Bought this piece of shit

>Bought this piece of shit
>Spent over a month learning the ins and outs of it because it's relatively "new"
>Client doesn't communicate with me, doesn't pay either, rumor has it they're bankrupt
>Wasted over 100 hours getting this shit to work because most of the parts were refurb and had to be RMAd or warrantied
>Client was too cheap to buy new and wanted to save every penny
>Currently stuck with it

It's a $15,000 piece of shit server. What should I do with it? I was thinking of running a Minecraft server and making money off of it like that one autist that was on here. It's got two 14-core CPUs and 512GB of memory, which Amazon usually charges like $2000 a month for.

Yes, I'm also the user that bought 60TB of hard drives. This month has been a bad month for me. I'm just going to start forcing companies to put deposits now, even though this has only happened like 3 times in 4 years. Now I know why some companies charge $200 an hour which I now think isn't too obscene anymore.

I was speaking with an electrician who came in to service the UPS in our comms room, they had just been through a really bad situation where they had just completed fitting new generators, UPS and batteries into a hospital and the hospital was fucking shut down.

They had to claim off their insurance because they were owed something like $500k on the equipment alone not even factoring in the months of work they put into it.

OP just sell the fucking server, cut your losses. Do you really want to spend the time/effort in setting it up for hosting and then leasing it out or moderating whatever shithead community you invite onto it through the video-games.

Put a hypervisor on it and rent out VPSs.

Also what is there to learn in a fucking poweredge lmao are you new at this

>Do you really want to spend the time/effort in setting it up for hosting and then leasing it out or moderating whatever shithead community you invite onto it through the video-games.

Yes, yes I kind of do because I enjoy being a god. But you make a great point.

Why the fuck are you spending so much money? Holy fuck, you're retarded. I hope you fucking go bankrupt.

It's part of the business you dumb nigger. Like what said, some companies lose a fuckton more.

BUT WHY DO YOU NEED TO PURCHASE IT? You fucking buy things that you have no use/need for and then come on here asking us what to do. You could have bought a new car or put a down payment on a home but no you wasted it on some useless shit.

Sounds like OP was contracted to purchase and set up the server for a client which they would have then invoiced. Try to keep up

>Sounds like OP was contracted to purchase and set up the server for a client which they would have then invoiced
>Bought this piece of shit
> I was thinking of running a Minecraft server and making money off of it like that one autist that was on here

>Client doesn't communicate with me, doesn't pay either, rumor has it they're bankrupt
>Wasted over 100 hours getting this shit to work because most of the parts were refurb and had to be RMAd or warrantied
>Client was too cheap to buy new and wanted to save every penny
>Currently stuck with it

I see. Same thing happen with the hard drives?

Your business can't take a 15000 loss?
I guess you should have been more careful with expenses then.

Yes, but that one was sort of my fault.

It can. Still lies the question on what should I do with it?

Sorry. I thought you were the one wasting your money on it.

>>Wasted over 100 hours getting this shit to work because most of the parts were refurb and had to be RMAd or warrantied
>>Client was too cheap to buy new and wanted to save every penny
The fuck are you doing?

Do you need cash yesterday? Sell that shit off. Hit reduction famalam. Otherwise, cloud landlord that shit.

shove it up your ass.

You really don't want to know. The vendor that sold some of the components to me kept sending me garbage. I think I did 6 RMAs with the various parts.

The other half was figuring out redhat linux, which I used to have someone do for me, but he wasn't available for weeks so I had to figure that shit out myself. It literally took me ALL DAY to fucking connect it to wifi. Yes, the sever needed wifi because of the clients building, hence why they wanted this machine and not something larger.

lelelele no wonder those niggas went broke

>It's got two 14-core CPUs and 512GB of memory
If you want to make a Minecraft server company, follow these steps.
>Buy website template and edit it to make a "professional" site
>Purchase WHMCS licence (monthly)
>Buy multicraft liscence (monthly)
>Run multicraft installer ate set max ram
>Set up WHMCS
>Packages are measured in amount of ram
>mc kids don't give a shit about cpu, only ram
>Markup per GB is pretty high so you can advertise yourself as a "budget" option
>a lot of mc kids just try to get the best $ / GB of ram
>make sure server jar wise that you offer latest versions of vanilla, vanilla snapshot, and spigot (most can be auto updated from the control panel)
>Deal with autistic report tickets
>MC related: tell them to btfo since it's not your job to configure their server
>Lag related: Check to see if some autists are using too much resources ate just turn off their server
>Presale related: sincerely reply
That should be most of it. Keep in mind that this half a decade out of date.
t. developer for one of the largest mc servers
t. 14 year old autist who set this all up for practically free while the owner got most of the profit

>t. 14 year old autist who set this all up for practically free while the owner got most of the profit

:thinking:

Tested one of these at work (demo device sent by dell). Was an uninteresting decently (not great) performing piece of mediocre bleh.

The first revision was crippled due to it having only one RAID card, which was a single point of failure. The web control was a pita amalgam of iDRAC and some lame blade control type shit. Drive performance was mediocre at best. Network control plane was crippled and restricted.

Decided not to recommend it to managers, haven't seen one since.

>demo device sent by dell

it's literally a terrible machine, which is why so many end up on ebay and they mostly sell overseas.

Interesting concept, but it's ahead of its time. Dell should revise it with m.2 support and maybe fit in graphics cards.

This sounds like a compilation of stupidity. Server with wifi? Why redhat if there was no competence? The RMAs I can grok but why set yourself up for all this trouble?

>doesn't pay either, rumor has it they're bankrupt
Take them to court.
Get a court order of payment.
If they don't pay, get the bailiffs, gut their offices (Assuming other bailiffs haven't already) to settle the debt.

Sorted.
Oh, and to top it off
>You keep the server at the end

can you run ANN and tensorflow stuff on it ? If so charge it a bit cheaper than amazon shills and other and invest a little for some kind of ad or diy one.

Fucking this.

>5 figure Server
>WiFi

You can rent it using siacoin.

Install Gentoo?

It sounds stupid, yes, after I look back at this now. Total miscommunication and incompetence on their part, but also my fault for letting it happen and not questioning any of it.

The enterprise grade wireless bridge which cost over $300 right there, had connections problems with their shit wifi setup. The server was supposed to be placed in a specific area underneath a desk which had no ethernet access. And no way was this cheapass company going to pay to have ethernet installed. Why they didn't put the server in the switch room while setting up a thin client in the desired area is beyond me. You're right though, my fault, I should've seen this one coming and the fault is on me for listening to stupid clients and their stupid ideas and not questioning them. I feel like such an idiot for trusting this company with promises of future work with them that got me to do this in the first place. Now I know why no one buys these things. It's pointless, unless it needs to be in an area offline, in a confined space (such as underneath a bed, or in a truck or car) I could understand, but the company retards threw a curveball at me in logic with the wireless crap after I was in the middle of working on it.

The linux part was not my job, but someone elses. Yet, I still ended up having to deal with it because of my ego and because the linux autist was out for 3 weeks.

>Install Gentoo
>Connecting it to wifi

ahah. I bet none of you gentoofags could get that accomplished on this server.

Yeah we've all done this. But the important thing is to just learn and move on. See the signs with the next customer, and make a clean exit before things go to shit.

Host Rebecca Black Tech so poor user doesn't get bullied by pirates from Sup Forums when his jerry rigged Optiplex goes down

You can also get a whole lot of cabling done for 300 dollars, which could have been a counter argument. Servers tend to use more than one nic, and you can't really do it with wireless (even if you're using separate channels, or whatever?). Still restricted bandwidth even in ideal conditions, and you are subject to interference, since the 2.4 G bands are pretty crowded, and 5 G's are getting there too.

It will take a very long time to make a return on a 15000$ investment with minecraft server hosting

Just give it to me

>Take them to court.
>Get a court order of payment.
wish it was like that in France
if a company goes bankrupt, its liability is limited to its capital (aka nothing most of the time, and you could ask : why would you trust a company with no capital ? but well, I have none either) and you're fucked

Already filing the forms for small claims court. I'm not even going to sue them for the server costs, it's just the labor and how I actually did set it up to their specifications, and that their idea of connecting it to wifi was fucking stupid.

this, learned a huge lesson here. hoping other anons read this and start making their better judgement on things, and not the ignorant client, despite having a long background in programming, is a complete moron when it came to hardware.

if it's wireless, it might be the perfect whistleblowing server

run an esx farm on it, that's what you have the modules for. each computing module can run an esx and you can use the drives as vsan datastore