Unpopular messaging platforms thread

Has anyone used any of the following programs? What were your impressions? Is there any point in using them?

crypto.cat/

riot.im/

coy.im/

ricochet.im/

Other urls found in this thread:

jitsi.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I know cryptocat had some gaping security holes in it but I think the dev rewrote the app, not sure how secure it is now.

I've heard riot is a pretty good oss alternative to slack. Never heard of or used the other two.

Ricochet seems like a cool idea, I might try it out.

Does no one here have any opinions on things unless it's an Apple/Android or Intel/AMD bait thread?

I used matix (riot) and really liked it. The ui is pretty nice and it supports inline images. The only thing was that riot seemed to be the only good app for that protocol.

Right now i'm using a self hosted xmpp server for just me and my friends but I would be interested in other alternatives. Xmpp does not have great web clients and you cant sync chat history.

No, like every other board we like to fancy ourselves patrician in this pleb-patrician dichotomy we created, but it's all make believe.

how about jitsi.org

how is its crypto? it seems to be a larger project than cryptocat, does it mean it's had better auditing and is more secure?

Thanks user. Was there something that you disliked about the Riot app?

This is a pretty good summation of the state of Sup Forums.

That website looks awful.

ricochet is pure trash desu

Why?

Wire master race.

Wire is probably a bit too popular to be included in this thread desu senpai.

Roit web and phone app are fine but the desktop app is just a wrapper for the web app which i didnt like.

Ah I see, that does indeed suck.

Really? Who uses it?

Maybe I'm wrong but a few of my contacts use use it, certainly more than Signal.

i read recently ricochet passed an audit, so i guess that's good. i think i tried riot once but it was an atom wrapper so i just deleted it. never used the other ones. plus i have no contacts to write to, so...

But sure, lets add Wire to this thread too then. Along with Signal.

Wire is always brought up as a good cross platform messenger.

Look into Message Carbons for syncing chat history. It's an XEP that's in Conversations and some other popular clients.

Nobody of the normies I am in contact with is interested in or uses something besides fb/wa/etc.

What I read about riot looks promising and would try it more if some of my usual contacts would join.

cryptocat had horrendous desynching issues when my friends last tried it. inevitably one person would be unable to receive messages from anyone else. they'd think the room was just dead the whole time, but we'd be able to see them freaking out. it was no good for group chat. as far as i could tell this issue never arose with 1v1 conversations

Interesting. How long ago was this? I know cryptocat was pretty much rewritten and rereleased earlier this year.

Riot is pretty nice.

I've never even heard of CoyIM. Anyone use it before?

And is ricochet just chat over tor?

As said already, XMPP with conversations on android or gajim on gnu/Linux is golden. Omemo encryption and a server which supports the latest xeps and the only thing you're missing is voice calling :/

crypto.cat was buggy shit written by a kid. A forgettable pioneer in user-friendly chat.
Riot.im is quite nice desu, works well on Android
coy.im I've never heard of, but XMPP is useless and bloated for today's needs
ricochet sounds potentially useful for some things, but I'm probably not going to try it

Using riot on self hosted server, works well on mobile and web but the server is fat as fuck. Barely enough ram for it on my rpi2.

Cryptocat is literally shit.

It allows Remote Code Execution upon any that uses it, that's why it was rewrote.

Many people became infected just after their ip's were scraped while using it and trojans remotely installed

riot is great man

What's the verdict on cryptocat since it was rewritten? I know the dev got a ton of shit for the bugs present in the previous version but he seemed to address the criticism fairly transparently.

>but XMPP is useless and bloated for today's needs
Why do you say this?

Jesus, isn't the guy who wrote cryptocat in grad school or something?

>And is ricochet just chat over tor?
I believe so.

RIcochet (secure / tor relay) / Jabber - XMPP (Crypted with OTR) use that