CAD in current year

>only one open-source product (FreeCAD) in top 15
>only three products have free-tier (Fusion 360, SketchUp, OnShape)

Why is the CAD market so shit?

CAD is generally a fucking shitshow how badly it runs, almost as bad as SAP software

why isn't Catia v5 on here?

then you, good sir, have never used unigraphics nx.

insane expensive, but basically perfect. if you want to know if it can do something, the answer is yes.

>won't even give out pricing unless you call a sales rep and explain in detail how many users are going to use it for what type of work and how much revenue your company generated last year

Why do they do this?

>Why is the CAD market so shit?
Because CAD market is very narrow compared to other many markets.

Because it's CAD/CAM/CAE.
Those listed are purely CAD software.

That being said, CATIA is extremely powerful but has a fucking retarded UI.

They don't want niggers using their software, it's Siemens, they're the American Express of Software.

>Fusion 360
That shit is trash compared to Inventor.

>tfw no OpenSCAD

Where's the EDA?

I thought this thread was about the Canadian dollar

>FreeCAD actually made it into the top 15
Impressive in all honesty.

that's only marketshare; poor people love free shit, and even then its only 1.9% marketshare, like shitnux

>CNC
>AutoCAD

Lord have mercy.

catia has only 0,4%

You mean, why is the open source CAD market so shit.

Commercial CAD has been moving along fine because real engineers use them in real corporations, not random neckbeards in BDSM communities like what you have in the software world.

It's free to use if you're a hobbyist though.

You have to pay money for Inventor.

You have to be pretty dumb not to get Autodesk products for free

The CAD market is fine. You're complaining that expensive software isn't free. That has no bearing on the health of the market.

I made dosh back in high school by selling education keys for autodesk products products on ebay

Catia v6 (v5 is purely standalone and not good for projects with more than one DE....) all the way for any real engineering work (especially surfacing).....At a real job....

Not "hobbyists" with 3D printers who complain about software licensing costs and how it doesn't run on *nix....

For the same reason that semicondutor EDA software is dogshit, people with the requisite knowledge in both "making non-nosebleed UI/UX" and that specific field is minimal. Also backwards compatibility.

>you have to be slaving at a giant faceless megacorp using your middle-management mandated tools to be qualified as a "real job", otherwise you'll be labelled as a hobbyist by some overweight Sup Forumsedditor
ok bub, whatever lets you sleep at night.

FreeCAD got into the top 15 despite the existence of other tools that are both free of charge (or charge very little) and most likely more dumbass friendly as well.
Your heavily overpriced "real job" pajeetware did not.
get over it lol

>need to draw building
>need drawing to contain xref files
>need drawing to be compatible with other useful architectural software
the only choice that fulfills all of these while not having a totally shit UI is the autodesk suite unfortunately

its fucking barbaric

Holy fuck freecad is doing better than expected. I need to know if one can change the wall dimentions permamently for new walls

So they can cater a licensing term to ream your asshole for maximum jewry.

>> real engineers

Yea the ones who have no idea how real projects work let alone, have never stepped inside a home depot

>I need to know if one can change the wall dimentions permamently for new walls

Alright, please let a foreman onto a workstation and ask him to work on a design.

>commercial CAD software are good

No, nearly all of them are nightmare to work with.

They are better than open-source alternatives or at least allow you to do things open-source software won't.

What's a good CAD software to learn to design cheap trinkets to print on 3D printer?

Read a book, take a class. CAD is a tool used by M.E.'s as part of a goal; not an end unto itself. In the industry you generally train to use what's considered the industry standard or what everyone else uses. You're a SWX guy, a ProE guy, CATIA/NX, etc. They're a nightmare if you don't have a clue what you're doing.

Sketchup. Seriously.

Anybody hear of BricsCAD? How is it?

>using anything but SolidWorks or CATIA
AutoCAD a shit. It has some really retarded quirks, especially when it comes to the print drafting section of the program.

not him, but i use solidworks
i agree it's a nightmare to work with
it all looks good on the outside, looks nice, basic interface is fine, has all the features you'd want listed
but there's a ton of things that trip you up everywhere you go
and holy shit is it unstable as fuck, it'll crash doing just about anything, even nothing

Fusion 360 can do much more than sketchup, but it's harder to learn.

IIRC they're both free, so I'd recommend you try both out and see what you like.

OpenSCAD?

autocad is great for architecture and civil engineering, i mean there are certainly more specialized programs but its a really good standardized tool.
Also the plotting section is easy, you are just too retarded to figure out the scale settings

What erhm... Is something about AutoCAD not good for CNC purposes compared to the next piece of software?

Do CNC machines eat files from all these different programs?

If I just need something cut with a waterjet or something will most of them understand FreeCAD for example, or do most of them require files from the market leaders?

Because you left out CADAM and CATIA.
You know, the stuff the real pros use.

No, you can just give them a DXF file of almost any version. Lots of stuff spits that out. (Drawing Exchange Format).

Be nice to the dudes on the shop floor and put all your dimensions and text on a layer separate from the geometry you want cut.

A cam program that supports the file type can convert it into g-code

Fusion 360 is subscription based but I'd still use it over SketchUp any day. It's basically Inventor Lite but it's still eons ahead of anything SketchUp can do.