I'm thinking of throwing this into a VM and screwing around

I'm thinking of throwing this into a VM and screwing around

Anybody every play with it before?

For the uninformed, it's North Korea's own flavor of Linux.
To give you an idea, root / sudo are disabled by default

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_OS

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/takeshixx/redstar-tools
crispyappstudiosblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/changing-the-language-in-north-koreas-red-star-os-v2-5-to-3-0-and-server/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Whats the point if its in korean

It's actually widely used to learn how to exploit and find vulnerabilities because it's so insecure. It has uses.

github.com/takeshixx/redstar-tools

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>root / sudo are disabled by default

no theyre not. if you actually watched the talk on it or fucked with it youd find out that this isnt true, but thats the interesting bit

crispyappstudiosblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/changing-the-language-in-north-koreas-red-star-os-v2-5-to-3-0-and-server/

ayy lmao

>distro made by north koreans has a better theme than all other distros
Really makes you think

It takes a murderous communist regime to make a somewhat good looking Linux desktop, huh?

>better theme
its just mac os clone

What's the file browser? I want a file browser with that column view that's not a vim like terminal only file browser (ranger) or deprecated as a fuck (some old ass version of dolphin or maybe it was a different somewhat common file browser idk)

use midnight commander (or far manager if youre on windoze)

go to north korea and tell them that

Miller columns, not side by side view.

>tfw thrown into a prison camp for interjecting for only a moment

That is fucking fascinating. Funny to see FOSS being used at the basis of the official spyware OS of the most oppressive state on the planet.

I think Redstar OS uses KDE, so try dolphin. Can't test from here but i looked up screenshots and it looks possible.

Lots of the commie countries advocate for GNU/Linux. Remember when everyone was having a laugh about Russia using type writers for government documents?

This. But they did a decent job

반갑습니다! 나는 단지 한 순간을 보내고 싶다. 당신이 혁명적 인 리눅스라고 부르는 것은 사실 GNU / Linux입니다. 또는 제가 최근에 혁명적 인 GNU와 Juche Linux를 부른 것입니다. 리눅스는 그 자체로 운영체제가 아니라 GNU 코어 라이브러리, 쉘 유틸리티 및 POSIX에 정의 된 전체 운영 체제를 포함하는 작업자의 혁명적 권리에 유용하게 활용되는 완전히 기능하는 민주주의 사회주의 GNU 시스템의 또 다른 무료 구성 요소입니다.

didn't they do a ccc presentation on this?

>Its Botnet

If the user tries to disable security functions, the operating system may restart or destroy itself. In addition, a watermarking tool is integrated into the system, which marks all media content with the user's hard drive serial number. This makes it possible for the North Korean authority to trace the spread of files. The system also has a hidden "anti-virus" software that is capable of removing censored files that are remotely stored by the North Korean secret service.

A friend of mine uses it for highly critical applications that really shouldn't get into the hands of the West