Which is the ((Thinkpad)) of...dumbphones?

Which is the ((Thinkpad)) of...dumbphones?

nokia 515
gorilla glass with no touscreen, metal case
looks like new since 2013

love my tactile keyboard

forgot to add...
in terms of repairability and parts to replace. If i need to replace the screen theres a chink selling said parts online

and yes, i keep posting this every time a dumbphone thread comes up, i really like it a lot

Where do you buy these Nokia"s at a reasonable price? I found a 105 for $25, but it doesn't have a camera or nice screen.

where do you even live, how do you want advice if you don't even tell us where you live?

Well I'm not going to buy in person, I'm talking about online vendors. I've ordered Chinese market phones before this way.

still depends on where you live, you might live in a country where you get fucked in the ass with customs fees

anyway, try froogle

Nokia 6300

bump

nothing
it's all stupid, worthless trash

>Not having a thinkpad phone

cheap and durable, although $60 is actually on the steep end for dumb phone prices nowadays

Is this S40?

Does it support J2ME?

>J2ME support on modern dumbphones
They don't do that shit anymore. Or else you have autist ranting around, saying "IF YOU WANT A PHONE WITH MORE FEATURES, JUST GET A SMARTPHONE"

>Not waterproof

Into the trash

It's just a reskined N73. It runs S60

>cheap plastic trash popular among brand loyal autists
Yes, yes it is

Nokia E52/72, can be found for under $20 mint, abundant replacement parts both from chinks and on jewbay, portrait qwerty if that's your thing, week+ battery life even with 3g...

why the fuck would you repair a dumbphone just spend another 10$ on another one

I got a cramp in my left butt cheek and it's hurting quite a lot.
Help.

>cheap plastic trash
acceptable because the phones really are cheap

I kinda wish I'd bought it when it was still widely available

now it is hard to find and I think pretty expensive

but my 225 works just fine so whatever

not actually dumbphones. Symbian S60 is a smartphone OS. also have a hard time believing in that battery life from past experience w/ plenty of Symbian smartphones, isn't their talk time like 6 hours

More like "smart", for the S60 I think it's something of an in-between step but yes, I would consider S^3 a smartphone OS.
You may be right about the battery on the newer devices like some of the samsungs but all of my nokias on S60 like the E72, hell even the E6 which is on s^3 never last less than a week on the stock battery they came with new.

perkele

Well, back then I did use mine pretty heavily (plenty of e-mail, some web browsing, lots of notes, calendar and such). I had N93, E90 for a very long time, some other S60 models like N70 for a shorter time. They hardly lasted much better than modern smartphones. I should try using E90 again. My old one broke (some water damage on the speaker) but I've acquired a mint one.

> I think it's something of an in-between step
Not really, they can run native applications made for them, they're thus smartphones. They don't really lack any "smart" functionality. Pick related runs the same S60, surely it is a smartphone.

>They don't do that shit anymore
That sucks, I would love to play some old J2ME-games.

Hands down

>form over function: the phone
Not that I don't like but come on, even when it was new, people criticized it for lack of functionality and the shitty user interface,

I just liked the feel of the keypad..and the click sound when flipping the phone open

Who is she?

>doesn't know
Motoko Kusanagi

pleb

HNNNGGGGGG
can you use whatsapp on it?

this thing

bump and why is this phone so fucking expensive? I saw it for 90 to 150 yurobux on ebay, for 150 I can get a zuk z2 kek

I imagine because Nokia recently switched ownership and these models aren't being made anymore. They're supposed to launch some new stuff this year.

I have on, it's ace, girls love it.

good conversation starter.

It's even got an fm radio and a torch.

can i still play old nokia java games on it?

yes you can.

you sure it is still supported?

I think whatsapp dropped support for a lot of devices at the beginning of 2017

i saw my friend use whatsapp on shitty nokia phone about 5 years ago. Even they dropped support you can still use it i think just find the installation file.

Do you believe even the 10-11 years old shitty nokia phones have ancient version of modern day applications. Like very old version of opera and they doesn't even change the interface until these days and more amazing part is it's working like a hell.

sorry for autism

Modern feature phones don't have J2ME unfortunetly.

Maybe it'd still work with the right file, but I wouldn't count on it.

Whatsapp is such bullshit, really. It supports a very limited number of platforms, can only be run on one device at a time (unless we count the shitty web whatsapp, which can't run standalone) and so on.

Totally senseless limitations. One of the worst modern social medias, in a way, in the way it ties you to use it in such a particular way.

Yet I can't stop using it because everyone else around me uses it as well.

>Voice and SMS only
>2G GSM only (quad band)
>5hr talk, 500hr standby
>$300
SWITZERLAND YES

watch Ghost in the Shell

Some posts ITT reminded me of the pre-iPhone days when I still loved to follow the development of new smartphones with great attention. They were expensive back then, so obviously I owned 2-5 at a time only, resold the ones that weren't so good.

>tfw all the phones I read about back then are cheap as hell nowadays
>would love to buy them to try and dick around with
>but can't justify hoarding too many of them

Maybe I should just screw it and start a collection. A solid collection of phones from the golden ages of Nokia would actually be kinda cool to own 10-20 years from now.

but only for A E S T H E T H I C C factors, user.
dumb old phones are useless if carriers kill the bands they started with

>have and old Sony Ericsson from 2005
>bands got killed by carriers for no reason
>now i just call the phone "drawer-space"

>what is industrial design
why don't companies even fucking try anymore? holy shit that looks fugly

Oh, of course.

I'm actually Finnish and thus Nokia in particular has a bigger cultural significance for me.

The old Nokia symbolizes the time when our economy was doing well, we had these big dreams, we were so modern, great at technology and stuff. We were so proud of Nokia.

Now we've been like 10 years in a state of economic "crisis"; we don't have a proper vision of the future. The decline of Nokia symbolizes the decline of our whole nation.

How dare you? That's a high-end hipster phone that would look great in any everyday carry thread.

The front panel would look good if it wasn't for those deliberately misaligned buttons. Also, what does the book button do? I'm guessing the speech bubble is texting.

anyone know a dumbphone that can do tethering so i can use it with my laptop?

if you cant find any then do dis:

look up old Symbian Nokias (S60 3rd edition should be the safest bet)
find one that has wi-fi and 3G (+ HSDPA if you desire ecen better speeds))
install an application that allows you to tether it
use it

USB tethering is also technically supported on them but I dunno if it is convenient to make it work with all handsets and OS:s (google it)

(back when I used USB tethering on my old Nokias, I used some shitty Nokia windows application to make it work. I also had some unofficial application that allowed the creation of a wi-fi hotspot on the mobile phone itself)

thinkpad of phones coming through

If you didn't own it, you were a shit

What model is this? I'd like to have one as a spare/emergency dumbphone.

130, my man

/thread

I jelly

Does anyone have any suggestions for one of those nip flipphones?

Why is this so far down?

Is there a name to such brick type phones?