When will floppy disks make a comeback?

When will floppy disks make a comeback?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8IZcP0oP0OU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes

Where is Romero's signature?

why would they even?

out dated tech is one possible solution to the trusting trust problem. If I had data that I absolutely needed to be secure I'd use old hardware with heavy encryption.

When audio compression is good enough to cram a whole album in 1.44mb

Why did these?

why not just use a zip drive?

one day zip drives will overthrow floppy disks as the vintage media of choice. They're obviously superior.

You do realize floppies are fragile as fuck?

Not as fragile as CDs/DVDs since there actually is a proper way to handle them.

They still use it for industrial machines.

I mean just a fridge magnet or a very small EM pulse can fry them.
They also typically don't last long in sub-optimal conditions for less than a month

well that technology would have to be stable... like old floppies were good, but as they became more chink-tier (like towards the end of floppy time) they were disgustingly unreliable.

this desu. I use a ZIP for my retro battlestation. can't upgrade the hard drive so i just use ZIPs because 1 disk is literally 1/3 my drive. plus i could connect them to newer computers to transfer shit over (well relatively new, has to have a parallel port, but i have an XP box laying around that can do that so i can do DOS ZIPUSB if i care)

Not really a good thing, the reason they use it is because literally all those machines are old PCs or similar

Great quality + that vinyl sound. By great quality i mean like all modern records sound beautiful, i'd really say On par with (if not better than) CD *i have cheap equipment so i can't autistically say that it's better than CD, but it's got that nice "warm" feel* Although i think there was a point made that effectively Vinyl > CDs because Vinyls are made from the studio masters which are potentially 192kHz/24 bit or something crazy like that and since CDs can't hold that data you need to have 44.1kHz/16 bit. Is the difference totally noticeable? considering the impact that the variety of hardware has, idk...

Also it's nice to have an ultra physical copy of something. something about it feels good.

BBSes have a better chance of coming back desu

Floppies are well known to just stop working at the drop of a hat.

I have 5.25 floppies that are 30 years old that still hold data.

Blind nostalgia and belief that scratch vibration (a defect of the manufacturing) is somehow part of the music and makes it better.

But the reason it's still viable to use is the quality is fine still, same with filming movies on film. 35mm looks fine even today.

Floppies are a shit format and 1.44MB isn't floating anywhere today.

>i'd really say On par with (if not better than) CD

It takes massive brain trauma (nostalgia is a form of it) to believe scratched PVC is anywhere near capable of reproducing the musical instruments as intended/as they sound in recording versus a format that can store and playback every audible sound frequency in existence.

>When audio compression is good enough to cram a whole album in 1.44mb

Considering consumer audio quality standards are one of the few mediums that have managed to go down and down with time; from analog format, to digital WAV on disc to more and more compressed MP3s, 128kbps free Spotify and now people who stream their music entirely from 360p youtube videos. I'd say there is a good chance in 5 years the typical album available online will manage to be so low bitrate and shitty that it could fit on a floppy.

Some kinds of music genuinely sound better with the added slight distortion of the record. How it sounds usually comes down the the record player anyway

noise wars ruined CDs but don't work on records

I'd rather data get destroyed than stolen

When they are filled with holographic media for 16K hologram display and Xbox Omega and Playstation 12 games and Gigabit per second is still the best Internet infrastructure we have because the telecoms the world over haven't updated their infrastructure despite record profits thanks to the end of net neutrality and no government spending to improve connection speeds which leaves us in a position of the late 80s early 90s where the content was massive in size relative to our Internet speeds.

Hopefully fucking never.
I understand having 120 and 250mb was fucking insane then, but holy shit they're just as bad if not worse than floppies.
>not use them in a month.
>everything is lost.
>I once literary dropped one on the ground.
>everything is lost.

How does just putting it on a fucking disc change anything?

old analog medium are hard to compare with digital shit
old digital storage medium age like milk

also optical are going the way of the floppy since solid state memory is getting cheaper and cheaper and some fags prefer streaming/download

That's not an inherent problem of streaming or downloading, it's a problem of compression.

There is no difference between having a song on a CD or streaming/downloading a full disc WAV of it, it's identical. The same could technically go for a movie bluray versus streaming the BDMV or downloading it.

The problem comes when they are streaming/downloading versions that are not identical to the physical releases and compressed to shit (Ever seen those 1.45GB 4K rips? Hilarious). When I download a movie it's almost always a 30GB+ remux because there's no reason to lower the standards of quality compared to what I bought physically 6 years ago.

But you have people downloading 2GB 1080p rips and 128kbps MP3s.

I love the feeling you would get when inserting one

youtube.com/watch?v=8IZcP0oP0OU
Maybe, if it was this.

That's some retarded shit. It has nothing to do with bit or sampling rate. Vinyl can't be overcompressed like a cd because the needle will jump grooves. We were supposed get a lower noise floor and more dynamics out of 're but loudness war killed that. Albums are more dynamic musicly and less compressed. People bitch about analog distortion which creates nice harmonics but digital distortion from hyper limiting is far worse and real. It clips the Soundwave

I use them to backup irc logs.

If you leave them out on your coffee table people will think they're just coasters.

Honestly, probably never.

I want line/matrix printers to come back though. Those things are ace.

>i mean like all modern records sound beautiful

Modern production of music sounds atrocious. What are you fucking on? This isn't about the bitrate, but the actual sound is trash.

unlike tiny CDs in shitty little jewel cases that break they're actually worth paying for if you're going to buy music, since they're nice for display and actually tangible
I don't understand this meme, I have a few disks last written in 1998 that still read fine and I regularly use these things my older shitboxes, they're great

Do you use them Everyday?

Most a e s t h e t i c tech

>I want line/matrix printers to come back though. Those things are ace.
Come back? They never left

Semi related note, what games can i stick on a 1.44mb floppy disk?
ive got an old ass laptop i want to put to some use, really test what its capable of

Pretty much.