Am I the only one that thinks Windows 8.1 is underrated?

Am I the only one that thinks Windows 8.1 is underrated?

It's better than Windows 7 desu

No, I agree with you completely.

This thread courtesy of Microsoft's Reputation Management contractors.

I tried using it but the UI is unbearable.

seriously, yes, ironically, no

I tried installing w7 on my new build last weekend and couldn't get it to install ANY drivers. USB mouse and keyboard were stuck on generic[no center click to scroll], CPU disc would get stuck at 0% forever, GPU told me to fuck off or connect to the internet, and when I tried to install my usb wifi driver it wouldn't because its one of those 1/2 disc 1/2 onboard TP-Link tings and didn't detect the 1/2 driver from the USB dongle. So I've been using 8.1 for a week and nothing I could think of doing to it stops it from looking like eyecancer and generally being an awful mobile-first pain in my goddamn ass

yes

>So I've been using 8.1 for a week and nothing I could think of doing to it stops it from looking like eyecancer and generally being an awful mobile-first pain in my goddamn ass
Install classic shell you absolute retard.

Fucking basics of ricing. Your bitching should be more focused on "features" not design you porch monkey

Its the best OS for media playback and much better than 10 but i still prefer 7.

From your comment i cant tell that youre tech illiterate idiot that came from reddit probably. Only a dumbass will install outdated drivers from CD's that came with hardware components.

8.1 E was seriously underrated especially when 10 E came out.

what does 8.1 offer over 7?

Windows 8.1 was great with classic shell, but now I've upgraded my dual-boot to windows 10 and Fedora 24 (need to update to 25)

Metro.

Native support for a lot of modern hardware. See USB 3 in particular, something that can still be janky as shit on Windows 7 and most of the time won't work at all until you install the drivers for your motherboard/USB controller.
Also better resource management and performance improvements.

i happened to put clean install of w7 on my laptop and w8.1 on my friend's 2 days ago... (only because his laptop was HP and their site didn't have W7 drivers for his shit)

it is def harder to get W7 up and running without drivers in hand, his shit pretty much worked right away and I had to download 20 something drivers and put to thumb drive to get mine up and running

then of course I had to install the drivers in the "right order"

honestly Linux is easier to install but he was crying to me about the Xubuntu i gave him. I run Manjaro XFCE on my laptop but had a second hard drive so I put Windows 7 on it so I can get better FPS playing LoL

windows 8.1 with classic shell is criminally underrated

It's legit shit.
Performance degradation of up to 33% in a majority of dx9 cases.
t. had-to-use-it-for-6-months-on-my-passthrough

It tires to perform a LOT of background maintenance which is fine for your normie grandmother but it can devastate a virtualized environment.

you can turn every background task in settings

win 8.1 have better GPU performance thanks to WDDM 1.3

I'm on Windows 8.1 right now.

It's honestly pretty good. Most of the time when I install it, I don't even need the drivers from the web. Cause it's already installed them itself. Plus its got 3 more years of updates in comparison to Windows 7

You aren't doing your pass through right.

I actually saw a performance increase when doing passthrough back in the day.

Anyways.

Win 8.1 enterprise here.
Win 10 enterprise would crash, and boot loop with a clean install after installing amd drivers. guh.

Go on duckduckgo, searcho "en_windows_8.1_enterprise_with_update_x64_dvd_4065178" then go on pastebin and search "slmgr kms enterprise 8.1" to find a kms server and activate.

>install classic shell
What?

>Enterprise
>AMD

Found the problem. What company uses AMD?

It's way better than 10, and I massively regret "upgrading"

Does Windows 8.1 feature telemetry by default or does it only appear in the form of "security updates"? I would like to know this if I eventually decide to upgrade from Windows 7.

is shit

What's the ltsb equivalent for windows 8.1. Enterprise isn't since it has store.

>get WiFi/Ethernet driver from another PC and install it from a USB drive
>run snappy driver and leave the PC for an hour or so

I also advocate for the use of 8.1 instead of 7 or 10. It's fast, it's good looking and working with system files or services isn't such a pain.

The only issue: updating it takes a whole fucking day.

Classic shell is a program that enables you to customize windows, such as adding a start menu, customizing the taskbar, and more

I ditched it because they never fixed that fucking bug that deletes your thumbnails every few days.

How is it better than 10? 10 is newer. A-doi doi doi doi doi doi!

8.1 is to 10 what vista was to 7. Retarded shit windows pulled until they eventually got their shit together

Yeah, like ads, shitty icons, some assistant you can't disable, a flat theme that looks disgusting, shittier font rendering, removal of certain settings so you're forced to use the new settings menu, forced updates, windows that can't be stacked properly, lack of consistency with menu elements. I'm sure that's what 7 was to Vista.

8.1 has severe autism when it comes to HP laptops especially bluetooth and trackpad. It literally shits itself with updated drivers. You need to use old Windows 7/8 drivers to keep it stable.

Updated drivers especially Intel GPU which makes a massive performance difference.

I am being forced to upgrade from Windows 7. Choices are 8.1 or 10. I already have one Win10 machine for work and I cant stand it to be honest.

I think I will go with 8.1 with classic shell.

I know what you mean.