Microsoft is experimenting with tabs in File Explorer and other apps on Windows 10

windowscentral.com/windows-10-tabbed-shell

Other urls found in this thread:

makeuseof.com/tag/3-tools-to-add-tabbed-browsing-to-windows-explorer/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2010/02/hands-on-semantic-desktop-starts-to-show-in-kde-sc-44/
ejie.me
windowscentral.com/windows-10-tabbed-shell
twitter.com/AnonBabble

always a minimum of two years behind OSX

so what ? most linux filebrowsers had that more than 10 years ago.

Ah, yes, but no thumbnails

Nigga, I was was using tabs in 2004 versions of linux.

stop repeating every bullshit you read on Sup Forums

They actually did it, the madman, experimented with tabs!

It must be sweet to be Microshit where ctrl+c'ing an industry standard feature is seen as revolutionary only because 90% of consumers are literally *forced* to eat their shit - tabs or no tabs

I will continue to avoid using tabs.

just think of it as a graphical pushd. If you dont know what pushd is you may have Wangblows disease lol

Why did this take forever

About time

pcmanfm never had this problem

always a minimum of two years behind Linux

Holy shit it's about fucking time.

Also, welcome to 2003, Microsoft.

Not him and I know that's bullshit, but the merging bullshit, along with many things that have been fixed years ago already, are constantly mentioned whenever there's a little hint of mac user in a thread.

ROASTED

>two sets of close, minimize, and maximize buttons

This is worse than >2 clocks on an android homescreen

About fucking time.

> Because everyone uses the trash that is gnome

Yo dawg, window in a window. Now you can maximize while maximizing.
Kek.

Fucking Microsoft cannot do seemless UX updates.

>still not having Cut
>still not merging folders

lol

Option+Cmd+V

makeuseof.com/tag/3-tools-to-add-tabbed-browsing-to-windows-explorer/

Which one?

DELET

Clover or QTTabBar

>"Tabs in explorer" is just running multiple explorer windows in one container window
hahahaha, microsoft is too afraid to fuck up the explorer code

Any *nix explorer has tabs and Microsoft has to (((((experiment)))))?
Every day that goes by, I lose more and more respect for that company

Well the entire OS *is* being coded by millennials now, you know the 23-something gurlz who code :nerdglasses:

They're absolutely frightened by legacy code and rather than improving, refactoring, adjusting, they insist on UWP and everything is an app! App app app app app app app app app app

Wow 15 years late to the party.
HAHAAH

Windows is coded by pajeets, not girls.

Whoops, you're right. But the design decisions are again led by Young Female Power (tm)

After each meeting they go on to go gaggle and watch Steven Universe together.

And yet no one uses your freetard OS's with tabs.

>cannot move windows around workspaces with a keyboard shortcut
>taskbar shows windows open on all workspaces
>alt-tab switcher switches between windows on all workspaces

POO

KDE does

IN

LOO

someday, we will be the superpower of the world and you will wish you didn't say such hurtful things.

oh can it pajeet

what's next, are they goanna create their own shell for writing automation scripts?

the absolut madmen

glib2 patch has been out for years.

Now shut the fuck up

There's multiple fixes.
Also,
>not using macOS Sierra

>patch

>having to patch it in
Why not just include it by default?

>pajeets dream wife

Yes technically is not having tabs in the file explorer. Also plasma 4 already had this.

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2010/02/hands-on-semantic-desktop-starts-to-show-in-kde-sc-44/

Because it's unofficial

All paid, lol. Like the fix to show hidden files.

Then can somebody please make it official already?

sudo pacman -S glib2-patched-thumbnailer

It's really not hard, user.

If you want spoonfeeding, maybe try MacOS or Windows 10?

Welcome to 2000 Currysoft

thx bb

link pls i want to use it

>paying for software
lm@oing @ ur life

is it just me or MS is copying Dolphin starting with Windows 10? it looks awfully similar

I used to use this feature, where the fuck did this go on Plasma 5?

nvm

I used some extension on WinXP to get tabbed browsing in Explorer.
Here it is in VM.

I cannot remember the name of it. Been using it so long I forgot, not even sure where it is installed to. Can't see it by name in program files and too lazy to look through loads of folders.

Who uses explorer though?

I've been on opus for years, more features than you can shake a stick at and completely customisable.

Finally! something that GNU/Linux and OS X had for years, that's P R O G R E S S

Shit, that is the one! Qt Tab Bar!
here

I also realized I could right click the toolbar and it showed it. Never showed on the tabs which was confusing.

It probably got scrapped due to not being popular, i'm gonna check if there even exists a bug open to bring back that feature.

I also know of a gay furry who also works at microsoft

>2017
>still using default windows software
literally why?

Just checked but i didn't find any bug filled against bringing back this feature. I never used that feature but you should fill a bug to ask for this to come back.

Fake news

It does tho.

Damn you're slow.
ejie.me

>Spic
Nice try hombre

is this 2005 ?

>windowscentral.com/windows-10-tabbed-shell

>experimenting

KDE users have had this for literally years

I can't ever use a Windows system and come away from it thinking it's not broken and useless. It feels as if I'm deliberately being crippled when I have to deal with such a busted OS.

Follow-up

When is Windows going to have panes in file-explorer? You know, split a window, drag-n-drop from one side to the other. Like what we had with Norton Commander in the DOS days and mc in Linux and Unix?

it already has that. you people are being ridiculous, there is a lot of complaints that make sense against windows, but tabbed file browser? there isn't even an official filebrowser of linux other than cli utilities, how can you judge windows based on explorer when there are also alternatives just the same as there are on linux? maybe try total commander, the best paned file explorer currently?

total commander
explorer2
qttabbar if you insist that much on using the shitty explorer

For this logic to make sense you'd need to compare the linux kernel with the nt kernel. You'll not get a graphical file browser on any of them. If you'll be strict "linux" is just an internal component that is often not even advertised.

you misunderstand my logic. every distribution just about has their own file browser. caja, dolphin, thunar, pcmanfm, doublecmd, whatever the fuck else. there is no unified browser other than cli utilities such as cd, ls, popd/pushd and so on. so when people say "WOOOOOOOW LINUX HAS HAD TABS SINCE EARLY 2000S" you are really saying "THIRD PARTY FILE BROWSERS HAVE HAD TABS SINCE THE EARLY 2000S" despite windows third party browsers also having the same features. that is my logic and why it seems so stupid to me

Linux had this in 2002 in gnome
always playing catch up with windows

I still to this don't know what cut did on windows. I distinctively remember there was this one day where I really tried to figure out what it did but I gave up.

Where were you when MSFT beat Apple at design and polish?

gnome has thumbnails, it even has webm thumbnails

wow neon looks good. i always liked the zune/metro look, this just surpasses it imo

>gDesklets

R O F L
O
F
L

>MS adds something OS X has had for years now
yawn

this

that font rendering is shit-tier

kde had that in the fucking 1990s

so the absolute madmen decided to... implement the program manager window handling??
why

>there isn't even an official filebrowser of linux other than cli utilities
Then even those aren't "official".

You're spewing bullshit. The "official" file manager is the default one chosen by the distro or WM. All of these have had tabs for at least 10 years and thumbnails for longer than that.

I went back to Windows for the first time in 10 years for work last month. I was shocked by how primitive and undeveloped everything was. I expected Windowsto have more features than even minimalistic Linux WMs. I was wrong.

I do not understand how anyone gets real work done on that OS.

>Transparent background
If i were still using windows i would switch right now to linux
How can people even work with text on a transparent background

Ahahahaha
Is Microsoft finally realizing what year it is?

KDE.

mighty kek

This gives me an idea.

Can we open tabs in a tab?

most real work consists of busy work notes by HR people and complete wastes of time like that these days

the wind-blown trunk and all that

kek, underrated

if this is real it's even worse

>implying I don't have QTTabBar

That might be me.
Unless there are 2 gay furries working at Microsoft.

I bet you ten bucks the guy who designed this would think emacs is genius-tier.

There is nothing wrong with the idea, in fact, it's a good one. Microsoft will, however, do a horribly poor job implementing it into their horribly poor system, but that's another issue.