ITT: Ask someone working IT in the car/vehicle industry anything

ITT: Ask someone working IT in the car/vehicle industry anything

I worked in manufacturing car parts for half a year before going to uni (not related to anything automotive)

what kind of work do you do?

Is it true using a bunch of capacitors instead of a regular car battery will fuck up your alternator in some way?

What do they cheap out on

I (gladly) had the oppertunity to work in may fields relating to vehicles. Worked on the next generation of automatic parking systems (especially the sensors, some of my work is featured in current cars) and am now working in the research sector for autonomous driving

Everything

Are you Bridish?

Why don't they sell cars without all that infotainment garbage?
It easily adds $5000 to the price of a car and I don't want it.

Which country, which manufacturer?
How did you get into IT and your current position?
How much free time do you have on the job? Much downtime? How often does it get stressful?

German
You just sated the reason.
Tbh the best thing is to buy used cars. There are almost any other assets which loose their value as fast as new cars

How do I connect to the canbus?

Germany, Bosch
I apllied for a 'corporate studies' program, got accepted almost immidialy, german companies crave people willing to go into IT.

Thanks to our unions we enjoy a pretty nice work environment (althoug they now a days do mostly shit, but that is a topic for Sup Forums, not Sup Forums)
I know many people who have +100h in their account, but get to spend them (or are forced to spend them) on free time. You are also able to get the extra hours paied. It's extremly flexible.

I have a lot of freetime currently, most of the time (when you work fast) you wait for the results of other departments, so i spend most of my time at work on Sup Forums and /k/. It gets more stressful the close you get to the deadline

>German
How many kilometers per Jew does one of those things get?

Do the cars smell like exhaust fumes in production/repair?
Do you get sic/tired of the smell, or even repelled by it?

With the right connector. CAN is an open standard, and a pretty easy one. AFAIK there are many open source libraries to read and write to the can bus.
Most of the can IDs are public aswell (through some car related forums which did the research)

Not enough

I mainly work in development, not maintencance. I worked in may unvaroable situations (doing testing next to the fleet garage) environments, and yet i have never been repelled by the smell of fumes or any other vehicle liquid. I am still a developer not an engineer.

may = many*

bump

It's an option
>related question
unless it's standard (which it's not, outside of most luxury cars), why is navigation still a $2,000+ option?

>2nd question
regarding the trend for, angular look exhaust "tips", why the ones on a Mercedes some silly hole in the bumper that's not connected, like some kind of afterthought, but, a Hyundai, lets say, will actually have the pseudo exhaust tip attached?

Is ptp really needed there or us it just more fucking industrial must have the best bullshit. Your from from ICS

Why don't you work for Tesla, Hitler?

Why did Ford stop making a hybrid Escape?

ceramizers for cars 10+ years old

Will Tesla stock ever get back down to the $200 range?

Do you have any hope of moving beyond tier 1? Does your company even have tiers?

Is hyundai designed for pajeets?

is the plan to make driving regular cars highly inconvenient so we are forced into autonomous vehicles making the undesirables easier to kill and hindering our ability to move about quickly and freely?

Is Charlie Miller gonna ruin cars or save them from themselves?