/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 & i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless super cheap on sale
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider a locked 7700 and not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock - or get Ryzen 5
>Cheap Z270 board is still worth it for faster memory in games with a locked 7700. Cheap Z270 aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470 8GB, RX480 8GB, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than an RX470, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)
>Vega comes in May

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help here
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity
>Save money with mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/CLvQYr
ark.intel.com/products/33083/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5450-12M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB
nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/BxnrXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/JsXtbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/Xz3nr7
pcpartpicker.com/b/x8YTwP
pcpartpicker.com/list/NDQ2nn
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First.

the only PC you need for non autists and gaymers

change each part to OutletPC for bulk ordering it was compiled as cheapest for that outlet anyways based on being cheapest in 3 of the parts anyways

pcpartpicker.com/list/CLvQYr

>intel literally is going to keep i5's at this price point when AMD has hyper threaded 4c's at the same price

Sort of.
The ground goes through the wire and all. So it's not not grounded if not screwed in tight to the case, if that's what you're asking.

Get DDR 2400. You'll get a good performance increase for the like $4 cost increase.

The gold Seasonics are still really good quality and cheap.
But if money is no object? Yeah I'd get the fanless/platinum ones.

>I have the 7700k on there not the 6700k though.
How much better than the 6700k do you think the 7700k is..?

>From what I understand it's still going to be a while before games start utilizing more cores efficiently, right?
Sure. But those are cores less over for other applications to use so the game can purely use 8-10 threads itself unobstructed. Meanwhile the 7700k is maxed out 95-100% load on all 8 threads.

But if literally all you do is turn on your computer, play games, and turn off your computer, and you have a monitor that's higher than 60hz, then the 7700k is generally better. Unless those stuttering problems it gets in many games even at just 50% load that Ryzen doesn't are really some architecture issue and not user setup error.

Dropping prices would be admitting they screwed people over. And there are still people that will pay the absurd prices because GenuineIntel.
They have to wait until the 8000 series to lower prices.

>4 dollar increase

just be happen i spent more on the PNY, the SV300 SSD is more than suitable too but out of spite of all the votes that has over the PNY which is infinately faster i chose that.

you can always just spend bit more, this is for the non-autist, this is a no brainier

they're going to be using the intergrated graphics which can play 1440p youtube vids without dropping frames and any other 1080p content across the web without issue, while also multi tasking anything else

and the choice of 4x2 ram is that in a pinch you can still get by with just 1 stick, if you know for a fact you almost use 8 a lot then just get a isngle 8 gig stick and add another later one

arent they doing that already by having pentiums with HT?

i mean i just bought a 4600 which outperforms my older 4170 in both computing and also its 610 graphics is light years ahead of the 4400 graphics

>exploding EVGA 1080's are only $40 less than the premium, non-exploding ones
Dude what

It's to fuck with the retards that think "muh $40 difference is too much to be worth it"

someone suggest mobo and ram for r5 1600

I think it'd be good to something about how it might not be advisable to mix Nvidia GPU with Ryzen CPU if playing DX12/Vulkan to the OP. It's iffy whether or not Nvidia will get their drivers fixed.

Guess so. If literally never going to touch games (the G4560 can play Dota, CSGO, etc, with the iGPU and 2400 RAM), that is a good build if someone can actually get that BIOS flashed.

Yes. They were screwing people over making them pay so much more to get a dual core with hyperthreading when it costs them pennies to add to a CPU. Finally added it to the Pentiums. Still screwing people over on the i5s, though.
Intel can offer a decent product at decent prices if they want to. They just didn't want to for a long while.

ASRock Pro4 mATX and cheapest 3200 as long as you can handle it maybe only running at 2933.

get the cheapsest ASRock mobo if you're that worried, i just flashed it over the net from its bios screen without issue in a build a few weeks ago

id assume every major mobo maker would have that ablility by now tho

My main problem is that I don't really want to wait for the new AMD GPUs to come out, which apparently would be the better thing to do since Ryzen and GTX cards aren't working very well together.

I feel like I'm just trying to build a new computer at a very awkward time.

How long is the RX480 going to be able to run modern games on high settings at 60fps at 1080p?

Should I just get one of those and upgrade to a Vega later on when I need it?

Most demanding games I'm going to be playing atm will probably be Fallout 4 with lots of mods, and Rust (being as it's absolutely not optimized whatsoever).

Maybe also GTA 5.

How's this look for a 4k Kodi HTPC/light couch gaming rig? I don't know a ton about video decoding, so I'm not sure if I even need the GPU. Most of my content is h264. Very little (none?) is h265 yet.

I had a different build with a Kaby i5, but I think that might be a bit unnecessary.

Forgot to mention that media storage will be on my NAS. 120gb SSD is mostly for OS. When I say "light couch gaming", I mostly mean emulators and indie shit, so I think 120gb is enough for that.

You should just get the 1600 and overclock it its only like $30 more

>I feel like I'm just trying to build a new computer at a very awkward time.
Yeah, kinda.
>How long is the RX480 going to be able to run modern games on high settings at 60fps at 1080p?
Dunno, but it's not like you can't sell it and get Vega/Volta/Navi.
Scorpio is similar power to the RX580 and doing 4K 60fps. Why shouldn't console ports of those games? They only wouldn't unless intentionally gimped, or you turn the settings up higher than what they are on console.

>Should I just get one of those and upgrade to a Vega later on when I need it?
You could get a used 7970/280X for like $65-$85. It's almost as good as an RX470, and better than a 1050Ti.

>Most demanding games I'm going to be playing atm will probably be Fallout 4 with lots of mods, and Rust (being as it's absolutely not optimized whatsoever). Maybe also GTA5
Yep a 7970/280X will be good on those.
I still get 60fps min with graphics maxed on my 7970 in For Honor in the 1v1 and 2v2 modes.

Get the Pro4. It's $65 after rebate if you review it on Newegg right now. Really good board even at $80.
And you should be able to find an RX470 around that price. Just underclock it slightly if it's really too hot.
And you can get the Seasonic 550RM for $50 after rebate, too.
And why such slow RAM? It doesn't cost that much more for 2400-2800

Any CPU that can beat my R5450 that I paid 45$?

No game made it bend the knee yet, not a single one

E5450 - my mistake ark.intel.com/products/33083/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5450-12M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

For emulators, the 7350K may be better.

It really depends, because Ryzen is actually better with some of the instruction sets emulators use. Like OpenGL emulation is way higher IPC on it, VirtualBox too.
But Dolphin? It's significantly slower on Dolphin which is compiled only for Intel.

Even a G4560 is faster than that in some newer games that actually use HT well.
>No game made it bend the knee yet, not a single one
I guess you're one of those that thinks 30fps is good enough.

No, no game yet took over 70% of my CPU usage, including GTA V and RE7. My GPU is what limits me, a Sapphire R7 260X OC Edition

Do we have any confirmation on the best B350 boards for overclocking/best build-quality all around?

So far it sounds like I should go with Gigabyte.

Also, is there a chance of either motherboard "refreshes" or more/newer AM4 B350 boards coming out? I feel like some of the motherboard problems with AMD might need actual hardware revisions so I'm iffy on buying a MB right now.

ASRock Pro4 has 6+3 phases, plenty for overclocking. It's only $65 right now.
But the Gaming 3 is a really nice board, as Gigabyte BIOS has been good and it has the dual BIOS.
But yeah. ASRock and Gigabyte.
ASUS hardware seems good on paper but the BIOS is not.

MSI I've heard mixed on.
Some people say they OC crap, some great. Some say they can't get memory going fast on them, others say they hit 3200 no problem. Some take 25 seconds to POST, and others POST right away.

>Also, is there a chance of either motherboard "refreshes" or more/newer AM4 B350 boards coming out
I'm pretty sure they're keeping the number of models low now because it's less BIOS to update.

Using it for gaming.

nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/BxnrXH

thoughts/recommendations?
I'm planning to overclock the cpu, and I'd like to push the ram to 3200, for obvious reasons. GPU is whatever is best 980ti I can find for around the 300 dollar mark

a fan on my 7970 died

its a firstd fd7010h12s which is listed as a 75mm part

but measuring the actual fan comes up with 90mm

anyone have experience with replacing gpu fans?

Okay, I think I'm just going to do a full AMD build and upgrade later on once I need it. These parts should be relevant for like at least another three years, right?

I'm not planning on trying to do like 4k 144hz gaming; just 60fps at 1080p.

Not too sure about the ram and motherboard though. I have them picked because they're part of a small package deal on Newegg. I'm more than willing to switch those out if I could do better since I'm going to be saving so much by going with a RX480.

How does this look?

pcpartpicker.com/list/JsXtbj

**CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor]
$218.44

**Motherboard** | [Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard]
| $158.99

**Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory]
| $127.99

**Video Card** | [Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card]
| $199.49

**Case** | [Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case]
| $79.99

**Power Supply** | [Corsair CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply] | $79.99

| **Total** | **$864.89**

I have a couple of ssd I will use. (I know power supply is overkill, might get a cheper one.

Consider a used GTX 1070 instead, can probably find one for 270-300.

>only $65 right now
Not him, but here it's 99€ for the AB350M Pro4 or the GA-AB350M GAMING 3. Same for PSUs.

i didnt know they were that cheap, I'll look into that

You can see some on ebay's sold listings. They range from about 250 at minimum, to about 300-330. Should hold a little bit longer than a 980ti.

>nz prices
mother of god...

Replace HDD with Hitachi or WD Black, and if you're paying so much for an RX480 maybe you can get a XFX GTR for that?
And get a 550-650W PSU max.

Build looks good otherwise.

Looks good.
>GPU is whatever is best 980ti I can find for around the 300 dollar mark
EVGA had them for $320 on their site. Not sure if that's still up.
You can find used R9 Fury for around $250 which won't have the same Nvidia driver issues.

>anyone have experience with replacing gpu fans?
Yes. It's easy. Not much different from replacing a CPU cooler.

>spend hours building new PC
>turn on power for first time
>everything starts
>everything turns off
>look down
>surge protector strip had fallen from its mount and my shoe found the off button
>pc won't start now

Is this fixable or should I go hang myself in the garage?

For that money you could get the XFX GTR, can't you? Isn't it like $245?
ROG Strix was on sale for like $209 yesterday, and like $190 a week ago.
Or wait for RX580... that Red Devil card looks really nice and might only be $260 or so.
But if you just plan to upgrade to Vega.. just get the cheapest RX470 4GB.

And get the Seasonic 550RM from Newegg. You won't need over 550W even if you get the biggest Vega card later. That rig as is never going to exceed 300watt.

$200 for a 4GB RX480..
Why not just get an RX470? And why such an expensive and overpowered PSU?

idk that makes little sense

I dont envy you right now desu

>ASRock Pro4 has 6+3 phases
Technically incorrect. ASRock mobos have 6 phases trough doubling, so only 3 true phases.

Has anyone here ever set up a dedicated streaming PC? I'd like to target really high quality x264 settings through OBS. Currently have a 5820k but would like to stream some 144Hz gameplay in the future and I'm thinking ahead.

I have a functional second PC but it just has a cheap Z87 mobo with a Pentium in it. Not sure if I should bite the bullet and go full Ryzen or try to skate by with a 4770 or 4770k. I know this is kind of a first world problem but any input would help out.

The PC lost power like 30 seconds into the initial boot and now won't even turn on

I didn't see it had fallen and of course when I slid feet under the desk that's where they hit

For gaming at 1080/60. I already have an dvd drive and 1tb HDD from the computer this will be replacing.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Xz3nr7

Any suggestions for better parts at this price range? Should I hold off on the 480 and see how the 580 performs?

>XFX
Not him. But the MSI Gaming X is better cooled.
Also isn't the 580 a thing now.
Get the 5080. It should overclock better
>not OCing
Youtube how to. It's easy as fuck for cards. A few slider bars.
Pic related.

Still no gpu worth upgrading from a 7870...

Are there any AIO water coolers that are worth the premium? 99% of the reason I want one is the aesthetics/not dealing with a giant block of metal sticking out of my CPU, so it's not really a dealbreaker, but it would be nice to have.

Am I looking at a $140 AIO before I get parity with giant air HSFs?

>isn't the 580 a thing now
Almost, they're taking preorders for it. By the end of April at the latest, I think.

But they still OC fine.

I'm curious about this and was looking before, but I really found no information on it.
Theoretically, a 4770 should be able to take the video output from one PC and encode it at really good quality.

A 550W is still going to be enough to handle the power draw of a GPU OC, if that's what you're saying.
And XFX GTR seems to have the best binned GPUs. People are getting 1450Mhz on the stock cooler up from 1338 with them fine, and higher with better cooling.
It looks like a number of RX580 will be 1400-1500 stock OC. If they will go up to 1650-1750 on a good air cooler, that's going to be really insane. That'll be like Fury X performance.

Looks fine except, again, that's a lot of money for an RX480.

April 18th. 4 fucking days.

soon... hopefully. 7970 here myself.

Am I just fucked? I can't find a single resource online that addresses situations like this.

Yeah probably. It's hard to beat the NH-D15.

Turn your PSU off and on and try a different surge protector?

Unplug your CMOS battery for a while and put it back in, too.

It's the quietest of all those too, isn't it?
>no le grand macho on the list

Surge protector is fine. I kicked the power switch on accident because I was unaware it had fallen.

I'll try the CMOS battery. I don't think it ever installed the first BIOS cause it was literally the first boot ever.

Oh. So it died during BIOS update.
It's bricked.

Is it saveable somehow? I just got it today

>XFX GTR seems to have the best binned GPUs
I'll take that with a huge grain of salt.

Reset CMOS and hope for the best.

Yeah, the NZXT looks good until you look at the noise levels. IMO the best closed loop is the H100i, and if you want something better you have to go custom loop.

I did. It didn't work.

Just black screen? Any fans spinning up?

Nothing outside of the power indicator light on the GPU.

Holy shit it's quietest by a mile, I was unaware it was that good
I'm coming from using an R9 290 and would really prefer the noise be as quiet as humanly possible. I don't think I could put up with another airplane taking off under load

Thoughts?

Primarily a gaming rig, not interested in a workstation. Originally had i7 and 1080 but traded for i5 and 1080ti. Will i5 bottleneck it? budget < $1500

>i5 with 1080ti
>2.5" drive in a desktop
Why?

>Dead socket in 2017
>2.5" drive in a desktop

>2.5" drive
Look at the case
>i5 with 1080ti
want a 1080ti for 4k one day, i5 for budget

>61 db
>literally many times more noisy than the Noctua
Holy shit. People pay $150 for those and buy so many of them.

I've got the h100. It's quiet. Still not nocturna quiet, but still.
Honestly got it because I'm getting a lot for the dosh.
Would have got the nocturna if they weren't price gouging.
$80-90ish for nocturna. $100-110 for the AIO.
I really hate paying so much for something so simple.

>i5 + 1080ti
>laptop storage drive
>mini ITX motherboard

what are you doing

>i5 for budget
Bottlenecks out the ass with a 1080ti.

>But if you just plan to upgrade to Vega.. just get the cheapest RX470 4GB
Well, I won't be upgrading for at least a couple years.

>And get the Seasonic 550RM from Newegg. You won't need over 550W even if you get the biggest Vega card later
Are you sure?
Because I'm eventually going up upgrade the CPU as well.

Consider a slightly larger case then my man

Do any of the Motherboard companies actually have decent warranty support anymore?

Yeah. I got an artic accelero cooler for my 7970. Quieter than my corsair case fans.

>i5
>>>>>$1468 for an i5
>a gpu that won't fit in that case
it's really, really shit if not bait. But I'm pretty sure it's just bait.

>Are you sure?
100% positive.
>Because I'm eventually going up upgrade the CPU as well.
7nm will use less power, not more.

guess nobody likes SFF builds

I like them.
But a 1080Ti doesn't fucking fit in a Node 202, you retard.

Fuck. I regret posting.

It'd have been hilarious to see him spend $1462 on a PC that can't be put together, and even if it could would run like shit with an i5 bottlenecking the fuck out of a 1080ti.
People with more money than sense getting fucked over is hilarious.

I think shit is just fucked then. you could try to manually boot by using a flathead screwdriver or something else metal on the front panel header to jump the system. There's always a small chance it was just the case's front panel connection that was fried.

lo and behold
pcpartpicker.com/b/x8YTwP

frys has the sf600 on sale for $99($89 with rebate), just picked one up today. Don't know how much shipping is though.

I feel like I could probably make this cheaper but I'm not sure what to cut. Not sure what my budget is quite yet but I was hoping $800-900 for now, I can get peripherals and another drive later.

Alright, I think I'm close to being done with it then.

Final revision?

RAM looks okay?

And btw, thanks a lot man. You've helped me out a ton.

pcpartpicker.com/list/NDQ2nn

>But a 1080Ti doesn't fucking fit in a Node 202, you retard.

It does actually

I would;d love to see the temps on this thing after a bit of gaming.

Get a different PSU. SeaSonic 550 > EVGA and it's 50$ now after a 20$ rebate. You could also probably find a cheaper 250gb SSD from Crucial.

It seems like a house fire waiting to happen.

Honestly it looks pretty damn good to me. This is nearly identical to the PC I'm building my Wife right now. I opted for DDR4 3000 LPX sticks that were ~$109 on newegg earlier this week instead though.

>no heatsink on the gpu
>just replacing it all with 2 fucking fans.
kill yourself

Looks good, except, again, the GPU.
That GPU is not one of the best ones. It's not worth $240.
You should be able to get a cheaper one, an RX580 in 3-4 days, or get the XFR GTR RX480.

>pcpartpicker.com/b/x8YTwP

"I am looking add an additional 120MM Red LED Case fan on top of the CPU fan (by attaching using zip cables to the Chassis vent). Currently, I have the case fans as intakes."

I think the BIOS just partially installed and cut out. The MOBO has a BIOS pin connector on it so im wondering if it can be flashed from there. Do computer shops do that?

>an RX580 in 3-4 days, or get the XFR GTR RX480
Will do.

Sincerely appreciate all the help.

>pcpartpicker.com/b/x8YTwP
Holy fuck. The fans are on backwards, too.
This person must actually be trolling.

I won't be buying it for a bit, so idk if that rebate will still be good then, but I did look through some of SeaSonic's before settling on the G3. But I'll certainly go over the PSU again before I finish. I'll see how the 580s turn out too. Also the SSD went up by like 8 or 10 dollars today so it was more reasonable before.

Thanks. I only found a few dollars difference between the 3200 and some of the slower speeds so I figured I'd just go with the faster one.

Curious, why spend extra on Corsair instead of Ripjaw?

anyone know what happened to this card?

MSI RX 480 GAMING X 8G

seems like it's sold out everywhere, pcpartpicker doesn't even list any prices for it anymore

another site says that it's discontinued but i can't find any articles that confirm that

Lots of RX400 cards have gone on big sales to get rid of them the past 5 weeks.

>MSI RX 480 GAMING X 8G
>
>seems like it's sold out everywhere,
They've probably dropped it because the 580 is about out.
It's worth waiting for an MSI 580. They tend to be the best cooled ones.

might be a little autistic but I was looking for white RAM if I could. It's not too much more, like $5

Probably not worth the hassle at this point. I would just RMA the motherboard and call it a day. Just really bad luck man, sorry.