thread:

treehut.co/products/tree-hut-wooden-bamboo-watch-nova
youtube.com/watch?v=dYBUP6hezKc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

450usd. Swiss movement (STP1-11, basically a clone of the eta 2824). Assembled in China.

Should I pull the trigger?

Archie is cancer.
Ninefag is cancer.

Why is it so hard for you to post the movement video and the strap pastebin

Ctrl-c
Ctrl-v

We're under siege by faggots who want to see these threads destroyed. See

>have a friend that is a watchmaker
>works at the factory that makes these watches in Switzerland
>get 80% discount on these watches
>paid around 130 Swiss Francs for this one

What do you guys think? I'm going to put a NATO band on it for daily use and keep the leather one that came with it for special occasions.

Excuse me, I'm the one expecting better standards.

how does /wt/ feel about oris?

Archie basically holds the same opinions as the autists who come here daily so he's more relevant too be honest.

>paid around 130 Swiss Francs for this one
Yes, the actual cost of a (((Swiss))) watch

Yet you actively make the threads worse.

Oh boy here we go.

Tell me then, what are some of the brands that you recommend?

That's fucking great but he doesn't explain mechanical movements to newbies or provide a list of strap types and manufacturers

I'm just saying that if they're giving them to employees for 80% off, that's probably very close to cost. That means the normal consumer is paying FIVE times what it's worth

I basically paid the price of the movement.

Well you know who to blame drawing negative attention to themselves purposefully.

Hi /wt/

Who else here SteiNATO? :^)

Petulant child

Says the guy that watches Archie

Project idea:
>obtain Waving Mao watch
>redial it to have the tipping meme gentlesir tip his fedora to me 21600 an hour in honor of my great taste in haut horlogerie
Should I build it?

Any anons with the cocktail time here?
Post pics please.
About to order one, is there any thing you dislike about the watch?

I don't like it, but if you do, sure.

Cute arm

Thx bby

Seriously though, don't know what the fuck it is, but my left arm is blotched in red with a lot less hair than my right. It's not immediately noticeable in person, but it annoys me.

I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned the lack of knuckles or how my thumb is.

Sounds fine, but I can't believe those were 400% more to begin with.
Is that a 2824?

I like them. They try pretty unique things.

Top springbar is uneven. So that's already a sign of the "quality" of these watches.
But for 130 Franks, who gives a damn, put the thing on ebay, double your money, still a bargain for the buyer if they're looking for that specific piece.

That would be funny

It didn't came with spring bars, I got these when I bought the NATO straps.

All I got was the watch plus a leather band.

Every watch is like that.

I got friends that work for ETA, they get expensive watches for less than half of the price people pay at watch stores.

Literally the only respectable ETA-based brand.

The second they make more in-house movements (they have only one in-house dress watch so far) is the second I buy one of their super cool watches. They're like the Rolex of shitters.

Archie sort of likes them too so that's a point.

I am considering this because it seems like a more affordable Master Control date, with a different dial layout.

it has a modified sw-200 and its about 400$, doesn't seem too bad compared to hamilton, tossit and other low end swiss.

They do have an inhouse movement for higher money ofc

You are dumb.

ETA brands are all the same, it's only the design that changes.

>a watch is only its movement
>materials, case, and yes design fon't matter
>you can't modify an eta or sellita to be superior to an off the shelf movement

Why do people keep posting this faggot he looks like a pig

with horns

One infected horn on the side of his face

it's two horns unless the one horn goes all the way through his head

You got 2 bags of twinkies on your desk?

m8

Is this place good for more wood based watches or no cause I was looking at this watch

treehut.co/products/tree-hut-wooden-bamboo-watch-nova

Not a fan of the way they made the date, but other than that it's a nice watch. Sector dials are cool.

Wood is a terrible material to use for a watch. Only shit watches use wood.

Literally the same watches are on Aliexpress for 1/4th the price.

Does this style have a specific name? Like bauhaus but with metallic indexes.

>ETA brands are all the same, it's only the design that changes.

Not really. For one Oris is privately owned and they actually put effort into their watches. Furthermore they're starting to go in house with movements and they aren't just making bare minimum shitter movements but are actually designing these things to have features like 10 day power reserves. They also don't pretend to be something they're not and keep their marketing straightforward, and don't make any tasteless shit like cheapo quartz watches or "homages" of Rolex, instead coming up with their own (very nice) original designs. They also invest in R&D and have invented new complications like a mechanical depth gauge for their divers and a mechanical altimeter for their pilot's watches.

Meanwhile, at Swatch...

what's the thinkpad of /wt/

f91 dubya

How about automatic ones

Late 50's, early 60's I guess?

Nice SARB homage m9.

>Buying that piece of shit
>When you could have gotten an Ocean One Titanium with an ETA 2892-A2 Top Grade
Congratulations, you cucked yourself.

Snk809

Literally /r/watches favourite watch

No, that would be the Omega Speedmaster Professional Man On The Moon

Here's another one that I bought.

It has a Valjoux 7751 movement. Paid a bit more for this one though.

What do you guys think of it?

By the way, when should one do a servicing of the watches that you own? How much does it cost to service an average ETA movement?

Not as far as I know but that simple case shape with baton indices and dauphine hands was very common in the 1950s and 1960s.

>Assembled in China
If you like burning up money, go for it

Hideous, hope you got a great deal on it. servicing the 2824-2 shouldn't be too bad as long as you find a reputable independent watchmaker. The 7751 will be a lot more expensive to service.

>wasn't finished reading the last thread
>thread gone, no mention of previous in new one

Today my Seiko 5 Actus 6106-8660 arrived, so I now have both a Suwa and a Daini 5 Actus, both from 1975. Also arrived is a Citizen Cosmotron 7803 electromechanical watch, that will be running at delicious 36000bph once I get it working. Seconds hand sweep will be like on an old 18000bph watch though due to the way these movements work.

Customs kinda raped me, but still overall I'm happy with what I got.

Cool

The Cucktus forums are found on reddit

Archive

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Suwa and Daini 5s.

Should I buy a vintage omega seamaster for £250 just to have a Swiss luxury watch.

If it's not a frankenwatch, it's in decent condition, and it has a 56x or 75x movement, then yes.

They're both unserviced, so I'll only give my initial impressions:
Suwa 6106:
>hacking
>the more aesthetic movement
>kinda awkward two stage day-date quickset
>suffers from excessive wear on the unjeweled barrel arbor bearing
>6100 family extinct from the Seiko lineup
Daini 7019
>no hacking, don't know yet if it can be retrofitted
>less attractive movement due to being better optimized for mass movement (think 7S26, this is its ancestor)
>better quickset mechanism
>the better movement overall
Externally they're about the same quality, maybe the Daini being a bit better, even though it has a snap-on caseback. But these are just two examples of the kinda large 5 Actus model lineup.

I've already spammed my Daini one, so here's the sellers pic of the Suwa. The fish-eye effect really distorts it, but it has that typical Seiko "grammar of design" case and lug shape.

midcentury dress?

Anyway here's the Daini too. I just took it apart today preparing it for cleaning. Don't know if I'll ever get a replacement crystal though (at least for a sane price), these are domed on the inside.

youre just fat

People give me a lot of compliments on it. I'm quick to tell them that I like it because it looks much nicer than it is. They don't realize I'm really talking about myself.

I'd really like a Philippe Patek or one of those watches with the continuous secondhand. Where do people get good knockoffs?

oh shit actually though? never used aliexpress

Case shape is pretty similar to the Daini 5245/6 King Seiko case shape which was also used on LM Specials.

Can't say I'm surprised to hear the Daini movement design has held up better. It follows the usual pattern.

I bought this about 9 months ago. I just loved the look of it.
And at that point, the Ocean Titanium wasn't available for me.

What I don't get is that the 6106 has four more jewels than the 7019, but the barrel arbor pivot is metal on metal. Where did all the jewels go?

I'll find out when I start servicing that one too, but I can already tell, that it's construction is more elaborate and mechanically complex, therefore I'll agree what is usually said, that it's the worse of the two in being mass-produced entry-level movements.

Also I just found out writing this that the four extra jewels are just there for the date-wheel to slide on top of them. I'd expect this on a Rolex or similar, not an entry-level movement.

>Case shape is pretty similar to the Daini 5245/6 King Seiko case shape which was also used on LM Specials.
I'd say by looking at it irl, that it's kinda like a cheap, simplified 45KS, only a bit thinner on the lugs. That pic really distorts the shape of the case. See this pic of the same 8660 case.

>tfw strap is either too tight or too lose
>tfw free watch that looks pretty good but is some shitty quartz from some weird unknown brand
>tfw live in Switzerland but can't afford a good, proper Swiss watch

Archie succumbs to the greatness of the Chronomètre Bleu

youtube.com/watch?v=dYBUP6hezKc

I'm gonna join the RAF so I can get a free watch.

You don't value your time too highly

>sign your life away for a pulsar
Alrighty then

You must be really poor if you can't afford even a Pulsar. Our pilots get Fortis, and Heuer before that.

JAH RAS TAFARI

EVER LIVING

KING OF KINGS

Does anyone know if there are any watches that take advantage of Jade and don't look like gaudy jewelry shit

My assumption would be that the 6106 has those jewels because the 61xx was used as a basis for a bunch of different tiers of movements. Suwa made a crap ton of variants of the 61xx and 62xx movements and used them in wildly different price categories.

With that pic I see the 45KS resemblance a lot more. If you're interested, at some point I'm going to be getting rid of a 5206-6061 that has a serviced movement but the automatic winding is not very efficient. Since you are actually watchmaker I'll cut you a great deal on it plus a free spare 52xx movement so you can dick around with it and see if you can fix the automatic winding with parts from the donor.

Pic related is what the 5206-6061 looks like.

I'm sure you can find one in new mexico

At some point, maybe. Right now I'm absolutely full of watches, I should start selling one or two slavshits soon.

>Does anyone know if there are any watches that take advantage of Jade
Yes.

>and don't look like gaudy jewelry shit
No.

Not him but it's not sold to civilians so they're £400-500 used for a quartz seiko shitter.

which air force?

Hungarian Air Force. Heuer Montreal was issued in the commie times from some time in the 70's, and Fortis since 1990. Honestly I don't know if Fortis is still the standard issue but from the pics it looks like pilots wear 7750 chronos.

Meant for

> watch issued to Chinese pilots breaks with vigorous clspping

The only problem with issuing Valjoux 7750 powered chronographs to air force pilots is that the chronograph function works like shit under high g-loads on the V7750 because it's indirectly driven.

The Lemania 5100 was far preferable for that application as it had a directly driven chronograph second hand that withstood high g-forces much better. Too bad the greedy bastards at the Swatch Group killed the L5100.

On the subject of vintage Seiko's with grammar of design styling, I haven't worn my 52 KS Special in a while.

This thing has the best amplitude I've ever seen on a vintage Seiko. ~280-300 dial up.

How would you operate a plane and a chronograph at high g forces?

Not to be a buzzkill, but how would quartz chrono not be superior for a pilot?

Automatic pilot chronos are more of a status symbol for fighter pilots than actual gear. But I'd guess quartz movements having lower torque than mechanicals might be a problem.

>start chronograph
>undergo high g forces
>???
>profit