/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-sub-auto
meatspin.fr/
youtu.be/bDxMJQLXmBE
askubuntu.com/questions/18078/what-is-the-difference-between-a-desktop-environment-and-a-window-manager
renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/
without-blue.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_blue
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how does portage compare to pacman?

history -c doesnt work inside a bash script, so is there another way I can cover my tracks that I can use INSIDE a bash script?

Manually typing is not an option

Shell scripts don't write to your history.

Maybe you are searching for:
rm "${HOME}/.bash_history"

I dont want to delete the file itself though, that would be obvious

no but I use wget to download the script, plus other commands I write show up after I exit

You can prefix a command with a space, that makes the history ignore the command.

reposting from last thread:
Yesterday I was asking for a lightweight linux version to run in Virtual Box. I had already tried Lubuntu and LXLE both failed because no pae and forcepae -- forcepae didn't help. An annon suggested puppy but the noPae version failed with "Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt". Any other Ideas or suggestions?

Does anyone know if there is a dual boot option in the antergos installer?

You can install LXDE on any distribution. Why do you people always assume that a desktop environment is a distribution?

Simply configure your boot loader.

arch + xfce is trully the best combo

I uh, I'm new to this. Please explain

GNU/Linux*

apt-get install lxde
pacman -S lxde
emerge lxde
/sbin/upgradepkg --install-new lxde*.t?z
dnf install lxde
zypper install lxde

GNU+Linux*

There's no reason to mention Linux.

You don't say "Windows/NT" or "Android/Linux" either. Just say GNU.

How do I have to name my subtitles for MPV to recognize multiple languages and so it can switch between them with the set shortcut?

hot-shemales.mp4
hot-shemales-en.srt
hot-shemales-ja.srt

Post magnet, famlam

Tried it, but no success.
It says subtitles no. It works if I rename the subtitile file to match the media file, but I can't switch languages that way.

try --sub-auto=fuzzy

Thanks, that did the trick.

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-sub-auto

You dont have to configure Dual Boot most of the Time. When the Grub Config is created it searches all the Hard Drives for Operating Systems

systemd*

Alright, thanks guys

How do i set keyboard layout in arch?
I need
en_US.utf8
sr_RS
sr_RS.utf8

this is what i get when i type locale -a and i need us, serbian latinic and serbian cyrillic letters

So I just installed my first Linux. What are some essencial things you do after a fresh install? How to turn off telemetry and stuff like that? I'm also searching for any good apps like antivirus, firewall, defragging, etc.

>How to turn off telemetry and stuff like that?
I don't think there is telemetry, is there?

Closest thing I can think of is Debian, when they ask during the install phase if you would like to volunteer in their (package) popularity contest.
And it's more for stats on what kind of packages are being used/popular, as the name implies.

I don't know if other distros have this as well.

everything well explained here: meatspin.fr/

If only there was an article on the Wiki explaining it.

you are talking about this?
# Read and parsed by systemd-localed. It's probably wise not to edit this file
# manually too freely.
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "system-keyboard"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
Option "XkbLayout" "en_US.utf8, sr_RS, sr_RS.utf8"
Option "XkbVariant" "alternatequotes,latinunicode,"
EndSection

this aint working

setxkbmap -layout us

Yes, that. You set it wrong, those aren't layouts. Learn how to use it or read the article properly.

man localectl

is it possible to write a shell script that installs gentoo?

I just infuckingstalled LXLE on my laptop because Windows 10 broke it (it just wouldn't boot up and it didn't have the Dell recovery image thing). Originally I downloaded LXLE for an older slower laptop but that one can't boot from a USB so for the hell of it I tried it on my newer laptop and it worked. Now I'm thinking I should have got a distro that isn't made specifically for old PCs like LXLE.

What are your thoughts on this and should I change distros?

does it werk? keep it
does it suck? switch

#!/bin/sh
sudo apt install gentoo -y && gentoo

Only idiots use pointless downstream distributions.
Pick one of the environments you like and then get the Ubuntu spin which offers it. I know Ubuntu can be considered downstream from Debian, but it's en exception in this case.
Once you familiarize yourself with it and you find yourself in a position that you need something else in terms of what makes up a distribution, consider switching then and only then. Do not switch for retarded reasons like "I like the looks of this".

epic meme

youtu.be/bDxMJQLXmBE

imagine you could have macOS user interface on a windows machine

you'd install everything on windows and everything would be windows, but you'd have a massive theme change, with safari instead of edge and what not; you'd be swapping windows' desktop environment for macOS'

a desktop environment is a collection of tools and software; in linux you can have installed different desktop environments in the same operative system installation

tl;dr google what you don't know

askubuntu.com/questions/18078/what-is-the-difference-between-a-desktop-environment-and-a-window-manager

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Google, is in fact, NSA/Google, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, NSA plus Google. Google is not an evil corporation unto itself, but rather another corporate component of a fully functioning NSA system made useful by the NSA PRISM project, Boundless Informant, and vital Bullrun backdoors comprising a full Ministry of Truth as exposed by Snowden.

Many computer users run a modified version of the NSA system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of NSA which is widely used today is often called “Google”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the NSA, developed by the NSA Project.

There really is a Google, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Google is the search engine, etc: the web apps in the system that direct the user's attention. The search engine is an essential part of an espionage system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete espionage system. Google is normally used in combination with the NSA espionage system: the whole system is basically NSA with Google added, or NSA/Google. All the so-called “Google” website is really the data collection frontend of NSA/Google.

GNU/Linux*

GNU-GNU/Linux*

see

I like this thread because whenever I want to seek advice here, I end up solving my problem before I finish writing the post.

So, thanks /flt/ for existing.

/fglt/*

Can dd be used to backup my whole disk (bootloader included) and recover it later?

How does lasagna compare to poop?

you tell me

I bet you guys have less then 2TB of swap.

Yes, but it's very inefficient. Make a copy of your files instead.

>Yes, but it's very inefficient.
In which way?

you'd be copying every bit, even the ones that don't store any information. unless your disk is 100% full, it's inefficient by definition.

It will clone the entire disk, including free space. Even if you have no files on it, your backup will be as big as your hard drive.

Is it possible to update to the latest GNOME 3.24 in Fedora 25? I'm on 3.22 but want 3.24 for the night light feature (redshift and other usual tools are broken on Wayland).

>having bold enabled

Possible.

Is installing the proprietary intel microcode package on Ubuntu necessary or recommended? What does it do?

>inb4 no proprietary whatsoever

I'm looking for max performance and stability, I already have the Nvidia drivers installed.

It injects unknown code into your cpu (botnet).

What are some cool terminal commands?

sudo rm -rf / is my personal favorite.

Should I upgrade my kubuntu 16.10 to 17.04?

I hate you.

>GNU will be a kernel
wew

>friendly thread

t. Stallman

>install gnome 3
>decent but some issues
>issues are fixed by extensions
>be happy
>tfw gnome devs will probably fuck everything up eventually

Upgrade to KDE neon

Whatever you do, don't downgrade to KDE neon.

So, can somebody give me the rundown on GPU passthrough? Everytime I look into it I feel like something is different.

My understanding was that you could share your hardware between host and guest OS, and so you would basically be dedicating a monitor to your guest OS and could treat it like a dual monitor setup. Is this not actually possible? If so that's kind of a huge bummer for me since it basically pigeonholes me back to Windows. (Especially since I need a Windows system for a few things more than gaymes, so having dual monitors is extremely helpful)

So is the dream dead unless I want to have two mice and keyboards?

>gaymes

Good thread!

sudo apt-get install sl
sl

Hey does anyone know why my ubuntu 17.04 has gnome 3.22 instead of 3.24? also how do I upgrade it to gnome 3.24?

Ubuntu 17 is out?

yup yesterday it released

Hey, what does everyone think of Calculate Linux? I want to try Gentoo but not waste my precious time installing it

Everyone keeps telling me that KDE is "bloated" and "too heavy".
And when searching for comparisons, I found this: renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

It seems to me that KDE is performant as fuck for how feature-rich it is.
Is this just some placebo or some shit?

KDE cannot be themed much.

Anyone have any opinions on Budgie?

My HDD died and I'm getting a new one today to replace it, but I'm thinking of just reinstalling fresh and copying a few settings and I've never tried anything with budgie.

That's fair criticism, but I like how it looks with just minor theme changes.
I'd prefer something similar to Windows7.

Thoughts on red vs blue? I've been using red for a while, but now I'm curious how it would be like to use blue instead. Any input welcome.

Use blue. It's always better than red.

blue is way to blue, it also doesn't follow the red philosophy
see: without-blue.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_blue

purple

why would you use red or blue when white exists? you can customize white to be red or blue or anything else

>using a downstream color

colour*

only proving further that purple is shit

I can use color without u en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English

>kde4.8.2
kde 4 was fine
5 is bloated and buggy

white is a meme

fuck off white is the purest GNU/color distro

>mom, cancel my meetings, everything turned out brown again