Programming

I'm wanting to learn 3 languages, what should they be?

Other urls found in this thread:

s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=11420287641961981397
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ada, Common Lisp, and Prolog.

lmao

serious answer:
Python, C, C#

>arbitrary plans

How about you learn one and then see where you want to go from there?

X86 ASM, C, python

This is the correct answer.

R, MATLAB, Python

C... why not just C/C++?

my answer is fairly close to yours:
Python, C/C++, Java

HTML
CSS
JavaScript

You are the kind of retard that writes "C/C++" as a skill in his C.V., aren't you.
Jesus fucking Christ that might be like the biggest retard filter in the world.

java, python, and hindi

>this_is_bait.png

Not that dude, but C is better decoupled from C++, and all around more useful. If you want to do OOP use java.

html
css
php

then you can be a freelancer that makes $100k easy

Proper English must be your first, Pajeet.

.net is also a good language if you want to make windows applications

not OP but I'm trying to learn C++ currently, should I abandon it and go for C instead?

yes, you should Java and C before you learn C++, trying to learn OO with C++ is masochistic, and its better to learn about pointers and memory allocation with C because C is much simpler and doesnt hide anything

nah keep on going, but do keep some room for C, even if C is an outdated pile of trash for the modern programming standards, it teaches you some really nice practices. Details that could optimize your code and make your program run much much more faster and-or efficiently.

whats this image supposed to show? c should be huge if its by code written.

this is the worst advice, your better learning first how a programming language actually works then learn c++ if oop ia your thing. java will teach you bad habita and tends to not go into any depth. additionally most java courses are convoluted and have a do now learn later attitude.

R pretty much does everything Matlab does, so forget about Matlab. R, Python, and C# is what I'm doing

this is the worsest advice, you forgot what its like to be a beginner and just grasp the concepts of OO without dealing with clever programming languages. sure Java looks like junk after you have moved on to better languages, but for learning the basics you cant beat it

C++, Python, Prolog.

javascript rust html

What's the easiest programming language to learn which has at least a hint of usefulness?

might as well learn C/C++/C# as one language, would be just as useful.

Rust, Java, Python.

Python.

I've got a question for professional developers in here. Sorry for the blogpost in advance.
>implying not everyone here is NEET but whatever

Up until recently my main role in the company I work for (

I think once I learn Python, I'm going to try to learn Ruby, then C
C because I want to learn the assembly language

wanna make monies? This order:

java, html5, css, javascript,

wanna go full autistic faggot: this order:

assembly , c++, c

wow how did you do that

this

i learned on c++, it was my first programming language. as anecdotal as it is compared to the people at my uni who did the java course there is miles of difference in skill after that one semester. you could even go through learning c++ in a similar style to the way java is taught, just more work is required from from the student. also first languages should be non oop stuff like c lisp and python

>R pretty much does everything Matlab does, so forget about Matlab.
This, if you wanna do data crunching R is much older and a much more established language.

This is not only wrong, it's also wrong.

Ruby is much easier to learn because it's more intuitive compared to Python. Example:
$ Python
$ exit
> Use exit() or Ctrl-D (i.e. EOF) to exit

The program clearly understands what you want, but it doesn't actually let you do it. That is very poor design.

Meanwhile in Ruby
$ irb
$ exit

Boom, it exits.

Like your css, user, please share?

no i mean why does it change when i open it

I've done this in C++

``` // checking the result:
switch (winner) {
case 'T': cout

Okay, so you don't do ``` to open and close it, idk how to do it then. Just ignore the ``` in the code then.

exit is just a string with "Use exit() or Ctrl-D (i.e. EOF) to exit". It's just a value, not a function. I wouldn't say its a flaw, rather a language limitation.

filtered

s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=11420287641961981397

On Google Chrome, you need 4chanx, tampermonkey, and oneechan.

literally read the fucking sticky
it's right in there
dumb idiot

Sorry.

// checking the result:
switch (winner) {
case 'T': cout

This.

Thanks, user

rust for embedded gadget development,
python for quick concept pretotyping,
C# for large scale structures.

C, Rust, Haskell

>he fell for the three C's meme

your a junior on 52K? JHC they must be thirsty for devs over there.

>I'm no professional.
And yet you've authored code for money in a professional setting.

Wrong. Learning C rather than C++ is retarded

don't bully him

Verilog, C, Python.

This

Maybe PHP and a TINY BIT of JS so you can do cool web stuff if you need a GUI

Just remember use sockets not shell_exec() for interfacing between ASM/C and PHP

html

idk about canada (i just assumed where you're from based on conversion rates, hope I didn't trigger you) but £31k is not that much here, I live in London man, median salary here is like 30k

also keep in mind we get heavily taxed over here, my bank account cashes in between £1850-2100 depending on bonuses and some other shit

it's good money considering i'm 22 but it's not like that kind of salary will allow me to thrive, I'm forced to share apartment even, which is why I'm asking what I asked, I'm considering leaving London and I'm pretty sure there is 0 chance of getting a programming job somewhere else with my current skills and experience

that is true, as so is that you know what I really meant when I said what I said

seriously why would you want to write a backend in assembler or C

C++, C#, Python

>biting twice
filtered

K.

Use C as a learning language. Once you learn that you can grasp any other language very easily.

If you want a good chance at becoming a programmer professionally, even if your skills turn out mediocre, then these:

Java, Javascript, PHP.

No matter the hate you'll get for it here.

just learn Delphi -- be a true hacker

Python, C++ and Javascript

>C/C++

wait I do this.... is this wrong??

Python
Java
C++

Well, yes. Modern C is far removed from modern C++. It doesn't really make much sense to group them, other than the fact they've both got "C" based names. May as well throw in C# then, and maybe some Objective C.

what if you learned C++ in the olden years and it were just a bunch of libraries to define some shit in C and don't actually know modern C++?

html
javascript
css

C++, C, Python

Consider C# as well.

Python, Java and C#

Python
Java
C++
Thing is, once you know C++/Java, the other is much easier to learn. I assume the same is true with a lot of the scripting languages, thought I only know perl

Python because it's simple but powerful

C because you'll learn how a computer works with pointers and memory management and stuff

Java because industry popularity and OOP

Also learn the basics of Haskell. Nothing special, just how to do very basic things with it because it'll force you to think differently about the same problems, which is a good skill to have as a programmer.

Learn one(1) "beginner" language (C, Java, Python, etc). Really take the time to learn the ins and outs so you can have a firm grasp of the fundementals. Then, think about what is it you want to actually do and read up on what languages are needed to do that and go from there.

Then don't put C++ down on your CV.

Racket
Common Lisp
Clojure

Java, C, Common Lisp

That way you generally cover all the bases - OOP, a low-level systems language and a general purpose highly expressive functional language.

C#, C# and C#

well
std::cout

std::cout

>tfw did that
>tfw landed my first job within first 2 weeks of sending my resume out
>tfw had five interviews overall within the span of 2 wks.

truly the greatest feel. then again, my background is kinda unique
>BS, Mathematics
>MS, Applied Mathematics
>MS, Mechanical Engineering (control systems concentration)
>PhD, Applied Math (returning in a year or two)
>Solid 3.5+ GPAs in all degrees.

i guess they overlooked the C/C++ thing. then again, maybe not ... considering they give me some projects that I have to code in C, others in C++.

Python, SQL, C

You're set for life.

by the time you learn your second programming language you'll basically know them all. get a sound base of a wide range of programming languages that you know very well instead. that way you'll start learning how you personally like to program and you'll be able to experiment from there to develop your style. in time, you'll know so many languages that you'll start picking a language for a task to maximize time and minimize effort.

there are several ways you can start. if we want to narrow it down to three, you could go by something like
>scripting language
>high level
>low level
in that case, perhaps something like Lua, Python, and C. that would be a decent way to spread out to get a feel of the different ways you can program, though I would personally replace C with something a bit more complex like Lisp so you can see just how much things can change and yet stay the same. just don't limit yourself too much

after all, the best language for the job might be one you don't know, so it really isn't the best language at all. you can do basically anything in most languages. just keep in mind performance with certain applications like 3d rendering. don't build a maya clone in ruby and you'll be good to go.
basically, everything the Sup Forumsay hipsters around here run on their ricing arch dualboots between playing games can be made in any programming language you might want to learn. in that way, you can narrow it down to two categories:
>for high performance, high performance languages
>for everything else, fast languages
in that case, you could build a great foundation out of C and Lua

lastly, just learn one. find projects made with it on git and steal their code to fuck around with while keeping a reference and tutorial handy

>:^)

psst....
[spoiler]std::endl[/spoiler]

What is the hard part about C++ and OOP?

>I'm wanting to learn 3 languages, what should they be?
English, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese.

If you are not going into web development, learn C#, Java and C++ as these are the most commonly used "industrial" languages.

If you are going into web development, learn Python, JavaScript and PHP.

What program language should I learn if I wanna go into bioinformatics?

OP here, FYI I'm looking to specialize more into big data, would Python, R, and JavaScript be the optimal combination?

Take a look at Julia, Julia is the future of data science. Its a scripting language with very easy to read python/ruby-like syntax. Its built from the ground up to replace R and Matlab. Its blazing fast. It compiles to machine code so it can do low level server programming.

R is just old, slow and is very limited to how much data it can process. The syntax is very limiting as it is designed to only do matrix programming for statistics. You end up having to reimplement things in C++/Java for speed and scalability and use scripting language like Python to do simple tasks.

Python is a stopgap language in that it is easy to learn and use but not really up to the task out of the box, you have to use special libraries to make it useable for big data.

Using Javascript is a joke, there are no standard libraries built into the language and dont tell me that node.js is a substitute for standard libraries.

SQL, R and then stop kidding yourself, you don't know SQL well enough because that shit-tier, Boyce-Codd-3NF-level-baby's-first-SQL course doesn't teach you fucking shit about shit, go pick up a real data warehousing and ETL textbook because "bioinformatics" is pretty much a fancy term for "specialized data warehousing and reporting but with a medical twist" even if that's not how they sell it and even if there are small, niche parts of it that aren't quite that. Then get into tuning specific databases to improve speed/availability of data. Then read up on why even traditional data warehouses are a little too slow for some things, and read up on the new hotnesses that will make a lot more sense once you have a foundation and a problem to solve that can't be solved with the basics.

>no data storage mentioned
>not even a joke-tier "I'm going to start using Hadoop in 2017 because muh data lakes" fuckup being made

What, are you planning on extracting and cleaning your data from the raw data every time you use it? Does that sound fast to you?

Must: C++ and Java
Then chose one from script langs.