It's 2017 and we still didn't came up with something better than blowing cool hair in your laptop to keep it from...

>it's 2017 and we still didn't came up with something better than blowing cool hair in your laptop to keep it from overheating

Wtf Sup Forums ? Is this really the most effective cooling method we can think of?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9DyUitTVWlw
techspot.com/news/62361-surface-pro-4-hybrid-liquid-cooling-system.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Well not hair for sure

the huge air corporations don't want you switching to better technologies lad, air is a huge industry

You can get passively cooled laptops. But it turns out that most people are willing to accept a reasonably quiet fan in exchange for much higher performance.

>air*
sorry

Yes. Unless you want to use something insanely dumb like an aquarium air pump.

>air cooling

Get with the times man.

Because it works with out it being to crazy like this

Can't we use liquid azote or some shit

Have fun with upgrades and that is not a labtop

I'd like to see a laptop with a very small motherboard towards the top, close to the beginning of the screen, batteries under the palm rests and the rest being one massive fucking copper heatsink with 2 huge fans moving a lot of air very quietly.

You're going to need refills for that every so often.

Forced air convection and fins work pretty well for lots of things in industry. It's basically the only way to keep it light.

batteries to the side so the huge fans can cool the too.

Compute in tundra.

Remove the fans and swap the copper for aluminum

You just invented the Macbook Air

Would you like a job mate?

>blowing cool hair

>batter dies on a laptop
>replacement battery is 1/3 of the price I paid for the laptop
>no two batteries are the same
>different fittings
>a lot of bootlegs
This should be regulated asap,imagine if every remote needed different kind of battery.

Why people care about performance on a laptop I'll never understand. They're not little desktops, and we learned that lesson after they stopped putting computers in briefcases and calling them "mobile."

A low power CPU like an x86 Atom, or some ARM chip, are more than what should be needed of a mobile computer.

and you've got companies like lenovo making laptops that won't boot without an official bettery

>mfw we still have overheating problems on laptops.

probably because most corporations don't care and don't want to spend money on. that's still not a good enough excuse or reason why we don't have better cooling for these computers.

>my reality must be everyone's reality

Why would a portable computer that runs on battery be fitted with devices that drain the battery worse than the alternatives? It's like having a car that leaks fuel from the tank so the headlights can be brighter.

As opposed to what? Anything else I can think of would be too expensive, impractical on a mobile computer, or both.

Because they want to compute on the go with performance better than utter shit. Doesn't have to be as powerful as a desktop, and very few are.

>fans on a mineral oil pc
wat

Keeps the liquid circulating fool

Wouldn't the heat just do that automatically with the liquid or no?

Not very efficiently, thermal updraft is really kinda light at the temperatures in computers, especially given the volume of heat.

>This should be regulated asap,imagine if every remote needed different kind of battery.

I generally don't like regulation at all - but one thing the fascist union did right was to demand that all the phone makers submit to the micro-USB for all charging ports. I can't say I miss the days where every single phone, even from the same manufacturer, had it's own unique charger.

If laptops actually had a standard battery and a standard interface for those then that'd be totally amazing. If one size doesn't fit all (it probably don't) then they could say mandate that they pick between three sizes, small medium and big batteries and use one of those standards. This wouldn't be that hard. Any slim CD or DVD drive will fit any laptop with a ODD bay, for example. It's not that hard to do.

I have two Lenovo laptops. Of course they have completely different battery packs even though those are almost the same size and shape. I'm fairly sure I won't be able to find a replacement anywhere when those wear out - and they will.

You are correct what I sohuld have said is unified interface,if nothing else they can make 3 different sizes considering the power requirement for the laptop and capacity as much as they want.
This is the thing that is stopping the industry to progress at this point,its not a laptop if I cant fucking buy battery anywhere now is it.
Its borderline criminal what manufactures are doing.

you can always buy yourself your very own chink/indian worker who's going to cool the radiator with his mouth

+Doesn't affect battery life
+Can be used to charge your battery on the go
+Can suck your dick on demand

-probably stinks
-is expensive

Macbook air has fan. You mean macbook

Macbook doesn't have this problem.

Maybe because

I don't need _a_lot_ of performance
but I still need some performance. I don't want to limit my use just because my oomputer is portable.

Besides laptops are often used as desktop replacements of a kind. Either to save space or to get the benefits of portability (it is easy to carry even the biggest 17" laptops if you just need to switch locations every now and then)

Yeah it just throttles to full stop.
t.someone who sold thiers

>It's like having a car that leaks fuel from the tank so the headlights can be brighter.

And just because you don't see a use for it, it doesn't mean everyone on the world doesn't as well.
God get out of your personal bubble for once.

>t.someone who sold thiers
Didn't know how to use it, eh?
Surprising how many people don't have the problem you describe.

This. That user needs to learn to buy stuff that others want that he doesn't.

This desu. I know that I would like to have a portable workstation laptop because I don't mind the weight and as far as the battery goes I can always find a port to plug in a power cable to charge my laptop.

>Surprising how many people don't have the problem you describe.
You seem to be delusional. Apple literally doesn't sell a product that doesn't throttle during usage.

Because 800MHz really isn't sufficient in 2017.

The reason we have overheating problems in laptops is because companies are focused more on making them thinner than making the cooling more efficient.

>something that was 5x more powerful than a full OS with multitasking, WYSIWYG office software, web access, etc. isn't sufficient now because...

Because...?

>Besides laptops are often used as desktop replacements of a kind

Though I do prefer to have a desktop at home myself others appear to prefer to just have a laptop. There are all kinds of reasons, desktops needing a dedicated place for them appears to a common one. You can fold that laptop up and put it in a drawer and now your desk is clean, no big screen and big box and keyboard there taking up space.

>Yeah it just throttles to full stop.
I too hate when they cheat by doing this. Looking at you Apple and Qualcomm (if you didn't know, they got upset when all their SOCs got bumped to the bottom of a few benchmarks when those started testing for more than a few seconds).

Adding proper cooling wouldn't cost that much, they just don't want that cost to cut into their massive profits.

>Because 800MHz really isn't sufficient in 2017.
That depends... Mobile phones get a few things right; any mobile phone made the last 5 years or so has h264 hardware decoding and encoding and h265 hardware decoding and I could easily go on about all the nice features that are totally standard on mobile phones but not on desktops. You're going to need a powerful CPU just to watch some video on the PC platform. I can't even watch h265 in 720p on my older laptop. Any $90 cellphone from China can do that with ease.

pic not related, it's umji

> desktops needing a dedicated place for them appears to a common one.
I do it because of this. I don't have a lot of space + I don't need a lot of computing power so I'd rather have a small machine that can be put away, even use accessories like a keyboard and a mouse to make usage more comfortable.

In addition to that, I need a laptop anyway in my field. So it might as well be my only main machine, then (I actually have another laptop that I use as a light server, leechbox etc)

>Because...?
Because requirements have gone up.

>any mobile phone made the last 5 years or so has h264 hardware decoding and encoding and h265 hardware decoding
Hardware h264 decoding has been available on Intel processors since Sandy Bridge and h265 from Skylake, so it's not like those are not available on desktops/laptops. Nvidia has had hardware h264 decoding since around about the 6600GT.

If anything it is unfair that you are comparing hardware features of different generations of processors. Your $90 Chinese phone still doesn't match a desktop/laptop processor clock for clock when it comes to pure performance, and that is fine because they are different power devices.

>A low power CPU like an x86 Atom, or some ARM chip, are more than what should be needed of a mobile computer.
tried that for almost 2 years, most of the times i can't work unless I'm online to corporate servers.
In the end I bought i7-7500u laptop and can do my work offline again.

> no fans needed

Were those pieces of hardware tiny little phone processors? If they weren't you missed the point.

>still throttles during heavy load

So a perfectly usable machine was not usable because of shitty software? And you blame the machine?

>o demand that all the phone makers submit to the micro-USB for all charging ports
Do you count applel?

> using a MacBook for heavy workloads

It's obviously marketed to certain groups of people. I'm just saying, the tech is getting there.

(you) ARE aware, right? that even "liquid cooled" relies on air circulation. Right?

Have ((you)) ever spent even 5 minutes thinking about "What is heat transfer?"

I'll bet (((you))) are going to lecture me about refrigerators without even reading the above for comprehension, too.

there are heavy workloads and heavy workloads, fucktard.
If you attempt to play gaymes on it it will immediately throttle. Yes, this is an issue and apple should recall all sold units and fix them.
>to certain groups of people
aka. fedora wearing faggots and tech illiterates (rich or poor, doesn't matter)

In some ways this is probably not a good idea.

One of the biggest problems in the industry atm is power performance, forcing people to regulate their batteries means there won't be advances in a critical problem. Or at least not as quickly.

> trying to play games on a MacBook

Seriously, that's your argument? You're the fucktard here.

It's marketed as a Facebook machine and for people who do a bunch of cloud shit I.e. Not very intensive local programs. Of course it's going to throttle under games. It's not designed for that.

>it doesn't play might high intensity cpu games on high without throttling!
>so that means the people who buy it for a light weight machine to take it to class and take notes, or use it as a portable electronic writing and communication device are stupid!
its an overly expensive machine but your point is fuckin retarded.

Best answer.

there are people playing games on smartphones, you know.
smartphones with less computing power than this fagbook.
What a bunch of retards, right?

If it's not designed for heavy loads then they should've used CPU with lower TDP, or they should inform their clients that this PoS wannabe netbook shouldn't be used too heavy or it's going to melt steel beams.
Seriously, you're this fucking dumb to defend applel.

it's physics
the heat has to go somewhere, where else can you put it besides air?

maybe in the future there'll be a way to completely convert the heat and store it, but i don't see radiating it out into the air disappearing any time soon

my 486SX50 laptop didn't have or need a fan, either
hell, it didn't even have a cpu heatsink

You're not comparing flappy birds to doom are you?

Would mineral oil be a fine replacement for coolant in closed loops if one was afraid of leaks?

Applel is an interesting hardware manufacturer. They get to choose between doing their own thing and facing fines from the fascist union or submitting to their demand for using the standard. Apparently Applel makes so much money on their products that they don't care.

I don't think regulating the size and connector of a battery would be the end of progress. You'd still be able to use whatever you feel like to make the battery.

Regardless, I just find it a bit annoying that two basically identical laptops from the same brand have almost identical batteries with just a minor twist to make it impossible to easily switch.

It wouldn't be the end of progress, but it would shut a lot of things down. Right now there's attempts at making it smaller while keeping the same power, or making it lighter weight and such. Things that directly have impact on the shape and style of the battery are being changed to make it more efficient. While having a universal battery is great for the consumer, its bad for progress. The universal standard is typically quite a bit worse than the best, and in fields where its a big deal (Such as battery life) this isn't something we should be looking at imo.

>While having a universal battery is great for the consumer, its bad for progress.

At what point does progress become "great" for the consumer then? How much money do we have to be robbed of before we get some benefit?

Also if standard battery sizes are bad for progress, how do you explain the increasing capacity of AA and other standard battery sizes?

Yes and companies use cheap cooling on purpose to maximise thermal throttling and battery life.

Typical batteries on laptops can only output about 50-60 Wh so a high performance 140W TDP CPUs and 300W GPUs are a no-go unless you want everyone crying about 10 minute battery lives assuming proper air cooling was used. This is all ignoring how hideous and bulky all this would make laptops look and completely remove their most sought after feature: portability.

Anyway stick to desktop computers if you want performance and remote into them if you need their performance on the go through your laptop.

Well yeah, one can't just stop using software that he needs for his job because of his hardware.

>when does progress become great for the consumer
whenever you buy a laptop that uses a different battery with better lifespan.
you just also have to buy an extra cord for $20.

>how do you explain increased capacity of AA and other standard battery sizes
I said it's not the end of progress, it just decreases it. There are far better options than AA or the other standards, but those are the standards so people force themselves to work with it even though its inferior.
Its not a bad thing, just a different mindset. And considering the critical issue that is batteries atm, I just don't think we should be tying it down to an inefficient standard until we get something a bit better.

Whatever way you spin it.
Heat has to be transferred from the computer to something that can absorb all that heat hour after hour, and ambient air is usually the only option.

>> no fans needed

Yeah, just needs to be placed in a tray of water to prevent throttling.
And don't forget to constantly replace the water as it heats up.

youtube.com/watch?v=9DyUitTVWlw

>Remove battery
>Ooen it
>Change the 18560 battieries inside
>Close it
>Good for 2 years more

Planned obsolescence, look at HP for example.

Well, some of them don't have 18650 because MUH THINNESS

>"buy" fancy energizer lithium batteries
>put some in my universal remote
>that was in 2006
>remote still using the same batteries
>nowadays only works on the old tv i use for old video games
>the "universal" remote became obsolete before the batteries died
welp

Well the heat has to moved into the environment eventually, the best way to do this is to move it into a a heatsink/radiator using conduction and convection in heat pipes/ pumping water. Spreading the thermal energy over a larger surface area improves how quickly it dissipates into the environment. Using a fan to blow the air across the heatsink improves things as it stops air around the heatsink heating up too much and decreasing the temperature gradient and hence the rate of dissipation.

The materials used to build heatsinks and and radiators, and the cooling fluid used in heat pipes and liquid coolers may improve, but the basic formula won't really change.

Peltier coolers only make sense if you want to cool something below ambient temperature.

techspot.com/news/62361-surface-pro-4-hybrid-liquid-cooling-system.html

>regular heatpipe
>liquid cooling
That was so disappointing. It is quite interesting that they move heat from CPU to the battery though.

eh I mean considering the price and compactness its nice that they innovated at all.

Is there not liquid in those copper pipes?

I don't really see much innovation there though. It's regular air cooler combined with a passive cooling plate. Maybe the plate was somehow special, but that shit clickbait-tier article didn't really mention it.

most coolers are just a solid pipe with no liquid

What? Maybe very cheap coolers do have solid pipes, but the heatpipes have been around since 70s and started being used in electronics in 80s.

Yeah it's called vapor chamber my surface uses them

Yeah it's called the Alienware r4 and Inspiron 15 7000

>still didn't came up with something better than blowing cool hair in your laptop

Well we're still using transistor technology which is from the fucking 40's.

Not true for Alienware r4

all the worthwhile engineers are designing data centers

Most battery controllers will kill themselves if batteries are changed as a security feature

>Is this really the most effective cooling method

Yes, you fucking retard. Kill yourself.

Confirmed for being unemployed

>its 2017 and laptops still have worse screens than super cheap chink phones
>Its 2017 and laptops still use mechanical disks
>Its 2017 and laptops still have less than 3 hours of battery

I have a 2010 Thinkpad and only one of these is true.

>most coolers are just a solid pipe with no liquid

No they're not.

Heat pipes/chambers are always hollow and contain a small amount of liquid that evaporates at the hot end and condenses at the cold end.
With some wadding to make the liquid return to the hot end.

A solid rod of copper wouldn't transfer much heat at all.

The surface pro's cooling system is nothing special.

>It's 2017 and people still buy the cheapest crap available instead of investing a little more to get something infinitely more nice.

>The surface pro's cooling system is nothing special.
i think you meant to say "exactly the same as any laptop"

it was interesting when someone put them in a phone, but i'd expect to see them in tablet pc's

They're making it more and more like a laptop.
Because tablets are dumb.