/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 & i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470 , RX480, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>470 is all you need for 1080p
>Wait for RX 580 in a few days
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in DX12/Vulkan atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX470, unless price/performance is better (discounted/used)
>Vega comes in May

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Save money w/ mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157762
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009996
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XCg6d6
pcpartpicker.com/list/KfRdcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/jrqZjc
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/KtRdcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/dTqvcc
legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-overclocking-best-ryzen-processor_192191/4
pcpartpicker.com/list/NCCR6X
pcpartpicker.com/user/nahciino/saved/7LCcf7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm hoping you gents can help me out a bit. I'm trying to piece together a secondary PC to use as a dedicated streaming/encoding PC and double as my home server. I already own a decent gaming PC that I can stream from, just really want no additional CPU usage on it so I can crunch together a really high quality encode without affecting gameplay using OBS.

I currently own all of the peripherals, including GPU, I will need for this, just basically need a CPU, motherboard, and RAM capable of decent quality x264 encoding (720p60fps, ideally on OBS's medium or slower presets). The fly in the ointment: I own a functional Z97 motherboard already, but it only has a locked Pentium in it (long story.) Bottom line: LGA 2011/2011v3/shoot for a good ebay deal on a 4770k and hope it's enough? Or do I go Ryzen to make this happen? Ryzen seems to be almost impossibly good for the price. Thanks for the advice.

VEGA

>multithreaded applications
Get an R5, or an R7 if you have the budget. No ifs ands or buts.

The 1600 compares favorably to the 8c/16t Xeon according to CPU mark. I found on ebay for $100, but I'd need to buy a sketchy LGA 2011 mobo to go with it as well as a cooler. Downside to Ryzen is I'd need to buy some DDR4 which has really spiked in price.

What are the recommended b350 boards for someone interested in pairing it with a 1600?

Wondering this myself. The B350 mortar still having issues? Not encouraged by Newegg reviews though I've had decent MSI mobos in the past.

Mid range stuff seems to be in an awkward 1080p-1440p zone when it comes to 60fps gaming.

And the monitor pricing favors the 1080p stuff so I'm not sure if I should invest in a "gaming" monitor first and get a 1080p@144hz IPS monitor or try and get a workstation monitor first with a 1440p@60hz IPS without freesync or any bells and whistles

The pro4 is out of stock, hopefully it will be in soon.

Is 16 GB the minimum now?

Where is the seasonic $50? I checked the link earlier today and it's up to 70 again.

The ASRocks Pro4 is perfect.

Up to you. 1440p vs. 144hz. Keep in mind, getting stable 144 is a harder than getting 1440p.

>outta stock
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157762

???

>16gb
Yes.

>seasonic
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119
50$ after rebate. For some reason, PCpartpicker isn't reflecting that. If you go to Superbiz, you can get it for 45$.

I am actually torn between tree different b350 boards as well.

ASRock AB350M
GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3
MSI B350 TOMAHAWK

>ASSrock

>ASSrock

Asrock is no worse than these other Taiwanese fucks.

Should I commit to this?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009996

I'm now familiar with monitor brands or functionality, but the stats are what I want. I just want a big IPS screen for doing work.

Gigabyte Gaming 3 looks pretty good, unless you want a small form factor board.
They're all only a 4-phase VRM for VCore, so don't expect big overclocks on 8-cores, but otherwise they all look fine.

>I'm now
not*

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XCg6d6

are you happy now user?

No mobo?

>ASUS RX 480
>canadian prices
FUUUUUCK THAT

That's not true.

>i7 with 480
Try again.

?

>paying 400 cucks to buy Intel
remove leaf

still not decided on one. I'll pick after I'm done since there's still a lot of choices

great reasoning and motives faggots

>i7 with 480
Not too much wrong with this desu.

What reasoning do you want? The i7 is a waste of money unless you're enthusiast, which isn't a 480. The 480 is also a waste when the 580 is about to come out.

> (You)
>That's not true.

pleb here who never built and never had a good pc
i'm planning to get this: pcpartpicker.com/list/KfRdcc

how good is it? any suggestion?

So I have a decent HP case, and an evga 600w power supply lying around, and I kind of have the building itch. I figured it would be a nice opportunity to get used to Linux (probably mint or something) as a daily driver OS.
Do you think these types of parts are the way to go? I checked around my local craiglist for Ram, seems people are only selling laptop SODIMMs and the only decently price i3/pentium is a 50 minute drive away. I wasn't really willing to go older than ddr3 memory, which also means cpu's were limited too.
tl;dr, cheap ass linux web browsing pc, used parts in my area suck. What do you guys think?

r8 my build
pcpartpicker.com/list/jrqZjc

fair enough about the 480. I should've explained what I was after in the first place

I want to be able to play at consistent 60+ FPS 1080p (or 720p when I start falling behind) for years to come and stream some games smoothly as well. The 480 is there as a placeholder as I wait for the 18th and the review of the 480. I'm also looking at emulation which, as I'm told, is really reliant on the CPU

Literally everything is wrong with this.

explain

>pcpartpicker.com/list/KfRdcc
Better off with a 1500X.

Pretty sure ASRock is 6 phases.

>i5
Read the OP.

Solid budget build.

Bait?

>I want to be able to play at consistent 60+ FPS 1080p
The 1600 + 470 will do that, and far smoother than any i5 or even some i7s will give you (see OP's pic).

>emulation
Depends on the emulator. CEMU is having a hard time with AMD, but that might be fixed soon considering they're still way unoptimized to the point even a 7700k at 5ghz can't get solid 30fps. If you really want to future proof, I'd wait on the 580/570.

I complied with most of your suggestions and I'm back to my original cost of under $700, albeit with higher quality components. I'm however reluctant to shell out my shekels for 16 gb of RAM. Can you show me why I should?

(You)
>Bait?
No, I've never built a PC before. Is it bad?

I dumbed guys, ordered a 1050ti for pickup at canada computers with my cheapo build instead of a 470. hopefully I can change the order.

>inb4 w8 for 570

too impatient, fuck that

Would a 1070 be a good upgrade to a 290

5th quote user here. this is my previous build before trying to switch up the CPU for intel outta fear of compatibility issues. GFX is temporary until I get a good look at the 500 series

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/KtRdcc

Something like this
pcpartpicker.com/list/dTqvcc

meant to reply to

>I'm also looking at emulation which, as I'm told, is really reliant on the CPU
legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-overclocking-best-ryzen-processor_192191/4
AMD hasn't quite closed the gap when it comes to emulation but it finally managed to surpass Sandy Bridge level in terms of IPC. This is assuming that the Dolphin emulator isn't really optimized for Ryzen CPUs just yet.

It's empirical. Remember when 4gb was enough? Now it's not even enough for modded Skyrim. 8gb is fine for now, but in a few years it won't and you'll be stuck with use ram sticks. You could buy one 8gb stick and hope the RAM speed doesn't change too much in the future, but good luck finding the same ram you bought years ago.

Extremely. What are your goals?

Dude, the 570 and 580 come out in two days.

That's an okay build. I'm still firmly behind the AsRocks Pro4 and EVGA PSUs are sketchy. Then again, I don't know CAD prices all too well.

something else I should have asked beforehand: does the cooler that comes bundled with the ryzen 5 fit in the rosewill mini case? how can I tell?

Yea, I know. Idgaf

It's Micro ATX so it should. Only way to truly know is to compare the dimensions, but I highly doubt it wouldn't. That'd be a dumb decision and Rosewill isn't that stupid.

yes

A rig to play some games and occasionally program with. Preferably on the cheaper side (is

so does the build I linked stack up to what I wanted? 1080/60 for a good while and streaming?

Are Galax cards good?

This is my 1080p build: pcpartpicker.com/list/NCCR6X

I'd wait for a better deal on the 470. The case is aesthetic/noise/airflow autism, look up your own if you want a better deal. Get the CPU for 30 dollars cheaper on Jet (coupon: SPRING15)

Under 900, not bad?

Yes, but I'd change the 1060 to a 480/580. Cheaper and better.

how does the 580 compare to the 1080?

Not their low end shit. Only go high.

Can you stop making the thread images these stupid charts? I want my funny thread editions

pcpartpicker.com/user/nahciino/saved/7LCcf7
good now?

yeah I'm holding out for the 500 series

holy shit the price on that fractal case
that's the cheapest I've seen yet, my R4 was 89.99

It doesnt. Its performance is somewhere between the 1060 3GB and the 1070
>also this

looks good
throw in a 1TB caviar blue WD for mass storage
unless you're one of those who hoards all forms of medium for offline use

1070 EX OC?

That's pretty ideal. No critique from me.

Yeah, at the very least it should give one more solid set of deals on the 400s.

Provide an image then.

i feel like i should've waited for the 500 series cards. I waited for ryzen 5 and i felt like that was enough.

hope they don't outperform the 1070's

worth it but only if the price makes sense compared to other aftermarket brands
do some market comparisons for fucks sake

Vega most likely will. But not these 500s

I have. It's cheaper than the average 1070s in lolstralia is right now, hence the question.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Buy it then. To ignorant amerifats galax is some no name brand but they probably don't remember that its the old galaxy brand, they had to do a name change.

Hoping it goes sub-60. Seemed it did around Dec 2016, but I wasn't building then.

Thanks. Last card I bought was a GTX 690 so I'm kinda out of the loop.

Hi all, I'm trying to do 1440p/60 gaming with a Ryzen + GTX 1070 build. Do you think it can be done?

your cpu might need to be upgraded too, what is it?

Yes, but swap the 1070 for a R9 Fury. Ryzen + Nvidia = gimped.

Ryzen 5* If so what mobo do you recommend? Otherwise I have this build ready to go.

noo, get a 480

Ugh, I'd rather save up to buy an i7 than buy an AMD card

does the ryzen cooler come with thermal paste already on it?

need to know if i should add some paste to my cart

Yes. It's pre-applied.
I hope having a decent stock cooler after 10 fucking years spurs Intel to finally stop gimping on their stock coolers. FUCK PUSH PINS FUCK THAT PLASTIC SHIT GIVE ME BACK MY FIRST BUILD'S MOBO INTEL YOU JEWS

>Ugh, I'd rather save up to buy an i7 than buy an AMD card
You're retarded. Look at OPs pic again.

you might want to upgrade that *cough* bottlenecks *cough*

>Sandy Bridge
You did good, it's the CPU that keeps on kicking.

>r9 fury
>4GB
>1GHz
And this competes with Nvidia how? Even with the GPU usage problems?

Really makes me think

The furries made sense when you could snag them at $240-$260 around Black Friday last year. They're almost out of stock so they're back at $350 and make no sense now so ignore that cuck. Also, clockspeed doesn't really matter so much when comparing two different GPU architectures and Fury cards have HBM, different than the GDDR5, so its 4 GB is a little misleading.

Still 50 cheaper than 1070 for 90 percent performance.

Bleh, too close for comfort with entry level 1070s being had at $360 after rebates on Newegg, given the need for a beefier PSU as well as the 4 GB constraints. Like I said, they were a steal at $250, not so much at $350 in mid 2017 with little Vega looming.

Yes, yes I am.

Maybe I'll consider it. But thats the Fury X, which is water cooled isnt it? I want the regular Fury.

Same shit. Think fury x does a few frames better. Just wait for vega or 580 until vega. Nvidia isnt worth it for 1080p or 1440p 60fps

We are mostly talking about the Sapphire Nitro Fury non-X which used to be available cheap, but not anymore. Either way, Fury and Fury X are almost 2 years old and are only hanging on thanks to AMD FineWine and Nvidia being incompetent at DX12. Wait for Vega.

At what point will GDDR5 or GDDR5X finally give way to HBM2?

should I buy a m.2 drive that isn't nvme, just to store games on for example the mx300 or WD blue m.2

What's a well built case for around $50-$70?

May for the high end.
probably 2019ish for the mainstream.

It's it's cheaper or you're limited on room, sure.

Fractal Define S no window 69.99 burgers RIGHT NOW AAAAAAAHHHHHH

You could, but why would you want to? 2.5" drives do not take that much space and they aren't cheaper either, there's nothing you'd gain for doing that. I'd rather leave the m.2 slot free for future upgrades.

Is the performance gained from switching to a 1500X worth it if I have pic related?

>1500X
no

>1600 or 1600X
yes

but id say you might need a new gpu first