/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

imagefap.com/photo/[0-9]\ /'
api.usno.navy.mil/imagery/moon.png
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
perlmonks.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/arch_compared_to_other_distributions
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any linux related youtube channels worth checking?

Convince me why I should use Linux

doubt it, they all seem to be the same idiot who reviews point release distros that basically never change much

>today we will be taking a look at ubuntu 17.04
>up here we have the standard dock and programs
>video is 25 minutes long

don't

Has anyone see this before? My googling isn't bringing up anything helpful.

Trying to boot live cd and/or installation of Ubuntu Gnome 17.04, keep getting this.

I have ElementaryOS installed fine for the last few months.

There's literally no good reason unless you want to just experiment, be a special snowflake or make your computer less useful

What if I want to learn about how computers work and programming?

Can you go to recovery mode and install your graphic driver?

If you want posix with a package manager

What are some cool terminal commands?

Also rate: curl -s "$(curl -s "imagefap.com/random.php?search=anime tiddies" | grep -o 'imagefap.com/photo/[0-9]\ /' | shuf -n 1 )" | grep 'mainPhoto' | grep -Po '(?

re-writing the iso to the USB right now, I will try this if it happens again.

Can you do 3d animation in linux?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

blender

fc -l 1 | awk '{CMD[$2]++;count++;}END { for (a in CMD)print CMD[a] " " CMD[a]/count*100 "% " a;}' | grep -v "./" | column -c3 -s " " -t | sort -nr | nl | head -n20

there's no reason, it's simply cool
we are basically using linux for fun in our VMs
i recommend trying arch linux

>someone knows about and uses nl
I like you.

Yeah I recently discovered it along with shuf. Great tools.

Not really a command, but I recently discovered that you can double the speed of shell scripts when disabling unicode support by using:
export LC_ALL=C
When you sort and grep a lot, you get nice, fast results.

>nouveau shits itself
have you tried nonfree video drivers?

>grep 'mainPhoto' | grep -Po '(?

It doesn't work
>xargs: feh: no such file or directory

>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Friendly how? What's friendly about it? You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but friendly how, I mean friendly like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean friendly, friendly how? How is it friendly? You said it's friendly. How the fuck is it friendly, what the fuck is so friendly about linux? Tell me, tell me what's friendly!

install feh

\ (oo)\_______
(__)\ )\/\
||----w |
|| ||

Friendly means, instead of having fun of winbabbies for their cuckoldy, we help them to get uncucked.

\ @@@@ @@
\ @@@@ = = @@
\ @@@ @ _ _ @@
@@@ @(0)|(0) @@
@@@@ ~ | ~ @@
@@@ @ (o1o) @@
@@@ ####### @
@@@ ##{+++}## @@
@@@@@ ## ##### ## @@@@
@@@@@#############@@@@
@@@@@@@###########@@@@@@
@@@@@@@#############@@@@@
@@@@@@@### ## ### ###@@@@
@ @ @ @ @
@ @

see or use gsettings or whatever wallpaper setter your de uses

Holy shit. Divides the time grep -ri takes on kernel sources by 15. Incredible. Tempted to turn it into a global alias but then one day I'll probably need to grep for a unicode character and won't understand why it doesn't work.

>to get uncucked
when was the last time you watched a good movie. cuckboi?

Jupiter Broadcasting

Bryan Lunduke

curl -# api.usno.navy.mil/imagery/moon.png | convert -trim - /tmp/moon && feh --bg-center /tmp/moon

Pic updates ofc, url keeps the same.

>Lunduke
can't stand this guy
neat

:(){ :|: & };:
This makes your CPU usage more efficient.

lol, this is now my fb status

Not him but why?
Other than forcing you to reboot it does no harm to your machine

>non-friendly thread

fuck off retard

I'm not crazy about him either but he's popular and gets interviews with big league people because of it.

for((i=1;;i++)){ printf "%$(bc -l

feh do this directly
feh --bg-center api.usno.navy.mil/imagery/moon.png

Very nice.
Didn't know about that. Thanks.

feh can do remote?

redpill me on kernel upgrades

why would I ever risk breaking my system by upgrading the kernel?

unless there's an important performance upgrade, security patch or hardware compatibility update there's no reason to

>redpill
fuck off back to Sup Forumseddit

Because sometimes your kernel has bugs that let attackers take control of your kernel by sending you a simple udp packet.

it can, but must be prefixed with http www.something doesnt work

I would say because they refactor and improve existing code making it more stable and perform better, but I've heard people say this is rarely done and that some parts of the kernel are kind of hacky (even Linus himself admitted it).

Realistically only reasons is newer hardware support or adds a new feature you must have.

perl -e '$_+=.1,`sleep 0.05`,print $"x(25+20*sin).qq{|\n} while 1'

Alright boys, I need opinions here.

One of my workmates gave me his laptop because he complained about it being slow, so I tried installing Win7 Home Premium on it, but for whatever reason explorer crashes everytime I try to bring up the desktop. Poor thing has only 1 gig ram and an old single core intel CPU.
I tried checking out what Linux distros might make this thing salvageable.
I'm leaning towards Lubuntu, but honestly all I need is something that can run Wine for Office and firefox.

>boys
I'm a girl

Maybe related. I just upgraded to 4.9.22 today, rebooted and everything was fine. Shortly after that I installed enlightenment, when I logged out of xfce and into enlightenment I got a blank screen, couldn't access tty or anything and had to do a hard shutdown and when I rebooted It wouldn't even boot to the point that I couldn't even access tty. So I chrooted into it and removed enlightenment and all of the dependencies it pulled and booted into it and it was still fucked up. I just reinstalled and kept /home and am upgrading the kernel again at the moment. I'm curious, since it rebooted fine the first time I suspect that the kernel is fine. I just can't imagine how enlightenment would have fucked my install like that especially since it persisted after I removed it. Okay it's done, I'm going to reboot a couple of times. I'll report back.

Lubuntu isn't bad, but I'd recommend installing Ubuntu GNU/Linux instead. It's the very best babbies first distro.

>Wine for Office
Who forces you to use Office in 2017? I want to send hatemail.

how can I have printf ignore code indentation so that it all shows left justified?
printf "
words words
words words
words words"

>1 gig ram
>firefox

can firefox even run with 1gig of ram anymore?

First of all, that's not how to use printf. printf isn't echo, use its features, which is primary string formatting:

printf -- '%s\n' "$(somecommand)"

That said, what does the input look like and how should the output look like?

wanted to upgrade to 4.10 today

thank you for convincing me not to

sed 's/^\s\+//'

I'm worried about GNOME eating too much RAM tho, Lubuntu is generally recommended for low RAM computers from what I've seen, but I don't want to go too low and Puppy it up. I don't want to mess around too much with patching some DE over Ubuntu
He asked for Office, I can't give him LibreOffice, I'm not that cruel.

>1 gig ram
puppy, the tahr version (based on ubuntu).
b l a z i n g fucking fast

If Arch is meant to be simple, why does it use systemd?

Arch is meant to be simple for the developers, which systemd is.

Okay. I did a full shutdown and start twice. So the new kernel is fine and the only thing I altered after that was adding the following packages:
Packages (8) bullet-2.86-1 efl-1.18.4-1 libraw-0.18.2-1 libxp-1.0.3-1 luajit-2.0.4-2 openjpeg-1.5.2-1 printproto-1.0.5-3 enlightenment-0.21.3-1

Now I chrooted into it and removed them and it was still broken. Was enlightenment the culprit or was it a coincidence? Anyone have an idea how I could've fixed it?

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mis take in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

I'm not even bashing it. I use Arch and I love it, but see:
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

--------------------
Arch has always been a simple distribution in terms of the developer
perspective, not the user one. Using systemd made it simpler than ever
in that regard because much more work is taken care of by both the
systemd developers and all of the projects shipping unit files.

It has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare
compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional
whenever possible.

It has also never been a distribution offering much user freedom /
choice compared to Gentoo and even Debian. There are very few cases
where there are multiple packages offering different configurations of
the same project. There's no equivalent to update-alternatives or the
comparable uses of USE flags. Changing /bin/sh from Bash will be broken,
as will changing the python symlink to point to python2 instead of
python3 even though this works on some other distributions. It doesn't
strive to offer choices like this, and never has. It would mean a *lot*
more complexity on the development side of things along with major
deviations from upstream.

Arch is the *opposite* of a user-centric freedom. The opinion of users
has no weight here. Only the developers have an opinion, and there
aren't voting systems as there are in Debian. Technical decisions are
made based on merit via consensus among the developers, not popularity.

> it is not simple, not minimalist, and not user-centric.

Certainly not minimalist, but those other two claims are questionable.

Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module
available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat
related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional
features enabled across all the packages, etc.
--------------------

Arch is nice, the problem is simply that people fall for the KISS and minimalism memes.

whats nice about it?

perl -e '$_+=.1,`sleep 0.05`,print $"x(25+20*sin).qq{|\n}.$"x(25-20*sin).qq{|\n} while 1'

perl -e 'while($d+=.1){print"\e[H\e[2J";$a=0;while(($a+=.01)

Unfucked with packages.

where can I learn this wizardry?

>Unfucked with packages.
what did you mean by this

fizzbu- I mean daily programming threads

#!/usr/bin/perl -l
'% * % % * % %
* % ~ * % % * % * * % * *
* % % * * % * % * * % ~ % % % * %
* * * % * % % % % * % % % % % % * % % * %
% * % % ^ * % % % % *[] % % * * % * * % % %
% * % % % % % % * * % * * @ * @ % * % %
% ^ % * % * % * * % % * % % % % % * % %() %
% % * * * % % * % % * * % * * * * % * * % % * * *
% * * * % % * % % *[] % % % % * % * * * % % *
% * * % % % * * % * * * \ * %\ * * * %/ \ # % * *
% % % *\ * /\ * *// % %\ \ // % %/ % \// % * %
* * *\ \|| \ \/ / % %// \ \ *\ / %// %// % %
* % * %\ \ | | ||// % || // \// % // * * * %
%{} % * ----\ \ | / %||// / ---/ / * % % *
% * *\ ____\ \| | / / / /----/ * %
\ ----\ | / // /
\ \ / /'
=~m/(.*)/s;$_=$1;
s![-\\|_/\s]!!g
;%e=('%',0,
'^',132918,
'~'=>18054,
'@'=>19630,
'*' =>0b01,
'#'=>13099,
'[]'=>4278,
''=>2307,
'{}'=>9814,
'()',2076);
for $a(keys
%e){$e{$a}=
sprintf"%b"
, $e{$a};}
$y= qq{(}.join(
'|',map "\Q$_\E"
,keys %e).qq{)};s/$y
/$e{$1}/gex;print pack"B*",$_;

perlmonks.org/

I like how stable and how everything works smoothly in Debian stable, but the software is outdated. I miss some convenient features in new versions. Should I move to Debian testing? Are security updates a big problem?

the concept of "security update" doesn't exist on testing.

ubuntu lts is debian testing with security updates

>I miss some convenient features in new versions.
List 5 examples, otherwise youre talking out of your ass.

4 pieces of software can easily be rebuiilt/repackaged for newer versions

python2 -c $'import math, sys, time\nio = sys.stdout.write\nw = 0; t = [i for i in "***** +++ "]\nwhile 1:\n print ""\n for i in range(int(math.floor(math.sin(w)*20+20))): io(" ")\n for i in range(10): io(t[i])\n t_=t.pop()\n t.insert(0,t_)\n w+=.1\n time.sleep(.025)'

They don't split packages from upstream and they tend to not patch them either unless absolutely necessary. Unlike other distributions some of which like to dip their fingers into everything for some reason, which in my experience seems unnecessary and causes problems. Debian comes to mind. Of course people will argue with me over this but I've compared Debian stretch to Arch stable on the same machine and Debian is full of bugs while Arch just works. Since package dates are similar (not during the freeze anyways) I can only gather that it's because they are patch happy.

No bully.

Check out wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/arch_compared_to_other_distributions

Guys, I've tried installing Slackware on my new desktop with NVME drive so many times over the past week that I probably shortened its lifespan. I can't get it to boot. Tried LILO, ELILO, formatting the EFT partition to FAT before trying those things again. Pls send help

>Should I move to Debian testing?
Yes

systemd
linux-image
mesa
gnome
qbittorrent

that's five.

arch is a stepping stone

Debian is eternally fucked because they went all-in on 1000% free software

as soon as anything you or they want is non-free, everything is fucked

i asked about features not packages.

Where's the problem?

wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
cuckoldry is available aswell

You're confusing Fedora with Debian idiot. Fedora can't ship with non-free software because they (Red Hat) would be an easy target for patent trolls (e.g. MPEG).

>http
>when Let's Encrypt is free

better performance, better settings, better features xD

>xD

How will upgrading these packages change the user experience at all?
>Gnome
Yeah you'll get the gnome recipes app a little earlier oh and the redshift thing. Def upgrade bro.
>mesa
MAYBE you'll get some better performance but I doubt it would be noticable.

The rest?

No they didn't. They maintain a non free repo also. They don't have an excuse. Personally I saw bugs from only the libre packages.

free of what?

>You're confusing Fedora with Debian idiot. Fedora can't ship with non-free software because they (Red Hat) would be an easy target for patent trolls (e.g. MPEG).
Neither ship with non free repos enabled and it doesn't matter anyways because they both maintain non free repos. Whether they ship with the repo(s) added or not is irrelevant.

>suggesting nonfree software
and then people cry why debian isnt a fsf approves distro

You don't know what you're talking about. Debian has non-free and contrib repos. Fedora has only free repos. Do not respond to my posts any more.