MIND = BLOWN

>electric current is a flow of electrons
>electrons have mass
>wires and circuits are therefore technically moving parts, and can deteriorate over time because of this flow

What the FUCK, I never put 2+2 together. Share other mindblowing technology facts.

Other urls found in this thread:

tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/elmat_en/kap_6/advanced/t6_4_2.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You forgot:
T.retard

Wires aren't deteriorating over time due to moving electrons. Solder joints fail from expansion and contraction due to heat. Contact points become oxidized. Capacitors fail eventually due to chemical breakdown.

This is all due to movement of electrons. Even oxidization. Without electrons moving, there would be no heat produced, and thus minimal expansion/contraction depending on ambient temps.

The electrons in the wire move less than a yard in an hour.

>electrons have mass

If electrons have mass, how come I can't fill a cup with JUST electrons?

You can

Nice user
Looks like u
bs it but got it mostly right

/.cuckchemgrad

>electrons moving in a metallic bonding != moving parts

This, if air has mass why can't I see it or touch it?

I have a question about the relationship between current flow and electron drift in an electric circuit.

I know that both phenomena occur, and that the electron drift occurs in the opposite direction of the current flow.

But my question is this: Does the amount of current flow EXACTLY determine the corresponding amount of electron drift? Or can there be some variation between the two?

In other words, does 1 C/s of current flow necessarily demand that exactly -1 C/s "worth" of electron drift is also occurring? (I use the word "worth" here to mean that I count each electron that drifts by a particular point as carrying -e amount of charge.)

My physics textbook doesn't make this very clear....

MIND BLOWING FACT:

OP IS A FUCKING RETARD

Oh wait we already know that

technically yes you can.

but the odds of you doing that would be the same as rolling dice 1 quadrillion times and getting 1 every time

Here is some explanation
tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/elmat_en/kap_6/advanced/t6_4_2.html

that's not true retard. electric current is a flow of ELECTRIC CHARGE
electrons aren't tiny billiard balls traveling through the wire

It's proportional.

>electrons aren't tiny billiard balls traveling through the wire
They are.

>It's proportional.

What is the proportion?

And how is it possible for the the proportion to be not exactly equal to 1?

>calls OP a retard
>posts retardation

Electrons do in fact move through circuits.

It depends on charge carrier, density of charge carrier, cross sectional area of wire.
Why would they have to be exactly equal?

Very slowly

>Why would they have to be exactly equal?

I was wondering if there was a causal relationship between electron drift (in one direction) and current flow (in the opposite direction). If a causal relationship exists, then I might wonder if -1 C/s worth of electron drift might in fact be simply another way of saying that 1 C/s of current is flowing the opposite direction.

If no causal relationship exists, then I might wonder if it's possible to have current flow, but with absolutely no electron drift in the opposite direction.

(As you can see, I don't really understand the physics theory of this very well. Any insights would be appreciated.)

>I was wondering if there was a causal relationship between electron drift (in one direction) and current flow (in the opposite direction).
Yes, they're proportional.
If you double current you double drift velocity.

No it isn't.
It's due to introducing more energy into the system, which causes the electrons to shift.
They are a result, not a cause.

What would a cup of electrons even look like?

You must remember that electrons are a negitive charge carrier and we think of electricity as flowing from positive to negitive due to ignorance at the time electricity was discovered. This is called conventional current vs electron flow. However it only matters when dealing with electrostatic problems and the physics on p and n type doped silicon.

It would look like a regular picture, except it would be negative :^)

you can't because of the uncertainty principle

In AC the electrons just wiggle back and forth.
In DC they move along the wire.
Then in my DC wire charging my laptop where do the electrons come from? Are they accumulating at one end and wearing away at the other?

holy shit these retards actually think electrons come from the power plant to their house through the wire ahahahahah

e = +- 1,6 * 10^-19 C
Q = n * e
?????????????????????

why do you think a power plug has two contacts

What about wireless chargers?

but where did the electrons come from to begin with?

Where are the electron mines and electron drills?

>Yes, they're proportional.
>If you double current you double drift velocity.

I understand that it's proportional. But is it also causal? In other words, does -1 C/s of electron drift necessarily imply 1 C/s of current in the opposite direction? If not, then what is going on to cause them to be different magnitudes?

"e" is just an alphabet equal to 1.6021×10−19 COULOMBS. e is the value of ELECTRIC CHARGE the electron carries. "e" is not for electron

But the grid is AC so it can be providing endless electrons. After my charger converts to DC where do they come from on that end?

>ELECTRIC CHARGE the electron carries.
You forgot about protons also, brainlet.

*can't

What is the Diode?
Super simply putting it diode is like a valve that tonly lets them go one way.
>DC pushes in
>electrons go in
>DC pulls back
>they cant go back
>What about wireless chargers?
Wireless charger makes electrons wiggle back and forth in a coil inside your phine and that creates DC current in the coil in a phone.

The Power icon found on power buttons is a combination of "0" and "1". This is because when its engaged it represents either a lack of current (off) or current is flowing (on)

Current state of Sup Forums - where illiterate rednecks try looking smart

>>DC pushes in
>>electrons go in
>>DC pulls back
>>they cant go back
So where do they come from then?
If I ran charger for a trillion years would the one end eventually run out of electrons to push through and the other end would be full of electrongs?

Solvated electrons look metallic. Same as the surface of a shiny metal like steel (metals have delocalised electrons)

>but where did the electrons come from to begin with?
Chemicals in the battery.

when battery is discharged it's in equilibrium when all the electrons are distributed evenly.

When you charge the battery you get electrons from one part of it into another. That creates a high energy state, one side has all the electrons and another has lack of them, and when you connect them you allow them to go back and that's current.

holy fucking shit men.
Just how fucking bad is Burger education?
It's 7th grade physics we're talking about.

They move extremely slowly, though. Do the math, we're talking like less than a meter per minute.

>So where do they come from then?
THEY WERE ALWAYS AROUND IN THE BATTERY

>battery is dry
>it means that cathode and anode are evenly saturated with electrons and there's zero electric field
>Apply electric force
>electrons are forced onto cathode out of anode
>Cathode has a lot of electrons thus negatively charged
>anode has a lack of electrons thus positively charged
>electrons are pulled towards the positive charge
>the system wants to go back to equilibrium state like a spring
>co when you close the circuit you allow the electrons to go back from cathode to anode

>American education system in full effect

Electromagnetic fields are not the same as electric wires

>An atom is the smallest constituent unit of ordinary matter [...].
>Every atom is composed of a nucleus and one or more electrons bound to the nucleus.

forget about electrons, what matter is the electric current, AC and DC are just two different ways of providing it

no closed curcuit = no flow

so how do I recharge my atoms

THERE IS INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER

Ever heard of einsteins ball of light?

You can.
Why?
Because all Electrons are samefagging HARD.

How do the electricity people make electrons though?

it doesn't work that way, OP
but this exists: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration

You can see and touch it though

Don't be silly

they don't, they just make them move

the big bang made electrons

take a physics class

No, there is electrons in everything already.

The "Power Plant" is just a pump that provides the push/pull to the electron flow.

Just as CPUs are rocks we trained to do math.

>Migrant electrons

So what would be Trumps wall? A resistor?

was just about to post

A resistor would just limit the flow. Maybe a capacitor, once enough pile up, they can "climb over" or actually jump across.

A better way to visualize what's going g on in wires is that atoms send impulses to each other. There is hardly any detoriation at all.

Well, no, but you technically can generate a tiny amount of electric power by literally shaking a wire along its length since what gives the wire its form is positively charged atoms in crystal lattice and free electrons will try to lag behind due to inertia, thus creating an electric field.

You can for incredibly tiny amount of time before they fly away due to electric repulsion. And by fly away I mean the whole thing will super blow up with some interesting effects that regular explosions don't make. I can't be bothered to do actual math, but there's a pretty good chance it will be enough to blow out every single piece of electronics on the planet.

t. Physics from before 1880

:^)

>can deteriorate over time
wut

>t. brainlets whom failed physics

Wow this thread is to smart for me.

Haha stupid op you dumbass

Electrons aren't real fucking idiot

It's not moving if I can't see it idiot

Electrons probably don't even exist

You probably failed grade 3 physics class, you moron

Lost
/thread

>a cup with JUST electrons

You can but it would be extremely painful.

I never realized that was dianna. Dianna has been a fan of shiny chariot this whole time.

Context of the system is the only thing holding back anything from being possible, and that fades quickly given time.

I didn't do the math but probably like this

Describing electronics as "moving parts" is very misleading.
It implies that electrons are classical particle, like a ball for example.
They are not. For one, accelerating an electron (putting it into a potential) does not merely make it move faster, it also creates radiation. Classical Electrodynamics is completely different than Classical Mechanics.
To make matters more confusing, the electron isn't even really a particle at all. It is both a wave and a particle described by Quantum Electrodynamics.

They would repel eachother with great force.
You need significant energy to cram unlike charges so closely together.

>brainlets whom failed physics
>whom
t. brainlet

Why does a fully charged battery weigh more than a fully discharged battery?

>mfw this fucking thread

>i just saw smth on youtube
>have to brag on Sup Forums using the same exact words used in that vid
>disguise as "mind blown"
Kid, go play on the Autobahn.

cause e=mc2

you put potential energy into it and mass and energy are related so of coz it's gonna weigh more

t. hopeless geeks who can't into physics without modeling everything.

you have a sore infected dick

then the battery weighs less, do u think the electrans just disappeared or something? fucktard

You're the one insisting that an electron 'is' a wave and particle both. Don't blame the confusion on me.

>L-look at me guys, I-I'm pissing out of my asshole!! I really troled you now! hahaha!

no, the potential energy went away

silly person

4u

Really makes u think

nothing moves
everything instantly changes position on the moment of observation
prove me wrong
t. pop/sci/ expert

You are simultaneously insulting and pleasuring me.

>t. Moron whom'st believes in an infantile reality

retard

ugh
imagine that instead of electrons moving, it's protons, with velocity +v. (in reality, it's both). these have +e charge so dq/dt is positive in the direction of +v. (current = dq/dt)
in the case of electrons, they move with +v, and have charge -e. so dq/dt is positive in the -v direction.

are you jewish?

I think I see what your question is. Here's the way I would ask it:

One electron drifting past a point represents exactly -e charge drifting past that point. Thus, overall electron drift would also be measured in C/s -- but it would be negative, to reflect the fact that each electron has a negative charge. Thus, electron drift can be measured using C/s as the unit of measurement.

So if current is measured using the same unit of measurement as electron drift, then is it true that 1 C/s of current (in the forward direction) is simply the direct result of exactly -1 C/s of electron drift (in the opposite direction)?

I'm actually not sure of the answer, but I think I get what you're asking.

>but it would be negative

No I don't think so. Electrons have negative charge, but they're also moving the the opposite direction. Those two negatives cancel, so electron drift would also be measured as a positive current.

But I believe that 1 amp of electron drift is required to get 1 amp of current flow. Are there any physicists here who can verify that?

you can feel air, just wave your hand around retard

>electrons have mass
only rest mass

YAMETEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YAMEROOOO