/sec/ - Security - Anonymity - Hardening

Hi Everyone,
ITT: You can share Sec, user or over stuff tips.
Also:
info thread

Other urls found in this thread:

catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
cybrary.it/
n0where.net/
offensive-security.com/metasploit-unleashed
resources.infosecinstitute.com/
windowsecurity.com/articles-tutorials/
sans.org/reading-room/
corelan.be/index.php/articles/
opensecuritytraining.info/Training.html
blackhat.com/html/archives.html
securitytube.net/
opensecuritytraining.info/Welcome.html
beginners.re/
threatpost.com/
deepdotweb.com/
packetstormsecurity.com/
cvedetails.com/
routerpwn.com/
exploit-db.com/
rapid7.com/db/
0day.today/
overthewire.org/wargames/
pentesterlab.com/
itsecgames.com/
exploit-exercises.com/
enigmagroup.org/
smashthestack.org/
3564020356.org/
hackthissite.org/
hackertest.net/
0x0539.net/
vulnhub.com
ringzer0team.com/
root-me.org/
microcorruption.com/
starfighter.io/
youtube.com/watch?v=9XaYdCdwiWU
seclists.org/oss-sec/2016/q1/363
hashdump.org/wiki/linux/hardening.html
strawpoll.me/12736081
youtube.com/watch?v=J1q4Ir2J8P8
pwnieexpress.com/
store.pwnieexpress.com/product/pwn-phone2014b/
github.com/xmikos/cryptboot
strawpoll.me/12752349
chiark.greenend.org.uk/~peterb/network/drop-vs-reject
serverfault.com/questions/412031/drop-vs-reject-ddos
nationalcyberleague.org
picoctf.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

links from old thread

How To Become a Hacker: catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

>Learning
cybrary.it/
n0where.net/
offensive-security.com/metasploit-unleashed
resources.infosecinstitute.com/
windowsecurity.com/articles-tutorials/
sans.org/reading-room/
corelan.be/index.php/articles/
opensecuritytraining.info/Training.html
blackhat.com/html/archives.html
securitytube.net/
opensecuritytraining.info/Welcome.html
beginners.re/

>News/CVE releases
threatpost.com/
deepdotweb.com/
packetstormsecurity.com/
cvedetails.com/
routerpwn.com/
exploit-db.com/
rapid7.com/db/
0day.today/

>Wargames
overthewire.org/wargames/
pentesterlab.com/
itsecgames.com/
exploit-exercises.com/
enigmagroup.org/
smashthestack.org/
3564020356.org/
hackthissite.org/
hackertest.net/
0x0539.net/
vulnhub.com
ringzer0team.com/
root-me.org/
microcorruption.com/
starfighter.io/

There's no such thing as anonymity today. You can try to by anonymous but that would have been suspicious.
Basically come on man. It would be highly suspicious if you didn't have any social media accounts and run TOR 24/7.

>suspicious
to who you fucking nigger?
kys yourself, cancer

drop packets instead of rejecting them
patch your shit
don't be stupid

I don't have any social media, encrypt everything, use a VPN, and use 2FA everywhere.

Is there any good (and somewhat simple) info on hardening GNU/Linux? Just got into it and some things I got already
>modifying sysctl values
>compiling with -fstack-protector-all, -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 and -Wl,-z,relro,-z,now (anything else?)
>grsecurity kernel

t.

good talk on OPSEC, that was posted in the last thread.
youtube.com/watch?v=9XaYdCdwiWU

that's a good start
you should enable -fsanitize=address on all setuid binaries for maximum security

There are physical factors. Basically every abnormal behavior tracks attention.

How does the new security issue concering Windows affect me, if I'm behind a NAT router? I hear it uses a hole in the SMB implementation.

seclists.org/oss-sec/2016/q1/363

Mods are pathetic laincucks who don't understand board culture

Such pathetic cucks who don't know cute girls like maki

Protip:
Maki is just a normie bitch, lain is love.

Also:
Do you think the numbers of proxy you hiding behind is important ? Like "Good Luck, I'm Behind 7 Proxies"

Joke's on them I'm a masochist

ASan doesn't work well with PaX

>Joke's on them I'm a masochist

You won't be joking after waterboarding

Run questionable software in VM, I wouldn't trust an NSA botnet modules for your kernel to handle security.

One would like to think.

hashdump.org/wiki/linux/hardening.html
has some simple guides.

That's a good thing considering that using asan with setuid binaries is insecure

Fuck good one caught me off guard

strawpoll.me/12736081
more people need to vote

R I O T / M A T R I X

Been running Hardened Gentoo and hardened kernel with grsec for about a month. Everything I normally use works, except for gdb debugging doesnt work but that's to be expected. I use gentoo's standard hardened toolchain havent riced any flags like I used to run gentoo years ago and then i tried ricing flags but a lot of stuff broke it never worked right.
Next up Im thinking of trying to setup something like firejail and apparmor.

youtube.com/watch?v=J1q4Ir2J8P8

More opsec, also Melvin Guzman.

Yo this thread fuckn ill my niqqa. We gon be hackn for weeks wit dis shit

you should learn selinux

Is tails good for basic sight reading and research?

cheers

yes

What are some good pentesting tweaks/root apps for Android or iOS?

>pwnieexpress.com/

It's not an apps, but muw

>Sorry bad link

store.pwnieexpress.com/product/pwn-phone2014b/

D E A D
E
A
D

Hey

Don't disrespect lain

You're an idiot

Who are you guys securing yourselves against anyway? The way I see it, you either try to secure yourselves against the NSA or against random hackers.

The thing is, I've used Windows for years and never once have I been hacked to my knowledge. Payment information has never been stolen, never had problems with identity theft, never had my data held ransom, etc. So if I have been hacked by some random hacker, then they must not have wanted to do much to me once they hacked me.

As far as the NSA goes, I don't believe you can do anything at all to defend against them if they target you specifically, so I don't see what the point is in trying to defend against them. I understand trying to get out from under their mass surveillance, but if you're being targeted by them specifically then I don't see how you could possibly defend yourself.

So in short, why do you guys do this? Is it just a hobby?

You're an idiot and I hope no one else responds to you

Why?

Fucking faggot, this is why Sup Forums is a garbage site. People like you just spam "lol idiot" to everyone and there's never any concrete discussion, and never any disagreement allowed unless it's forceful and exaggerated.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, retard

same reason people carry firearms, if you ever you need it, you will wish you had it.

I'm not leaving, so it certainly won't.

I'll give you a (you). I don't think anybody here really thinks they can fully protect themselves from the NSA because as all the leaks have shown they hoard zero days like you hoard cock in your asshole and if you draw their ire they can get you. The reason we do it is because we want to make their job as hard as possible as a way of flipping the bird to them to them. It also has a side effect of making it hard for the normal run of the mill hacker to screw with you which is always a good thing. I know you might like to present your anus to get fucked by random strangers but not everybody is into that kinda shit.

Dragnet spying/hacking. Anybody who's actually targeted by the NSA is screwed but passive information snooping on a massive scale won't affect a secure setup. I guarantee you've been passively spied on. Microsoft is scanning your disks and sending file hashes to their databases right now.

I certainly don't want to have any meaningful conversation with an actual retard and I think he didn't either, feel free to get out of this site if you dislike it so much.

bump from the depths
also vote faggots

>tfw no social group where we all work on wargames together on IRC

github.com/xmikos/cryptboot

Meme or not? I've been looking at ways to prevent evil maid and that seems to be my best bet.

I'm kinda surprised there isn't more stuff like that everywhere - installing a hardware keylogger is both more time-consuming, and easier to detect, than a malicious bootloader, while outright replacing hardware (e.g. installing a malicious mobo or CPU) is even more time-consuming and costly.

You will still be compromised if the NSA gets temporary access to your laptop, but at least your disgruntled roommate won't be able to flash a usb disk after 30 minutes of research online and infect your PC while you're taking a dump.

I think a name should be restablished since name already differed from last thread but everyone seems fine with both.
strawpoll.me/12752349

If there's no IRC channel by tomorrow I'll make it. (With results from the poll or whatever)

>Sup Forums with tripcodes
This is very very outdated.

Why no /gsg/?

Shit poll

While it's true the physical factors can blow your 'cover' in the first place that shit doesn't matter if you just want to protect your data. If you're actually some 1337 haxx0r the best thing to do is some opsec and have a normie life with FB and a different machine for that shit.

If you look up the history of who gets caught doing illegal shit online, it's always because the person blows their cover is really roundabout ways and never really the government exploiting zero days. IF they already know who you are you're fucked anyway. It takes one slip up for you to leave you machine unattended and physically accessing everything

>Sup Forums security general
The point is for this to be named Sup Forumssec or Sup Forumsnetsec like the other shitty generals.

GTFO chiark.greenend.org.uk/~peterb/network/drop-vs-reject

it is going to be /nsg/ since you did not put any effort into your poll if you want to remake then we can postpone the irc until the end of the next thread. if you do not care then im going to make the irc when this thread 404's and start the next thread with the irc

i do not care when the irc is made as long as it is before the 21st

No. In fact someone could argue that the more proxies you use the less secure you are. Complexity is not a substitute for good opsec.

starfighter has been dead for months,why are you still linking to it?

>it's going to be /nsg/ because i want it to
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I was talking about the irc channel name with Sup Forumsnetsec. There's no need for the "general" word to be in the acronym, and it looks better without it.
If you want /nsg/ or whatever to be in the poll, consider if people would vote it over /sec/ or /netsec/. Anyway make another stupid poll if you want.

I really don't think it makes a difference.
>>>/tpg/
>>>/sqt/
>>>/csg/
>>>/fglt/
>>>/wdg/
>>>/dpt/
>>>/ptg/
>>>/pcbg/
>>>/spg/

Almost every general here has "thread" or "general" in the name. It also makes filtering easier to a degree, for those who are into that.

Rejecting packets has more overhead when compared to drop.

serverfault.com/questions/412031/drop-vs-reject-ddos

>/netsec/
this

How are more hops making you more vulnerable? Shouldn't it be the other way around? As long as the proxies are logless and with good encryption.

bump

You literally can't verify that they're logless or properly encrypted unless you built them. And you don't know how the company will do in court. Cash burners and public internet

what are you looking for? you can find pen testing, kiddy scripter, and CTF/wargame discords by just taking 5 minutes to search around on Reddit.

we are making one that is why i want the irc before the 21 so i can sign us up for a ctf
i was just giving it the name it had last time. anyways i do not care what the name is the channel could be called "fuck /cyb/ we do shit"

Just keep an up to date GNU/Linux system, stop using any suspicious corporate services, and you're already 99% more secure than the average user. Also stop using VPNs, you can't trust them at all because you have no way to review their infrastructure.

I am going to make the CTF team we need a team name

eromanga-sensei

i might do this and name the irc after this too

only if you can live up to the standards of TomoriNao though

nope

How is NCL going for you guys?

I'm stuck on a very basic question and the hard part of wireshark network analysis. 90% complete.

Why do you fuckers do these thread when I am away from my desktop computer? Fuck you guys

So any of you faggots panicking over the not-CIA Shadowbroker release of all those juicy windows zero day exploits.

>NCL
Noregian Cruise Line?
better than no thread you ungratful bitch
>windows

Yesterday's thread was full of panicking kids disabling SMB 1 and 2 and NetBIOS and crying into their mountain dew about how not even windows 10 is safe. I wonder where the windows 10 shills went, it's relatively peaceful right now.

i did not read most of yesterday's thread. but fuck em they are running windows something that you can break into with a linux usb. besides most windows user have not heard about the leak nor will they ever care about security.

I have been using selinux for a year or so

I am still not very good at telling whether a denial is something an application needs to function or not, for instance stuff like whether local_login_t default_t:dir search; is something you should allow or whether it is a symptom of some other configuration error

or stuff like a cleaner way of giving execmod permissions on a case by case basis (if that is even possible) rather than globally

security general? noice
did you guys try any of the latest leaked NSA tools? I didn't... because I didn't trust those .exe's

>he uses windows
you're just about the only faggot in this thread still using windows

>>he uses windows
who even said I use windows, you retard? do you know what virtual machines are?

Don't worry. Microsoft patched those 0 days conveniently exactly 1 month before it was leaked to the public.

National Cyber League

nationalcyberleague.org

The security club in my university is planning on making a team, but as far as I know there is one other guy besides me that's posting in the channel rip.

it looks cool but it sucks that it cost money. do you think anyone else will join your team?

pretty much this. i get how all of this is interesting and gives you an elite feel, but ironically most cybersecfreaks i've met so far talked to me about their sophisticated home setups and then pulling out an iphone or nexus/pixel with paypal and twitter on it.

>microsoft is aware of my rare pepe collection and that i pirate the expanse every week wich is perfectly legal in my country
p-please don't torture me, cia!

It was $25 to join, to be honest, they have a LOT of good info and labs regarding "ethical hacking" and "Security +" It's pretty cheap if you are up for it or want to do it with a friend.

Now I got an email saying that teams have to register, and it's $25 per team, a team is 3 to 10 people. But I have no idea if I can go on to do it solo. I think it's possible to solo, but I haven't checked.

I think it's worth the $25 if you want to compete with others and see what you know. A lot of people already got 100% completion on the first damn day the preseason game started.

I don't like how the labs lag (maybe it's me) when you do them, but it's still possible to do it under your own VMs. They provide the pdfs which is pretty sweet. But very basic stuff. There is no explanation, it's only step by step "paste this command, now paste this command"

And the preseason game was pretty fun but I have never done this one so I guess I'll leave it be until I meet the security club people on Monday and see what's up. I wanna know how to do it, but I have no idea how to do it.

Glad this thread is coming up. Since lainchan's /sec/ got deleted, I hope these threads stay up!

i know i saw what they offered but i one those weird people that believe all inforation like that should be free. i understand they have to make money and what not. and a suggestion about the team thing you might as well try getting a third and winging it. that is going to be an amazing experiance but do not expect to win but try to anyways.
i have not kept up with lain the last few days. is it offical they are not going to bring back /sec/ or are they trying to merge it into /tech/

Yeah the reason I even joined was because several members from the security club I go to were planning to as well. There are other CTF games for free, but I don't know why I never tried them. Probably I wasn't sure they "teach" like this one, how to do specific things. This one has labs and pods that you can schedule with their own network topology. It's good quality stuff, but you can easily mimic it with VirtualBox and some RAM.

I suggest adding this into the OP under "Competitions with money" but eh, it's still a resource.

There's picoctf.com/ but I haven't tried it out yet.

Nope. I still have a good reserve.

>fuck em they are running windows something that you can break into with a linux usb

You're retarded