Do you think one day someone will make new CRTs specifically aimed at keeping retro video games alive or will we...

Do you think one day someone will make new CRTs specifically aimed at keeping retro video games alive or will we forever have to do upkeep and repair on PVM's and old trinitrons and TVs like that?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_video_display
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser-powered_phosphor_display
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No

Unless someone actually goes out of their way to buy every CRT on the planet and smash it, they're not going anywhere.

/vr/ considers it sometimes.
There's still one or two companies making high quality CRT monitors for professional use, but they only sell by the crate and shipping a container full of crates of CRTs across the ocean is a little bit out of budget for most retrogrouches.

you never know d00d, camera nerds managed to restart the manufacturing of polaroid film. could be at some point, someone manages to get their hands on some castoff tooling and starts doing small-run artisanal vector displays

>will a company release something that can be easily repaired and will last forever with no need to buy another ever

No. Why the fuck would any business make such a dumb decision as to sell something people wont need to rebuy again later.

i'd like to have a crt, only if they slimmer and more efficient.

>caring about the efficiency of your screen when your computer has a 1,000W power supply

>I want my CRTs from the mid 2000s so I can play my games from the 80-90s
>I can't accept any newer technology regardless of how superior
Can't make this shit up.

Maybe once SED patents expire.

This is how retarded technology hipsters are

SED and FED.

>thinks 320x200 analogue signal looks even acceptable on LCD screens

Can't make THIS shit up.

>he thinks a 1,000W power supply continuously draws 1,000W

SED isn't DED thanks to Japanese incompetence?

>implying my PC isn't a vacuum cleaner

It might be, I heard they may actually be used in some medical devices, but I never looked into it. It would have to be some limited contracts and nothing massive, there's for sure nothing out there for consumers but the point I was making was that the tech is there for slim crt-like displays, it's just not available right now.

There was also some display that used lasers if I remember correctly, I forget the specifics but I remember them boasting about being easily scalable, you could make huge but still thin displays with them and the picture looked fine. Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

>your computer has a 1,000W power supply
nice assumption

Do CRTs still have the deepest blacks or is that just a meme?

What does? Plasmas? Oleds?

You can't.
The never did

Right looks a lot sharper. Is that a retroarch shader?

Good to see this image from /vr/'s early days is still getting retards like you.

There can't be anything blacker, it's literally not sending light to that area and the display itself is a dark black box with glass over it. Other displays can turn off the pixels but there's still backlight bleeding.

Isn't OLED's backlight individual to each pixel?

>it's literally not sending light
Not true and a myth parroted by retards. CRT's never had good blacks.

I don't think you understand how they work, if the pixel is supposed to be black it doesn't blast anything, what do you think is happening, it's sending some kind of impossible black light to the screen?

OLED doesn't use a backlight at all. It's independent red, green and blue LEDs per pixel. The blacks are perfectly black.

Still, a good CRT has better color fidelity than an OLED. And retro games just look better on the screen type they were meant to be played on.

Also light guns have never and will never work on anything other than CRT.

By the time it comes to the point that maintaining aging trinitrons becomes a real issue we'll probably have better options available to us anyway.

CRTs have better color fidelity than 10 bit oleds?
I find that hard to believe...

Yes the flippin well did. Apart from any light that's reflected off the screen surface, there's no light coming from black areas. If there is, you have the brightness turned too high.

Yes there's some bleed from the way pixels "bloom" and glow, but in retro games this makes them look nicer rather than the flat blocky look you get playing them on an LCD.

Outside light is reflected and phosphor around the area will still glow if light from an adjacent "pixel" is lit.

You in fact do not know what you're talking about.

>Yes there's some bleed
>good blacks
Choose one retard.

It's composing light photons on to the display glass to make an image, it's the closest thing to what your eyes want and see in the real world.

because its not true you dip

next thing someone will try to say is that crt's have better sharpness

The communists actually did this

If you have a tiny black area surrounded by bright, you won't notice if it's not perfectly black. Our eyes see contrast, not absolute brightness per pixel.

The place you will notice problems with black is in large dark areas of the picture, which a CRT will reproduce well.

It's more likely that there'll be more products like the Framemeister that make retro systems look good on modern TVs.

because they didn't have anything.

>if you shine light on the display it won't look as intended
You act like this is exclusive to CRTs and not every display. This heavily depends on the glass too. Regardless in the same environment with the same lighting conditions a CRT would still be preferred.
>will still glow if light from an adjacent "pixel" is lit.
Again a problem in every display.

Nobody is saying CRT is perfect but it's currently the least worst. If the question is "do CRTs have the best blacks" the answer is yes they do, the question is not "do CRTs have perfect blacks when considering surrounding light and external light influences".

It matters for text.

And if the screen is pitch black it doesn't matter.

Yes. But how outdated those piles of shits were. (source: me, post-commie eastern european shithole inhabitant)

I just got a free 200+lbs 36" Sony Trinitron just so i can play PS1/2 games on it.

>You act like this is exclusive to CRTs and not every display.
>Again a problem in every display.

OLEDs aren't effected by that defect.
>Nobody is saying CRT is perfect but it's currently the least worst.
They are garbage. Terrible.

Garbage blacks.

Not a valid argument. Almost all of them will be recycled in 10-20 years

Some models are dropping like flies now. The cathode tubes have a limited life.

>we used a non-standard method of testing
Literally worthless.

If the brightness from adjacent pixels is bleeding into your black text noticeably, you have the brightness too high, or you're trying to view text on a display that isn't suited for it like a TV. What you notice in text on a CRT is lack of sharpness. LCD and OLED beat CRT on that. This thread isn't about viewing documents or web pages though. It's about retro gaming.

Retro games were designed around the fact they'd be displayed on an imperfect color TV screen. They looked fine despite flat areas of color and less detailed sprites, because the bloom, contrast and artifacts on the TV added something to what you saw.

No, because manufacturing always takes an effort that can be minimized by making things last

yes

youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc

>ansi
>non standard
Ok you dumb curry nigger. It's one thing to spam your AMD threads on Sup Forums but we draw the line when you start saying established American standards are "Literally worthless".

video starts at 6:50

Speaking of which, I have one of these Sony PVMs that doesn't work. It turns on but nothing shows on screen.

How can I get it repaired?

>contrast has no effect on white text with a black background
Try again.

Not an argument. It's not how the display industry has or does today, tests contrast and it's certainly not normal viewing conditions. More importantly they admit what I said previously, the glass is a huge factor which depends heavily on the vendor. Instead of getting frustrated and throwing a tantrum how about you continue the discussion.

I grew up with CRTs and played on them even a few years ago, high quality arcade CRTs in actual Japanese candy cabs. I don't miss them.

>American standards matter when every highly regarded monitor ever has come out of Asia

>dumb curry nigger
>Hates ANSI
Go figure

A company could start up that retails them. Actually... Someone make this haben

I said black text with white background. CRTs display the opposite just fine, plus a slight glow. For black text on white, if your letters are visibly not black, again, you need to adjust your brightness and contrast dials.

I'm not claiming that zero photons come from those tiny black regions. I'm saying that you don't notice it because they're surrounded by white. This is from using CRTs for years. When moving to LCD or OLED, you notice how crystal clear the letters look, not how black they are inside.

It still looks fuzzy.

Still not an argument.
t. American

>It still looks fuzzy.
I already said CRTs suck at text clarity. It's not a black purity issue, it's a sharpness issue. It's the first thing I noticed when I moved from CRT to LCD -- text looks so damn crisp.

On the other hand, a CRT will look slightly fuzzy at any resolution, while an LCD or OLED will look perfectly sharp at native resolution but dogshit at anything else.

How we seriously got locked into fixed resolutions is beyond me, how could anyone think that shit was a good idea.
>and we'll just scale everything!

let me guess, butthurt belt?

Do you have the sources of where to buy these things and what's needed for assembly?

Well you make a thin display that doesn't have a fixed resolution, I'll wait

The alternative is to make the pixels so tiny that the scaling artifacts aren't visible when running it at non-native resolutions. We're just about there with 4K screens in phones. Now if we could just get panels with that kind of DPI on desktops and laptops.

Was it this?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_video_display

I think it was this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser-powered_phosphor_display

*tink*

>17" deep
Better than a CRT of the same size, but still not exactly something you could fit into a laptop or phone, and it's gonna be thicker than a desktop LCD.

True, I think the major thing to consider though is that not only is it better than a standard sized CRT, it's much much better when considering large displays (over 30 inches). I wonder if anyone has made advances on this thing since 2011.

I found this image but I can't tell if they're hiding the back inside that structure or not. I think it would be impressive either way considering the size.

too expensive, eventually higher resolution will eventually be able to emulate a phosphor display @ 99.9%

>crt never had good blacks

For all you stupids that think CRT is higher quality

Sure, I'll allow you to think that. It's higher quality image. I'll allow that to be true...(even though its not)

But you fucking retards who seem to be paying so much attention to fine detail like scanlines and absolute blacks...

You supposed "stimulusphiles" completely forget that fucking CRTs get hot as shit and emit highly audible whine when they are on.

Couple other things. Theyre heavy and bulky as all fuck, limiting their placement. I've also heard arguments they have higher input lag not sure if thats true? but jesus fucking christ that whiney high pitched sound is a deal breaker. I'm glad those stupid screens have been replaced by oled

And absolutely lol:
>play the game on the screen it was designed for!
absolute lol on a million different levels.

If you like CRT because its interesting how their how their built and how they function, that is sweet, more power to you! Knowledge is fucking awesome and I applaud you for learning...but if you think they are give superior end result....GFY

Format your post correctly and maybe someone will read it.

that reads like it was written by some angsty acne teen

>tfw have a 14" pvm and wish it was bigger

>>>>>>/reddit/

>noodle arm manlet can't move a sub 100lb display
>crt has input lag
>doesn't know whine is caused by worn flyback and not all have the same issue. only 15hz tvs have it and 31hz pc crt are out of hearing range

>sub 100lb display
Tiny babby CRT. Mine is nearly 200lb and its in my basement. I'm never replacing it, because even if I wanted to I probably couldn't get it up the steps.

pic related, although not mine specifically

Government regulations in most industrial nations make it impossible to even manufacture CRT displays.

What are these companies?

>reddit spacing
go back

>only redditors want long posts to be human-readable
checks out

>get hot as shit
So?
>emit highly audible whine when they are on.
iirc that's an issue specifically with 240p content

Yeah, I forgot how books, magazines, etc. use double spacing. Oh that's right, they don't.

>new CRTs specifically aimed at keeping retro video games alive
wHAT A FUCKING WASTE!

>yelling on the Internet
This is an 18+ website.

>I've also heard arguments they have higher input lag not sure if thats true?
Why even mention it on the first place? Were you just padding your post or something?

Also
>absolutely lol
>mfw

Piss off american!

What does my nationality have to do with anything?

You're the kind of retard who genuinely thinks modern digital animation is superior to cell animation as well, aren't you?

crt has more natural skin color

>Yeah, I forgot how books, magazines, etc. use double spacing. Oh that's right, they don't.
Are we on a book or magazine? No, we're on a website with fuck all options to break up and differentiate paragraphs and other features of large blocks of text, which you'd notice books and magazines also do if you'd bother to read them.

Shit on that retard for his retarded shitty argument instead of grasping at straws to build shitty strawmen like a braindead Sup Forumsirgin.

That CRT has better colors overall

You can't be serious.
LOL.
Enjoy the headaces

t.oldfag

Speak for yourself, your brain is low quality.

It's never gonna happen, the manufacturing process of making a high quality monitor is insane compared to making lcds. The costs greatly outweigh the the benefits. I can see more things like the framemiester becoming more common.