/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 & i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470 8GB, RX480 8GB, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Be mindful of mixing NVidia w/ Ryzen for DX12/Vulkan, currently
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than an RX470, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)
>Vega comes in May

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider SSD-only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Save money w/ mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

thetechaltar.com/amd-ryzen-agesa-1-0-0-4-testing/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202275
galaxstore.net/GALAX-HOF-DDR4-3600-MEMORY-16G(8G2)_p_116.html
samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/M2M/html/support/warranty.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/2P7jCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/3dJ9pb
pcpartpicker.com/list/jZ9Y7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/wQMNjc
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

anyone got a spare computer he doesnt need?

Ya for $350

It's been a while since I did any build and I'm kinda lost regarding the state of installing windows.

Are there ways to safely activate (for free) Windows 10 from a clean install? What's the cheapest way to buy it if I decide to do it?
I've never bought Windows in my life but I remember seeing 10 for around 5 quid in game keys websites.

I need Windows 10 for muh DX12 btw.

Install gentoo

Asked this a few threads back but didn't get any suggestions.

Giant retard here. Looking for a cheap gaming laptop, and laptopscribes recommends the Dell Inspiron 7559, which is super cheap at $670. But after looking at other places, I found a very similar laptop in the same series for $850 that also had good reviews, only difference being:

>Intel Core i5-7300HQ compared to i5 6300HQ
>Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti compared to GTX 960M

Is the difference worth the extra $200? Should I stick with the one on laptopscribes? Please don't recommend a desktop, gonna be a student with frequent traveling.

definitely

h115i or kraken x61?

Consider the following:

I want to overclock a 1600 or 1600X Ryzen to the highest clock because I still need good single-threaded performance.
I plan on having the AM4 long-term and upgrade the CPU 2 or 3 gens from now.
I don't realistically need the extra features from X370.

What do you recommend me Sup Forums? X370 or B350?
Will the X370 give me better chance to run stable @ 4Ghz with 3200Mhz memory?

I blame the Xbox

ASRock x370 mITX coming soon.

And Microcode update tested:
>thetechaltar.com/amd-ryzen-agesa-1-0-0-4-testing/

The 7300 and 1050Ti are significantly better. Not 25% better, but significantly better and what I'd go for if I had to pick between the two.
The 1050Ti is going to be better on battery life than the 960M, too.

>I still need good single-threaded performance.
The 1600X hits 4.1Ghz stock if you mean literal single threaded stuff (it doesn't clock that high on 2/4t unless the other cores are lightly loaded.
It only hits like 3.8ghz all-core I think in most games, which means an overclock is generally better.

>Will the X370 give me better chance to run stable @ 4Ghz with 3200Mhz memory?
Not nessisarily. It's the quality and number of VRMs that matter.
People are getting 4ghz+ overclocks and 3200mhz memory on the ASRock Pro4 fine, which is only $65 for the mATX one.

uh which question is that "definitely" answering?

>Is the difference worth the extra $200?
>Should I stick with the one on laptopscribes?

buy w530 dont be a fag

>I need Windows 10 for muh DX12 btw.
Get out with your shitty stale maymay's.

I'd get the newer one. New full phat GPU's on laptops from Nvidia are sweet, that 1050ti is gonna blow the 960m out of the water. Maybe you'll get better storage and memory aswell.

>It's the quality and number of VRMs that matter.
Is there a roundup on that front about the AM4 boards? I'm a bit out of the loop.

What are these places? Im looking for a laptop but dont know where to look

Install gentoo, and use win10 in virtualbox with GPU passthrough.

You can see the number of them by looking at a picture of the motherboard, user. The number of inducers, at least.

Some have 2 or 3 extra inducers on top. I think those aren't CPU VRMs but for overclocking the GPU with an APU. Not sure.

Where can I go for resources/information on building a web server? Obviously 99% of available pc building information on the internet is about gaming.

I mean things like component recommendations, minimum hardware specifications given predicted load and software running, etc.

thx anons

Any cheap 32" 4k monitor?

Will this run anything at stable 4K FPS for the next 2 years?
Ryzen 7 1800x
1080ti MSI gaming x
Asus Crossshair VI
960EVO 500gb

what is wrong with your brain that caused you to think it would be a good idea to spend more than one thousand dollars on a computer. a computer that isn't even going to make you money! get a real hobby you stupid nerd

How does it feel being a poorfag?

>Install gentoo, and use win10 in virtualbox with GPU passthrough.
My question is still exactly the same. Do I activate it in any illicit way in the virtual machine or do I buy a product key?

That solved nothing. Please use some logic at least when you nonsensically regurgitate all these memes.

Why only 500gb SSD?
I don't understand people that'll spend 4x more on a GPU than an SSD.

Anyway, what FPS? 60FPS? Fuck no. The 1080Ti gets under 40FPS in lots of games at 4K TODAY. Older games. So how would it be good for games 2 years in the future if it can't even do all games today at 4K 60fps?
Wait for Vega, as it'll likely do significantly better at 4K, but I still don't think it'll do 4K 60fps min for everything.

less headache to buy a key from a wrecker.

GPU is the best investment for gaming, even with just 120gb or 240bg ssd you can swap/store only the games you're currently playing. Why do you need all your games doing nothing on a ssd?

How terrible is this? RX580 seems out of my budget from the leaked prices.
I'll still wait since I won't be getting these parts until at the very best the 20th, but in the case they're simply better-clocked rehashes, should i run with this?

>investment
No it's not.
An SSD is what you'll have for 10 years or more.
The GPU you'll be replacing in a month or 2 years at most if 4K at 60fps minimum is your goal.

>RX580 is out of my budget
okay
>$235 for a crappy ASUS RX480
but that seems better value to you??

And get the Seasonic 550RM. I'm pretty sure it's still on sale until monday.

Get the 1600 for cheaper off Jet, go mATX motherboard, and use the savings to unfuck your build.

>i5 2500k and R5 1600x have same single core performance
>7600k is barely better
Did somebody just decide 5 years ago that CPUs don't need to get faster anymore?

That's ridiculous, an sdd will not last more than 5-6 years with heavy use. You can always sell a GPU, used sdd's have no value

>Americans make more money, have better job opportunities, lower cost of living, and PC parts are 50% cheaper

>buy all the parts for new PC
>last thing to arrive is the H7 heatsink on Tuesday
>just found out I need an AM4 upgrade kit to use the heatsink on my mobo
Fuck, I don't want to wait any longer. I'm guessing it'll take at least a week for them to ship me the upgrade kit.

No, a good SSD will last a long ass time as long as you're not using it as swap and not out of memory.

>Did somebody just decide 5 years ago that CPUs don't need to get faster anymore?
There is a limit to how far you can reasonably take single core performance.
You can't simply make the cores a lot bigger as it creates more latency and makes a lot more heat.

Over the next 5 years, I think at best we might see another 25% true IPC increase (as in, instruction-for-instruction), but clocks aren't going to reasonably go over 4.5Ghz.
The easiest way to increase IPC right now is to build cores a bit more vertically and to add vertical stacked memory next to the die as a L4 cache.

>i5 2500k and R5 1600x have same single core performance
That's not true. It's about 25% higher IPC. Though if you account for a 2500k overclocking to 4.5Ghz, then yeah it's closer.
And Ryzen is far, far better when it comes to virtualization, which is huge. IPC isn't the same for each instruction. It's just 6% behind on average than Kabylake, and its SMT is better.

>Americans make more mone
>have better job opportunities
lol. The latter ones are true, but not those two compared to many countries.

What are the best b350 boards currently? Looking to put together an R5 1600 build shortly.

Sapphire RX480 8GB
$190 after MiR
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202275

How much would Sup Forums be willing to pay for a Power Mac G5?
Might pick one up to use as a simple fileserver

DDR4 3600 Samsung B-die 2x8GB $109.
galaxstore.net/GALAX-HOF-DDR4-3600-MEMORY-16G(8G2)_p_116.html
Holy shit that's really good.

Found these on /r/buildapcsales but you have to beware that there's a lot of shit there and lots of retards.

what do you guys think of this ryzen build? I want the best bang for the buck but still be able to upgrade to crossfire and any new potential am4 cpus

GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3
or
MSI B350 TOMAHAWK

Read the other responses to similar builds.

Single rake, too.

Gaming 3 unless you can verify the Tomahawk is finally fixed.

hey i want to buy a single fan AIO cooler but so confused about it

i selected a few options about it, here:

>Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer C
>Antec Kuhler H2O H600 PRO
>NZXT Kraken X40 Hydro
>Deepcool Captain 120 EX
>Corsair Hydro H60 (SE)
>Cooler Master Seidon 120XL

also i will replace the fan too, which one is good? is noctua fan good?

>i want to buy a single fan AIO cooler
but why?

>unless you can verify the Tomahawk is finally fixed
Care to elaborate?

damn so this is the best am4 mobo. something with gamer sht adn red leds everywhere top kek

Some people have great experiences with it.
Others can't get their memory to decent speeds and it takes 20+ seconds to POST.
You can simply look at the reviews on Newegg?

No, the Taichi is the best enthusiast one.
And you can get a version of that board there that's plainer. The non-fatal1ty version, dumbass.

Just look around the trash in your city, I already have found 1 dual core athlon pc which is now an efficient ubuntu machine, 2 other pcs and a laptop. Perfect shitposting machines; I even gave one to my parents with Mint installed

small ITX pc case

I'm mainly going to vidya and emulate games.

Which CPU should I consider?

New job and living with folks, so no real money issues aside from the looming shadow of taxes.

I'm using pcpartpicker to check out PC components. I chose an Intel i7-7700 and an ASRock
H110M-ITX/ac motherboard. A warning popped up saying that some H110 chipset boards may need a BIOS update prior to using kaby lake-s CPUs. Does this specific model have this problem, or is it one of the ones that doesn't? I have a 3770k sitting around, could I update the BIOS using that?

>no mention of logical incriments anywhere

were you kicked off their dev team or something?

literally everything you do by autistically creating these threads is explained perfectly with pictures on their site

>small ITX pc case
Why not a Cryorig C1, or Noctua L9x65?

For emulators, an i3-7350k is generally by far the best. But for modern games that generally use 8 threads well, it is not.
Ryzen should theoretically be good, but unless it's an open source emulator the fag devs don't compile with AMD optimizations.

>no mention of logical incriments anywhere
Because every thread then has people asking "should I just chose one item from the 'good' category for my build" which makes a fucking awful build with some ass Z270 board, a i3-6100, and a 1050Ti. Just about the worst build you can imagine.
You must be retarded, since you think it's good. Nice reddit formatting, by the way.

Amazon reviews show people complaining about it.

Z270 is a great board you retard.

Z270 isn't a board, it's a chipset.
Further proving what an idiot you are.

Sounds $200 better to me. 1050Ti is about twice the performance as a 960M. 960M is comparable to a 750Ti.

Can anyone advise on how to choose a pc case?
I'm looking for a smallish case for a microATX motherboard.
preferably a "mini tower" although there doesn't seem to be any standard definitions. pcpartpicker doesn't even seem to list any mini towers, though I suspect some in their "mid tower" range could be called mini towers. But a case that's less than 42cm high would be good.

Also looking for a case that doesn't have air vents aside from at the front and back where the fans go. A lot of cases have vents on the side panels which let dust in.

Ryzen is sounding more and more appealing to me, frankly. A lot of bang for your buck.

I had heard they weren't the best for emulation though. Which is why I figured I'd ask since I like both modern and older stuff. Was thinking of going i7 at first, but I'm not sure now.

Either way it'd be a step up from this ancient quad-core I've been riding on for a long time now.

Hey Sup Forums
As much as I love looking around for decent parts at decent prices, I realize that I really don't want to take the time to build a PC since I'm incredibly lazy.

Can anyone recommend a good custom PC builder website?
I've heard some scary things about CryberPower and I don't want to get screwed. Anyone hear anything about OriginPC?

>pcpartpicker doesn't even seem to list any mini towers
ignore this part, I had compatibilty filter on with incompatible parts.

You called it a board you mouth breathing fuck

I just go by mainly aesthetics and pricing + features desu. If you have to look at it everyday it's gotta look good.

A 960m can't run any game made after like 2008

No. You are going to get fucked hard with customs builder sites. Every single one of them charge out the ass and builds are notorious arriving dead

Yeah, like I said myself, not the best for emulation.
On paper, they're fine which you can see in many applications.
But hobby developers, who suck cut Intel cock and who scam people out of money for emulators instead of open source them, generally have their emulators not running great on it.
If you just get a 1500X or 1600 and overclock it, I'm pretty sure you'll still get acceptable performance in PSCX 2, Dolphin, etc, but an i3-7350k is going to be the best.

Generally I'd recommend you make one HTPC type box specifically for emulation, and the another for your desktop that's good for games that aren't programmed and compiled nearly as shittily as those emulators and for your general desktop use where Ryzen is far better.
You also didn't state your budget.

I like to have one to route wires behind the motherboard.
I also prefer the PSU at the top-front where drive bays would usually go, as it's the most space efficient. Or top-back but with the PSU flipped so it doesn't take in hot air off the CPU if it's one with optical drives.
I don't like the bottom mount PSU meme as it leaves lots of empty space at the bottom middle, and bottom front. Though they are the roomiest for custom watercooling loops, but I still don't like them.
Avoid ones made to fit 16 hard drives as no one does that, and they're inefficient layouts for that anyway.

No I said
>some ass Z270 board
not
>Z270 is a great board
Just quit posting. Leave Sup Forums. You're making more and more of an embarrassment about yourself. Not only do you not know shit, but your reading comprehension is terrible as well (which probably contributes to you not knowing shit).

What's the secret for keeping your build dust free? I can pull enough dust to make a wig out of mine every 3 weeks or so.

>That's ridiculous, an sdd will not last more than 5-6 years with heavy use.
This isn't 10 years ago, lad.

samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/M2M/html/support/warranty.html
A 500GB EVO has, by warranty, a life of 150TBW: 150 Terabytes of writes at minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if lasts double that. To put this into perspective:

150TB = 150,000GB.
150,000 / (10 x 365) = ~41.

At warranty minimum, your SSD will last for ten years IF you write 41GB to it every single day of those ten years. I'm not sure what you mean by "heavy use", but I highly doubt it's 41GB.

>inb4 heavy use is at least double that just to prove me wrong

>he overpaid for ricer mb instead of getting a cheap, functional, and comfy Z270

We are all laughing at you right now.

Air purifier

keep the room clean. take showers you filthy fuck

>cpu
Great choice.

>mobo
Are you even planning on OC'ing? Or running SLI? If OC'ing, you're still spending too much.

>corsair 3000
Just get Ripjaw at 3200. It's a better brand and the better ram speed is worth the 10 bucks. Why do people even buy Corsair?

>ssd
It's fine, but 500 is a minimum for gaming really. You will eat through that 275 fast.

>gpu
Wait for the RX 500, they'll probably be about 20 dollars more and be way better.

daily reminder this is all you need

pcpartpicker.com/list/2P7jCy

only thing that's optional is the mobo and the ram, go with what ever is cheapest when you order

i would go with a 1 stick 8gb but a sale this good for 2 dimms will be fine, just makes it harder to upgrade if you ever wanted to bump up to another 8 gig stick in the future

pcpartpicker.com/list/3dJ9pb

Posting again to say thanks for the help over the last couple days.

'Gaming' build - not planning on any resolutions above 1080 w/ 2 144Hz monitors anytime soon at all. Should be overkill or futureproofed at least for awhile

>Just quit posting. Leave Sup Forums. You're making more and more of an embarrassment about yourself. Not only do you not know shit, but your reading comprehension is terrible as well (which probably contributes to you not knowing shit).
Fucking rekt. Good job putting that faggot in his place, user.

I didn't state my budget mainly because I wasn't really asking for somebody to build me a PC, just some advice on what to get.

Was going to post my build at a later time and see what others had to say from there.

But if you must know, I'm sitting on like $2000 US right now, so...I guess that?

Also could run PCSX2 okay'ish on this 2.4(?)ghz quad core from over 6 years ago, can't imagine Ryzen being worse.

I think you might be better off getting a 1600X

Not him. A 2000$ PC is enthusiast. You can get 1440p 144hz with 1500, easily (unless you don't have a monitor yet).

Yeah, I'm aware. Mainly why I was just asking for what's generally the best for games and emulating and why a budget wasn't a huge concern for me right now.

>2500k overclocking to 4.5Ghz
Yeah, I was comparing my own tests of my 4.4ghz 2500k to review tests of the 1600x.
Stock 2500k seems on part with stock 1600.

Can this do 1440p 144hz?

Don't mix Ryzen and Nvidia. Did you not read the OP?

>But if you must know, I'm sitting on like $2000 US right now, so...I guess that?
I'd spend like $850-$1200 on a 1600/1600X PC.
Like so:
>pcpartpicker.com/list/jZ9Y7h
With that Sapphire 8GB RX480 that's on sale for $190 right now, an RX580, or wait for Vega.

Then I'd get a tiny box with just a mITX motherboard, 250GB SSD, i3-7350k, and a Noctua L9i

You'd still have money left over for a nice monitor.
But if you want to emulate at 4K, you'd need to wait a year for the second generation of Zen APUs and hope they do ones with HBM2. Intel integrated GPUs are good for 1080p@60fps in Dolphin and most emulators, but not 4K at all.
I think the 1600 overclocked to 4Ghz will handle emulators pretty alright, though, and you can just try it and have money left over to make a dedicated little emulator box if not or just to do that too anyway.

If the 1600 at 4ghz won't run emulators well (it might not. I've seen issues in Cemu, but that's new), it makes the most sense to make a specific emulator box instead of gimping your desktop to get emulator performance as well with it at the cost of everything else.

It's fine if they just don't play DX12/Vulkan shit. But that is a lot of money for a 1070.

You'll need a CPU cooler

Best as in raw power? Or best for price/performance?

pcpartpicker.com/list/wQMNjc
This build is pretty much ideal without going too overboard, but it's definitely not the best price/performance.

>Don't play DX12

So you are making a machine that isn't future proof at all? Basically you'll play games made last year and earlier?

What's a good all in one cooler for my 6700k in a s340 elite?

Pretty much yeah, Im not done ricing out TF2 to get the maximum frames. Running DX8.1

Not with a 1700 you don't. What're you talking about?

Isn't that a 6 phase board? I don't think you're going to get much of an overclock. I can't find OC results done on that board at all.
Isn't 6 phase VRMs basically the recommendation to run a 7700k stock?

idk. Some people plan to just upgrade their GPU every year or 2. I wouldn't advise for it, but that's what some people do.

Does anyone know which brand to get for the RX 580? EU here by the way.

I heard the Wraith cooler that comes included is fine if I dont plan to do anything too strenuous

I haven't really kept up with Kaby Lake mobos DESU. You're probably right, but still, a better mobo would cost maybe 40$ extra tops.

it's for heavy work

I might make a dedicated emulator box later.

>4K
No thanks. I don't see much point in getting that high a resolution if I'm more than content with monitors in the 1080/1440 ranges. 4k's are a bit too big for my desk area.

I was leaning more towards power

Don't know yet.
So far I heard of some people getting near 1480mhz on the XFX GTS with only like a 12mv increase, which is pretty crazy.
But the overclocking utility was having problems with giving much more voltage and higher clocks, as good of perf/watt that is.

The Red Devil is looking really nice. 6 phase full VRMs and 8+6 pin. If that doesn't hit 1600+ on air, I'll be disappointed.

Yes. You usually can't get a decent Z270 board that you can actually overclock on for less than $110. Anything cheaper, and even many $110 boards, are only for the faster memory (B250 only supports 2400) and not for overclocking on. The decent ones are usually in the $140+ range except when there are sales.
Meanwhile, you can get a $65-$95 B350 board that's good for 1.4v overclocks.

You can generally get a good idea of the power delivery just by looking at the board..

Huh? Copy what you're responding to. That doesn't make sense to any of those for me.
Are you trying to say a single fan radiator is going to out perform the Cryorig C1? lol, no.

>480 is $250
>1070 is $450

What's the middle ground?

>1440p
>power
Well the build I gave you, with an exception to the mobo, is probably what you want. Expect 1440p with ~100fps with most games.

r9 fury for 350

1070 is 375 bud

too large and i need good air circulation and more RAM slot