Sup Forums thinks its still 2014 when you mention KDE Plasma to them

>Sup Forums thinks its still 2014 when you mention KDE Plasma to them

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j1I63wGcvU4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>its still 2014
You wish. Plasma is even worse now.

Well at least put some effort into that bait instead of just claiming its even worese.

because the enly experience they had with KDE was Kubuntu, which is the worst kde distro ever made

I wish KDE worked well without a good graphics card with good drivers. I'm a poorfag using an ancient laptop. Why do Aero and Metro from Microsoft work flawlessly even on old hardware but not KDE, Unity or Gnome 3.0?

I mean, I guess Mate isn't bad either, but still.

Pretty much what I came here to say.

Why did GNOME and KDE both abandon two functional desktop environments for memery?

Because open source developers are fucking idiots who treat the FOSS environment like a playground.

Gnome and Unity does work to some extent (although you should really stick to xfce of lxde on low end machines).
KDE just crashes and burns.

Honest to god , never had any issues on Manjaro KDE

I know what you mean. How did we get to the point where the advice for old machines has become "install Windows"?

DELET THIS

Me either user, me either. Even on old hardware. Your shit is misconfigured if KDE is choking before something like Cinnamon does.

Plasma and XFCE are the only DEs worth using, prove me wrong

I cant , I totally support this.
Worst being GUHNOME and Unity

What's your opinion of lxqt?

It is worse, though.
I use KDE neon myself for a distro; every other Linux DE is garbage. But KDE isn't that far ahead and it only gets worse.
Compared to Windows 10's DE, KDE feels amateurish. Compared macOS DEs, KDE is a joke.

not usable yet.

Looks like shit but if you really can't use anything else then go ahead

Plasma is the only DE that actually looks good and usable out of the box, Gnome is a trainwreck if you don't rice it and XFCE is functional but ugly. Mate, Unity and Cinnamon aren't worth mentioning

If you're at that level of having to save resources you'd be better to just drop right down to just a WM.

Sup Forums still thinks it's still 2014 when Lumina is mentioned.

It's been 3 years and Lumina isn't shit anymore, it's actually quite comfy.

"Install Windows" has been my go-to for Pentium 3 and Pentium 4s for around 5 years now. Expectedly, every new Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora/etc release is heavier than the previous one, but an RTM XP install will always run more or less the same.

Here's your (You)
I really don't understand what you mean, I use Plasma and W10 every day

I know what you mean. What's really disgusting is that XFCE is now just as heavy as the DE's it was supposed to be a lighter alternative to. I don't know what the Linux devs are fucking doing but it drives me mad.

Even with XFCE my laptop's fans are almost always on (they turn off occasionally, so the controller works), but on Windows 7 with desktop effects the fan only comes on at all when loading heavy web pages.

What happened to when even the "heavy" Gnome 2 and KDE 3 were faster than even Windows XP?

What happened was that "shitty useless laptop" now means something along the lines of a Core 2 Duo or something. Back then "shitty useless laptop" would have a hard time even starting up XP. Since Low-end PCs now are a bit better than back then, lightweight DEs can afford to be a bit heavier, with the sad result that Linux won't run smoothly on P3s or P4s now and you have to use old versions or go full wizard and compile some old version of MATE.

>decoupling the components and axing bloated unmaintained software equates to making it worse
Pleb detected

Back when Plasma was released it had a bug on my machine where the DE crashed every 15 seconds or so, making it unusable.
Tried using KDE Neon last month and it still had that same bug.

KDE used to be my favorite DE before Plasma was released. Now I can't use it even if I wanted to.

That would be fine though if there had actually been any improvement or added features (that were wanted) over that time. As far as I can see, despite the bloated interfaces it's all the same as back then, and there's still actual important issues that they didn't solve despite throwing up new versions of old software that would still be viable with some smart updating.

You should configure it to do less then. I was running it on a dual core 2GHz processor with 2GB RAM and had no problems.

>i3 on laptop
>xfce on desktop

Why bother with anything else?

Can you link to the bug report? Im not a KDE dev, but would be willing to look at it.

>KDE

bug ridden crap

i feel like fag but can you recommend the starting config for i3? I want to try to use it but currently shit with time to learn all the stuff

>Lumina

cancer

I just use the default config (generated for you when you first start i3) with a few keybind tweaks (like moving dmenu from Super+d to Super+p), it works very well.

All your config files will be in ./.config

Defaults are plenty fine to learn on. Not him, but I mainly changed bindings to have hjkl for movement instead of jkl;. Mainly involved changing mod-h for horizonital split to mod-c, which is next to mod-v for vertical so it still feels pretty natural. It can seem complicated at first, and worse than that, you may ignore a lot of nice features if you just stick it in dry.

Watch this video: youtube.com/watch?v=j1I63wGcvU4

Maybe even start i3 and then watch the video in i3 and try out stuff as he's mentioning it so you remember it better.

More like XFCE on laptops and Plasma on desktops, it's 2017,it's time to upgrade from Core 2 Duo with 512 MB RAM

>(like moving dmenu from Super+d to Super+p)
why? then you're needing two hands or to use your right hand for it. seems odd

Would be happy to share it, but I don't have it anymore.

You don't use i3 because you have shit specs, you use it because it's legitimately better.

Thanks.
I dont see it here but does i3 allows you to maximize/minimize windows with mouse as well from a panel?

i3 doesn't show open windows in the panel, also there is no minimizing, really. Not really maximizing even. You can make windows floating and then they're above tiling windows, and you can resize them or fullscreen a single window. You can also move a window to a new workspace if it needs a lot of space, like a browser might.

Thanks for that info user, so its basically everything done with keyboard. Hard at beginning to used to but paying off in the long run

I prefer a keyboard-based interface over a mouse-based one when I have to use a trackpad, that's all.

Using the same hand for key combos triggers my autism, and my keyboard only has a windows key on the left-hand side, so I try to move all my main window management keys to the right-hand side.

You can "stack" windows on top of each other to effectively minimize them, but you don't really need to do that with i3 since you can make a new workspace anytime.

Indeed. Huge focus on keyboard. The mouse can be used to switch workspaces by clicking on them or scrolling to move between them, and there is also lazy-focus where the window below your mouse will focus if you're moving your mouse. For the most part, you should stick to keyboard stuff, though.

Because they Sucked, and you are just saying they are bad because you hate change oldfag

Sorry forgot to ask is there a main menu button for launching all your programs or you do that with keyboard as well with typing after invoking some kind of program-launcher-search

you can use "dmenu" for that.
debian and ubuntu have it in a package called "suckless-tools".

It's Mod+d by default in i3, and it opens a small bar on the top of the screen where you can type and narrow down your command.

Thank you user very much for everything

dmenu can be replaced with whatever launcher you like, e.g. rofi, gnome do, synapse, whatever...

Good to know.

Yeah.
We are at this stage where shitty old laptops can run xp crisply, and decent crappy laptops can run windows 10, which has been debloated to make it run on phones and shit.