Who here /Puppy Linux/, I have a seriously bad laptop so this is wonderful

Who here /Puppy Linux/, I have a seriously bad laptop so this is wonderful.

Is it a problem if I'm not really a Linux expert? I had some time on Manjaro and got a bit of knowledge but yeah.

How's this distro overall?

Other urls found in this thread:

bunsenlabs.org/
adeskbar.tuxfamily.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What kind of Laptoo do you have OP?

*Laptop

Is debian + lxde too heavyweight?
I'd be concerned about security with a distro like this

Lenovo IdeaPad S10-2
Cant really get anything better

Manjaro wasn't that bad, but with 1GB of RAM everything's ought to lag

Memes aside. Why not install Gentoo or something and make it very light?

Yes I thought about it, but as I said, I'm not an advanced Linux expert, I don't know how to do it

What about Debian with a lightweight DE? I used to use Debian + Openbox on my last laptop (it was shit too). Isn't that hard learn how to configure it, there is plenty guides on internet, and once you learn it, it gets really practical.

My whole desktop only used like 300Mb of Ram.

That's a really old laptop.

Because compiling stuff on weak laptop takes days. Gentoo is for high performancu computers even 4GB of ram is small when you compiling firefox or libreoffice.

I've never tried Debian, Arch with XFCE wasn't that bad, do you think there's that much difference? Any particular distro?

It is a really old laptop

Why not try simplicity linux? Seems to have a better UI than puppy.

I'm not sure about this minimal distros anymore, the package managing is probably not good

I have never tried Arch, but Debian is fits me, stable, probably the most stable GNU/Linux distro, apt-get pack manager, lightweight. Debian is really capable.

You should probably check this one: bunsenlabs.org/

found a pic related over the weekend and threw ubuntu minimal on it, works pretty well for an atom and 1GB ram. Browswers any heavier than midori/qutebrowser are pretty much out of the question but it works fine for light shitposting and most other things

Okay then user, I'll download it right now.

Thanks! I hope it fits me well
What DE does it come installed with?

I had one of those

you can run lubuntu on it quite comfortably

It looks really good, i was looking for a lightweight distro that doen't fail me it's aesthetic, thanks.

Opera 12 is good for shitposting. IIRC, there are some user groups providing essential fixes and cosmetic updates. As a bonus, monstrous abortions of modern web design like parallax scrolled landing sites, beautiful Tumblr themes, and Twitter do not work properly, so you learn not to use them.

It still works with many properly designed websites. It is really wonderful how functional and responsive properly made website can be.

does MPV work on puppy?

VLC does, so probably

OpenBox, if you dont know it, is a lightweight windows manager. You can watch some examples of Desktops running Openbox on the page of Bunsenlabs

Is a Windows manager the same thing as a desktop environment?

Install debian with XFCE or MATE
Your biggest issue is the RAM, so try not to do too much at once.

puppy is too limited in terms of software

what laptop?

Also see if you get buy another 1 gig stick of ram, 2 gigs is MUCH better than just a gig

No, it's not, a DE comes with a WM, but builds upon it. WM is the part that allows graphic elements to be drawn on the display and manage it, mouse, windows, interact with your keyboard etc.

Busenlabs come with Openbox fully functional (and with pipes and a lot of nice things!) and ready to use, so it's kinda like DE in this one case, but normally you would have to build your whole desk by yourself, starting with a black screen, whit anything. I had a really hard time the first time I used OB.
I've seen really aesthetic things done on Openbox.

bunsenlabs is great
you can't install from the live sessions

How then

select "install"

How to install slacko on hdd?

Thanks, I just finish download, gonna install now. Will post results later.

>will post results
"ok"

nice font

Put another gig in it if you can. A cheap SSD does wonders too

[S] + t

What does the [S] mean? Shift doesn't work

It's an Asus eee pc "seashell series"

I'll see if I can, ssd would be amazing, boot time is absolutely atrocious

>install gentoo
Compiling things takes forever when you have no ram and no other computer to make binary packages with. Compiling anything large like GCC could take days.

So i see everyone has at least 1GB of ram... Mine has 512MB, should i just throw it in the trash?

lubuntu mane, lubuntu

>4 hours later

op is kill

I want to like puppy linux, the stuff it does with saving its state and being able to easily restore it is pretty cool.

That being said, Most flavors of puppy come with shitty window managers, the puppy package manager is hands down the worst one on any distro and I don't even know who maintains the tools for the project at this point.

That being said their docs are decent so just read up on how they do things and you will be fine.

I played with Puppy Linux when I was 10 (I am 20 now). Now I'm just sticking with FreeBSD.

OP here, that wasn't me, but I am installing it at the moment

>tfw you type the word "gentoo" that much

It hurts not to say it user.
G---gento...stop

I have puppy Linux installed on a 500MB hard drive from 1995
Last i checked it worked just fine but that was years ago and i no longer have a computer with IDE headers

What would an ideal DE be when your GPU is the bottleneck?

Everything's working so far, updating the sources and stuff

Quoted here, mine is still installing, too.

Can I add a dock or something? The only way I see so far of accessing programs is right clicking the desktop

Ayy I have the same netbook. Used it as my only pc for 6+ years until I had saved nough to build a desktop.
It was really comfy with 2 gigs of ram and a light DE, but the windows 7 it came preloaded with was bogged down with bloat and shit which made it super fucking slow.

Older model laptops/netbooks were shipped with the worst fucking HDs ever. While you probably wont get the maximum speed from an ssd, it still makes a hell of a difference.

Just installed, but i'm having problem with the secondary monitor. ;_;
And i think there's no support for a old SIS mirage 3 graphics.

thanks for the info.

as a beginner with linux i appreciate the suggestions.

No problem m8, I'm a beginner as much you are, I only used GNU/Linux distros because all my laptops were shit.
Don't forget to download non-freesoftware keyring!
Look for lightweight docks like aDeskbar.
adeskbar.tuxfamily.org/
Sorry for taking time to answer, I was at job.

Oh fug. I only used on laptops so I never had this problem.
Probably the software was non-free so download the non-freesoftware keyring, search it on Debian page and install the .deb. I don't know what else tell you.
Isn't mine, is an example, you can found it on Bunsenlab frontpage

I'm retarded and already deleted my post because I realized I was looking at a downsampled image in the post instead of opening full size.
The font rendering was fine.

Forgive me.

No need to apologize, you're nice and cool, user!

tahrpup here. Works great. Good hw support for old laptops.
Playing youtube vids with only 512mb ram, 1.4ghz pentium m

I like it.