Why are you not using Puppy Linux?

Turns your 14 year old laptop into a useful modern machine again.

I think the real question is why aren't you using OpenIndiana

Why would I use a 14 yo machine?

>laptop
Never ever, I am getting a portable piece of crap

puppy runs as root and doesn't afraid of anything

what's a good puppylinxu xp theme

I'm no puppy

I tried but I've encountered horrible hardware related problems with it (the tahrpuppy version).

It would boot from usb just fine, it would install just fine, it would reboot into a proper session from the storage when it was installed.
It wouldn't boot the 3rd time, always resulted in a kernel panic.
I was unable to determine the cause of this, the HDD is relatively new and has no damaged sectors, and the installation image was all fine and dandy.

A shame really, the first two boots were great, runs blazingly fucking fast.

How could they fuck up that introduction?

They didn't even call the user sir or add that creepy Indian politeness, what the fuck?

openindiana has nothing to do with india tho

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA
>girlslaughing.jpg
because I use windows m8

Good doggo!

Solaris 11 is sadly better

If I ever saw a Sup Forumseddit post that's definitely yours.
Jesus

t.redditor/newfag
wanna bite on my dick next?

I had the opposite. Started with Lubuntu and none of my hardware worked on my old laptop. Went in circles trying to install working drivers. So I put tahrpup on it and everything worked right off the bat.

So that you have a reasonable use for Linux

Tell this bullshit to my boss.

i would use it if it was called kitty linux

i think the real question is why unix operating systems exist in the year 2017

Does it have anything to do with Indiana?

>there's an operating system for my state
Cool

My old laptops run their era operating systems
G40 runs XP, R30 runs 2k, 380ed runs 98

Trust me, no matter how "lightweight" your OS is, using it to perform modern tasks is pure agony, especially with the amount of shit that gets loaded on modern website.

I'd rather not use a computer than use an old clunky system.

so then, the purpose of that computer is to run 'uptime' every few days, right?

>Somehow lets a 14 year old laptop play youtube videos

I use single core atom netbook these days.

Can run latest office, photoshop, autocad but god forbid trying to browse the web with more than one tab.

Not going to run on my 18 year old Libretto with 64mb of RAM.

I had a similar setup. Acer Aspire something with a single core. Granted, I didn't rice the shit out of it, but it was still terrible.

I am okay with this.
You seen motherfuckingwebsite? It addresses the over use of jquery

Bit jittery in the first few seconds of buffering but is smooth after.

Are you romanian? This song is really nice.
And yes, I do run puppy on a old desktop.

nice! specs?

I don't use a 14 year old laptop

Canadian. I just found this randomly. Good song.

t. consumerist shill

Give that dog a pat on the head and tell them they're a good boy for me.

(Or a good girl, whatever.)

alpine linux.

dono, i just use the nox theme and some customization

>Turns your 14 year old laptop into a useful modern machine again
So can pretty much any other distro, there's nothing special about Puppy.

Not true. I tried first with Lubuntu, it didn't recognize any of my hardware, not even the keyboard layout. Went in circles getting drivers to work, hours of bs. No internet. Dead in the water. Load puppy, takes 5 mins to setup and everything worked for me.

Because Unix is how operating systems are supposed to be.

I hate the name. I'd rather just run a stripped-down Debian or OpenBSD installation with the same shitty """lightweight""" applications and at least enjoy the illusion of not using a toy.

But I'd rather set them up with the stacks they were built to run in the first place anyway, there's no reason to use something so old as a "modern" system unless you live some 3rd world literal African shithole. Better used to mess with cool abandonware and legacy software they were built for than struggling to do the same shit your main system already does literally ten times better with real applications anyway.

Only because you know nothing else, Unix got to where it was because it was cheap, not because it was actually the superior choice on a pure technical and feature basis.

what was/is the superior choice on a pure technical and feature basis

Dunno, I wasn't a systems administrator in the 1970s.

My life situation has changed, I can't go down into my basement electrolab where my battlestation is located for hours on end. I also don't want to spend hundreds on a new laptop/tablet because I'm saving for some classic car parts. So, this teacher asked me "do you recycle old laptops?" and handed me this here gem. Free laptop. Why wouldn't I try to make the best of it? We cant always cocoon in our lairs with our comfy 3 screen kaby lake machines or whatever setup you may enjoy.

To add to this, since it looks like a retarded cop-out now that I read it again; there were absolutely tons of options at the time.

Unix got a head start not because it was particularly the best or everyone's idea of the perfect operating system at the time, but because it was a still good enough, modern OS for multi-user systems that was most importantly free. AT&T had to provide the source code to whoever asked, which made it a great choice especially for academia. There were certainly good parts of it, but it didn't win out on technical superiority alone.

You can get a good Core 2 system these days for under $60 capable of running Windows 7 or real Linux distributions. Hell, if you're real lucky you can find some good shit for next to nothing nowadays. I got my dual Xeon X5450 backup box for $5.

because it won't work.

fucking shit ass graphics chip on the old '98 dell inspiron 7000 won't work with any window managers.

>GEE Billy! Your mom lets you have TWO toolbars!

Is it a better alternative to lubuntu for a netbook?
Pic related, my puppy.

Arch + sway

>my boss
cuck

Sure

Is this the Toughbook thread?
CF-53 represent.

>wat is youtube-dl

Resurrecting old laptops is nice if you want it to run isolated tasks and you wanted to save bucks rather than buying a new one. But as many people mentioned, it all turns into suffering the moment you decide to web browsing.

I wish web sites stopped choking the bandwidth and ram with useless visual effects. The worst offenders are those sites that show like 1 huge picture and 2 lines of text by screen.

Lol, cum să stai pe /g și să asculți muzica aia non-ronic?

Because Slax is better.

Pretty much this.
Modern websites refuse to work with old hardware.

/thread

>click on a button
>"BORK"
AYYY

>Why are you not using Puppy Linux?
But we are.
And now with AppImage, we don't even need to build pets/sfs.

That snek is going to kill the puppy

because 14 yo is best age

You don't need a hard drive to run puppy.
Things you drop in /archive get saved to cd or usb but don't get loaded to ramdisk on boot.
But they're right there on the cd/usb.
>so store you're .sfs files and other stuff there to keep you're ramdisk footprint small.

Just use SlitaZ

...so you're getting a laptop?

>SliTaz
rofl what is this faggotry

or i can buy a new one because i'm not a neet

Honnestly the best lightweight os out there. I tried 'em all, and my P4 with 256mb was rocking hard. It works on ram and uses 64mb at idle

use debian, alpine, etc, hobbyist distros are more trouble than they're worth

That's MATE.

cuck

Depends on what you use them for. In this case, for shitposting everything is fine. Also i failed to install lubuntu 4 times due to intel igpu drivers. Slitaz just werkz and does its job pretty well

millennial fag detected.

Devuan netinstall is all I need

>i'm never going outside
>I'm too stupid to have any job that needs fast information transfer, I just clean public bathrooms