>decide to wipe it using DBAN because Sup Forums says is the best
>leave it doing its thing
>during the night a tree falls and electricity cuts out
>later check the drive and notice it's failing and has around 2000 bad sectors
>before the that day it showed it was healthy as fuck and had no bad sectors

WTF HAPPENED!!!!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Is there any way to fix this?

Before you didn't know it had any bad sectors. DBAN works well as a hardware test.

Shoulda used hdderase

>Stresses HDD for hours
>Wonders why it is now failing

I thought this could be a software error since the pc shut down when DBAN was doing its thing.

HDD never presented any problems, in fact it still works, no weird clicking noises, very quiet, and as fasts as when I got it.

>want to sell HDD

Well there's your problem

You don't fucking sell HDDs.

Not that user, but what if I want to sell an old laptop?

Take the hdd out

why not?

>BAN because Sup Forums says is the best
This is wrong. If you read the wiki, you'd know opening a temporary plain dm-crypt container over the drive and writing with zeros is as effective and faster.

>He doesn't have a UPS

DBAN can do a single pass with values from a mersenne twister RNG which is really really fast.

Plus no OS overhead.

>single pass
Yeah, so can the above method, and I wager writing from /dev/zero is still faster.

Last time I checked the wiki recommended DBAN

I've been using my ST250DM000-1BD141, and ST380815AS since 2006 and have never had a single problem with them ever. I've had them in every new pc i've ever built, the files are too important. FeelsGoodMan.

I coughed up my dinner laughing at this cat

Holy christ I'm not the only one that does this. I even bought new drives and have them as well, when I could just as easily copy the main old one onto a new drive.

I'm so autistic.

Yeah, I COULD copy them to my two BarraCuda ST3000DM008s, but im retarded. Every time I post my spec sheet: user why do you have dinodrives in your rig

how do you survive?
4tb of storage is minimum nowadays

the ST3000DM008s are 3 tb each, i have a samsung PM871 128gb ssd as boot, a 250gb ST250DM000-1BD141, 80 gb ST250DM000-1BD141, and 80 gb ST380815AS. Thats 6.538tb

>having 3tb seagate drives

wew lad, I hope you made some backups

I know how shillgate works. I have a 80tb archival NAS, copped the rack from my school for 200 bucks. I dont keep anything too serious on them. I use HGST 8TB Ultrastars

*too serious on the segates

>I have a 80tb archival NAS
post pics

>what is a magnet
That's how you should have done it in the first place

But I didn't want to drestoy it.

> >during the night a tree falls and electricity cuts out
> >later check the drive and notice it's failing and has around 2000 bad sectors
You just have a bad luck.
Also, it's possible that there was some bad sectors, but since nothing was written on them, they were hidden.
I tested 1,5TB drive with f3write/f3read at this weekend and syslog shows an increased number of bad and pending sectors, but SMART status only displayed "pending" for a year before this. So I'd say if you're going to overwrite it, it will shorten its lifespan.

> 80tb archival NAS
W A T
RAID level?