The tornadoes season started in the US, how do manage to live with tornadoes every year?

The tornadoes season started in the US, how do manage to live with tornadoes every year?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_tornadoes_and_tornado_outbreaks
stormeyes.org/tornado/spencer/
youtube.com/watch?v=QZOowedYHq8
youtube.com/watch?v=mXPV-Tihl7A
youtube.com/watch?v=NcL3LuAT1xE
usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18381078-7-children-found-dead-at-oklahoma-school-wrecked-by-tornado-officials-say?lite
youtube.com/watch?v=bjb7QtMEBUg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't live in a flyover state so it doesn't effect me.

i have none where i live :D

>not even a fire tornado

nice entry level tornado you got here

>how do you manage

every few years we might get a dangerous one, but maybe every other year smaller ones that touch down in the middle of nowhere

pretty much the same as living in hurricane prone areas

also, they're beautiful. tornado season is the shit

I stand outside during tornadoes. They only affect poor people, so I'm immune

Are there any places in Europe that are prone to tornadoes? I only really hear about them in the US

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_tornadoes_and_tornado_outbreaks

Why the fuck would anyone live in the tornado alley?

It's unfortunate that people's homes and lives are ended by tornadoes, but it's a great rush to be in the vicinity of one. I can see why people become storm chasers.

We're all too poor to move

>In the US

We have them too you know. One of the biggest ever in North America totally rekt a town not too far from me back in 2007

I'd like to desu. Tornadoes are fun.

never saw a tornado in Quebec

for our land area, uk has the highest density of tornadoes i think. it's quite strange to think but in reality they are all tiny and low strength. 10 years ago there was a fairly powerful one in London that caused a lot of damage

I live in the northern part of tornado valley. We used to get 3-6 tornado warnings and 12+ tornado watch days a year. in the past 2-4 years we haven't had a single tornado warning. it's crazy, they used to be quite consistent, but now I only hear the sirens because they test them once a month.

but I've personally had pretty good luck with tornadoes desu. I've seen 2 tornadoes on the ground and about a dozen active funnel clouds in my life but I've never been in actual danger. hell, I don't know anyone who's lost anything more than some crops and a shed to a tornado. although I do remember this one and it was pretty terrifying at the time since the storm was heading our way
stormeyes.org/tornado/spencer/

An F5 tornado destroyed a neighborhood and high school about 3 miles from my house, but it was in 1957 so I kind of missed it by a few decades. Other than that it's been rather calm.

By not living in tornado alley like some kind of suicidal weirdo.

Some from Italy
youtube.com/watch?v=QZOowedYHq8
youtube.com/watch?v=mXPV-Tihl7A
youtube.com/watch?v=NcL3LuAT1xE

America is huge. Tornadoes happen often but the chances of ever being hit by one are astronomically low. There are plenty of 200+ year old houses here in oklahoma. Its a nice place and the fucking huge storms that blow through are pretty neat to experience.

Iowa here. We've had a couple close calls where I live, one destroyed a farm last year and another leveled a neighborhood in the next town over, but keep in mind there aren't all that many tornadoes across the midwest every year, and they only usually destroy things for a few miles. For an area covering thousands of square miles, chances are pretty low you'll have your shit pushed in by a tornado. Low population density is also a big part of it; even if a town gets hit, it's probably a town of 500 people and the only settlement for at least 20 miles.

That said, when the sky turns black at midday and the weather sirens go off, I still get spooked.

yeah, I'll never be comfortable when the sky turns that greenish color

it's weird, I've literally never been in the path of a tornado, but tornado warnings still scare the shit out of me.

Just make sure the tornado doesn't hear you say racist comments.

DESIGNATED TORNADO SEASON

In case you haven't read it yet :3

>this guy was never caught

It's not all bad.

Ive never been in a natural disaster
whats it like?

>Tornado warning
>heavy rainstorm
>possibly large hail
>sirens blare
>15 minutes max warning time
>sound like a freight train outside your door
>cars slide around or maybe carried away
>tree limbs split
>windows implode
>building buckles or sways
>wake up in technicolor
>house on top of witch
>midgets singing everything

Pretty bad.

t. live in Detroit

How many states in the US actually live with this Damoclès sword upon their head?

The middle third of the country lies roughly in Tornado alley.

It's mostly Oklahoma getting hammered in populated areas.

Wow ok, pretty much the half of the country.
How often these hurricanes happen?

>confusing hurricanes with tornadoes

Not sure if bait or you're really that retarded

because the arch protects me

>hurricanes
Oh lord no. You can see hurricanes coming for a week in advance. A tornado could develop in fifteen minutes.
>How often
It's hard to tell, we don't even bother counting the small ones.

Well, call me a retard, but I was confusing.
There are no tornadoes or hurricanes here.
Sorry about that.

>A tornado could develop in fifteen minutes
>What

Why not? You have like several thousand times bigger chance of getting ran over by a car than being hit by a tornado. I might as well ask you why the fuck would anyone live in Canada with those forest fires and shit around.

t. not even a tornado alley resident

Well, you'd know that conditions were favorable for a tornado, but... yeah. It could be a regular day and then the sky gets VERY dark all of a sudden. Everything goes quiet, the proverbial calm before the storm. Then heavy rain, thunder and lightning, sometimes hail. If the wind starts blowing hard one way and then the other, you've got about 10 minutes to get in the cellar or at least under a doorframe.
It's just how we roll here in the flyover states.

I live deep in the rockies. Tornadoes, hurricanes, HIV, etc that's all for the retards who live in lower elevations.
They deserve what they get for living in flat land

How often it happen? Do you live in fear?

At least we never have to resort to cannibalism.

>tfw New York
All we have to worry about are noreasters and hurricanes.

>HIV,
You just have to protect yourself with some pork gut.

Pretty sure most AIDS faggots in the flyover states get it through heroin needles.

>sharing heroin needles
Fucking plebs, good thing I live in glorious colorado and can just go buy a 10 pack at my local pharmacy for a dollar and 25 cents

Ugh, you're unfortunately, right.

>How often it happen?
Out in the prairie, I'd say they probably get 3-5 scary ones per year. Here in the suburbs maybe once every two years there's a storm that could get rough. Last summer we had one that wasn't even a tornado but it snapped a good sized limb off my neighbor's tree, lifted it up 12 feet and deposited it neatly on my back deck, a good 75 feet away.
>Do you live in fear?
Pssh. No, it's just something you plan for. If you live by the beach you learn how to swim. If you live in tornado town you don't even get out of bed for anything less than a F3.

most of Tornado Alley is cropland and nothing

once every 5 years or so one hits a town somewhere in the country, and maybe 20 people die. as far as I remember Joplin, MO was the last big one to hit a town and that was a few years ago

We get tornado warnings, when the weather is favorable for tornadoes to form, long in advance. When a tornado is sighted, it becomes a tornado watch and they sound the sirens. This is your queue to move to a closet or safe area with plenty of metal pipes in the wall away from a window. Some people have storm cellars built. Tornadoes usually take the path of least resistance so low lying valleys are particularly vulnerable.

Thanks for the description lad, it's interesting.
>If you live by the beach you learn how to swim
Ha ha, like how you said it. Well, how do you "protect" from a serious tornadoe?

Building a shelter and insuring your house.

You don't, if it happens oh well.
It's not like anything of value was lost.

The light orange parts don't really get very dangerous tornadoes though especially in populated areas, so I don't think they count

>how do you "protect" from a serious tornado
If one was coming directly for my house, I would get my bug out bag and camp out in the basement with a weather radio on until the all-clear sounds.
If my house was flattened and I was trapped I would call the local fire department to tell them I'm fine and they can come dig me out when they're done saving lives.

Um they can appear much faster than that. You can look at the clouds and tell if it's going to do it but really they can already start causing damage in 5 minutes and pretty much be complete in 8 minutes.

People often die in their sleep without even hearing a tornado. They die on their beds impaled by shrapnel. Fortunately for the family, Americans are too heavy for the tornado to actually move so finding bodies is easy.

Whoa man, that's old shit.
By contrast the midwest still sucks in modern times.

We had to do tornado drills in school, and occasionally a tornado warning pops up

But to be fair I've literally never seen a tornado.

Why the hell are plain states called midwest? That term should be limited to the Great Lakes.

>Have a dream about a giant tornado coming.
>Sirens start going off.

>once every 5 years or so one hits a town somewhere
This is false. Tornadoes go through small towns all the time, but they're usually not F5 and heavy damage is minimal.

>tornado drills in school
It's like japaneses, they have seism/tsunami teach in school. Where, in the USA, is the tornadoes risk?

Be sure to add scuba gear to your bug out bag m8.
usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18381078-7-children-found-dead-at-oklahoma-school-wrecked-by-tornado-officials-say?lite

>Where, in the USA, is the tornadoes risk?
In theory one could hit anywhere. In practice, mostly pic related.

I should to visit the west of the US, then.
Good map btw.

To be honest you'd probably want to avoid the red areas even if there weren't any tornadoes at all.

The northwesterly cold air coming in from over the rocky mountains meets up with the warm air from the gulf of Mexico. Canada and Mexico are 100% responsible and should give reparations to tornado damaged areas. I think it is only fair.

>Build the damn wall!

Live on east coast, you'd pretty much never seen a tornado here. You'd definitely never see one in winter. You might hear about one in late summer, but you'd be incredibly unlikely to see one. They're not as common as you think

I see funnel clouds (Tornadoes that arn't touching the ground) sometimes near Miami. People just aren't too worried, even though we don't have any basements due to being at sea level.

It you have the bad luck to be caught in one there are tips to surviving them
1: Go to a basement, the wind can blow down the upper house easilly, but it has problems reaching the basement
2: If you dont have a basement, lie in a tub and put a matress above you.
3: if you're skydiving, wait untill it dies down before opening your parachute, it could get torne
4: If you're out in the fields, try to get away, go the way it's not headed, if you cant, lye down to not let the wind get under you.

>if you're skydiving, wait untill it dies down before opening your parachute, it could get torne

>straight guys only no gay stuff

You buy lots of kites.

youtube.com/watch?v=bjb7QtMEBUg

Is this a big tornado by American standards?