Who is the greatest programmer of all time?

>Who is the greatest programmer of all time?

strawpoll.me/12760099

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12761644
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bill gates didn't write Windows and I'm laughing at the fact you decided to include guido.
Jokes aside, Donald Knuth and Rob Pike are great. As is Terry, despite the memes.

>wrote Windows
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

if you picked anything but knuth you're wrong and retarded

aye

>no terry davis

Its like you didnt even try

Voted for based Gates, can't kill the Bill.

I picked Torvalds who will save the world from incompatibility. What are you going to do about it, faggot?

where's terry

Skeet is a code monkey.

If you want to mention Googlers, put Jeff Dean there, he got his name on every big paper Google publishes.

/carmackboys/ ww@?

Terry Davis, the programmer chosen by God

Where the fuck is Dijkstra?

Well, fuck you

Dennis Richie wrote a programming language 45 years ago that is still relevant and efficient today and will be for the foreseeable future. Such a feat in the computer field (considering how fast things advance and are deprecated) is pretty much god level IMO.

Bjarne Stroustrup

>no dijkstra or john mccarthy
>bill gates wrote windows

gas yo self

A complete hack and a tool that basically copied Dennis the Mannis.

> Guido van Rossum
> created a language with significant whitespace, despite decades of wisdom and experience indicating that's a bad idea

And I managed to misspell his name.
Ritchie*

Knuth is definitely the best computer scientist of the bunch, he has created more value in the computer world than anyone of the other guys, but is he the best programmer? Not sure. Maybe Stallman in that case.

>not RMS

it's like you want to be cucked by nonfree software

steve jerbs

If you vote anything other than Stallman then you don't belong on this board. There's a reason why he, and no one else, was chosen to be the sticky.

Stallman is more of a philosopher than a programmer

>No Ken or Dijkstra
Wew fucking lad. Delet yourself.

Sorry, but meme-tier autism regarding software philosophy doesn't make you a good programmer

Look at all these edgy fan bois thinking they are the shit by saying Dijkstra. That man contributed nothing but a simple graph algorithm that even a high school kid can think of in a day.

Where's Terry?

where the fuck is my man Terry

Gates has not writen windows but an BASIC interpreter. MSDOS was written by Patterson and windows by another guy. Gates was a manager.

>no bjarne stroustrup
o-ok senpai

>

>t. dropped out after first CS semester.

Larry Wall desu.

>Dijkstra contributed nothing but an algorithm
Except he also actually proved it in the same paper. By doing so, he showed that formal logic and algorithm study were two sides of the same coin.

Also, he invented sempahores, which are fucking essential for concurrent programming.

Knuth. Not only an amazing programmer, he also introduced the first bug bounty program that I know of.

Lennart Poetering should be on that list to rustle some jimmies.

Where is Terry?

dennis ritchie is the only answer

Knowing what I know about doom, and carmacks programing history, I have to give it to him.

everyone else on this list while they made fantastic contributions to computing, carmacks practical application of programing along with solving problems that hardware just was not capable of doing at the time he made the advancements... this is what makes me respect his work.

He had a physical limit, and decided fuck you i'll make this shit work, and the mad man got the shit to work.

The straw poll says greatest game developer of all time, but he was never a developer for games, he was a programmer that had input on the games at first, and after doom was really just a programer that got shit done.

dis

Where is the option to pick our gnu lord and savior, Lennart Poettering?

Windows should be disqualified. You can't judge about programming skills of a program without reading the source code.

Gates is a businessman not a fucking programmer

in trash, where it belongs, senpai

Ava Lovelace seems to be missing

>no Eric S. Raymond
>no Terry Davis

Kill yourself my man

Why is Richard Stallman even on that list, he doesn't even care about writing quality code. He only cares about his communist license, that is his main contribution. GNU software is fucking disgusting is not even a good example of well written software, but the opposite.

Putting Stallman on the same list as people like Knuth is insulting an exposes you as a fucking ignorant asshole.

>No Woz
Shitty questionnaire

>Eric S. Raymond
Wtf did he contribute? He's a fucking tech journalist with an edgy ancap ideology.

he probably watched Revolution OS and thought he was anything more than a shitty author

Almost everyone in the OP is more notorious for their ideology spouting than the code they wrote

Terry A Davis

>Stallman
He doesn't even deserve a mention.

Just like Stallman, except that he is a commie

Stallman actually did code back in the day. ESR is just an edgy author who hasn't been relevant since he tried to troll FSF with his alternative non-copyleft open source license spinoff thingy in the early 2000s.

>this stupid
His code is everywhere user, notably in GPS systems which is in military equipment and every android phone

OP is a faggot as always
Bill gates didn't wrote window
KYS
THIS

>in GPS systems which is in military equipment and every android phone
Uh, no. He wrote a tool that reads data from a GPS receiver and made nethack. Hardly any accomplishments.

Significant whitespace would have made goto fail impossible. It's stupid to have two different ways of indicating program structure, one for humans and one for computers, that aren't even guaranteed to match up.

>fanatic anarcho-capitalist contributed to a mass surveillance program
Why am I not surprised? He probably sells your location data to big corporations too.

Ada*

This poll is like asking which physicists is the most important to physics and everyone answers either Einstein or Newton because thats the only two physicists normies know about.

Walter Bright desu

>all those retards not voting for Donald Knuth

How influential can he really be when I never even heard of him until today?

you include guido but not stroustrup?

>when I never even heard of him until today?
TeX, Metafont, MIMIX, KMP algorithm, The Art of Computer Programming

>MIMIX
?

Did you mean MINIX? I'm pretty sure that's Tannenbaum's work.

Why is that list so bad?
Linus: wrote a tiny part of 1 shitty kernel and some scuba driving program
Stalled man: didn't even write for the past 20 years, besides just made a harmful license known as GPL
Jon Skeet: who?
Amit Singhal: who is that pajeet?
John Carmack: made some games. probably ok
Dennis Ritchie: C is good, but it's just in a good place and time
Bill Gates: not even a programmer
Guido something: just made a shitty language, amoeba was a better thing
Donald Knuth: good book writer

i'd choose Rob Pike

>TeX
Only alive because CS as an academic field is filled with neckbeards from the 1970s. It's a reason why it's almost exclusively used in CS and mathematics.

>Metafont
Never heard of it

>MIMIX
Never heard of it

>KMP algorithm
Second semester CS-tier

>TAoCP
Unfinished and incomplete behemoth that stopped being relevant some time in the 80s.

Rob Pike is the reason why Go has include directives allowing you to download code directly from GitHub, but failed to implement any kind of version control for it.

Google doesn't care about this because they do everything rolling on a mono-repo anyway

I know, but it's horrible for any form of dependency on external repos. There exist this kludge where you cram some stuff into a configuration file, but honestly it's just god awful.

Dinosaurs like Rob Pike should just stay away and keep their overrated UNIX philosophy to themselves. Clearly they haven't realised that the world has moved beyond C preprocessor include directives.

>TeX
For this alone he should be hanged

Have you never written a function prototype that's longer than 80 (or whatever limit you use) characters? That's when brackets come in use.

You sound like such a naive millennial

where's terry

{\bfseries DELET THIS}

Stallman was a gifted programmer before going full time into FSF politics, he also was a gifted computer scientist despite not being a computer scientist

cormack

He could have done all sorts of stuff at MIT's AI lab, but that broken printer driver really really really pushed him over the edge, didn't it?

It's kind of sad, in a way. But then again, without Stallman, there would be no GCC, which is arguably the biggest contribution to FSF, even more so than the GPL.

Nature

Whoever created Java.

>voting for a literal sociopath like Carmack
Haha ew why

Literally this

>carmack

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

that fat cunt did noting but harm the world

>no terry
Your poll is fucking shit, here's a better version.
strawpoll.me/12761644

Miyu ;_;

>good poll
>leaves Bill Gates untouched
retard

I didn't bother fixing the rest of the glaring mistakes with the poll, too lazy for that.

where the fuck is Alan Turing™, the inventor of all programming languages ever?

Fuck yeah.

>people unironically choosing Stallman

>no Dan Ingalls
>no Dave Cutler
>no Richard Greenblatt
>no Bill Gosper
>no James Gosling
>no Dave Moon
>no Bill Atkinson
>no Larry Malone
>no Bill Joy
>no Charles Symonyi
This poll sucks, OP is a newfag.

I wanna write guido as a joke statement, but you're so fucking retarded you'd probably fail to see it as a joke,

>GAHNOOO Commie above Carmack
You retards and your memes