Year of our Patron Saint Richard Stallman

>Year of our Patron Saint Richard Stallman
>GTK still does not have thumbnails in the file picker

At least it still has a side preview

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154&
daniel.haxx.se/blog/2017/03/27/curl-is-c/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Linuxfag here, let me give you the most proper and shameless explanation. I hope you will understand.
>Why are there no thumbnail in file explorer
Because it's written in C. The file chooser widget is written in GTK+, which is one of the most popular C's GUI library. People know about this already.
>Why hasn't this been fixed
As a software developer, I would not touch obsolete POS language such as C, let alone GTK.
For me, it's easier to develop something else rather than fucking with obsolete featureless languagelet like C(ancer). Using C for anything but micro controllers and kernels is pants on head retarded, specially GUI. GUI is MEANT for Object Oriented Programming and C doesn't have that level of sophistication. Developing in C is literally a worthless timesink because C does not have anything to offer but timesink: C has no templates, operator overloading, exception handling, type checks, runtime checks, constructors, lazy evaluations, monads and the list goes on. If you are not hacking the very language itself with macros shitting all over the source files you wouldn't trivial things such as get function overloading.
C does not have exception handling. It's meant for 80's computing and the projects that are written in C are unironically stuck in the 80's: like GTK+
Even after you have gone through the agony of using a language that is a disservice to the intelligent programmers (Linus doesn't count, he's on a different level and not everyone is Linus), you have to worry about memory safety.
C is not memory safe. As if the timesink development was not enough pain, you have to test your program for possible security vulnerability. When K&R came up with C, it was an ancient time. C's priority was being able to produce binaries that can run in an 800MHz processor with 64MiB RAM that can fit into floppies. Security was NOT a concern.

Coincidentally, KDE file chooser has thumbnails and guess what language it's written in: it's C++.

FUCK YOU RUST SHILL C IS THE BEST

That was a very convincing damage control

?

Yeah fuck that, gnome devs should implement this. Good i'm on kde tho.

>When K&R came up with C, it was an ancient time. C's priority was being able to produce binaries that can run in an 800MHz processor with 64MiB RAM
you're about 3 decades off, there, kid
C is from 1972, that kind of hardware was only common at the end of the 90's to the start of the 00's

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154&

you mean Saint iGNUcius

gee, people are even okay with sponsoring this fix and no one wants to pick it up. As I said before, C (and of course GTK) is SUCH a cancer no one wants to touch it, go anywhere near it.

C is garbage if you want scalability. At least C++ as nice and useful abstractions.

That's a start, but only for GTK2 and not mainline.

one of the reason i cant use loonux
it interferes with my shitposting ability

>but only for GTK2
only one that matters
>and not mainline.
mainline'd be nice, but doesn't really matter, this is foss after all, the point is to be able to modify to suit

post yfw

What's your problem exactly? With that list style view, the thumbnails would be too small to see anyway. Besides, do you want your family/friends seeing EVERY image in a directory whenever you browse through it? The preview alone is fine; even today Windows 7 doesn't have a proper image preview in its file picker, so Linux is way ahead on that.

gnome has become a red hat side project, there's no point in anyone else trying to contribute

So what do you suggest the udp module be written in? Rust? Java?

Exactly. When C came out, IBM mainframes were just barely starting to overcome the 16MiB memory barrier.

Do you think anyone would go near it if it were written in Rust? And C actually has great scalability compared to say COBOL, FORTRAN, or BASIC - the languages that were in use when it came out. Those languages didn't even have proper functions.

>os x
assuming a pic doesnt have time stamp its searching is fast. windows 7 explorer is the best though.

>Besides, do you want your family/friends seeing EVERY image in a directory whenever you browse through it?

pedophile detected

Javascript :^)

So I take it you don't mind letting your mom use your flash drive to transfer files?

Rust

fuck i took the bait

>GUI is MEANT for Object Oriented
you can program for GUI in pretty much any language now
however, if you're talking about displaying stuff, that's where C comes in. x and wayland are both programmed in C.

>you have to test your program for possible security vulnerability
oh no, we have to actually test our software! we have to write tests and make sure everything is stable and secure!

for other arguments, redirect yourself here:
daniel.haxx.se/blog/2017/03/27/curl-is-c/

> Won't enable gridview because I dont know how to use GTK in C and won't admit it
> GUI is meant for OOP and C doesn't have the sophistication
Were you born fucking yesterday? You sound like a privileged panjeet. Be greatful the first java compilers were written in C so pajeets like you with no knowledge of memory allocation or instruction sets can program in basically english.

This meme is getting stale AF. I know Sup Forums is shit tier at programming but the ((I'm retarded)) memes aren't funny at all.

C is ugly as a sin and no one wants to touch it. And you do realise that the topic was about gtk, right?
#include
#include
#include

#include

int main()
{
Display *d;
Window w;
XEvent e;
int s;

if (!(d = XOpenDisplay(NULL))) {
fprintf(stderr, "lel rekt, just like any other C trash\n");
exit(1);
}

s = DefaultScreen(d);
w = XCreateSimpleWindow(d, RootWindow(d,s), 0, 0, 110, 20, 0,
0, WhitePixel(d,s));
XSelectInput(d, w, ExposureMask | KeyPressMask);
XMapWindow(d,w);

while (1) {
XNextEvent(d, &e);
if (e.type == Expose) {
XDrawString(d, w, DefaultGC(d, s), 5, 15, "C is cancer!", 17);
}
}

XCloseDisplay(d);
return 0;
}

>Be greatful the first java compilers were written in C so pajeets like you with no knowledge of memory allocation or instruction sets can program in basically english.
Why the fuck did you bring that up, C pajeet. Go poo in the pool of poo

that dumb bitch cant even connect a playstation to the wifi. also i am not a sexual degenerate with terabytes of blacked and pedo shit. i openly shitpost in front of my family,and if you are with friends why the fuck would you go on Sup Forums?

Not him but I openly shitpost on Sup Forums in front of friends, not family. Stay cucked whiteboi

I can't tell if his arm is ridiculously long and he is holding the note closely to the camera while standing 5 meters away or if that's just a giant board.