Need some honest opinions here Sup Forums, what do y'all think of the 2016 macbook pro?

Need some honest opinions here Sup Forums, what do y'all think of the 2016 macbook pro?

I got really good grades at uni last term and my parents are willing to replace my laptop (T420) that's been limping along for a while now.

Been running manjaro on my thinkpad because I can't stand Windows 10. Linux is alright but I'd like a little more stability/compatability between programs. What I need most is portability with decent power because I hope to have my next laptop for at least 5 years. Would a macbook fit this criteria?

TLDR: Ignoring the high price, would macbook pro be good for a uni student?

Other urls found in this thread:

buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

its awful.
t. iMac user

Yes, the stigma is strong in uni if you don't have a Mac. You often see it in pictures. Every student has a Mac during lectures. You will feel like a cuck, so get a Mac.

Go to a store and try it out. Either way you got great parents and you should let them know how much you appreciate them.

it's a relatively new design so you should think of it as a "first generation" product. never buy first generation. every company's first generation is plagued by issues they either didn't notice in smaller scale QA testing or couldn't fix in time.

wait until the next refresh, then reviews just in case there's something bonkers like a spontaneously combustive battery, then see how you feel.

if you're asking if, in some theoretical sense, a rMBP would be a good laptop for a university student, sure. i would be wary of the need to buy USB-C adapters for projectors and stuff (and the need to be responsible for your own, rather than trusting that a handful of common adapters will suffice), but whatever. you're probably an undergrad so i doubt you're projecting that often.

if you buy an apple product and then remove OS X i don't know what you're thinking. OS X is basically what you're putting up with some of the hardware's shortcomings for. removing the operating system for something else is idiotic.

Hm thanks for the input I'll consider this. Do you think a refresh with kaby lake/other improvements will be coming pretty soon?

was sidious bogpilled?

Is a regular Macbook going to be acceptable for most college stuff? The mobile processor and singular port scares me

buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

the short version is it'll probably happen this coming fall. Kaby Lake is ready as far as i know, and apple's not trying to hold out for something really much better the way they were until 2015 (which is skewing the average enormously).

in the meantime, get familiar with the issues people have spotted with the current MBP — stuff like battery life variability, keyboard feel (which is apparently hit or miss), and some of the I/O quirks of the lower specced versions. keep them in mind and pointedly look for a delta in the next version when it comes out. if you don't see satisfactory improvements in those areas, then don't get the MBP.

yes.

it's a nice laptop, but it's incredibly expensive, and then you get to pay for the required dongles and cables to connect it to any of your existing usb devices and displays.

it depends on what you mean by "most college stuff". if you're in CS, you'll probably be fine. if engineering, probably not. most other fields, probably fine as well.

if your courses have you doing lots of computationally intensive stuff, they'll always make computing resources available to you. the notion that you *need* a laptop that would even be considered modern by 2010 standards is ludicrous. it would be difficult enough just to revise the course assignments to keep pace with the advance of technology year to year.

i caveat engineering because as far as i know there are no good resources for remoting into another machine and using that for CAD or something. you'd need to go to some computer lab on campus, sit down at an available computer, and work there. and that doesn't sound ideal. at least in CS you can ssh in pretty much whenever you want.

>TLDR: Ignoring the high price,

I would honestly get the 2015 model if possible. The new one was under heavy fire for bugs/battery/etc. Maybe it's fixed now.

The keyboard is atrocious. Everything else is fine.

i have the 2015 rMBP. i love it. if i was in the OP's position i would wait until this fall to see if the next update is better than the de facto first generation we saw last year.

consider that most of us buy laptops once every ~4-5 years (or less frequently than that). i mean even if you have money to burn it's not really a lot of fun to go through the trouble of getting used to a new keyboard and all that shit.

i don't think it's overly optimistic to say that over the next 5 years we'll be seeing a lot more of USB-C devices. in that case, i would really rather be on that bandwagon than not.

i'm really, really enthusiastic about the promise of USB-C. standardizing ports on everything, consolidating AC adapters, faster charging, etc... (some of the advantages come from USB 3.0/3.1, but the clusterfuck is converging). we'll have legacy ports for a long time, but the devices you use all the time will more likely than not transition to USB-C over the next few years.

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

Hey, I'm a 3rd year software engineer and just got this laptop. It's really comfy, you get used to the keyboard. I owned the 2015 and the battery life not different (ignore shills). Also don't get touch bar, kills battery and will become obsolete when they inevitably release 'touch bar 2' and you are stuck with a low res meme. Plus I use vim and happen to like the escape key.

>can't use USB and wifi at the same time

I honestly thought you were joking until i saw louis plug shit in and watch it either chug or just flat out stop.

How is that even possible? is there just a single 'bus' handling all incoming data and if you use a high bitrate data stream through USB it just shuts down the wifi connection?

keyboard sucks, trackpad is enormous. i love usb-c but for now you will still need to carry some dongles
i recently got a dell xps and like it, maybe check stuff like that out

interference, which suggests something isn't shielded properly

intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

Look mom! I posted the debunked list again! I'm a real Sup Forums troll now!

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
wasn't until 2008 or 2009 that they ditched the big single button and went for the "lel entire pad is a button, just poke it bro" meme

t. 2007 & 2013 mbp owner

Yeah. 2012 owner here. I have exactly 1 of the issues he lists. Another one is subjective but I kind of agree. The list is retarded.

I've been using the early 2011 Macbook Pro daily since it came out and i plan on keeping it until 2019 at least.
Just gotta get an SSD and max out the RAM soon.
They're great machines, idk about the newer ones but i'd get the 2015 model instead i guess. Port selection on the 2016 is weird for now (Probably all you need with dongles, and good enough for the next 5 years when USB-C becomes the norm) but still...

>t. mactoddler that can't handle the truth

Get a 2015 refurb

I would say yes