My friend wants help building a new pc for decent performance / good value gaming

my friend wants help building a new pc for decent performance / good value gaming

something along these lines
Ryzen 1500x
GTX 1060
8GB ram
probably B350 motherboard
~600W power supply (probably more than necessary but leaves a bit of breathing room)

any comments? share your wisdom please. Also, is there an easy way to find out how many pci-e slots a graphics card will block on a motherboard?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0tfTZjugDeg
golem.de/news/ram-overclocking-getestet-ryzen-profitiert-von-ddr4-3200-und-dual-rank-1704-127262.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Probably go amd for graphics too?

Think there are bugs atm using nvidia cards crippling Ryzen performance

R5 1600 and RX480 over GTX1060 and you're good to go.

ITs not Ryzen bugging, Nvidia has shit tier DX12 drivers

You need to switch to the cheapest RX480 OP AMD crimson drivers are WAY fucking better. You will have a better over all user experience.

How do i know? I own a GTX 1070 and Geforce sucks crusty asshole.

Also watch this video on Ryzen DX12 perofrmance

youtube.com/watch?v=0tfTZjugDeg

thanks/sorry, don't come here much

>R5 1600
mmm don't think she needs 6 cores

thanks guys I'll look into it
thanks

I'd go for the R5 1600 instead of the R5 1500x because 4 cores is cutting it too close. Even the 7700K (much faster per core than the 1500X) is starting to choke in some situations, like BF 1 multiplayer, even without background tasks running. Don't forget to overclock the R5 1600 to whatever frequency it can manage while sticking to around 1.35V.

On the graphics card front, the GTX 1600 is fine, but you could consider the RX 480 or RX 580 instead if expect the balance of games to shift towards Vulkan/DX12 instead of DX11. The Zen/nVidia combo seems to have some driver/optimization issues in DX12 games.

Lastly on the RAM front, don't cheap out on low clocked ones. Doesn't have to be as high as 3200Mhz (though it probably should), but make sure not to get 2133Mhz crap or you'll significantly hamper your performance.

Buy an Xbox scorpio.

6 cores may not be a necessity, but it will have longevity.
Plus you can run a game and keep your browsers and other programs open in the background.

no overclocking
she's not a heavy gamer
just planning on playing tekken 7 when it comes out, and leaving room for playing more/better games if she feels like it

>Lastly on the RAM front, don't cheap out on low clocked ones. Doesn't have to be as high as 3200Mhz (though it probably should), but make sure not to get 2133Mhz crap or you'll significantly hamper your performance.

last I heard, higher frequency ram often comes with higher latency, so the net difference is minimal. anyone know what the deal is?

You would be surprised. If she ever wants to record and edit videos for youtube or use any creative software suite or live-stream her games on a site like twitch then those 6-core/12-threads will be a massive upgrade.

guys did hardware tests streaming games at 1080p in windows for a twitch scenario and saw the 1600 doing flawless 55-60fps with very few hangups while the i5-7600k was completely shitting the bed. a 4core/8thread Ryzen will only be marginally better.

Remember most games user 4 cores. You want 6 cores because you can offload system tasks and other programs running in the background to those last 2 cores and keep the pipeline for your game running smooth without interruptions.

Food for thought. But as a man who has used intel/AMD on the CPU side and Nvidia/AMD on the GPU side if your building an entry level computer today and you only need GPU power for 1080p/60fps then a Ryzen 4-6core and an RX 470/480 is the way to go. Intel/Nvidia canot match them on price/performance right now.

CAS is a meme. Ryzen has a significantly different memory system from Intel and it gets a massive boost from faster ram.

I reccomend at least 2666mhz and Ideally 2993mhz. If your willing to update your BIOS and try for a stable 3200mhz OC on your Ram then that is the pinnacle for the consumer b350 boards.

I think someone managed stable 3600mhz on their AM4 platform but I cannot replicate it.

Latency != Bandwidth

>last I heard, higher frequency ram often comes with higher latency,
Partly. Frequency can trump latency. as long as you get the lowest cas ram for that speed you're good.
You can go up a cas latency +3 should it be significantly cheaper.
1.) Look at prices from highest frequency to lowest till you find the RAM in your budget.
2.) find the RAM with the lowest cas in that frequency-price-range
3.) ????
4.) Get the pussy b0ss

interesting, i'll look into it. no overclocking though

thanks I'll consider the 1600, also the 480. according to passmark and a few other benchmarks, the cheapest 1060 is slightly faster than 480 and slightly more expensive

>If she ever wants to record and edit videos for youtube or use any creative software suite or live-stream her games
none of that thank you.

the 580 comes out in like 2 days. Yes it's better. Same price range. Unless they're dumping 480's cheap.

I think boost clocks on the 580 are 1340. Also they used a slighter different process so the Overclocking is noticably better.

Im hearing 580's can hit 1540mhz easy on air cooling and at that level they match the Fury Nano.

Yes.
Overclocking a GPU is stupid easy. Pic related.
It's a few slider bars.
Takes about an hour do do it haphazerdly.
No you can't break the card by doing this.
Do it for her for extra potential getting your dick wet.
Jayz two centz or whatever has a youtube guide to it.

There's a lot of extra FPS to get from doing it. Only case to not do it, if she games 24/7 and can barely afford to pay power bills as is.

Passmark isn't a benchmark, you dumb fuck. It's like thetans for gpu

>It's like thetans
You raggin my rig brah?
Also me. 71Hz OC'd monitor. FTW.

fair enough, thanks
why does it say your gtx 1060 has 2gb? usually its 3 or 6

SORRY!

Don't be rude user.

Passmark is shit though

Speccy an updated shit. I only have it installed because of here. It's the 6gb card.
Oh, and it displays you storage's SMART data. So you can tell if a drive is failing early.

>early
SMART only goes off when the drive is ticking down to flavor town

I mean I can open speccy to see the SMART values.
so if something's fucky I may catch it early.

Got a question

Anyone have ryzen benchmarks for 2400 and 3200 in the same chart? I am getting a 1700 but i'm still hung up on the ram, I can get 32gb at guaranteed 2400 for 200$ or I can roll dice on a future bios letting 3200 for 340$ clock up to max.

I kind of want to save the money now and use it to buy faster ram when all the dust settles, but am hesitant due to the potential performance loss.

This article (if you don't speak Nazi, use google translate) golem.de/news/ram-overclocking-getestet-ryzen-profitiert-von-ddr4-3200-und-dual-rank-1704-127262.html suggests that dual rank 2677Mhz is very close to single rank 3200Mhz in performance. If you can get dual rank 2400Mhz for cheap you should consider it, but I'd advise against single rank low clocked RAM on Ryzen.

>that graph
Look, I can make deceiving graphs, too. Fucking marketing.