This is why Linux will NEVER be my main OS

Opening two browser windows
When a video (every video) played in one window scrolling laggs extremely bad in the other one
regardless of GPU and or GPU drivers
regardless what browser you use
>every gnu ever

Other urls found in this thread:

stratigery.com/msft.shilling.html
cosmicpenguin.com/linux/MICROSOFTS_WAR_AGAINST_LINUX.html
furiousfanboys.com/2013/06/microsoft-caught-astroturfing-reddit-to-praise-xbox-one/
techrights.org/2007/11/23/astroturfing-microsoft-examples/
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
peppercarrot.com/
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

not on my machine, faggot

how about upgrading from that pentium 4 you got

Why don't you try fixing the problem instead of claiming that this user specific issue impacts everyone? Freedom aint free, cuck.

I got
i7 6700k @4,5GHz
GTX1080 FE
32GB DDR4 2133MHz

FUCK YOU

can literally stream a 720p60FPS video on my shitty netbook with a core m3 4GB RAM running ubuntu and experience no lag whatsoever.

for example
clean install of xubuntu

tried on main desktop
tried on notebook
tried on mac mini

the same problem everywhere

>not on my machine
This is why Linux will NEVER be my main OS
the community is shit

Don't get me wrong
The video runs fine
the other browser window is affected

what browser? use ungoogled chromium.

We don't give a fuck, faggot. GNU/Linux has enough users, don't feel like you're special.

>xubuntu

That's your problem.

So instead of filing a bug you decided to shitpost on Sup Forums

FreeBSD doesn't have this problem.

I used
>firefox
>chromium
>ungoogled chromium
>Google chrome
>opera
>midori
Read before you post mate
I tried many ubuntu versions
I tried arch
I tried gentoo
I tried debian
Damn I even tried opensuse
Way to much work to file a bug for every gnu and every browser I could find
this one I didn't try yet

I'll just stick with superior win10 education

works on my machine, faggot

I'm even using amd

>Opening two browser windows
Stopped reading
incompetente fgt
Kys

Why are you a poorfag and can't afford a dualscreen setup?

>watching video in the web browser
Found your problem. Stream it through mpv like a real man instead.

Kys fgt

>Way to much work to file a bug for every gnu and every browser I could find

Well if you have this bug in every distro and every browser so the issue must be with some piece of software that all of these projects share.

That being said you could have just filed a bug on launchpad and tagged it with 'Ubuntu'. They have engineering managers who's job is to assign bugs to proper projects and if it's important enough assign it to someone to fix it.

Just tested it with this and I couldn't recreate the problem.

Software:
>Chromium
>i3
>x11
>xf86-video-amdgpu
>mesa-libgl
>Arch Linux

Hardware:
>R7 1800X
>2x RX 480 4GB
>32GB 2400 MHz

The guy insists the problem is global, people point out that, no, it isn't, and we're the problem? Why doesn't OP stop being the actual problem and report it in the appropriate place?

>have you tried turning it off and on again?
>have you tried searching the forum? here's 5 links that are completely unrelated to your issue outside of the 2 keywords I spent 5 seconds searching for
>locked thread for duplicate. you have been warned. [linked thread was unresolved]
>I solved this issue by reinstalling the drivers for this niche piece of hardware that you don't have
>you can't disable this 'feature', it's built into windows, but for my use case it's not an issue so why are you complaining
>nvm fixed
>I fixed this issue by buying something else
>have you tried reinstalling windows?
>this is fixed in windows 10 [issue is not fixed and several more issues present themselves]
>I've pmed you the answer

this is why windows will NEVER be my main OS, the community is shit

>60FPS video

what a cool thread, this op is very wise and not a fag at all

Maybe if you knew how to use Linux and properly troubleshoot you wouldn't have this issue

>he fell for the 32Gb ram

You using youtube's own video player?

Because I do not experience this issue when using the Play-With-MPV firefox addon.

+ App didn't start within time
Searched ms website
>check your time settings

You know with these parts, it is no wonder you have trouble. That doesn't speak for linux if I say "duh, that grafikkks-card is not supported so well" or "well linux won't handle your parts without good drivers"... but I still love linux.

Never seen this issue on any combination of hardware and Linux distros.

OP is either a gigantic faggot or a gigantic faggot and a liar.

My money is on the latter.

Also probably computer illiterate.

>Presented an argument that it isn't a universal issue and may be a config/hardware problem specific to one computer
>"f-fuck you and your OS that works right for you"

I can screenrecord 2 browser firefox windows tiled side by side, youtube normal mode and this page. I can toggle youtube fullscreen and alt tab to the other window. Scrolling is normal the whole time.
>Only problem is the screencast webm is 23mb.
amd A10 / 8g ram / linux mint

>good components
>on linux
no wonder. linux is made for poor niggers who can't upgrade from old shit.

I don't have those problems, playing 1080p videos on YT and scrolling on other window is just fine. I use Debian and Cinnamon DE.
Also I have a 3770k and a Titan X Pascal, which makes me think your GPU is a piece of shit :^)

Install Solus

KEK, so according to you the community has any relation with popularity? by this logic no one would be playing games on windows, have you ever seen how the "pc master race" behaves?. You can literally sell shit to people at premium price as long is properly advertised or as long is bundled with the hardware. Android just surpassed windows's marketshare and it uses a lot of open source components inscluding the linux kernel. Also don't need to be hypocritical, microshills keeps saying that windows "just works" but when someone points at a fault on windows they will attack you immediately, and don't even try to criticize microsoft. They'll call you names, try to sell the lack of features in their OS as features and as revenge for not being able to push their opinions on you they'll create smear threads like this one. Windows has practically a monopoly but not thanks to their community being good, but thanks to both deals with retailers and anti competitive practices like lock-ins.

Here's why Linux will never be my main OS:

>Have 2 machines
>Want to do some file sharing
>Can't just turn on file sharing in a couple of clicks, that can be easily used by having an account with the same credentials on both

>Lack of games, even some indiefaggotry is being released for windows only

>Lack of decent music players, everything is just that nincompoop shit or players with terrible interfaces that can't organize a music library by themselves

>Tearing in quite a few DEs, that has to be fixed every fucking time (or worse, when you don't get tearing on the desktop, you think you fixed the problem, but then you open Chromium and see you have the same problem there)

>Not one polished DE that includes nice features (or some of those are addons that crash whenever there's some software that doesn't like it, like LibreOffice)

>Speaking of LibreOffice, no decent office suites

>Asking me to use my admin password to the point that it becomes more annoying than Vista

>Lack of decent /gd/ software, Krita is not good enough to be a substitute

>Mouse acceleration works differently depending on what flavor of desktop you use and some DEs don't even have a setting to disable it completely

>No decent google drive client

>Terrible multimonitor support with my X220, I just wanted lightDM to show correctly on one monitor but nah, that login window just fucks off somewhere else

It's just enough to be irritating

>regardless of GPU and or GPU drivers
Don't have that problem with Intel or Nvidia here.

>running lincucks on modern hardware
Try again in 4-5 years and it might run ok.

>Linux is only free if your time is useless
Which explains the terminal number of neckbeards that use it and have all day to tinker with it and make it actually fucking work properly.

>Install windows 10
>No network drivers so need to use another computer to get the drivers.
>Update takes forever.
>Install the drivers from windows update.
>No sound.
>Search the driver from the manufacturer's site.
>Ok, no problem.
>Suspiciously high storage drive usage.
>Processes using high amount of resources for no reason.
>Forced updates, give up trying to customize it because the updates sets the defaults again.
>No more possibility to know what are the updates about.
>Error messages are not useful.
>Must uninstall crap often but gets installed again.
>Cannot disable cortana.
>Pretty obvious i don't control my OS.
>Read MS privacy statement.
>Fuck this shit.
>Install windows 7.
>No drivers, must hunt them this time.
>mfw i read that MS is issuing updates that backports W1's bullshit to windows 7.
>mfw i must use third party programs and be careful with the updates to protect myself from my own software provider.

>At some moment got interested into looking for other software providers.
>Don't want to buy hardware and hackingtosh seems a fucking hassle so don't care about apple for the moment.
>Download ubuntu mate installation media.
>Try to boot but get black screen.
>Literally first google result tells me how to start with nomodeset and how to install the proprietary nvidia drivers.
>Proceed to install.
>reboot.
>Start again with nomodeset.
>Update OS (extremely fast compared to windows) and install nvidia drivers from a GUI.
>reboot.
>mfw everything works, no need to search for drivers.
>discovers dolphin, youtube-dl, clementine, playonlinux, kdenlive, krita, etc.
>Comfy as fuck.
>Discover my previous MS office documents don't work fine always.
>Read about the problem and discovers MS issued an standard they don't respect and no one know how it got approved something like that.
>Around half of my steam games are not avilable on linux.
>Read about it and discover how closed technologies can work as lock-in mechanism.
>mfw going back to windows would be like begging to be mistreated.
>mfw i would be actively supporting to make worse this situation.
>nope
>Use my computer normally but try to save my documents in open formats when possible to avoid being locked out from them and try to reward those developers who uses a multi-platform approach.

Seriously, if i put on a balance the pros and cons of windows and Linux, Linux always wins. Windows has in general given me a lot more of trouble than what it benefits me, and that's just the purely technical aspects, if you have compatible hardware Linux is practically maintenance-free, even installing the few proprietary drivers i need can be done from a GUI directly in the OS and i can keep them updated always from an official source.

Aside from the purely technical aspect i consider a serious disadvantage knowing that if i depend on a Windows-only program is like being married with windows because i don't have the option to abandon it but at the same time i must like whatever Microsoft wants to do with me. Seems a pretty asymmetrical deal to me and more considering Microsoft has a very bad record on being unethical.

Honestly i only use Windows when there's absolutely no option due to a lock-in situation or because i'm asked at work to use a Microsoft-only technology (this is less common each day fortunately) but otherwise i avoid it. No OS is perfect of course and i can't talk about OSX but i'm 1000 times more willing to forgive an honest mistake, for example a bug or the lack of a feature dues to lack of human resources, than something pushed on me on purpose.

What is with these threads recently? Is the NSA in full-on damage control after the recent leaks?

Probably, i don't know about apple but microsoft has a large record on using dirty tactics to smear their competitors so it's not hard for me to imagine that these threads comes from actually paid people.

stratigery.com/msft.shilling.html
cosmicpenguin.com/linux/MICROSOFTS_WAR_AGAINST_LINUX.html
furiousfanboys.com/2013/06/microsoft-caught-astroturfing-reddit-to-praise-xbox-one/
techrights.org/2007/11/23/astroturfing-microsoft-examples/

dude i can just install debian/ubuntu/arch and werks better than win

my laptop cant even sleep under windows :D
i5 4210u
8GB ddr3
geforce 820m (i dont use it because dota runs 60fps with integrated gpu)

>no network, no sound on windows 10
What kind of snowflake computer are you using? If something, it's kind of annoying that w10 decides to install those automatically in case there's a better version

>Suspiciously high storage drive usage
most likely winsxs which IIRC people actually complained about having removed after creator's update (as if it's not a problem already that it takes so much fucking storage). Also hibernation and virtual memory are enabled by default so take a wild guess.

>Processes using high amount of resources for no reason
You might have 1. telemetry fucking up or 2. high DPC latency caused by poor drivers

>Cannot disable Cortana
If you can hunt down for the EDU version, that has no cortana. But don't bother.

>mfw i read that MS is issuing updates that backports W1's bullshit to windows 7

Not nearly as bad as you think. The biggest problem were the forced upgrade to 10 updates, which don't work anymore since 10 isn't free anymore.

>Literally first google result tells me how to start with nomodeset and how to install the proprietary nvidia drivers.

That is more cumbersome than hunting down for drivers

>Use my computer normally but try to save my documents in open formats when possible

If you can get around using LibreOffice Write that's fine. I personally couldn't get paid to do it.

Microsoft IS unethical, but you can't always afford to make such decisions when there's some software you need working or when you can't get what you want to work because of an "honest mistake". If you can get around that, do so, but not everyone can afford to spend an evening making something work almost as good when they already had no issues on something like windows or macOS due to having just different hardware or needs.

>Can't just turn on file sharing in a couple of clicks, that can be easily used by having an account with the same credentials on both
pic related

The rest of your points are equally baseless. Have you even TRIED Unity?

OP here
Yep, that's it
I took a pc from my basement

specs:
Intel i3 2nd gen
geforce 210 GPU
8 GB DDR3

everything runs perfectly fine

At this point, linux as a desktop OS is dead to me.
linux servers without GUI run perfectly fine in my homelab

>didn't just use fedora

linux is a waste of time
kys gnu fags

I base a good number of those (like tearing and mouse accel issues) on the fact that I used Unity, specifically because Gnome would lag like a bitch, KDE would do the same if vsync was enabled, XFCE wouldn't suit my needs, MATE was the same and Cinnamon had a plethora of buggy applets (which was disappointing, I really liked that one).

Regarding this one, I couldn't get shit to work without some smb.conf editing.

Intel's drivers are shit on skylake+, and nvidia literally blocked driver development on 900+ for about a year, just releasing the needed binary blob some month ago

The post is pasta but my experience is similar.

>What kind of snowflake computer are you using?
Well, suprisingly windows doesn't "just work" isn't it? In fact where i work the sound driver stopped working after an update, go figure.

>most likely winsxs which IIRC people actually complained about having removed after creator's update (as if it's not a problem already that it takes so much fucking storage). Also hibernation and virtual memory are enabled by default so take a wild guess.
I noticed this too with all versions of windows, i don't use windows from some time ago tho.

>You might have 1. telemetry fucking up or 2. high DPC latency caused by poor drivers.
I don't know but resources usage was pretty shitty when i tried it.

>If you can hunt down for the EDU version, that has no cortana. But don't bother.
Yeah but not interested in this kind of workarounds anymore fortunately, i use the LTSB in a virtual machine now even though i have a genuine key.

>Not nearly as bad as you think. The biggest problem were the forced upgrade to 10 updates, which don't work anymore since 10 isn't free anymore.
Still pretty shitty.

>That is more cumbersome than hunting down for drivers.
My experience is similar, with very recent nvidia cards you may get a black screen if you don't use modeset but after installing that was the only problem i has, literally. In comparison windows was a hell.

>If you can get around using LibreOffice Write that's fine. I personally couldn't get paid to do it.
Well, i respect that but consider that the more documents you create with MSO the more Dependant you become, now i use solutions that works across platforms.

Holy shit, you clueless bastard, how did you even find your way to this board?

>Microsoft IS unethical, but you can't always afford to make such decisions when there's some software you need working or when you can't get what you want to work because of an "honest mistake".
If someone is obligated to use a product due to a lock in i'm not against that but i don't see the benefit for me if i already found software that works as good or better and doesn't screws with me.

>f you can get around that, do so, but not everyone can afford to spend an evening making something work almost as good when they already had no issues on something like windows or macOS due to having just different hardware or needs.
I never said everyone has the same requirements tho nor does the pasta, however it provides good arguments on why linux may be better for a lot of people.

Because this is just an smear thread i guess you wouldn't mind if i put some pasta here do you?
Kicad
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
Freecad Demo
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/

You do not understand how Windows works, at all.

Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE

What do you mean?

I find there are more than enough good games on Linux to occupy my free time. I played through Darkest Dungeon, the Witcher, XCOM: EU, Din's Curse, and I currently enjoy Heroes of Newerth (DOTA 2 but better), and of course Dwarf Fortress. I'm also getting into Chaos Reborn.

>Forced updates and Cortana
wrong edition of Windows 10
>Install the drivers from windows update
never do this
>Read MS privacy statement
Read more about the above 2 subjects instead, you haven't even figured out the basics yet

>wrong edition of Windows 10
then it's fine if the regular user is screwed?

>never do this
So if the version directed at the home users is the "wrong" versions and the integrated driver installer fails hard, this means that windows don't "just works"? i know no OS is perfect but other OSs fanboys tend to smear on competing OSs while overlooking the faults of their own ones and attacking those who dares to criticize their own, specially the windows users tend to do this.

>Read more about the above 2 subjects instead, you haven't even figured out the basics yet
elaborate please.